The Education Forum

The blond Oswald in Mexico

Ian, can you (or someone) provide a link to further info on this DeWitt, please? Or full name?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian, can you (or someone) provide a link to further info on this DeWitt, please? Or full name?

http://en.wikipedia...._assassination)

the umbrellaman, john, lewis steven de witt.... http://en.wikipedia....ki/Umbrella_Man

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_Man_(JFK_assassination)

..........fwiw there is ,much on the web and threads here at the forum...b

Edited by Bernice Moore

OK, thank you, Bernice. That person had been mentioned as Witt. The ''De'' puts it in a whole new context.

Is there any known connection of this person with Ohio or Columbia?

• 2 months later...

No.

The, for lack of a better description, "phony Oswald with blond toupee" is designated MEX, 63-23 in John Armstrong's CD, which supplements the book.

The previous image is 63-22...which is below.....This is Claude Capehart unless I am mistaken.

I would not make any claims regarding what connection, if any, exists between the two photos; but I do find it noteworthy, that the individual in MEX 63-22

seems to have blond hair on top, while having darker blond? or dark hair at the sides.

What does everyone else think?

That is not Witt.

Jack

This is not a complete document, but I did go to the trouble of including some rather pertinent data.

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Central Intelligence Agency/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection, Box 40/

NARA Record Number: 104-10110-10377

BIOGRAPHICAL DATA: CAPEHART, CLAUDE BARNES

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=14169

Birth: 15 Ocotber 1924, Omeka, Oklahoma

Marital Status: Robert Mary Nee: BALTEY b. 2 Dec

1922, Winsboro, La.; Address: Same as Subject.

Parents: Capehart, Henry Hayes b. 15 Oct 1876, Stamps,

Arkansas; Deceased.

Capehart, Laura Jefferson; Nee: GARBROUGH;

b. 1 April, 1873, Memphis Tennessee; Deceased

Children: Capehart, Neal Henry; b. 11 Aug. 1953 Bakersfield,

California; Add: Box 7011 Reno, Nev.

Military: September 43-July 46, U.S. Army Sergeant # 39145469

Claude Barnes Capehart aka Claude Buster Capehart

Social Security 566-22-5896

Date Added: June 1973

No.

The, for lack of a better description, "phony Oswald with blond toupee" is designated MEX, 63-23 in John Armstrong's CD, which supplements the book.

The previous image is 63-22...which is below.....This is Claude Capehart unless I am mistaken.

I would not make any claims regarding what connection, if any, exists between the two photos; but I do find it noteworthy, that the individual in MEX 63-22

seems to have blond hair on top, while having darker blond? or dark hair at the sides.

re having blond hair. Having been through no fault of my own lived with blond hair for quite a while It has certain qualities that have to do with sun exposure. ie trimmed hair may reveal a darker previously covered area that then with sun exposure again becomes a more blond blond (if there is such a thing. we all are blond at some time a wise friend once told me).

re the image : no comment

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

No.

actually to me at least it bears a resemblance to jimmy carter. not hinting at anything beyond that. i would bet my last dollar he wasn't involved. lol.

No.

actually to me at least it bears a resemblance to jimmy carter. not hinting at anything beyond that. i would bet my last dollar he wasn't involved. lol.

For those whose interest surpasses posting comments, the following is, by my definition, worth mentioning.......

page 30;

Commission Document 106 - FBI Clements Report of 31 Dec 1963

The name Bill Capehart was found in an address book in some of Ruby's property.

William D. Capehart, 6834 Carolyn Crest Drive, advises he is commonly known as Bill, that

he met Ruby seven or eight years ago. Mr. Capehart advises he is co-owner of the A&B Bag Company.

He stated they deal in burlap bags. He stated that seven or eight years ago, a representative of a company which

sells pizza food, called upon him and wanted him to handle the ingredients for making pizza.

He stated that since he was in the bag business, these two items did not complement each other from a sanitation

standpoint, therefore he had turned the offer down.

He could not recall the name of this individual, but remembers that the representative asked him who might be

interested in handling their product.

Capehart stated he could not recall where he heard it, but that he told this individual, that he heard Ruby,

who operated the Vegas Club on Oak Lawn was very interested in pizza food products.

Capehart went with the representative to the Vegas Club on Oak Lawn where he met Ruby for the first time.

Capehart stated he saw Ruby once or twice after this, but has never known anything about the man. He has

not seen him since him that time. He did not know of any connection between Lee Harvey Oswald or Ruby

and knows nothing of any other associates.

http://www.maryferre...06&relPageId=51

http://www.maryferre...wRec.do?id=1929

Tel. Number UN -5262 [is missing a digit]

In the 1964 Dallas Residential Telephone Directory William D. Capehart's phone number with same address is listed as TA 6-5262

http://www.maryferre...06&relPageId=51

Sources: CD 4, p. 767;

http://www.maryferre...5&relPageId=779

CD 106, p. 30; CD 355, p. 143

Edited by Robert Howard

• 4 months later...

No.

Can we take one more crack at this? Today, thanks to Greg Parker giving me the correct spelling of Ed Rabel's name, I found the transcript of Ed Rabel's coverage on the Cuban discussion in 1978 about Azcue seeing Oswald at the consulate.

