The Education Forum

One of the Good Guys - Loren Coleman

John Simkin wrote:

I have often wondered if this was also true of Phil Graham (3rd August 1963) who was mixing in the same circles as Tom Slick and Cord Meyer.

Slick, according to Loren Coleman, was a member of the National Advisory Board of the World Federalists, Cord Meyer, would be plagued by a right-wing assault, that ultimately was rejected by the Agency, that he was a Communist, or Com-Symp. Tom Slick's Institute for Inventive Research founded in 1944, was a product of the Essar Research & Development Co.,.

See page 27, Tom Slick & The Search For The Yeti - Loren Coleman - Faber & Faber - 1989

I would be most curious to see if any of the Paine, Young, or Rockefeller families were associated with Essar....But the main reason I updated this thread, was to inform John Simkin, that Burton Hersh mentions in his book, that Ellen Romesch

the German bombshell, was linked to FBI investigations re Phil Graham's August '63 suicide.

see page 364 Bobby and J Edgar: The Bitter Face-Off Between the Kennedy's & Hoover

Edited by Robert Howard

• 10 months later...
Guest Tom Scully
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/itemsofinterest/centennial/centennial_storypage.asp?ID=070109_Ne_A13_Hisea38536

His ears cracked kidnap case

By GENE CURTIS World Staff Writer

1/9/2007

The victim's attention to detail and good memory were the keys to solving the 1933 kidnapping of a wealthy Oklahoma City oilman.

Charles F. Urschel and his wife, Bernice, were playing bridge with Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Jarrett on July 22 on the sun porch of their home when two men pushed open the screen door and came inside. One carried a revolver; the other a machine gun....

...No one identified the oilman, so one of the gunmen said, "We'll take you both." They forced Urschel and Jarrett into a car and sped away after warning the women not to make an outcry.

The kidnappers, later identified as George "Machine Gun" Kelly and Albert Bates, threw Jarrett out of the car a few miles away after they determined which man was Urschel by examining the wallets they found in the victims' pockets. They tied Urschel hand and foot, bandaged his eyes tightly and placed cotton in his ears so he couldn't hear.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Urschel telephoned police, who called FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover in Washington.

The abductors took Urschel to a farm near Paradise, Texas, where he was kept blindfolded through

his nine days of captivity except for once when he was told to write a note asking that a ransom be paid and another time when he was allowed to shave. ...

...The FBI found the farm by checking airline schedules and flying on the two flights, using binoculars to find a farm with two houses Urschel had described at the times he had remembered.

Finding guinea hens at one of the houses and pigs at the other, the FBI raided the farm, which was owned by the R.G. Shannon family. Mrs. Shannon's daughter was Kelly's wife. Agents found Urschel's fingerprints, which he had left on as many surfaces as possible to prove that he had been there.

Harvey Bailey, the leader of a notorious break of 11 convicts from a Kansas prison, was found asleep on a cot in the back yard with a machine gun by his side. His pockets contained some of the ransom money. The remaining members of the kidnap gang, including Kelly, were rounded up within a few weeks.

The Kellys, the Shannons, Bates and Bailey were sentenced to life in prison. Other members of the gang got shorter terms.

The kidnappers probably singled out Urschel because of his estimated $75 million wealth. He had been a protege of Tom B. Slick, who became wealthy as the "king of the wildcatters," and had married Slick's widow about a year before the kidnapping, giving him control of both his own fortune and Slick's.

Slick had died in 1930, and Urschel's first wife, Slick's sister, had died a year later.

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/u/ur009.html

URSCHEL KIDNAPPING

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,855357,00.html

Business: The Slick Brothers

Monday, Jan. 28, 1946

At San Antonio's tortilla-flat Alamo Field last week, 50 men in coveralls scurried over, under, into, out of and around nine fat-bodied Curtiss Commando planes. They installed refrigeration equipment in some, heaters in others. On the silver sides of all nine, they painted the royal blue insignia of a brand-new air-freight enterprise: Slick Airways, Inc.

Less than two months, ago, Slick Airways was still just a daydream much like the daydreams of 100,000 other soldier flyers. Unlike most others, this one was backed by 1) plenty of cash and 2) rough-&-ready business savvy. Both were supplied largely by two brothers, dark-haired, studious Thomas Baker Slick Jr., 29, and sandy-haired, easygoing Earl Frates Slick, 25-Money & Ideas. The Slick brothers are sons of famed Tom Slick, "king of the wildcatters," and stepsons of Oilman Charles Urschel* (after Tom Slick died, his partner Urschel married his widow). The brothers were not content to live on $10,000 a year apiece left them by their father, nor wait till they inherited the bulk of the $25,000,000 Slick fortune.

Hardly had they finished their schooling at Exeter and Yale when they started wildcatting for themselves. In partnership with Stepbrother Charles Urschel Jr., they operated Slick Oil Co., struck it lucky in south Texas and in Mississippi. Tom Slick Jr. branched out. He got dozens of patents on gadgets he invented, everything from fishhooks to oilfield equipment; he ran an experimental Hereford breeding farm, launched a frozen-food locker. When war came, he went to work for the Federal Government on oil jobs, went into the Navy and is now on his way home from Japan to aid the latest family venture.

The idea of the airline was Earl Slick's. He had mixed flying lessons with his wildcatting, had been a wartime pilot in the Air Transport Command. Not long after he became a civilian last December, he heard that nine surplus Army Curtiss Commandos were up for sale. In Washington, he walked into RFC's surplus-plane division one day at i p.m., came out at 1:15 owning the planes. The price : $247,000.

"After that," said young Slick, "things really began to move fast."

Seafood & Vegetables. He hired 35 ex-Army flyers as pilots, promising them also a share of profits; showed oil companies how rigs could be broken down and air-freighted in six-ton (C46 capacity) lots. The oil companies are ready to sign contracts when Slick gives the word. He lined up cargoes of vegetables, seafood, etc. to be flown north, merchandise to be flown back to Texas stores. ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=MPr2FmWyZFoC&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=earl+slick+yale&source=bl&ots=tklA849PFD&sig=E2nUzc9F47Hw4dNZj4AmFBH-1Dk&hl=en&ei=jYx9TYPXCeGS0QHRyujfAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=earl%20slick%20yale&f=false

The ATL-98 Carvair: a comprehensive history of the aircraft and ... - Google Books Result

William Patrick Dean, Michael O'Callaghan - 2008 - Transportation - 407 pages

Slick was formed in January 1946 by Earl Frates Slick and Colonel Sam Dunlap III. Slick ... Slick attended Yale and joined the Army Air Corp in 1941. ..

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,805788,00.html

AVIATION: Slicked Up

Monday, Mar. 05, 1951

At Douglas Aircraft's plant in Santa Monica, workers this week put the finishing touches on the first DC-6A built for all-cargo operations. On the silver sides the pressurized, 325-m.p.h. plane was painted the owner's name: "Slick Airways Inc." Said 30-year-old Chairman Earl F. Slick: "For five years we didn't even know if we could stay alive. Now we can't grow fast enough."

Hard-driving Texan Slick was not merely talking Texas-style. Last week, he reported that in 1950 his all-freight airline finally got over the hump, had a $506,608 profit after taxes. It was the first year Slick had been out of the red since he and his fellow pilots from the Air Transport Command started the shoestring line in 1946 (TIME, Jan. 28, 1946). Moreover, they had hauled almost twice as much freight as the year before—45,318,000 ton-miles, 26% of all U.S. air cargo and far more than Slick's closest rival, huge American Airlines (36,606,771 ton-miles).

Out of the profits, Earl Slick is putting up $500,000 of the $1,000,000 cost of his first DC-6A; Manhattan's Bankers Trust Co. lent the balance. With 1951's business still gaining (February profit: $150,000 before taxes), Slick has made similar deals for two more DC-6As to be delivered later this year, for a total $3,500,000 expansion. The three new planes (payload: 30,000 Ibs. each) will boost his cargo capacity almost 50%.

Ground Loops. Slick and his hard-flying airmen had turned the corner none too soon. Though they had proved they could drum up a lot of freight business—from 11 million ton-miles in 1946 to 26.4 million in 1949—they had trouble proving they could make it pay. Several times they had edged into the black only to groundloop into operating losses that totaled $2,440,000. If Earl Slick had not been able to tap his family's Texas oil millions, the airline probably would have cracked up.

Slick lost heavily in a two-year rate war with American and other big scheduled airlines that ended in 1948 when CAB set up minimum rates based on Slick's costs. Slick got a bigger break in 1949 when CAB gave him a 52-city, transcontinental route tapping the major traffic centers. Thus, for the first time, he could fly regular, advertised schedules.

Calm Air. Slick drummed up new trade (textiles, television and auto parts) and opened up new markets, flying Christmas mistletoe from Dallas to Manhattan, Texas okra to Detroit's big colony of Southern workers. Last year, after complaining to CAB that airmail-subsidized American and the big boys were still harassing his unsubsidized line, Slick slapped a $30 million suit on them, charging antitrust violations. After that, he says, they let him alone.

By last spring Slick had enough business to get his loads above the break-even point (70%). Then the Korean war brought a rush of defense business, and the line's tonnage soared from 2,900,000 ton-miles in June to almost 6,000,000 in December...

http://www.google.com/search?q=earl+f.+slick&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&tbs=nws:1,ar:1&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=zYx9TeWKCJGatwepqaS6BQ&ved=0CBQQpwUoCg

Changes in Holdings

Pay-Per-View - Wall Street Journal - Aug 6, 1964

Earl F. Slick. Lewis J. Moorman. Jr.. and Charles F Urschel. Jr-. independent executors of the estate of Tom aiick. Ixneficial owner of mom than 70^~ of the ...

PEOPLE AND EVENTS

Pay-Per-View - Chicago Tribune - Aug 16, 1960

The election of John E. Gallagher as a vice president and director of Slick Airways, Inc., was announced by Earl F. Slick, chairman. ...

Slick Airways Reorganized

$3.95 - New York Times - Sep 12, 1950

Thomas L. Grace, vice president of operations, was elected president, replacing Earl F. Slick; founder of the airline, who continues as chairman of the ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=%22slick+oil%22+zapata&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

King of the wildcatters: the life and times of Tom Slick, 1883-1930

Ray Miles - 1996 - 166 pages - Snippet view

Bee, Goliad, Duvall, Starr, Zapata, and Young Counties. Most of the production that resulted from Slick and SRC drilling in late 1929 and 1930 ... On April 15, 1929, he chartered the Tom Slick Oil Company with himself as the president. ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=%22slick+oil%22+dresser&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

World oil: Volume 134

1952 - Snippet view

Tom Slick, Oil Man, Is Elected Director of Dresser Industries Tom Slick, oil capitalist and philanthropist, has been elected a director of Dresser Industries, Inc. Slick, a partner in the Slick-Moorman Oil Company, Slick- Urschel Oil ...

Tom Slick: True Life Encounters in Cryptozoology

Loren Coleman - 2002 - 177 pages - Snippet view

In Tom Slick, Jr.'s, short life he was a partner in Slick-Moorman Land and Cattle Company; Chairman of the Board of Slick Oil Company and of Transworld Resources Corporation; Director at Dresser Industries ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=tom+slick+beechcraft&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&tbs=nws:1,ar:1&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=-9h9TfycEZKWtweOsrW6BQ&ved=0CA8QpwUoBQ

THOMAS SLICK, 46, DIES IN AIR CRASH; Oilman and Philanthropi...

- New York Times - Oct 8, 1962

... a Beechcraft Bonanza 35, apparently disintegrated fin flight. ... Thomas Baker Slick, whose late father, Tom Slick, was known as the "king of the ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&q=urschel%20mallon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=bks:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wp

The story of Southwest Research Center: a private, nonprofit, ...

Harold Vagtborg - 1973 - 610 pages - Snippet view

ROARI D OF GOV TRMHRQ o\jf\W\ Board of Governors t-isrNv-Jisj Robert Ash Chairman, HN Mallon Sylvan Lang John J. Cox Lewis J. Moorman, Jr. Leroy G. Denman, J r. Guy E. Reed Elmer A. Dittmar Earl F. Slick James H. Drumm CF Urschel Joe ...

Gas age: Volume 109

1952 - Snippet view

HN Mallon, Dresser president, said, in announcing the election: "The acquirement of Mr. Slick's talented services through his acceptance of this directorship is a valued addition to Dresser's board.

In addition to our own executives, we have been most fortunate in securing some of the ablest men in the nation to serve the corporation." Mr. Slick's father showed his enterprise by establishing a monopoly on the Cushing oil field.

He hired away every horse and buggy in town to keep competition from reaching the field and sent all the notaries on paid vacations to stall anyone from registering a lease.

The son has carried on his father's name and fortune as a partner in the Slick-Moorman Oil Co. and Slick-Ur- schel Oil Co.

This group, which includes his brother, Earl, Charles F. Urschel, Sr. and Jr., and members of the Hewgley family, has developed properties in the Tinsley oil field near Yazoo City

on a plantation his father purchased years before. This became the first sizable oil production in Mississippi. Shortly after drilling the Tinsley field, the group drilled the discovery well on the South Caesar field in south Texas.

Mr. Slick launched the Foundation of Applied Research six years ago with the gift of a valuable oil property located in the Tins- ley field.