John Armstrong reports in his book that Azcue provided photos of the man known as Oswald inside the Cuban consulate to CBS reporter Ed Rabel. The blond man portrayed is clearly not Oswald. "One photograph showed a man in a light colored sweater walking toward the lower left of the picture. The second photograph was of a man walking towards the right."

Rabel reports on CBS Evening News a slightly different story - that the Cubans published “a photo” which they say was the man impersonating Oswald as he left the consulate in 1963. “The photo, they said, was taken by other CIA agents stationed in an espionage center near the consulate…the photograph is apparently a copy of the one the CIA released to the Warren Commission, but later withdrew.”

Near as I can tell, the Oswald photo Kathleen posted on this page is the only blond Oswald photo on the internet. Could someone post the other photo from Armstrong's book (I lost my disk ages ago)? And could someone explain where these photos came from? In other words, if Azcue gave two photos to Rabel, how did the photos get from Rabel to Armstrong?

Bill, Here are both photos and the story:

I don't know how Mr. Armstrong got the photos, Jack White may know that story, but these were pictures taken by the Cuban government in the fall of 1963. This man visited the Cuban Embassy in Mexico City and called himself Lee Harvey Oswald. On a Friday afternoon on 9/27/63, Oswald arrived at the consulate, he handed them an application to obtain a Cuban visa right there on the spot for a Monday departure on 9/30/63, even though he had no Soviet visa.

When Oswald was refused the visa, he acted out and caused an unforgettably boisterous scene. Despite American claims, none of the consulate employees who were present could positively identify Oswald as the person at the Cuban consulate that day. Cuban consul Eusebio Azcue was emphatic in testifying that Oswald was not the "dark blond" man angrily demanding an instant visa.

post-6350-082029800 1303067107_thumb.jpg

on page 646-47 of Harvey and Lee by John Armstrong:

The Cuban's description of Oswald

Oswald's visit to the Cuban Consulate, and his physical description, were described by Silvia Duran during her interrogation by the DFS on November 23, the day after the assassination. A 10 page statement was signed jointly by Duran and the DFS and was given to the Warren Commission in May 1964, but only after several revisions. The original version of this report, which was given to the CIA station in Mexico City, described Oswald as "blond, short, dressed unelegantly (sic), and whose face turned red when angry." These descriptions were removed before the report was given to the Warren Commission.

Cuban consul Eusebio Azcue and Silvia Duran remembered the Oswald who visited their consulate had thin, blond hair, stood about 5-foot-6, and was over 30 years old. Azcue saw Lee Harvey Oswald on television after the assassination and said he "did not even resemble" the man who visited the consulate.

On April 1, 1978 Azcue was interviewed by the HSCA and said that he would never have identified Lee Harvey Oswald as the man who visited the Cuban Consulate in Sept. 1963.

On Thursday Aug. 3, 1978 Azcue was interviewed on television by CBS evening news reporter Ed Rable. Azcue produced photographs (above) taken in the Cuban consulate, of the man who identified himself as Lee Harvey Oswald.

One photo showed a man in a light colored sweater walking toward the lower left of the picture (left). The second photo was of a man walking toward the right (right). Neither of these photos looked anything like the man accused of assassinating President Kennedy.

Duran would go on describe the Mexico City Oswald as having blond hair and blue eyes. In 1978 HSCA investigator Edwin Lopez located and interviewed two CIA assets who worked inside the Cuban Consulate during Oswald's visit. Both people said the person who visited the consulate was not the man accused of assassinating President Kennedy and both told Lopez that they reported this to the CIA station in Mexico City.

Thanks for all your great work Bill,

Zach

Edited by Zach Robertson

Bill, Here are both photos and the story:

I don't know how Mr. Armstrong got the photos, Jack White may know that story, but these were pictures taken by the Cuban government in the fall of 1963. This man visited the Cuban Embassy in Mexico City and called himself Lee Harvey Oswald. On a Friday afternoon on 9/27/63, Oswald arrived at the consulate, he handed them an application to obtain a Cuban visa right there on the spot for a Monday departure on 9/30/63, even though he had no Soviet visa.

When Oswald was refused the visa, he acted out and caused an unforgettably boisterous scene. Despite American claims, none of the consulate employees who were present could positively identify Oswald as the person at the Cuban consulate that day. Cuban consul Eusebio Azcue was emphatic in testifying that Oswald was not the "dark blond" man angrily demanding an instant visa.

post-6350-082029800 1303067107_thumb.jpg

on page 646-47 of Harvey and Lee by John Armstrong:

On April 1, 1978 Azcue was interviewed by the HSCA and said that he would never have identified Lee Harvey Oswald as the man who visited the Cuban Consulate in Sept. 1963.

On Thursday Aug. 3..., 1978 Azcue was interviewed on television by CBS evening news reporter Ed Rable. Azcue produced photographs (above) taken in the Cuban consulate, of the man who identified himself as Lee Harvey Oswald.