His purpose was to build a scientific research organization to benefit mankind through improvements in agriculture and industry.

Associated with this project the oilman started the Essar Ranch (S for Scientific and R for Research) by purchasing various tracts of land just west of San Antonio....

http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/bolandletters/index.html

Foreword: In 1975 while living in San Antonio, Texas, and working at Southwest Research Institute(SwRI), the author started encountering sporadic, physical surveillance in the workplace and on business trips. In early 1976, the next year, the author was contacted by a CIA officer who was operating out of an agency office in Austin, Texas, and asked to assist them in recruiting a foreign national as a spy. (While the author was employed there over the period 1964 to 1978, SwRI performed a lot of classified work for the CIA.) On the day of the first visit of the CIA officer to the author's home, the author and his family members were placed under continuous surveillance. As of this update, the surveillance is still in progress but at a level below earlier years. In 1978, after concluding that this illegal surveillance was not going to stop, the author started sending letters of complaint to high level officials of the U.S. government. One such letter is the following, which was sent to the Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

Signed Originally: William Albert Hewgley

August 15, 2000

A. Reprinted Letter Without Attachments

CONFIDENTIAL

November 26, 1984

To:

Representative Edward P. Boland, Chairman

House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence

2426 Rayburn Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

William A. Hewgley

1512 Shady Lane

Kingston, Tennessee 37763

Dear Mr. Boland:

Thank you for your letter of November 7, 1984, which was in reply to my letters to you dated August 11, 1984 and September 18, 1984.

Inasmuch as your initial inquiries to the CIA and FBI (Author's Note: At this time, William J. Casey was the Director of the CIA and William H. Webster was the Director of the FBI) were not productive, I will provide sufficient information below which should enable you to retrieve the proper covert operational files for your use. Some of the information below is confidential but you are cleared for such information and require it in order to conduct a review of my allegations. My copies of this letter will be kept in a safe deposit box for safeguarding.

After phoning me on February 17, 1976 for an appointment, Mr. Jack Kuehn of the CIA Austin, Texas office visited me in my San Antonio home on February 23, 1976. (Author's Note: On this date, Gerald R. Ford was President, George H.W. Bush was Director of the CIA, and Clarence Kelley was the Director of the FBI.) Concurrent with his visit, surveillance of my family started; it has never ceased since that point. Mr. Kuehn exhibited his CIA credentials, gave me his business card (Attachment 1) and briefed me on the purpose of his visit. The gist of it was this: The CIA was interested in Mr. Nam Ho, a South Korean nuclear engineer who had recently come to Southwest Research Institute to stay approximately 10 months. Mr. Ho was in the United States on an IAEA fellowship, and his objective was to become trained in quality assurance as applied to nuclear reactors. He was assigned to my group to receive this training. Mr. Kuehn debriefed me on what I knew about Mr. Ho and recorded the session with his tape recorder. Attachment 2 is a copy of the notes I took immediately following our session.

In subsequent discussions via phone, I was told by Mr. Kuehn that the CIA wished me to introduce Mr. Ho to them, so that they could initiate an agent recruitment process. I learned that the CIA hoped that Mr. Ho would eventually be in position to provide information to them on the nuclear weapons capability of South Korea.

On April 15, 1976, Mr. Kuehn again visited my home and brought with him Mr. Anthony M. Landels, a CIA agent with a cover of Associate with a CIA cover firm named Norbeck. Attachment 3 is a copy of the business card Mr. Landels provided me. (Later, Mr. Kuehn informed me that the Landels name may or may not be the agent's real name.) Also, later I was told by Mr. Kuehn that the FBI had been notified about the CIA's interest in Mr. Ho.

Subsequently, a meeting was arranged, with Mr. Ho, Mr. Landels, and me in attendance. Mr. Landels proceeded with the recruitment process from that point and I had no further contacts with him thereafter. Later, however, while reading Mr. Ho's final report, dated December 27, 1976, I realized that not only had the recruitment process proceeded but that Mr. Ho had blown the cover of the various participants involved in the recruitment process (see Attachment 4).

A couple of events occurred during the 10 months stay of Mr. Ho which suggested that he was either an agent of South Korea (KCIA) or a double agent involving South Korea and North Korea. It is not appropriate for me to go into the details of this in this letter, but it is significant that my family was subjected to the heaviest level of surveillance during the period of Mr. Ho's stay in San Antonio.

The surveillance was overwhelming to us, and we had great difficulty in coping with it. Beginning on February 23, 1976, it took on the appearance of a protective umbrella. Later, it was to become vicious, taking on the appearance of punitive, political surveillance.

After the initial visit of Mr. Kuehn, our neighborhood in San Antonio overnight became a CIA/ FBI covert operations center. Neighbors, as well as others, became involved in watching us. Surveillance networks were established at Southwest Research Institute where I worked; at the John Marshall High School where William Allen, my son, attended; at Pat Neff Middle School where Robert Andrew, my other son, attended; at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church where our family attended church; and so on. We were being protected, so we thought, and the CIA and FBI helpers engaged in the operations were, in their mind, doing their country a service by conducting surveillance on us.

On February 12, 1978, one of my sons and I went into the attic of our San Antonio home to search for eavesdropping devices. We had been aware from the first days of the surveillance that every word we uttered in our home was being received by the CIA and FBI. This had been so distressing to us that we decided that we must find and disable the devices.

That day we discovered an eavesdropping system in the attic and were able to pinpoint the specific wire used as an antenna. Microphone pickups had been installed in the living room ceiling, in a hallway partition, in a partition between the master bedroom and William Allen's bedroom, and in the partition of my wife's and my bathroom. I cut the cables to disable them, prepared diagrams of the installation, and took photographs. From that date on, we were subjected to a higher level of intimidation and we realized for the first time how very vulnerable our family was. We could be killed and no relative or friend would know that we had ever been involved in this terrible surveillance nightmare. This realization, as well as health problems caused by the surveillance, prompted me on March 4, 1978 to send my first letter to the executive branch of the Federal government (see letter from me to Admiral Stansfield Turner, dated March 4, 1978).(Author's Note: On this date, Stansfield Turner was the Director of the CIA.)

Who were the participants in the surveillance described above? We have evidence that the prime participants were the CIA and FBI. We are aware that part of the time military covert agents were also participating, probably as part of a multi-agency anti-terrorist training program. We can identify scores of participants-- give their names, addresses, describe their roles in the surveillance, dates, etc. Also, I have recordings of license plates of vehicles employed in the surveillance. Finally, I have photographic coverage of certain facets of the surveillance.

The above describes only a fraction of the surveillance which took place in San Antonio during the period February 1976 to March 1978. There is much more to report for the period March 1978 to date, but that is beyond the scope of this letter. As mentioned in the introduction, I hope by providing you with this information that you will be able to successfully ferret out the CIA and FBI operational files for this covert operation.

In closing, I would like to suggest that I come to Washington to discuss this matter in more detail. I would bring representative evidence collected to date, as well as summary level evidence, so you could receive the substance of my allegations. I am available to come up anytime. Please advise as to a suitable time and place for this meeting.

Also enclosed (Attachment 5) is biographical data giving background information on each member of our family. I thought you might wish to know more about us in view of the serious charges we have made.

We greatly appreciate your efforts on this matter.

Very truly yours,

William A. Hewgley (Signed)

William A. Hewgley (Typed)

WAH/ cph

Attachments (5)

B. Letter Mailing Verification

1. Letter was mailed at the U.S.P.O. in Kingston, Tennessee on November 26, 1984 under Registered Number 269-295-647, dated November 26, 1984. A Return Receipt (PS Form 3811, Dec.1980) was submitted with the letter.

2. On November 30, 1984, the Return Receipt was received by the author. It had been properly signed and dated November 28, 1984 at the point of delivery.

C. Reply from the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence

No reply was ever received.

D. CIA Vetting

A copy of the above letter in its entirety was vetted by the Central Intelligence Agency prior to my publication of it on the world wide web.

E. Letter Under Oath

During a legal proceeding held in the late 1980s, this complete letter, including attachments, was entered into evidence under oath by the author.

This website is maintained by:

William Albert Hewgley...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=nws%3A1%2Car%3A1&q=soviets+see+espionage+in+u.s.+snowman+hunt+tom+slick&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Soviet Sees Espionage In US Snowman Hunt

‎ - New York Times - Apr 27, 1957

The Soviet Government today credited the Western powers with a ... Ark, . , , Izwestia presumably. was alluding--to--an expedition sled by Tom Slick of ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&tbo=1&tbs=bks%3A1&q=%22Until+1956%2C+the+CIA+proprietary+worked+through+a*%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Defrauding America: Volume 2 - Page 268

Rodney Stich - 2008 - 496 pages - Google eBook - Preview

....This permitted the CIA to hide their shipments under the name, Air-Sea Forwarders. Air Asia operated the largest airplane maintenance facility in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. Until 1956, the CIA proprietary worked through a company called Slick Airways (for whom I flew as pilot for a brief period while furloughed from my regular airline, Transocean Airlines)....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=%22coincided+with+the+invasion+of+Tibet+by+the+Chinese+and+the+ouster+of+the+Dalai+Lama.+Supposedly%2C+Tom*%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Just East of Eden - Page 206

Eric Wilder - 2007 - 244 pages - Preview

... for the Abominable Snowman is the most bizarre. He financed an expedition to Tibet in search of Yeti. The expedition coincided with the invasion of Tibet by the Chinese and the ouster of the Dalai Lama. Supposedly, Tom, Jr. worked with the CIA...

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Commercial_Aviation/AirFreight/Tran10.htm

A History of Commercial Air Freight

...In general, entrepreneurs found it difficult to enter the air freight market because of resistance from the established passenger carriers. The passenger airlines believed that new air freight airlines that offered low rates and irregular services would destabilize the whole commercial aviation sector. The established air carriers, who had formed Air Cargo, Inc., were especially afraid of smalltime operators such as Slick Airways, Flying Tiger, California Eastern, and others. Through the late 1940s, these small airlines, the established giants, and the government's Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) wrangled over how to hand out contracts and set the proper rates for freight transport. In August 1949, the CAB finally gave permission to four all-freight airlines to operate. These were Slick, Flying Tiger, U.S. Airlines, and Airnews.

Neither U.S. Airlines nor Airnews survived long. U.S. Airlines operated for a while on the New York-Miami route on Air Force contracts but a series of accidents in 1952 as well as the threat of bankruptcy folded the airline. Airnews met a similar fate in June 1951 after incurring heavy losses.

The two that did survive were Slick Airways, which was founded by Earl F. Slick in January 1946, and Flying Tiger. When it began service, Slick operated a fleet of 10 Curtiss C-46E aircraft. By the end of the 1940s, the company had become the country's most successful all air freight operator. Although Slick enjoyed moderate growth, it also faced problems. Established passenger carriers such as American Airlines had introduced all-freight flights that offered stiff competition. Since the passenger airlines could rely on established facilities and routes, their fixed costs for transporting cargo were lower. Under threat from the passenger airlines, Slick and Flying Tiger decided to merge into one airline in 1954. Unfortunately, labor problems at both airlines prompted them to abandon this idea. The failure to merge was a big blow to both airlines. Slick continued operations for a while but temporarily closed down in February 1958, unable to compete with the big passenger airlines. The company claimed that lack of government support for all-freight airlines had been the major cause of their downfall. Although Slick resumed operations in October 1962, the CAB eventually suspended Slick's activities in August 1965. The company's operations were acquired by other smaller freight carriers....

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/e-slick-obit/

Posted by: Loren Coleman on June 3rd, 2007

Earl F. Slick

Earl F. Slick, 86, whose brother will forever be tied to Yeti, died on May 13, 2007, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The family delayed a public announcement until after services and his burial.

He is shown above in the 1940s, with a model of one of the air freight carriers in his then-new company.

Earl F. Slick was the brother of Tom Slick, the millionaire adventurer and Yeti hunter of the 1950s and early 1960s.

Earl served as a pilot in World War II, and was linked to the famed Flying Tigers that transported cargo across the Himalayas during the War....

Thanks Roy. I got confused by the Red 'Thunderbird' and the Red 'Ford.'

But since Bill mentions Dresser Industries. Has anyone seen the letter dated October 30, 1963 To Neil Mallon of Dresser Industries from Allen Dulles?

The text is below

October 30, 1963

MR. H.N. Mallon

Dresser Industries, Inc.

Republic National Bank Buiding

Dallas, Texas

Dear Neil:

I want to thank you for a delightful evening spent at

your house and the opportunity that I had to get to know your charming bride.

I hope that Clover and I will have an opportunity to entertain you both

here in Washington. Please let us know if you plan to be here.

Sincerely,

Allen W. Dulles

awd:mk

1 - Texas file

1 - chr

As an aside, which I am sure you know, according to the February 26, 1967 edition of the Houston Chronicle in the article

"Secret Use of Public Money: CIA and Foundations," there is a section which reads "The Republic National Bank of Dallas was trustee for another conduit."

Material cited is from 'Oswald's Closest Friend' by Bruce Campbell Adamson.

The Dulles-Mallon letter was an actual copy.

....Last but not least are the esoteric activities of Tom Slick, who passed through Indonesia back then...He seems to be, IMO a real good deep cover candidate for intelligence gathering in a hot spot, which Indonesia certainly was......But that is a very speculative comment.

Obviously, Indonesia was a rather important piece of geography, not unlike the Congo, which certainly had its own share of spook encounters........

JFK and the Buckleys, Paines and Forbes

You know I think Linda Minor has got the JFK hit pretty much nailed and does not even know it yet.

In Part One of this series we dealt with the names of men who gained control of the Harvard Corporation in the early 1800's--whose self-appointed successors still maintain control of the funds of that institution today. We showed how those men made their family fortunes by trading in slaves and drugs (opium). We also showed how they purchased respectability by donating enough money to Harvard to allow them to continue their control of the university management, a position which makes their status as drug dealers almost impossible to be believed by the average American.

The drug syndicate was set up to smuggle the narcotic opium into China, alongside the British East India Company's smugglers. The syndicate was based in Newburyport, Massachusetts, and London, England, and was financed, as the East India Company was, by Britain's Baring bank. This racket, smuggling chiefly Turkish opium, provided the bulk of the family fortunes for the Cabots and other prominent ``blue-blood'' Boston families.

In Part Two we showed that the same Harvard men in Massachusetts who made their wealth from dealing in drugs were connected by family and business relationships to the board of the Yale Corporation, and that it was, in fact, a successor-in-name to the Perkins, Sturgis and Forbes company--Russell and Company--which started Skull and Bones at Yale. It was the Germanic philosophy of Hegel learned by William H. Russell that guided him and his successors in financing competing sides of every political and

social issue in order to control the outcome and arrive at a greater degree of power. Because of this philosophy, the Hegelian drug lords have no problem supporting candidates from both Yale and Harvard. Whoever wins, the drug lords can count on protection.

The final part of this series has two goals: First to show that the successors of the opium smuggling companies in America quickly established a system to use their dirty profits as "venture capital" for direct investment in strategic industries and, secondly, that they funneled "charitable" donations into educational institutions to control both the huge tax-exempt endowments and to create a mask of respectability and generosity to hide the true nature of their character....

...HOW GEORGE H. W. BUSH'S CAREER DEVELOPED BY HIS USE OF SOURCES OF CAPITAL.

When George H.W. Bush arrived in Texas after graduation from Yale, his career began with an interview with Neil Mallon, president of Dresser Industries in Dallas. Dresser, which owned the patent for the coupling joint used in laying petroleum pipelines, was a corporation wholly owned by the investment bank Brown Brothers, Harriman. Prescott Bush was a director of Dresser for decades, as well as being a partner in Brown Brothers Harriman--which had resulted from the merger of the bank set up by Prescott's father-in-law, George Herbert Walker, at the request of the sons of Union Pacific Railroad tycoon E.H. Harriman. Walker had previously had his own investment bank in St. Louis where he financed railroads which eventually became part of the system known as the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe. An investment bank still exists in St. Louis under the operation of the Walker side of the family, but that city is also the home of George H.W. Bush's brother, William H.T. "Bucky" Bush, who is a past Missouri GOP state finance chairman.

Neil Mallon had been hired as Dresser's first president after it was purchased by Brown Brothers Harriman. It was his first real job after he completed his education, plus at least six months in the European Alps, where it might be worth noting that Allen Dulles had been stationed from 1942 until after the end of World War II. The Mallon family had strong ties to the Tafts, which had been involved in the formation of the Russell Trust (eventually to become known as Skull and Bones). It was Mallon who gave George his first job after graduation from the same university and as a member of the same secret society--an elite group to which George Walker, Prescott Bush and both Harriman sons belonged.

When Mallon went to work for Dresser, the company was based in Cleveland, Ohio, the same city where John D. Rockefeller had started his career as a merchant before his expansion into oil production was financed by one of the three U.S. banks owned by N.M. Rothschild of London. While in Cleveland, Mallon was very active in the Council on World Affairs, which had been organized in the mid-1930s by Brooks Emeny. The Council on Foreign Relations had been set up in New York in 1921, quickly imitated by the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations in 1922. The World Affairs Councils are

a segment of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), which is apparent from

its link to the website for the CFR's magazine, Foreign Affairs:

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/links.html The history of the Council is briefly set out at its own website, http://www.worldaffairscouncils.org/Missio...ory/history.htm .

Dresser relocated its headquarters to Dallas in 1950, and Mallon helped to organize another Council on World Affairs in that city. The operation of that organization was his "chief outside interest." [source: Darwin Payne, Initiative in Energy, pp. 248-49.] One of the employees Mallon hired was a man named Hans Bernd Gisevius, with the assignment of working on a worldwide economic development program called the "Institute on Technical Cooperation." [source: Richard Bartholomew, "Possible Discovery of an Automobile Used in the JFK Conspiracy"--unpublished manuscript, p. 48; and Bruce Campbell Adamson, "Oswald's Closest Friend: The George

DeMohrenschildt Story"--unpublished manuscript, 1993)--Bush chapter, p. 31.

Adamson accused Mallon of using Dresser as a cover for CIA activities.]

Gisevius was a German Abwehr (German Intelligence) agent whose diplomatic cover was vice-consul at the German consulate in Zurich while Allen Dulles was there as the head of U.S. intelligence. While in Switzerland Dulles began a long-lasting love affair with a woman named Mary Bancroft, who is our Harvard link. Her stepmother's stepfather was Clarence W. Barron, then publisher of the Wall St. Journal, which he purchased in 1902. In 1907, the step-daughter of Clarence Barron, Jane Barron, married Hugh Bancroft. The Bancroft represented the high Boston Tory faction; they were among the first settler families that, in 1632, founded Lynn, Massachusetts. During the next 50 years, the family was the sole exporter for the Massachusetts Bay Colony, of sugar and tobacco, a trade that made it immensely wealthy.

By the first decade of the twentieth century, Hugh Bancroft's father, John, was chairman of the Brahmin-owned Boston Elevated Railway, and was a member of the board of overseers of Harvard University. Hugh Bancroft attended Harvard, where he was admitted to the elite Hasty Pudding Club. In 1912, Bancroft was made treasurer of Dow Jones, the holding company of the Journal. He became president in 1928, upon Clarence Barron's death. By that time, Bancroft and his family controlled the majority of Dow Jones & Company's shares.

The Wall Street Journal represents a merger of Boston and New York interests. Boston's ``State Street'' financial center is run by the treasonous families that made their money in the British-run China opium trade: the Cabots, Perkins, Coolidges, Russells, Cushings, Lowells, et al. Wall Street was created and is run by the Tory faction, which followed the policy of Bank of Manhattan founders, and American traitors, Aaron Burr and John Jacob Astor. At the heart of the Journal is the aristocratic Bancroft family of Boston. The Bancroft family continues to be the most significant

shareholder of Dow Jones and the Wall Street Journal today, through Hugh Bancroft's descendants, including Jane Bancroft Cook, a Journal board member; the Cox family (Christopher Cox sits on the Journal's board); and socialite Elizabeth Goth. See

http://members.tripod.com/~american_almanac/wallst2.htm

http://www.forbes.com/tool/toolbox/richlist/8113.htm

In 1943 Dulles asked Mary Bancroft, who was working as a spy in Zurich, and who was also having sex with Dulles, to translate a book written by Gisevius about the Third Reich. Gisevius and some of his fascists Abwehr associates had been the planners of the July 20th plot to kill Hitler with the idea of forming an alliance with Britain and the U.S. against Russia. [source: Mary Bancroft, Autobiography of a Spy (New York: William Morrow, 1983), pp. 187-88.]

According to Bancroft: "I told Allen it all made sense to me. Difficult as it might be to believe, the conspirators actually hoped that if they got rid of Hitler they would be able to take over the whole country and to negotiate peace with the Anglo-Americans. Their hopes went even further: They envisaged the western Allies joining them in a crusade against Russia -- and communism. Gisevius had been sent to Switzerland to get in touch with the western Allies. Other emissaries were making similar contacts in Sweden and elsewhere." [source: Bancroft, Autobiography..., pp. 161, 168-170.] Mary Bancroft's report back to Dulles reminds us of what eventually did occur in Operation Paperclip, when Dulles helped certain Nazis avoid prosecution for war crimes, transfer Nazi assets into U.S. corporations, and set up the military-industrial infrastructure within the United States.

Mary Bancroft's first husband, Sherwin Badger, was a Harvard graduate whose first job had been in the head office of United Fruit in Cuba. After a year in Cuba he became a journalist in Boston, later moving to the Wall Street Journal and Barron's in New York, both of which were published by Mary's stepfather, Clarence Walker Barron. Mary also had a long friendship with George Lymon Paine and Ruth Forbes Paine, whose son Michael Paine and his wife Ruth befriended Marina Oswald the year prior to John Kennedy's assassination. The Paines were from Boston and both had family trees tying them to the United Fruit Co.--through Michael's mother (a niece of W. Cameron Forbes) and his father (a descendant of Thomas Dudley Cabot, a former president of United Fruit).

Michael Paine's uncle, Eric Schroeder, was a friend and investment associate of geologist Everette DeGolyer, a long-time Dresser Industries director, who served on

the board with Prescott Bush. Schroeder was a cousin of Alexander "Sandy" Forbes, former director of United Fruit who "belonged to the elite Tryall Golf Club retreat in Jamaica with ... Paul Raigorodsky," who has been linked to the Kennedy assassination by the Torbitt Document.

[source: Richard Bartholomew, "Possible Discovery," p. 38. See also Mary Bancroft, "Autobiography of a Spy" (New York: William Morrow, 1983). DeGolyer was an advisor to the University of Texas Board of Regents and its chairman, Harry Huntt Ransom, and was also a business partner of Lewis MacNaughton in the Dallas oil exploration firm DeGolyer and MacNaughton. MacNaughton had many CIA contacts and his personal accountant, George Bouhe, was one of Oswald's chief Russian guardians in Dallas in 1962. See Lon Tinkle, Mr. De: A Biography of Everette Lee DeGolyer, (Boston, MA: Little, Brown, 1970), pp. 224, 239 and Peter Dale Scott, The Dallas Conspiracy, ch. III, p. 6. Bartholomew cites as a source: Peter Dale Scott, "Government Documents and the Kennedy Assassination," (unpublished manuscript), ch. II, p. 4, and states: "Note: The St. Nicholas Parish was a CIA-subsidized Russian Orthodox church outside Russia, restricted to aristocratic anti-Bolshevik Russians who had been 'checked, rechecked, and double checked' by the CIA-subsidized Tolstoy Foundation. (9 H 5, 7, cited in Scott, Government Documents..., ch. II, p. 1.)"]

Everett DeGolyer became a famous geologist from Oklahoma, who spent his entire career working for the Pearson oil companies controlled by the same titled family that

owned both the media conglomerate and Lazard Brothers investment bank. He was a long-time Dresser director in Dallas where he was a geophysical consultant for all the oil companies. His had begun when as a young man he was employed by the Mexican Eagle Oil Co., owned by Sir Weetman Pearson, who called him to London in 1918 and asked him to sell Mexican Eagle to Royal Dutch Shell. The proceeds from the sale were invested by Pearson in the creation of a new oil company founded and operated by De Golyer in 1919 called Amerada (some years later merged into Amerada Hess), a big percentage of which was owned by the British government. DeGolyer maintained offices in Houston as well as Dallas and was well-known in the Houston and Dallas petroleum clubs frequented by George Bush and the Liedtkes.

One of DeGolyer's daughters married George C. McGhee, a U.S. State Department official, who was present in May 1954 at the first Bilderberg meeting with George Ball, David Rockefeller, Prince Bernhard of Holland and Dr. Joseph Retinger. [source: . William Engdahl, A Century of War, p. 149.] McGhee later served as a trustee of the Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies, set up to shape the "limits to growth" agenda. [source: Engdahl, p. 160.] By that time McGhee had left the State Department to become a director of Mobil Oil, the company which absorbed Magnolia Oil Company, a Rockefeller company which was founded by Galveston banking interests involved in constructing a railroad from the Galveston-Houston area to St. Louis, which came to be part of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad financed by G. H. Walker & Co.

WEB SOURCES:

http://members.tripod.com/~american_almanac/chaispot.htm

http://www.webcom.com/~pinknoiz/covert/ciaguatemala.html

http://members.tripod.com/~Mictlantecuhtli...uatemala1i.html

http://www.servtech.com/~grugyn/lowle1.htm

This file concerns the lineage of the Lowell family as it relates to the formation of the Essex Junto, Federalist Party, and the Russell Trust (which is home of Skull & Bones). The primary source is The Lowells and their Seven Worlds by Ferris Greensley, Houghton Mifflin, the Riverside Press, Boston, 1946.

The Cabots have also supported Massachusetts Institute of Technology for many years, and have severed on the MIT Corporation. In 1960 the Thomas Dudley Cabot Scholarship Fund was established as part of the permanent endowment.

[source: http://www-tech.mit.edu/V115/N29/cabot.29n.html.

Cabot genealogy http://www.pa.uky.edu/~shapere/dkbingham/d0003/g0000074.html

From the CTRL archives at

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?S1=ctrl--Treason in America --

From Aaron Burr to Averell Harriman by Anton Chaitkin © 1984; New Benjamin

Franklin House P. O. Box 20551 New York, New York 10023:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe...=&a=&b=

http://www.parascope.com/articles/1196/nazis.htm

Click. THE MONEY LORDS OF HARVARD: HOW THE MONEY WORKS AT THE WORLD'S RICHEST UNIVERSITY.

by Catherine Austin Fitts © 2000

WHY THE HARVARD CORPORATION PROTECTS THE DRUG TRADE. by LINDA MINOR © 2000. Click. Part 1. Click Part 2.Click Part 3.