One photo showed a man in a light colored sweater walking toward the lower left of the picture (right). The second photo was of a man walking toward the right (left). Neither of these photos looked anything like the man accused of assassinating President Kennedy.

Duran would go on describe the Mexico City Oswald as having blond hair and blue eyes. In 1978 HSCA investigator Edwin Lopez located and interviewed two CIA assets who worked inside the Cuban Consulate during Oswald's visit. Both people said the person who visited the consulate was not the man accused of assassinating President Kennedy and both told Lopez that they reported this to the CIA station in Mexico City.

Thanks for all your great work Bill,

Zach

The two photos were released to the press by the HSCA with a caption which asked for the help of the public in

identifying them. I somewhere (from Jim Marrs) have a copy made from the actual AP newswire images. Obviously

neither man even resembles LHO.

Jack

That is not Witt.

Jack

This is not a complete document, but I did go to the trouble of including some rather pertinent data.

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Central Intelligence Agency/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection, Box 40/

Arkansas; Deceased.

I believe there is a photo of someone in front of the TSBD who looks like Claude Capehart. I have been unable to find it, but if I recall, it bears a resemblance to these embassy photos. Anyone have a copy of that photo and can post it? This Capehart thread is interesting and Jim D did a story on Claude Capehart in his publication Probe V4 #1 entitled "The Capehart Caper"

That is not Witt.

Jack

Arkansas; Deceased.

I believe there is a photo of someone in front of the TSBD who looks like Claude Capehart. I have been unable to find it, but if I recall, it bears a resemblance to these embassy photos. Anyone have a copy of that photo and can post it? This Capehart thread is interesting and Jim D did a story on Claude Capehart in his publication Probe V4 #1 entitled "The Capehart Caper"

I couldn't upload the Jim Murray photo but here's link to it on Robin Unger's great website:

http://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=41&pos=18

--Thomas

I couldn't upload the Jim Murray photo but here's link to it on Robin Unger's great website:

http://www.jfkassass...album=41&pos=18

--Thomas

104-10110-10377

aka Buster Barnes Capehart

Arkansas; Deceased.

The Search for Lee Harvey Oswald pg 248, by Groden, Robert J. (1995)

Another revelation of a false Oswald was reported on the first installment of the 1975 CBS television miniseries The American Assassins, during which an interview with ex-gunrunner Robert Ray McKeown by Dan Rather was shown. McKeown said he received a visit from "Lee Harvey Oswald" a few weeks before John Kennedy's murder. The man claimed that he was interested in buying bazookas and machine guns and intimated that he represented others. McKeown said

that a tall Latino named Hernandez accompanied "Oswald. According to McKeown "Oswald was this little guy small blond-headed. Oswald was certainly not a small man. Nor did he have blond hair; it was brown. And what of his companion. Who was he? It is interesting to note that on August 9, 1963 when Lee was arrested in New Orleans for fighting with three anti-Castro companions, one of these three men was a tall Latin man with a mustache named Celso M. Hernandez.

Robert: Groden goes on to posit that Oswald was potentially working with Hernandez, [if the Hernandez who was at McKeown's was the same person as Celso Hernandez] since the N.O. fight helped establish Oswald's pro-Castro bona-fides,

At this late juncture it might be worth a conjecture, even if it is highly speculative could Hernandez, if he indeed visited McKeown been working with Capehart?

CIA records state that Capehart worked for two different private business contractors

on U.S. government classified projects but the records the Review Board examined

do not show that CIA ever employed him as an officer, staffer, asset or source.

The records indicate that at least one of the private contractors for whom Capehart worked

Global Marine, Inc., did have CIA contracts........

The CIA Holds two files on Capehart—an Office of Security File, and a medical file

page 108 Final Report of the Kennedy Assassination Records Review Board - By John R. Tunheim

Judge [David Minier] Sues Over JFK Information

He Wants CIA To Answer Questions Over Mystery Man [Capehart]

http://www.maryferre...bsPageId=222330

Capehart allegedly told a "female friend" in Chowchilla i.e. Madera County who did not want to be identified, [still feared retribution] that, [besides working for Hughes Glomar Explorer] he was in the TSBD at the time of the assassination........

the CIA after the agency refused to tell Minier whether Claude Barnes Capehart had ever been employed by the CIA and whether Capehart was in Dallas in November 1963 when Kennedy was assassinated

In 1979 Fore and Minier prepared to meet with Capehart for an interview....but another one of those

mysterious deaths, that the HSCA laughed to scorn.

He died of a heart attack in 1989.

After he died, Minier said "things kind of dried up."

buried

Kern County Cemetery

Delano

Kern County

California, USA

Claude B. Capehart

1924-1989

Roberta M Capehart

1922-1992

http://www.findagrav...6903740&df=all

Robert: I find it interesting that none of the documents seems to indicate his height, weight etc...

And there is another oddity, in that if you scour the files, most of the documents are circa 1973

But here is one that isn't

FORM REQUESTING NAME CHECKS AT VARIOUS GOVERNMENT AGENCIES (CAPEHART)

http://www.maryferre....do?docId=14178

It's dated four days after the assassination......

He has or had a son, who still may be living.

Edited by Robert Howard