Click. THE "PUG WINOKUR DATA DUMP." by the Octopodes.

Click. BUSHWACKED: HUD Fraud, Spooks and the Slumlords of Harvard by Uri Dowbenko

© 2000.

The following is a condensed version of a page found at this link.: http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=135734.0

http://www.uiw.edu/sanantonio/jenningsargyle.html

The Journal of the Life and Culture of San Antonio

The Argyle’s Fascinating History

by Frank W. Jennings

...The Argyle became a rooming house for a short time before closing, and then the old mansion seemed to pale and slump into its surrounding overgrown lawns and gardens. In 1943 Miss Lucy White acquired the mansion and kept it until 1955, when it was purchased by the Southwest Foundation for Research and Education, now the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Harold Vagtborg writes in The Story of Southwest Research Center that “it was decided that it should be used as a private social club, with dues used to help support the Foundation. A membership association was formed, and 600 carefully selected individuals were invited to join the Argyle.” Today, it maintains the kind of haven for fine dining and warm hospitality that Miss Alice loved and that a famed British travel writer remembered as an exotic place transported from another enchanting world....

http://txbiomed.org/About/founder_2.aspx

Change Text Size Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size

Institute's Origin

...While in the South Pacific, he came across an old 1937 Reader's Digest article on the Armour Research Foundation of Chicago, then headed by Dr. Vagtborg, who would later become Southwest Foundation's first president. In the article, Dr. Vagtborg was quoted as saying: “We can improve anything.” When asked about the story, Dr. Vagtborg claimed he was misquoted, because what he actually said was, “Anything can be improved.” Nevertheless, Mr. Slick later said it was then and there that he decided he was going to recruit Dr. Vagtborg to assist him in developing his research institutions.

The conventional wisdom was that Mr. Slick's dream was wishful thinking on a grand scale because San Antonio did not have a university with graduate education, an extensive library system, or a major industrial complex to support an institute of applied research. “It was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” one skeptic duly noted. However, Mr. Slick did not believe it.

Undeterred in his quest to see his vision succeed, Tom Slick surrounded himself with strong business advisers and friends who became the board of Southwest Foundation. A significant step forward came in the late 1950s, when the Foundation moved to its current location at Military Drive and constructed a modern laboratory building.

As Tom Slick's vision, energy and drive powered the Foundation's early years, his family joined in his quest with great enthusiasm. His mother, Berenice Slick Urschel, was often the first donor when major projects were conceived. Meanwhile, his younger brother, Earl Slick, who along with Tom founded Slick Airways, served as a trustee from the institution's conception. ..

http://www.joeld.net/snowcruiser/snowhist.html

The Antarctic Snow Cruiser

"... In the spring of 1939 the Research Foundation learned that the government was considering appropriations for a possible Antarctic expedition. Mr. Vagtborg and Dr. Poulter presented the completed plans for the Snow Cruiser to the expedition officials in Washington on April 29, 1939. The officials were enthusiastic over the idea and it was agreed the Foundation would supervise the construction and finance the cost, estimated at $150,000. The Snow Cruiser would then be loaned to the U.S. Antarctic Service, who would defray the costs of operation and maintenance, and then return the Cruiser to the Foundation upon return of the expedition."

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/SS/sqs2.html

SOUTHWEST RESEARCH INSTITUTE. Southwest Research Institute, an independent, nonprofit, applied engineering and physical sciences research and development organization, is the United States's third largest applied science center, after Batelle and Stanford. The institute is eight miles west of downtown in the city limits of San Antonio. It was founded in 1947 as a public trust for charitable and educational purposes by Thomas Baker Slick, Jr.,qv a San Antonio oilman, rancher, and philanthropist. The institute began operations on what was then a part of the Essar Ranch, a Slick family holding. The ranch headquarters, a three-story Victorian home, served as the institute's first offices and laboratories. In 1993 the institute grounds consisted of 765 acres, with more than 1.5 million square feet of floor space for laboratories, workplaces, and offices. The staff in 1988 numbered 2,600, composed of about 1,100 scientists and engineers, 1,000 technicians, and 500 administrative support personnel. The institute has program development offices in the Washington, D.C., and Detroit, Michigan, areas and in Houston. It has grown from one building in 1947 to more than 100 permanent structures. In fiscal year 1992 its gross research and development revenues were around $232 million, and its total assets slightly exceeded $187 million...

...The institute has conducted research and development for most of the large industrial corporations in the United States and for many of the world's large firms. The United States Department of Defense is its largest government client....

http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=549

..."Throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s the foundation continued to play a vital role in promoting pioneer research. Studies of heart disease covered a wide range of genetic research, population studies, and primate testing, and the foundation supplied the first baboon heart for transplant into a human in 1984. Scientists also conducted tests for the study of cancer, viral diseases, and disorders in newborn babies. The foundation increasingly focused on AIDS research and the development of possible vaccines through testing with chimpanzees."

In 1999, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research completed construction of the nation's first new biosafety level 4 laboratory in 20 years. "When the lab 'went hot' in March 2000, it became the only operational BSL-4 lab owned by a private institution...The Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research is the only institution in the country to house both a BSL-4 lab and a national primate research center. This combination of expertise and unique resources has given SFBR a key role in a new Research Center of Excellence for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases," headed by The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. (14)...

After I skimmed the information excerpted in this last quote box of this post, is it any wonder the name Col. Jose A. Rivera, popped into my head? Rivera was stationed at the US Army Medical Center in San Antonio from 1954 to 1958.

Edited by Tom Scully

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.tulsaworl..._A13_Hisea38536

His ears cracked kidnap case

By GENE CURTIS World Staff Writer

1/9/2007

The victim's attention to detail and good memory were the keys to solving the 1933 kidnapping of a wealthy Oklahoma City oilman.

Charles F. Urschel and his wife, Bernice, were playing bridge with Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Jarrett on July 22 on the sun porch of their home when two men pushed open the screen door and came inside. One carried a revolver; the other a machine gun....

...No one identified the oilman, so one of the gunmen said, "We'll take you both." They forced Urschel and Jarrett into a car and sped away after warning the women not to make an outcry.

The kidnappers, later identified as George "Machine Gun" Kelly and Albert Bates, threw Jarrett out of the car a few miles away after they determined which man was Urschel by examining the wallets they found in the victims' pockets. They tied Urschel hand and foot, bandaged his eyes tightly and placed cotton in his ears so he couldn't hear.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Urschel telephoned police, who called FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover in Washington.

The abductors took Urschel to a farm near Paradise, Texas, where he was kept blindfolded through

his nine days of captivity except for once when he was told to write a note asking that a ransom be paid and another time when he was allowed to shave. ...

...The FBI found the farm by checking airline schedules and flying on the two flights, using binoculars to find a farm with two houses Urschel had described at the times he had remembered.

Finding guinea hens at one of the houses and pigs at the other, the FBI raided the farm, which was owned by the R.G. Shannon family. Mrs. Shannon's daughter was Kelly's wife. Agents found Urschel's fingerprints, which he had left on as many surfaces as possible to prove that he had been there.

Harvey Bailey, the leader of a notorious break of 11 convicts from a Kansas prison, was found asleep on a cot in the back yard with a machine gun by his side. His pockets contained some of the ransom money. The remaining members of the kidnap gang, including Kelly, were rounded up within a few weeks.

The Kellys, the Shannons, Bates and Bailey were sentenced to life in prison. Other members of the gang got shorter terms.

The kidnappers probably singled out Urschel because of his estimated $75 million wealth. He had been a protege of Tom B. Slick, who became wealthy as the "king of the wildcatters," and had married Slick's widow about a year before the kidnapping, giving him control of both his own fortune and Slick's.

Slick had died in 1930, and Urschel's first wife, Slick's sister, had died a year later.

http://digital.libra...es/u/ur009.html

URSCHEL KIDNAPPING

http://www.time.com/...,855357,00.html

Business: The Slick Brothers

Monday, Jan. 28, 1946

At San Antonio's tortilla-flat Alamo Field last week, 50 men in coveralls scurried over, under, into, out of and around nine fat-bodied Curtiss Commando planes. They installed refrigeration equipment in some, heaters in others. On the silver sides of all nine, they painted the royal blue insignia of a brand-new air-freight enterprise: Slick Airways, Inc.

Less than two months, ago, Slick Airways was still just a daydream much like the daydreams of 100,000 other soldier flyers. Unlike most others, this one was backed by 1) plenty of cash and 2) rough-&-ready business savvy. Both were supplied largely by two brothers, dark-haired, studious Thomas Baker Slick Jr., 29, and sandy-haired, easygoing Earl Frates Slick, 25-Money & Ideas. The Slick brothers are sons of famed Tom Slick, "king of the wildcatters," and stepsons of Oilman Charles Urschel* (after Tom Slick died, his partner Urschel married his widow). The brothers were not content to live on $10,000 a year apiece left them by their father, nor wait till they inherited the bulk of the $25,000,000 Slick fortune.

Hardly had they finished their schooling at Exeter and Yale when they started wildcatting for themselves. In partnership with Stepbrother Charles Urschel Jr., they operated Slick Oil Co., struck it lucky in south Texas and in Mississippi. Tom Slick Jr. branched out. He got dozens of patents on gadgets he invented, everything from fishhooks to oilfield equipment; he ran an experimental Hereford breeding farm, launched a frozen-food locker. When war came, he went to work for the Federal Government on oil jobs, went into the Navy and is now on his way home from Japan to aid the latest family venture.

The idea of the airline was Earl Slick's. He had mixed flying lessons with his wildcatting, had been a wartime pilot in the Air Transport Command. Not long after he became a civilian last December, he heard that nine surplus Army Curtiss Commandos were up for sale. In Washington, he walked into RFC's surplus-plane division one day at i p.m., came out at 1:15 owning the planes. The price : $247,000.

"After that," said young Slick, "things really began to move fast."

Seafood & Vegetables. He hired 35 ex-Army flyers as pilots, promising them also a share of profits; showed oil companies how rigs could be broken down and air-freighted in six-ton (C46 capacity) lots. The oil companies are ready to sign contracts when Slick gives the word. He lined up cargoes of vegetables, seafood, etc. to be flown north, merchandise to be flown back to Texas stores. ...

http://books.google....%20yale&f=false

The ATL-98 Carvair: a comprehensive history of the aircraft and ... - Google Books Result

William Patrick Dean, Michael O'Callaghan - 2008 - Transportation - 407 pages

Slick was formed in January 1946 by Earl Frates Slick and Colonel Sam Dunlap III. Slick ... Slick attended Yale and joined the Army Air Corp in 1941. ..

http://www.time.com/...,805788,00.html

AVIATION: Slicked Up

Monday, Mar. 05, 1951

At Douglas Aircraft's plant in Santa Monica, workers this week put the finishing touches on the first DC-6A built for all-cargo operations. On the silver sides the pressurized, 325-m.p.h. plane was painted the owner's name: "Slick Airways Inc." Said 30-year-old Chairman Earl F. Slick: "For five years we didn't even know if we could stay alive. Now we can't grow fast enough."

Hard-driving Texan Slick was not merely talking Texas-style. Last week, he reported that in 1950 his all-freight airline finally got over the hump, had a $506,608 profit after taxes. It was the first year Slick had been out of the red since he and his fellow pilots from the Air Transport Command started the shoestring line in 1946 (TIME, Jan. 28, 1946). Moreover, they had hauled almost twice as much freight as the year before—45,318,000 ton-miles, 26% of all U.S. air cargo and far more than Slick's closest rival, huge American Airlines (36,606,771 ton-miles).

Out of the profits, Earl Slick is putting up $500,000 of the $1,000,000 cost of his first DC-6A; Manhattan's Bankers Trust Co. lent the balance. With 1951's business still gaining (February profit: $150,000 before taxes), Slick has made similar deals for two more DC-6As to be delivered later this year, for a total $3,500,000 expansion. The three new planes (payload: 30,000 Ibs. each) will boost his cargo capacity almost 50%.

Ground Loops. Slick and his hard-flying airmen had turned the corner none too soon. Though they had proved they could drum up a lot of freight business—from 11 million ton-miles in 1946 to 26.4 million in 1949—they had trouble proving they could make it pay. Several times they had edged into the black only to groundloop into operating losses that totaled $2,440,000. If Earl Slick had not been able to tap his family's Texas oil millions, the airline probably would have cracked up.

Slick lost heavily in a two-year rate war with American and other big scheduled airlines that ended in 1948 when CAB set up minimum rates based on Slick's costs. Slick got a bigger break in 1949 when CAB gave him a 52-city, transcontinental route tapping the major traffic centers. Thus, for the first time, he could fly regular, advertised schedules.

Calm Air. Slick drummed up new trade (textiles, television and auto parts) and opened up new markets, flying Christmas mistletoe from Dallas to Manhattan, Texas okra to Detroit's big colony of Southern workers. Last year, after complaining to CAB that airmail-subsidized American and the big boys were still harassing his unsubsidized line, Slick slapped a $30 million suit on them, charging antitrust violations. After that, he says, they let him alone.

By last spring Slick had enough business to get his loads above the break-even point (70%). Then the Korean war brought a rush of defense business, and the line's tonnage soared from 2,900,000 ton-miles in June to almost 6,000,000 in December...

http://www.google.co...ved=0CBQQpwUoCg

Changes in Holdings

Pay-Per-View - Wall Street Journal - Aug 6, 1964

Earl F. Slick. Lewis J. Moorman. Jr.. and Charles F Urschel. Jr-. independent executors of the estate of Tom aiick. Ixneficial owner of mom than 70^~ of the ...

PEOPLE AND EVENTS

Pay-Per-View - Chicago Tribune - Aug 16, 1960

The election of John E. Gallagher as a vice president and director of Slick Airways, Inc., was announced by Earl F. Slick, chairman. ...

Slick Airways Reorganized

$3.95 - New York Times - Sep 12, 1950

Thomas L. Grace, vice president of operations, was elected president, replacing Earl F. Slick; founder of the airline, who continues as chairman of the ...

http://www.google.co...f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

King of the wildcatters: the life and times of Tom Slick, 1883-1930

Ray Miles - 1996 - 166 pages - Snippet view

Bee, Goliad, Duvall, Starr, Zapata, and Young Counties. Most of the production that resulted from Slick and SRC drilling in late 1929 and 1930 ... On April 15, 1929, he chartered the Tom Slick Oil Company with himself as the president. ...

World oil: Volume 134

1952 - Snippet view

Tom Slick, Oil Man, Is Elected Director of Dresser Industries Tom Slick, oil capitalist and philanthropist, has been elected a director of Dresser Industries, Inc. Slick, a partner in the Slick-Moorman Oil Company, Slick- Urschel Oil ...

Tom Slick: True Life Encounters in Cryptozoology

Loren Coleman - 2002 - 177 pages - Snippet view

In Tom Slick, Jr.'s, short life he was a partner in Slick-Moorman Land and Cattle Company; Chairman of the Board of Slick Oil Company and of Transworld Resources Corporation; Director at Dresser Industries ...

http://www.google.co...ved=0CA8QpwUoBQ

THOMAS SLICK, 46, DIES IN AIR CRASH; Oilman and Philanthropi...

- New York Times - Oct 8, 1962

... a Beechcraft Bonanza 35, apparently disintegrated fin flight. ... Thomas Baker Slick, whose late father, Tom Slick, was known as the "king of the ...

http://www.google.co...=og&sa=N&tab=wp

The story of Southwest Research Center: a private, nonprofit, ...

Harold Vagtborg - 1973 - 610 pages - Snippet view

ROARI D OF GOV TRMHRQ o\jf\W\ Board of Governors t-isrNv-Jisj Robert Ash Chairman, HN Mallon Sylvan Lang John J. Cox Lewis J. Moorman, Jr. Leroy G. Denman, J r. Guy E. Reed Elmer A. Dittmar Earl F. Slick James H. Drumm CF Urschel Joe ...

Gas age: Volume 109

1952 - Snippet view

HN Mallon, Dresser president, said, in announcing the election: "The acquirement of Mr. Slick's talented services through his acceptance of this directorship is a valued addition to Dresser's board.

In addition to our own executives, we have been most fortunate in securing some of the ablest men in the nation to serve the corporation." Mr. Slick's father showed his enterprise by establishing a monopoly on the Cushing oil field.

He hired away every horse and buggy in town to keep competition from reaching the field and sent all the notaries on paid vacations to stall anyone from registering a lease.

The son has carried on his father's name and fortune as a partner in the Slick-Moorman Oil Co. and Slick-Ur- schel Oil Co.

This group, which includes his brother, Earl, Charles F. Urschel, Sr. and Jr., and members of the Hewgley family, has developed properties in the Tinsley oil field near Yazoo City

on a plantation his father purchased years before. This became the first sizable oil production in Mississippi. Shortly after drilling the Tinsley field, the group drilled the discovery well on the South Caesar field in south Texas.

Mr. Slick launched the Foundation of Applied Research six years ago with the gift of a valuable oil property located in the Tins- ley field.

His purpose was to build a scientific research organization to benefit mankind through improvements in agriculture and industry.

Associated with this project the oilman started the Essar Ranch (S for Scientific and R for Research) by purchasing various tracts of land just west of San Antonio....

http://www.angelfire...ters/index.html

Foreword: In 1975 while living in San Antonio, Texas, and working at Southwest Research Institute(SwRI), the author started encountering sporadic, physical surveillance in the workplace and on business trips. In early 1976, the next year, the author was contacted by a CIA officer who was operating out of an agency office in Austin, Texas, and asked to assist them in recruiting a foreign national as a spy. (While the author was employed there over the period 1964 to 1978, SwRI performed a lot of classified work for the CIA.) On the day of the first visit of the CIA officer to the author's home, the author and his family members were placed under continuous surveillance. As of this update, the surveillance is still in progress but at a level below earlier years. In 1978, after concluding that this illegal surveillance was not going to stop, the author started sending letters of complaint to high level officials of the U.S. government. One such letter is the following, which was sent to the Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

Signed Originally: William Albert Hewgley

August 15, 2000

A. Reprinted Letter Without Attachments

CONFIDENTIAL

November 26, 1984

To:

Representative Edward P. Boland, Chairman

House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence

2426 Rayburn Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

William A. Hewgley

1512 Shady Lane

Kingston, Tennessee 37763

Dear Mr. Boland:

Thank you for your letter of November 7, 1984, which was in reply to my letters to you dated August 11, 1984 and September 18, 1984.

Inasmuch as your initial inquiries to the CIA and FBI (Author's Note: At this time, William J. Casey was the Director of the CIA and William H. Webster was the Director of the FBI) were not productive, I will provide sufficient information below which should enable you to retrieve the proper covert operational files for your use. Some of the information below is confidential but you are cleared for such information and require it in order to conduct a review of my allegations. My copies of this letter will be kept in a safe deposit box for safeguarding.

After phoning me on February 17, 1976 for an appointment, Mr. Jack Kuehn of the CIA Austin, Texas office visited me in my San Antonio home on February 23, 1976. (Author's Note: On this date, Gerald R. Ford was President, George H.W. Bush was Director of the CIA, and Clarence Kelley was the Director of the FBI.) Concurrent with his visit, surveillance of my family started; it has never ceased since that point. Mr. Kuehn exhibited his CIA credentials, gave me his business card (Attachment 1) and briefed me on the purpose of his visit. The gist of it was this: The CIA was interested in Mr. Nam Ho, a South Korean nuclear engineer who had recently come to Southwest Research Institute to stay approximately 10 months. Mr. Ho was in the United States on an IAEA fellowship, and his objective was to become trained in quality assurance as applied to nuclear reactors. He was assigned to my group to receive this training. Mr. Kuehn debriefed me on what I knew about Mr. Ho and recorded the session with his tape recorder. Attachment 2 is a copy of the notes I took immediately following our session.

In subsequent discussions via phone, I was told by Mr. Kuehn that the CIA wished me to introduce Mr. Ho to them, so that they could initiate an agent recruitment process. I learned that the CIA hoped that Mr. Ho would eventually be in position to provide information to them on the nuclear weapons capability of South Korea.

On April 15, 1976, Mr. Kuehn again visited my home and brought with him Mr. Anthony M. Landels, a CIA agent with a cover of Associate with a CIA cover firm named Norbeck. Attachment 3 is a copy of the business card Mr. Landels provided me. (Later, Mr. Kuehn informed me that the Landels name may or may not be the agent's real name.) Also, later I was told by Mr. Kuehn that the FBI had been notified about the CIA's interest in Mr. Ho.

Subsequently, a meeting was arranged, with Mr. Ho, Mr. Landels, and me in attendance. Mr. Landels proceeded with the recruitment process from that point and I had no further contacts with him thereafter. Later, however, while reading Mr. Ho's final report, dated December 27, 1976, I realized that not only had the recruitment process proceeded but that Mr. Ho had blown the cover of the various participants involved in the recruitment process (see Attachment 4).

A couple of events occurred during the 10 months stay of Mr. Ho which suggested that he was either an agent of South Korea (KCIA) or a double agent involving South Korea and North Korea. It is not appropriate for me to go into the details of this in this letter, but it is significant that my family was subjected to the heaviest level of surveillance during the period of Mr. Ho's stay in San Antonio.

The surveillance was overwhelming to us, and we had great difficulty in coping with it. Beginning on February 23, 1976, it took on the appearance of a protective umbrella. Later, it was to become vicious, taking on the appearance of punitive, political surveillance.

After the initial visit of Mr. Kuehn, our neighborhood in San Antonio overnight became a CIA/ FBI covert operations center. Neighbors, as well as others, became involved in watching us. Surveillance networks were established at Southwest Research Institute where I worked; at the John Marshall High School where William Allen, my son, attended; at Pat Neff Middle School where Robert Andrew, my other son, attended; at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church where our family attended church; and so on. We were being protected, so we thought, and the CIA and FBI helpers engaged in the operations were, in their mind, doing their country a service by conducting surveillance on us.

On February 12, 1978, one of my sons and I went into the attic of our San Antonio home to search for eavesdropping devices. We had been aware from the first days of the surveillance that every word we uttered in our home was being received by the CIA and FBI. This had been so distressing to us that we decided that we must find and disable the devices.

That day we discovered an eavesdropping system in the attic and were able to pinpoint the specific wire used as an antenna. Microphone pickups had been installed in the living room ceiling, in a hallway partition, in a partition between the master bedroom and William Allen's bedroom, and in the partition of my wife's and my bathroom. I cut the cables to disable them, prepared diagrams of the installation, and took photographs. From that date on, we were subjected to a higher level of intimidation and we realized for the first time how very vulnerable our family was. We could be killed and no relative or friend would know that we had ever been involved in this terrible surveillance nightmare. This realization, as well as health problems caused by the surveillance, prompted me on March 4, 1978 to send my first letter to the executive branch of the Federal government (see letter from me to Admiral Stansfield Turner, dated March 4, 1978).(Author's Note: On this date, Stansfield Turner was the Director of the CIA.)

Who were the participants in the surveillance described above? We have evidence that the prime participants were the CIA and FBI. We are aware that part of the time military covert agents were also participating, probably as part of a multi-agency anti-terrorist training program. We can identify scores of participants-- give their names, addresses, describe their roles in the surveillance, dates, etc. Also, I have recordings of license plates of vehicles employed in the surveillance. Finally, I have photographic coverage of certain facets of the surveillance.

The above describes only a fraction of the surveillance which took place in San Antonio during the period February 1976 to March 1978. There is much more to report for the period March 1978 to date, but that is beyond the scope of this letter. As mentioned in the introduction, I hope by providing you with this information that you will be able to successfully ferret out the CIA and FBI operational files for this covert operation.

In closing, I would like to suggest that I come to Washington to discuss this matter in more detail. I would bring representative evidence collected to date, as well as summary level evidence, so you could receive the substance of my allegations. I am available to come up anytime. Please advise as to a suitable time and place for this meeting.

Also enclosed (Attachment 5) is biographical data giving background information on each member of our family. I thought you might wish to know more about us in view of the serious charges we have made.

We greatly appreciate your efforts on this matter.

Very truly yours,

William A. Hewgley (Signed)

William A. Hewgley (Typed)

WAH/ cph

Attachments (5)

B. Letter Mailing Verification

1. Letter was mailed at the U.S.P.O. in Kingston, Tennessee on November 26, 1984 under Registered Number 269-295-647, dated November 26, 1984. A Return Receipt (PS Form 3811, Dec.1980) was submitted with the letter.

2. On November 30, 1984, the Return Receipt was received by the author. It had been properly signed and dated November 28, 1984 at the point of delivery.

C. Reply from the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence

No reply was ever received.

D. CIA Vetting

A copy of the above letter in its entirety was vetted by the Central Intelligence Agency prior to my publication of it on the world wide web.

E. Letter Under Oath

During a legal proceeding held in the late 1980s, this complete letter, including attachments, was entered into evidence under oath by the author.

This website is maintained by:

William Albert Hewgley...

Soviet Sees Espionage In US Snowman Hunt

‎ - New York Times - Apr 27, 1957

The Soviet Government today credited the Western powers with a ... Ark, . , , Izwestia presumably. was alluding--to--an expedition sled by Tom Slick of ...

Defrauding America: Volume 2 - Page 268

Rodney Stich - 2008 - 496 pages - Google eBook - Preview

....This permitted the CIA to hide their shipments under the name, Air-Sea Forwarders. Air Asia operated the largest airplane maintenance facility in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. Until 1956, the CIA proprietary worked through a company called Slick Airways (for whom I flew as pilot for a brief period while furloughed from my regular airline, Transocean Airlines)....

Just East of Eden - Page 206

Eric Wilder - 2007 - 244 pages - Preview

... for the Abominable Snowman is the most bizarre. He financed an expedition to Tibet in search of Yeti. The expedition coincided with the invasion of Tibet by the Chinese and the ouster of the Dalai Lama. Supposedly, Tom, Jr. worked with the CIA...

http://www.centennia...ight/Tran10.htm

A History of Commercial Air Freight

...In general, entrepreneurs found it difficult to enter the air freight market because of resistance from the established passenger carriers. The passenger airlines believed that new air freight airlines that offered low rates and irregular services would destabilize the whole commercial aviation sector. The established air carriers, who had formed Air Cargo, Inc., were especially afraid of smalltime operators such as Slick Airways, Flying Tiger, California Eastern, and others. Through the late 1940s, these small airlines, the established giants, and the government's Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) wrangled over how to hand out contracts and set the proper rates for freight transport. In August 1949, the CAB finally gave permission to four all-freight airlines to operate. These were Slick, Flying Tiger, U.S. Airlines, and Airnews.

Neither U.S. Airlines nor Airnews survived long. U.S. Airlines operated for a while on the New York-Miami route on Air Force contracts but a series of accidents in 1952 as well as the threat of bankruptcy folded the airline. Airnews met a similar fate in June 1951 after incurring heavy losses.

The two that did survive were Slick Airways, which was founded by Earl F. Slick in January 1946, and Flying Tiger. When it began service, Slick operated a fleet of 10 Curtiss C-46E aircraft. By the end of the 1940s, the company had become the country's most successful all air freight operator. Although Slick enjoyed moderate growth, it also faced problems. Established passenger carriers such as American Airlines had introduced all-freight flights that offered stiff competition. Since the passenger airlines could rely on established facilities and routes, their fixed costs for transporting cargo were lower. Under threat from the passenger airlines, Slick and Flying Tiger decided to merge into one airline in 1954. Unfortunately, labor problems at both airlines prompted them to abandon this idea. The failure to merge was a big blow to both airlines. Slick continued operations for a while but temporarily closed down in February 1958, unable to compete with the big passenger airlines. The company claimed that lack of government support for all-freight airlines had been the major cause of their downfall. Although Slick resumed operations in October 1962, the CAB eventually suspended Slick's activities in August 1965. The company's operations were acquired by other smaller freight carriers....

http://www.cryptomun...s/e-slick-obit/

Posted by: Loren Coleman on June 3rd, 2007

Earl F. Slick

Earl F. Slick, 86, whose brother will forever be tied to Yeti, died on May 13, 2007, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The family delayed a public announcement until after services and his burial.

He is shown above in the 1940s, with a model of one of the air freight carriers in his then-new company.

Earl F. Slick was the brother of Tom Slick, the millionaire adventurer and Yeti hunter of the 1950s and early 1960s.

Earl served as a pilot in World War II, and was linked to the famed Flying Tigers that transported cargo across the Himalayas during the War....

Thanks Roy. I got confused by the Red 'Thunderbird' and the Red 'Ford.'

But since Bill mentions Dresser Industries. Has anyone seen the letter dated October 30, 1963 To Neil Mallon of Dresser Industries from Allen Dulles?

The text is below

October 30, 1963

MR. H.N. Mallon

Dresser Industries, Inc.

Republic National Bank Buiding

Dallas, Texas

Dear Neil:

I want to thank you for a delightful evening spent at

your house and the opportunity that I had to get to know your charming bride.

I hope that Clover and I will have an opportunity to entertain you both

here in Washington. Please let us know if you plan to be here.

Sincerely,

Allen W. Dulles

awd:mk

1 - Texas file

1 - chr

As an aside, which I am sure you know, according to the February 26, 1967 edition of the Houston Chronicle in the article

"Secret Use of Public Money: CIA and Foundations," there is a section which reads "The Republic National Bank of Dallas was trustee for another conduit."

Material cited is from 'Oswald's Closest Friend' by Bruce Campbell Adamson.

The Dulles-Mallon letter was an actual copy.

....Last but not least are the esoteric activities of Tom Slick, who passed through Indonesia back then...He seems to be, IMO a real good deep cover candidate for intelligence gathering in a hot spot, which Indonesia certainly was......But that is a very speculative comment.

Obviously, Indonesia was a rather important piece of geography, not unlike the Congo, which certainly had its own share of spook encounters........

JFK and the Buckleys, Paines and Forbes

You know I think Linda Minor has got the JFK hit pretty much nailed and does not even know it yet.

In Part One of this series we dealt with the names of men who gained control of the Harvard Corporation in the early 1800's--whose self-appointed successors still maintain control of the funds of that institution today. We showed how those men made their family fortunes by trading in slaves and drugs (opium). We also showed how they purchased respectability by donating enough money to Harvard to allow them to continue their control of the university management, a position which makes their status as drug dealers almost impossible to be believed by the average American.

The drug syndicate was set up to smuggle the narcotic opium into China, alongside the British East India Company's smugglers. The syndicate was based in Newburyport, Massachusetts, and London, England, and was financed, as the East India Company was, by Britain's Baring bank. This racket, smuggling chiefly Turkish opium, provided the bulk of the family fortunes for the Cabots and other prominent ``blue-blood'' Boston families.

In Part Two we showed that the same Harvard men in Massachusetts who made their wealth from dealing in drugs were connected by family and business relationships to the board of the Yale Corporation, and that it was, in fact, a successor-in-name to the Perkins, Sturgis and Forbes company--Russell and Company--which started Skull and Bones at Yale. It was the Germanic philosophy of Hegel learned by William H. Russell that guided him and his successors in financing competing sides of every political and

social issue in order to control the outcome and arrive at a greater degree of power. Because of this philosophy, the Hegelian drug lords have no problem supporting candidates from both Yale and Harvard. Whoever wins, the drug lords can count on protection.

The final part of this series has two goals: First to show that the successors of the opium smuggling companies in America quickly established a system to use their dirty profits as "venture capital" for direct investment in strategic industries and, secondly, that they funneled "charitable" donations into educational institutions to control both the huge tax-exempt endowments and to create a mask of respectability and generosity to hide the true nature of their character....

...HOW GEORGE H. W. BUSH'S CAREER DEVELOPED BY HIS USE OF SOURCES OF CAPITAL.

When George H.W. Bush arrived in Texas after graduation from Yale, his career began with an interview with Neil Mallon, president of Dresser Industries in Dallas. Dresser, which owned the patent for the coupling joint used in laying petroleum pipelines, was a corporation wholly owned by the investment bank Brown Brothers, Harriman. Prescott Bush was a director of Dresser for decades, as well as being a partner in Brown Brothers Harriman--which had resulted from the merger of the bank set up by Prescott's father-in-law, George Herbert Walker, at the request of the sons of Union Pacific Railroad tycoon E.H. Harriman. Walker had previously had his own investment bank in St. Louis where he financed railroads which eventually became part of the system known as the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe. An investment bank still exists in St. Louis under the operation of the Walker side of the family, but that city is also the home of George H.W. Bush's brother, William H.T. "Bucky" Bush, who is a past Missouri GOP state finance chairman.

Neil Mallon had been hired as Dresser's first president after it was purchased by Brown Brothers Harriman. It was his first real job after he completed his education, plus at least six months in the European Alps, where it might be worth noting that Allen Dulles had been stationed from 1942 until after the end of World War II. The Mallon family had strong ties to the Tafts, which had been involved in the formation of the Russell Trust (eventually to become known as Skull and Bones). It was Mallon who gave George his first job after graduation from the same university and as a member of the same secret society--an elite group to which George Walker, Prescott Bush and both Harriman sons belonged.

When Mallon went to work for Dresser, the company was based in Cleveland, Ohio, the same city where John D. Rockefeller had started his career as a merchant before his expansion into oil production was financed by one of the three U.S. banks owned by N.M. Rothschild of London. While in Cleveland, Mallon was very active in the Council on World Affairs, which had been organized in the mid-1930s by Brooks Emeny. The Council on Foreign Relations had been set up in New York in 1921, quickly imitated by the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations in 1922. The World Affairs Councils are

a segment of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), which is apparent from

its link to the website for the CFR's magazine, Foreign Affairs:

http://www.foreignaf....org/links.html The history of the Council is briefly set out at its own website, http://www.worldaffairscouncils.org/Missio...ory/history.htm .

Dresser relocated its headquarters to Dallas in 1950, and Mallon helped to organize another Council on World Affairs in that city. The operation of that organization was his "chief outside interest." [source: Darwin Payne, Initiative in Energy, pp. 248-49.] One of the employees Mallon hired was a man named Hans Bernd Gisevius, with the assignment of working on a worldwide economic development program called the "Institute on Technical Cooperation." [source: Richard Bartholomew, "Possible Discovery of an Automobile Used in the JFK Conspiracy"--unpublished manuscript, p. 48; and Bruce Campbell Adamson, "Oswald's Closest Friend: The George

DeMohrenschildt Story"--unpublished manuscript, 1993)--Bush chapter, p. 31.

Adamson accused Mallon of using Dresser as a cover for CIA activities.]

Gisevius was a German Abwehr (German Intelligence) agent whose diplomatic cover was vice-consul at the German consulate in Zurich while Allen Dulles was there as the head of U.S. intelligence. While in Switzerland Dulles began a long-lasting love affair with a woman named Mary Bancroft, who is our Harvard link. Her stepmother's stepfather was Clarence W. Barron, then publisher of the Wall St. Journal, which he purchased in 1902. In 1907, the step-daughter of Clarence Barron, Jane Barron, married Hugh Bancroft. The Bancroft represented the high Boston Tory faction; they were among the first settler families that, in 1632, founded Lynn, Massachusetts. During the next 50 years, the family was the sole exporter for the Massachusetts Bay Colony, of sugar and tobacco, a trade that made it immensely wealthy.

By the first decade of the twentieth century, Hugh Bancroft's father, John, was chairman of the Brahmin-owned Boston Elevated Railway, and was a member of the board of overseers of Harvard University. Hugh Bancroft attended Harvard, where he was admitted to the elite Hasty Pudding Club. In 1912, Bancroft was made treasurer of Dow Jones, the holding company of the Journal. He became president in 1928, upon Clarence Barron's death. By that time, Bancroft and his family controlled the majority of Dow Jones & Company's shares.

The Wall Street Journal represents a merger of Boston and New York interests. Boston's ``State Street'' financial center is run by the treasonous families that made their money in the British-run China opium trade: the Cabots, Perkins, Coolidges, Russells, Cushings, Lowells, et al. Wall Street was created and is run by the Tory faction, which followed the policy of Bank of Manhattan founders, and American traitors, Aaron Burr and John Jacob Astor. At the heart of the Journal is the aristocratic Bancroft family of Boston. The Bancroft family continues to be the most significant

shareholder of Dow Jones and the Wall Street Journal today, through Hugh Bancroft's descendants, including Jane Bancroft Cook, a Journal board member; the Cox family (Christopher Cox sits on the Journal's board); and socialite Elizabeth Goth. See

http://members.tripo...nac/wallst2.htm

http://www.forbes.co...chlist/8113.htm

In 1943 Dulles asked Mary Bancroft, who was working as a spy in Zurich, and who was also having sex with Dulles, to translate a book written by Gisevius about the Third Reich. Gisevius and some of his fascists Abwehr associates had been the planners of the July 20th plot to kill Hitler with the idea of forming an alliance with Britain and the U.S. against Russia. [source: Mary Bancroft, Autobiography of a Spy (New York: William Morrow, 1983), pp. 187-88.]

According to Bancroft: "I told Allen it all made sense to me. Difficult as it might be to believe, the conspirators actually hoped that if they got rid of Hitler they would be able to take over the whole country and to negotiate peace with the Anglo-Americans. Their hopes went even further: They envisaged the western Allies joining them in a crusade against Russia -- and communism. Gisevius had been sent to Switzerland to get in touch with the western Allies. Other emissaries were making similar contacts in Sweden and elsewhere." [source: Bancroft, Autobiography..., pp. 161, 168-170.] Mary Bancroft's report back to Dulles reminds us of what eventually did occur in Operation Paperclip, when Dulles helped certain Nazis avoid prosecution for war crimes, transfer Nazi assets into U.S. corporations, and set up the military-industrial infrastructure within the United States.

Mary Bancroft's first husband, Sherwin Badger, was a Harvard graduate whose first job had been in the head office of United Fruit in Cuba. After a year in Cuba he became a journalist in Boston, later moving to the Wall Street Journal and Barron's in New York, both of which were published by Mary's stepfather, Clarence Walker Barron. Mary also had a long friendship with George Lymon Paine and Ruth Forbes Paine, whose son Michael Paine and his wife Ruth befriended Marina Oswald the year prior to John Kennedy's assassination. The Paines were from Boston and both had family trees tying them to the United Fruit Co.--through Michael's mother (a niece of W. Cameron Forbes) and his father (a descendant of Thomas Dudley Cabot, a former president of United Fruit).

Michael Paine's uncle, Eric Schroeder, was a friend and investment associate of geologist Everette DeGolyer, a long-time Dresser Industries director, who served on

the board with Prescott Bush. Schroeder was a cousin of Alexander "Sandy" Forbes, former director of United Fruit who "belonged to the elite Tryall Golf Club retreat in Jamaica with ... Paul Raigorodsky," who has been linked to the Kennedy assassination by the Torbitt Document.

[source: Richard Bartholomew, "Possible Discovery," p. 38. See also Mary Bancroft, "Autobiography of a Spy" (New York: William Morrow, 1983). DeGolyer was an advisor to the University of Texas Board of Regents and its chairman, Harry Huntt Ransom, and was also a business partner of Lewis MacNaughton in the Dallas oil exploration firm DeGolyer and MacNaughton. MacNaughton had many CIA contacts and his personal accountant, George Bouhe, was one of Oswald's chief Russian guardians in Dallas in 1962. See Lon Tinkle, Mr. De: A Biography of Everette Lee DeGolyer, (Boston, MA: Little, Brown, 1970), pp. 224, 239 and Peter Dale Scott, The Dallas Conspiracy, ch. III, p. 6. Bartholomew cites as a source: Peter Dale Scott, "Government Documents and the Kennedy Assassination," (unpublished manuscript), ch. II, p. 4, and states: "Note: The St. Nicholas Parish was a CIA-subsidized Russian Orthodox church outside Russia, restricted to aristocratic anti-Bolshevik Russians who had been 'checked, rechecked, and double checked' by the CIA-subsidized Tolstoy Foundation. (9 H 5, 7, cited in Scott, Government Documents..., ch. II, p. 1.)"]

Everett DeGolyer became a famous geologist from Oklahoma, who spent his entire career working for the Pearson oil companies controlled by the same titled family that

owned both the media conglomerate and Lazard Brothers investment bank. He was a long-time Dresser director in Dallas where he was a geophysical consultant for all the oil companies. His had begun when as a young man he was employed by the Mexican Eagle Oil Co., owned by Sir Weetman Pearson, who called him to London in 1918 and asked him to sell Mexican Eagle to Royal Dutch Shell. The proceeds from the sale were invested by Pearson in the creation of a new oil company founded and operated by De Golyer in 1919 called Amerada (some years later merged into Amerada Hess), a big percentage of which was owned by the British government. DeGolyer maintained offices in Houston as well as Dallas and was well-known in the Houston and Dallas petroleum clubs frequented by George Bush and the Liedtkes.

One of DeGolyer's daughters married George C. McGhee, a U.S. State Department official, who was present in May 1954 at the first Bilderberg meeting with George Ball, David Rockefeller, Prince Bernhard of Holland and Dr. Joseph Retinger. [source: . William Engdahl, A Century of War, p. 149.] McGhee later served as a trustee of the Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies, set up to shape the "limits to growth" agenda. [source: Engdahl, p. 160.] By that time McGhee had left the State Department to become a director of Mobil Oil, the company which absorbed Magnolia Oil Company, a Rockefeller company which was founded by Galveston banking interests involved in constructing a railroad from the Galveston-Houston area to St. Louis, which came to be part of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad financed by G. H. Walker & Co.

WEB SOURCES:

http://members.tripo...ac/chaispot.htm

http://www.webcom.co...aguatemala.html

http://members.tripod.com/~Mictlantecuhtli...uatemala1i.html

http://www.servtech....ugyn/lowle1.htm

This file concerns the lineage of the Lowell family as it relates to the formation of the Essex Junto, Federalist Party, and the Russell Trust (which is home of Skull & Bones). The primary source is The Lowells and their Seven Worlds by Ferris Greensley, Houghton Mifflin, the Riverside Press, Boston, 1946.

The Cabots have also supported Massachusetts Institute of Technology for many years, and have severed on the MIT Corporation. In 1960 the Thomas Dudley Cabot Scholarship Fund was established as part of the permanent endowment.

[source: http://www-tech.mit..../cabot.29n.html.

Cabot genealogy http://www.pa.uky.ed...3/g0000074.html

From the CTRL archives at

http://peach.ease.ls...1=ctrl--Treason in America --

From Aaron Burr to Averell Harriman by Anton Chaitkin © 1984; New Benjamin

Franklin House P. O. Box 20551 New York, New York 10023:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe...=&a=&b=

http://www.parascope.../1196/nazis.htm

Click. THE MONEY LORDS OF HARVARD: HOW THE MONEY WORKS AT THE WORLD'S RICHEST UNIVERSITY.

by Catherine Austin Fitts © 2000

WHY THE HARVARD CORPORATION PROTECTS THE DRUG TRADE. by LINDA MINOR © 2000. Click. Part 1. Click Part 2.Click Part 3.

Click. THE "PUG WINOKUR DATA DUMP." by the Octopodes.

Click. BUSHWACKED: HUD Fraud, Spooks and the Slumlords of Harvard by Uri Dowbenko

© 2000.

The following is a condensed version of a page found at this link.: http://forum.prisonp...?topic=135734.0

http://www.uiw.edu/s...ingsargyle.html

The Journal of the Life and Culture of San Antonio

The Argyle’s Fascinating History

by Frank W. Jennings

...The Argyle became a rooming house for a short time before closing, and then the old mansion seemed to pale and slump into its surrounding overgrown lawns and gardens. In 1943 Miss Lucy White acquired the mansion and kept it until 1955, when it was purchased by the Southwest Foundation for Research and Education, now the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Harold Vagtborg writes in The Story of Southwest Research Center that “it was decided that it should be used as a private social club, with dues used to help support the Foundation. A membership association was formed, and 600 carefully selected individuals were invited to join the Argyle.” Today, it maintains the kind of haven for fine dining and warm hospitality that Miss Alice loved and that a famed British travel writer remembered as an exotic place transported from another enchanting world....

http://txbiomed.org/.../founder_2.aspx

Change Text Size Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size

Institute's Origin

...While in the South Pacific, he came across an old 1937 Reader's Digest article on the Armour Research Foundation of Chicago, then headed by Dr. Vagtborg, who would later become Southwest Foundation's first president. In the article, Dr. Vagtborg was quoted as saying: “We can improve anything.” When asked about the story, Dr. Vagtborg claimed he was misquoted, because what he actually said was, “Anything can be improved.” Nevertheless, Mr. Slick later said it was then and there that he decided he was going to recruit Dr. Vagtborg to assist him in developing his research institutions.

The conventional wisdom was that Mr. Slick's dream was wishful thinking on a grand scale because San Antonio did not have a university with graduate education, an extensive library system, or a major industrial complex to support an institute of applied research. “It was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” one skeptic duly noted. However, Mr. Slick did not believe it.

Undeterred in his quest to see his vision succeed, Tom Slick surrounded himself with strong business advisers and friends who became the board of Southwest Foundation. A significant step forward came in the late 1950s, when the Foundation moved to its current location at Military Drive and constructed a modern laboratory building.

As Tom Slick's vision, energy and drive powered the Foundation's early years, his family joined in his quest with great enthusiasm. His mother, Berenice Slick Urschel, was often the first donor when major projects were conceived. Meanwhile, his younger brother, Earl Slick, who along with Tom founded Slick Airways, served as a trustee from the institution's conception. ..

http://www.joeld.net...r/snowhist.html

The Antarctic Snow Cruiser

"... In the spring of 1939 the Research Foundation learned that the government was considering appropriations for a possible Antarctic expedition. Mr. Vagtborg and Dr. Poulter presented the completed plans for the Snow Cruiser to the expedition officials in Washington on April 29, 1939. The officials were enthusiastic over the idea and it was agreed the Foundation would supervise the construction and finance the cost, estimated at $150,000. The Snow Cruiser would then be loaned to the U.S. Antarctic Service, who would defray the costs of operation and maintenance, and then return the Cruiser to the Foundation upon return of the expedition."

http://www.tshaonlin...es/SS/sqs2.html

SOUTHWEST RESEARCH INSTITUTE. Southwest Research Institute, an independent, nonprofit, applied engineering and physical sciences research and development organization, is the United States's third largest applied science center, after Batelle and Stanford. The institute is eight miles west of downtown in the city limits of San Antonio. It was founded in 1947 as a public trust for charitable and educational purposes by Thomas Baker Slick, Jr.,qv a San Antonio oilman, rancher, and philanthropist. The institute began operations on what was then a part of the Essar Ranch, a Slick family holding. The ranch headquarters, a three-story Victorian home, served as the institute's first offices and laboratories. In 1993 the institute grounds consisted of 765 acres, with more than 1.5 million square feet of floor space for laboratories, workplaces, and offices. The staff in 1988 numbered 2,600, composed of about 1,100 scientists and engineers, 1,000 technicians, and 500 administrative support personnel. The institute has program development offices in the Washington, D.C., and Detroit, Michigan, areas and in Houston. It has grown from one building in 1947 to more than 100 permanent structures. In fiscal year 1992 its gross research and development revenues were around $232 million, and its total assets slightly exceeded $187 million...

...The institute has conducted research and development for most of the large industrial corporations in the United States and for many of the world's large firms. The United States Department of Defense is its largest government client....

http://www.semp.us/p....php?BiotID=549

..."Throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s the foundation continued to play a vital role in promoting pioneer research. Studies of heart disease covered a wide range of genetic research, population studies, and primate testing, and the foundation supplied the first baboon heart for transplant into a human in 1984. Scientists also conducted tests for the study of cancer, viral diseases, and disorders in newborn babies. The foundation increasingly focused on AIDS research and the development of possible vaccines through testing with chimpanzees."

In 1999, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research completed construction of the nation's first new biosafety level 4 laboratory in 20 years. "When the lab 'went hot' in March 2000, it became the only operational BSL-4 lab owned by a private institution...The Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research is the only institution in the country to house both a BSL-4 lab and a national primate research center. This combination of expertise and unique resources has given SFBR a key role in a new Research Center of Excellence for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases," headed by The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. (14)...

After I skimmed the information excerpted in this last quote box of this post, is it any wonder the name Col. Jose A. Rivera, popped into my head? Rivera was stationed at the US Army Medical Center in San Antonio from 1954 to 1958.

More than of passing interest, I would hope

SLICK, THOMAS BAKER (1883-1930)

A legendary Oklahoma oilman, Tom Slick became one of the largest independent oil producers in the nation. His business ventures also included railroad building, town site development, and plantation ownership. Known for honesty in his business dealings, devoted to family and friends, and intensely private, he was born Thomas Baker Slick on October 12, 1883, in Shippenville, Pennsylvania, to Johnson M. and Mary A. Baker Slick. Tom Slick's home environment and upbringing in Clarion, Pennsylvania, lead him naturally to the oil-field life.

Following his father and brother westward into the oil business, he began his career in Tryon, Oklahoma, in 1904. Working as a leaser, he received a 25 percent share of all the leases he acquired. His first drilling venture proved unsuccessful, but with the intense determination that was his hallmark he vowed to become a millionaire in the oil fields of Oklahoma, a goal he achieved many times over.

After he had drilled a series of dry holes, his enormously successful Wheeler Number One well in the Cushing Field, made public in April 1912, thrust him into prominence and eventually earned him the name "King of the Wildcatters." Charles B. Shaffer, and Slick's longtime partner B. B. Jones, along with Charles J. Wrightsman, shared in this success and formed Hi-Grade Oil Company. Unfortunately, Slick and Shaffer ended their business and personal association in a disagreement over leases. In 1913 Slick sold his part of Hi-Grade to Prairie Oil and Gas Company, earning him a fourth of the million-dollar sale. But this was just a portion of all his holdings in the Cushing Field, and by 1914 his leases had made him a multimillionaire. A cycle of overworking, selling his holdings, retiring, and then coming back full force into the oil business would repeat throughout his life.

On June 21, 1915, he married Berenice Frates, oldest child of Joseph A. and Lula M. Buck Frates. The Frates were a well-known family in the railroad business. Slick's subsequent partnership with his father-in-law made them major players in the transportation industry, with Slick providing the financial backing and Frates the expertise. They also collaborated to develop oil boomtowns. Under the auspices of the Slick Townsite Company and the Oklahoma Southwestern Railway (OSWR) they created the towns of Slick and Nuyaka, located between Bristow and Okmulgee, Oklahoma.

Between 1915 and 1920 Tom Slick took time out to build a family of three children and enjoy his home life. His children were Thomas Bernard, Betty, and Earl Frates. Thomas Slick, Jr. would later become an adventurer and oilman in his own right and go in search of the yeti (abominable snowman).

In the 1920s Slick reentered the oil business with a vengeance, developing or discovering six major pools in the Mid-Continent Region within the next five years. During this period of expansion he managed his oil concerns with three important staff, Charles F. Urschel, Ernest E. Kirkpatrick and James Huffman. In 1923 Slick began ventures in central Oklahoma's Greater Seminole Field. He also accumulated further holdings in Kansas with partners Ralph Pryor and Floyd Lockhart and in 1929 acquired leases in the Oklahoma City Field. Due to his experiences of overproduction and waste in the Kansas and Oklahoma fields, Tom Slick realized the need for conservation measures for his industry, and he advocated unitization and well spacing.

Years of hard work took their toll, and Slick died on August 16, 1930, from a massive stroke following surgery. Many grieved his passing, and on August 18, 1930, oil derricks in the Oklahoma City Field stood silent for one hour in tribute. Political and legal wrangling among the family trustees and the States of Oklahoma and Pennsylvania over Slick's residency and valuation of his estate followed his death. Slick's sister, Flored Urschel, died in 1931, and Charles F. Urschel married Tom's widow, Berenice.

SEE ALSO: PETROLEUM, URSCHEL KIDNAPPING.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Estate of Thomas B. Slick, Valuation Report by Board of Appraisers as of August 16, 1930, Oklahoma Collection, Oklahoma Department of Libraries, Oklahoma City. Ray Miles, "King of the Wildcatters": The Life and Times of Tom Slick, 1883-1930 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1996). Ray Miles, "A Taxing Matter: The Dispute over the Estate of Tom Slick, 1930-1932," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 75 (Fall 1997). D. Earl Newsom, Drumright! The Glory Days of a Boom Town (Perkins, Okla.: Evans Publications, Inc., 1985).

Kitty Pittman

© Oklahoma Historical Society

• 1 year later...

There is one factoid about Loren Coleman that makes him even more interesting than most of the material that has been

produced so far. He apparently was friends or had a working relationship with a very significant individual. As a matter

of fact, this person was Loren Coleman's co-author on at least one book. He, unfortunately died in 1973. A Scotsman,

it is alleged that when Ian Fleming died in 1964, he was en route to meet with him.

He was Ivan Terence Sanderson......

If you search google books under his name, you pretty much get the idea...

Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling ... - Page 340

books.google.comJerome Clark - 1999 - 672 pages - Google eBook

Ivan T.Sanderson Though largely forgotten today, Ivan Terence Sanderson [1911-1973] was once something of a celebrity, known for several popular books (Animal Treasures, Animals Nobody Knows, Living Mammals of the World) and for frequent ...

For what its worth: more

page 81, Inside The Gemstone File by Kenn Thomas & David Hatcher

........Ian Fleming died under mysterious circumstances in Jamaica on August 12, 1964 of a "heart attack."

According to Bruce Roberts, the "sodium morphate" used by Onassis and the Mafia made the victim

appear to have died from a massive heart attack.

According to Preston B. Nichols and Peter Moon in their book Pyramids of Montauk (Sky Books, 1995)

Ian Fleming knew certain information about the Rainbow Project, a secret endeavor that was to ultimately

lead into what is known today as The Philadelphia Project. Fleming had worked with Aleister Crowley

on the Rainbow Project, his part being a secret mission to meet with Karl Haushofer of the Nazi party

in order to get him to convince Rudolf Hess to defect. Fleming met with Haushofer in Lisbon, Portugal

early in the war and persuaded the influential German occultist to talk with Hess on the behalf of Crowley.

Both Haushofer and Hess admired Aleister Crowley a great deal, according to Nichols and Moon.

In August of 1964, say Nichols and Moon, Fleming was planning to fly from Jamiaca to New Jersey

to meet with Ivan T. Sanderson, a biologist and former British Intelligence agent. As a zoologist,

Sanderson had written a number of books including one on Bigfoot and Yeti, and appeared frequently

on radio shows and even Johnny Carson's Tonight Show......

Robert

The authors of the book Nichols and Moon, according to what is written, Inside the Gemstone File

explain that the date of Fleming's death, August 12, 1964, was the 21st anniversary of the

Philadelphia Experiment.......

I personally believe that Howard Hughes suffered from acute mental issues by even 1963 and

the idea that he would meet with personally or communicate with others over something

like an insecure [telephone] line about assassinating JFK, simply doesn't work for me.

But the corporate empire he owned definitely is almost as interesting as Collins Radio.

Edited by Robert Howard

• 8 months later...

JFK: Cinema Kills

Films have a strange way to foreshadow events. Or at least, the human mind thinks this may be so. No one knows how or why, but the visual component of having a permanent record of a fictional incident collides across time and space, infrequently, with the reality of an unforgettable disaster, tragedy, or assassination.

Raymond Shaw (Laurence Harvey) in the sniper's nest.

In the case of the death of John F. Kennedy, chroniclers, researchers, and theorists have often pointed to the intriguing timing and plot of one specific motion picture, The Manchurian Candidate. The 1962 film directed by John Frankenheimer, stars Frank Sinatra (a close friend of JFK), Laurence Harvey, Janet Leigh and Angela Lansbury. The central plot of the film is that the son of a prominent, right-wing political family has been brainwashed to be an unwitting assassin for an international Communist conspiracy.

The Manchurian Candidate was nationally released on Wednesday, October 24, 1962, at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis. It thus appeared thirteen months before JFK was killed in Dallas on November 22, 1963.

There is a bit of the name game in the film. The actor Laurence Harvey played the assassin, which was "played" in the 1963 Dallas event by Lee Harvey Oswald. (Two names also used by Lee Harvey Oswald, allegedly, were O. H. Lee and Alek J. Hidell.)

In another name game in The Manchurian Candidate, director Frankenheimer acknowledged the climax's connection with Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934 and 1956) by naming the Presidential candidate "Benjamin Arthur." Arthur Benjamin was the composer of the cantata "Storm Clouds" used in both versions of Hitchcock's film.

But have other films been overlooked?

One assassination researcher, Bruce Campbell Adamson, points out two other movies that need to be examined more closely than they have been in the past. Adamson writes that one is a Howard Hughes film, His Kind of Woman, that has a "story plot, which sounds like Oswald being set up in Mexico 'as a patsy.'"

His Kind of Woman is a black-and-white 1951 film noir starring Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell. The film features supporting roles by Vincent Price, Raymond Burr, and Charles McGraw. The movie was directed officially by John Farrow and based on the unpublished story Star Sapphie by Gerald Drayson. (John Farrow, a filmmaker who was introduced to the craft by Robert Flaherty of Nanook of the North fame, went on in 1938, to marry Maureen O'Sullivan ~ who played Jane in several Tarzan films, including in Farrow's 1936 Tarzan Escapes. Farrow and O'Sullivan had seven children together, including Mia Farrow of Rosemary's Baby infamy.)

Post-production on His Kind of Woman was rife with problems and Howard Hughes was dissatisfied with John Farrow's work, and a number of scenes were cut, added, and re-shot by the uncredited Richard Fleischer. Hughes also organized a screenwriting team which extensively rewrote the film and added many pages to the first script. Despite the turmoil surrounding the film's production, the film was commercially successful and has developed a cult following, despite its lack of widespread distribution in the decades since its release.

The plot focuses on the down-on-his-luck, professional gambler Dan Milner (Robert Mitchum) who accepts a mysterious job for $50,000. He is told to take a charter flight to Morro's Lodge, an isolated Mexican resort, where he will receive further instructions. Milner is attracted to the only other passenger, Lenore Brent (Jane Russell).

When he arrives, Milner finds that several guests at the luxurious Baja California resort have hidden agendas. He is disappointed to find that Lenore is the girlfriend of famous movie actor Mark Cardigan (Vincent Price). Milner overhears two guests, self-proclaimed author Martin Krafft (John Mylong) and a man named Thompson (Charles McGraw), planning something which he suspects involves him. When Milner confronts them, he is given $10,000 and told that someone is on his way to Baja to see him.

Seemingly drunk Bill Lusk (Tim Holt) flies in, despite warnings of very dangerous storm conditions. Milner thinks he must be the contact, but when the two are alone, Lusk claims to be an undercover agent for the Immigration and Naturalization Service. He tells Milner that the U.S. government suspects that underworld boss Nick Ferraro (Raymond Burr), deported to Italy four years earlier, is scheming to get back into the country posing as Milner. The two men are a close physical match and Milner is a loner, so no one is likely to miss him. Krafft turns out to be a plastic surgeon.

Meanwhile, Cardigan's wife Helen (Marjorie Reynolds) and his personal manager Gerald Hobson (Carleton G. Young) show up. She had gone to Reno to get a divorce, not really intending to go through with it, as she is still fond of her husband. Hobson also thinks it is a poor idea because Cardigan's film contract is expiring and the bad publicity would make it hard to get a new one. With her own plans ruined, Lenore confesses to Milner that she is really just a singer looking to hook a wealthy spouse. Milner shows his softer side when he helps unhappy newlywed Jennie Stone (Leslie Banning) by cheating at poker to win back her husband's gambling losses from investment broker Myron Winton (Jim Backus).

Lusk sneaks into Thompson's room, but is caught and killed. Milner and Lenore stumble upon his body dumped on the beach. Milner is convinced that the dead man must have been telling the truth. That night, Thompson and his men take Milner to a newly arrived yacht. Milner is able to pass along a veiled plea for help to Lenore. She persuades Cardigan, who is tired of just pretending to be a hero, to help out. While the actor keeps the pursuing mobsters pinned down with his hunting rifle, Milner sneaks back onto the boat, knowing that the only way out of his mess is to deal with Ferraro once and for all. He is caught and brought to the crime lord. After killing two of the thugs and wounding and capturing Thompson, Cardigan mounts a rescue with the reluctant assistance of the Mexican police and a couple of the more adventurous guests. A gunfight breaks out aboard the boat, followed by a melee. Milner manages to break free and shoot Ferraro dead.

The film has weird twists and turns that remind many of David Ferrie's involvement in the JFK conspiracy theories and his alleged links to Lee Harvey Oswald. The House Select Committee on Assassinations stated that "An unconfirmed Border Patrol report of February 1962 alleges that Ferrie was the pilot who flew Carlos Marcello back into the United States from Guatemala after he had been deported in April 1961 as part of the U.S. Attorney General Robert Kennedy's crackdown on organized crime."

Another Robert Mitchum film has a very real link to the chain of personalities involved with the JFK assassination: The Wrath of God. The Wrath of God is an offbeat Western genre film released in 1972. It starred Robert Mitchum (as Father Oliver Van Horne), Frank Langella (as Tomas de la Plata), Rita Hayworth (as Senora de la Plata), Ken Hutchison (as Emmet Keogh), Paula Pritchett (as Native woman), and Victor Buono (as Jennings) and was directed by Ralph Nelson.

(1) Paula Pritchett with director Ralph Nelson on location in Mexico.

(2) Pritchett sharing a laugh with (l to r) Rita Hayworth, Robert Mitchum, and Ken Hutchinson.

(3) Pritchett plays Chela, a mute indian girl who is about to raped by a gang of soldiers. However, she is saved by Hutchinson and Mitchum. Irish adventurer Emmett Keogh finds himself partnered with a hard-drinking priest named Van Horne in 1922 revolutionary Central America. Tricked into delivering guns by smuggler/con man Jennings, the three end up joining forces against despot Tomas de la Plata, who treats his subjects ruthlessly and who has a special hatred for priests. Van Horne, who seems to be a priest in costume only, decides to stand up to de la Plata and lead a revolt against him.

The film marks the final screen appearance by Rita Hayworth, whose health worsened as Alzheimer's disease took hold.

Adamson noted, "In 1972, Robert Mitchum was in a film with George de Mohrenschildt's daughter Alexandria in The Wrath of God. Mitchum was great in this film and Alexandra was an extra. Looking as good as Paula Pritchett, if not better."

Alexandra de Mohrenschildt

"G. H. W. Bush and de Mohrenschildt were all friends of Howard Hughes," wrote Adamson. "De Mohrenschildt claimed to be friends with Howard Hughes since 1938. Hughes was also from Houston and a Texas oilman and tied to George H.W. Bush."

Tom Slick's name was in George de Mohrenschildt's address book, the same one that interested the Warren Commission so much, which also contained "George Poppy Bush."

Alexandra's father, George de Mohrenschildt (April 17, 1911 – March 29, 1977) was a petroleum geologist and professor who befriended Lee Harvey Oswald in the summer of 1962 and maintained that friendship until Oswald's death two days after the assassination of U.S. President John F. Kennedy. He had personal acquaintance with the Bush family, including George H. W. Bush, with whose nephew, Edward G. Hooker, he had been roommates at Phillips Academy at Andover, Massachusetts. He also had personal acquaintance with the Bouvier family, including Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, the president's wife, when she was still a child. His testimony before the Warren Commission investigating the assassination was one of the longest of any witness.

Dresser Industries was a multinational corporation headquartered in Dallas, Texas, United States, which provided a wide range of technology, products, and services used for developing energy and natural resources. In 1928 the Wall Street investment-banking firm of W. A. Harriman and Company, Inc., converted the firm into a public company by issuing 300,000 shares of stock. H. Neil Mallon was selected as president and chief executive officer; holding that position until his retirement in 1962.

George H. W. Bush got his start in the Texas oil business through his father's friend Henry Neil Mallon, the president of Dresser Industries. Mallon offered George his first job at Dresser subsidiary International Derrick and Equipment Company (Ideco), in Odessa, Texas. Brown Brothers Harriman had underwritten Dresser’s transition from a private company to a publicly traded one. Years later, George named a son after Mallon (Neil Mallon Bush).

In 1953, Bush got money from Brown Brothers Harriman and, with partners Hugh and Bill Liedtke, formed Zapata Petroleum. By the late 1950s they were millionaires. Bush bought subsidiary Zapata Off-Shore from his partners and went into business on his own in 1954. By 1958, the new company was drilling on the Cay Sal Bank in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico. These islands had been leased to Nixon supporter and CIA contractor Howard Hughes the previous year and were later used as a base for CIA raids on Cuba. Tom Slick and Howard Hughes became such close friends that they had adjoining cottages at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Slick was Director on the Board for Dresser, until his death on October 6, 1962.

In 1998, Halliburton merged with Dresser Industries, which included Kellogg. Prescott Bush and Tom Slick were directors of Dresser Industries, which is now part of Halliburton.

http://copycateffect...nema-kills.html

Addendum

Robert: A couple of things. If you find the above interesting, you are cheating yourself if you do not go the URL because as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." I recently corresponded with Loren for the first time and he corrected me that Loren never wrote any books or articles together with Ivan Sanderson, as I had incorrectly written. http://copycateffect.com

also has features about Arlen Specter, Carl Oglesby and Gordon Novel.

Edited by Robert Howard