The Education Forum

The blond Oswald in Mexico

I do not believe there is any one opinion, or interpretation of "facts" that can make two Mexican officials description of a "blond Oswald" fall into the same first-day evidence subsequently dismissed as inaccurate... What were those discarded statements? Weapon described as "Argentine Mauser," 30.06 rifle, Oswald-Ruby ties alleged, decades later it is asserted that when Jack

Ruby called 1026 N. Beckley and the line was busy, Jack would call with the pretext of an emergency, and the operator would cut-in. Obviously, the point-counterpoint has went on

ad infimitum. Well, there is another account to be summarily dismissed. Joachim Joesten apparently cited the same article in his book or article as the case may be. see search results

maryferrell.org

It would also be worth remembering that the Dallas Times Herald while taking its lead from the Dallas Morning News as very protective of "Dallas' image," was not uninterested in pursuing the truth, at least that is my stipulation.

At any rate, the article cited by Joesten ran in the Dallas Times Herald on November 22, 1963, and also by 1986 or thereabouts the Dallas Morning News purchased the financially strapped

Dallas Times Herald, and thus acquired its extensive archives, exclusively.

The November 22, 1963 Dallas Times Herald ran a story entitled

JFK Patrolman Killing Linked

A police officer was fatally wounded in an incident in Oak Cliff which high-ranking officers

said might be connected with the shooting of President Kennedy. The police radio reported the

officer identified as J. D. Tippitt was slain by a white man about 30, about 5-8 and slender

with dark hair. Details of the shooting in the 400 block of W. 10th were not immediately avail-

able. A suspect was caught about an hour later at 2:10 p.m. at the Texas Theater on West

Jefferson. "There may be a tie-in," investigators said. "On a thing like this we have to check

everything. We have a report the fellow who did the shooting of the policeman had a rifle in

a car with him. His description from what we've heard from some witnesses," one officer

declared. Officers said a white jacket, believed to have been worn by the policeman's

assailant, was recovered near the scene of the shooting. "The suspect in shooting of the

officer was about 25 years old with his blond hair cut short. He was slightly built with a

ruddy complexion.

Wearing dark pants and a brownish sportscoat, the youth put up a fight when police went into

the theater to arrest him. Officer's grabbed him and hustled him out of the theater, put him

in a squad car and rushed him downtown, said Mrs. Julia Postal, cashier at the theater.

A plainclothes Dallas detective said the man clicked a revolver twice, when cornered at the

Texas Theater on Jefferson St. He was subdued by a dozen uniformed and plain clothes

officers and rushed to the police station. Another Dallas police detective said the general

description of the suspect captured in Oak Cliff matched that of the man eyewitnesses said

shot the President.

But detectives gave no details on how the descriptions matched.

END

I would also point out that "assuming" and "probably" which most of the naysayers are so

quick to dismiss vital information with held are not mutually exclusive. Hopefully, we all

know the adage about assuming. The idea, let alone the statement in a newspaper that a suspect

in Dallas on the day of the assassination had "blond hair cut short," should at least be noted

when the Oswald impersonator in Mexico also had "blond hair." It would also be worth pointing

out that there ARE declassified photos showing, "someone with blond hair," whom Bill Simpich

has referenced repeatedly, not to mention the Lopez Report noted a "report" that a tall thin

blond-haired man was seen in the company of Oswald.

If I were to apologize for anything it would NOT be for "needing someone to tell me how to think."

Edited by Robert Howard

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...At any rate, the article cited by Joesten ran in the Dallas Times Herald on November 22, 1963...

JFK Patrolman Killing Linked

"...The suspect in shooting of the officer was about 25 years old with his blond hair cut short. He was slightly built with a ruddy complexion. Wearing dark pants and a brownish sports coat, the youth put up a fight when police went into the theater to arrest him. Officer's grabbed him and hustled him out of the theater, put him in a squad car and rushed him downtown..."

Well, Robert, this is a new spin on the topic. Here again is a reference to Blonde Hair with reference to Oswald -- and that is remarkable.

Now, we are looking at a verbal report of the arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald at the Texas Theater about 90 minutes after the shooting of JFK. Since we also have film of part of this arrest, we can compare the film with this report.

What is remarkable is that Oswald arrested at the Texas Theater clearly did NOT have blonde hair.

Now, one might say that the killer of J.D. Tippit is the one claimed to have had blonde hair -- not the man who was arrested at the Texas Theater. Clearly the writer of this article in the Dallas Times Herald didn't know that.

It seems to me, Robert, that the question you're raising runs like this: insofar as Tippit was killed by a man with blonde hair, and insofar as the Mexican Authorities at the Cuban Consulate said that Lee Harvey Oswald had blonde hair -- that this might suggest a "double Oswald" theory. Is that right?

In other words, Oswald might have deliberately sent this "double Oswald" into the Cuban Embassy to Impersonate him -- and was so close to this "double Oswald" that even in Dallas, they might have had interactions, especially on 11/22/1963, and especially in the Oak Cliff area near where Oswald lived.

Is that right?

My response is this -- I'm confident that Lee Harvey Oswald didn't kill J.D. Tippit - - but that Roscoe White and one other DPD officer *did* kill J.D. Tippit (as maintained by Dallas native and ear-witness, Mike Robinson).

Now, in the 1950's, Roscoe White had blondish-brown hair, which he kept short, as a Marine. Yet in 1963, Roscoe's hair was darker, and he was going bald.

Did Roscoe White also accompany Lee Harvey Oswald (and perhaps Loran Hall and Larry Howard) to Mexico City?

Is it possible, as Richard Case Nagell averred, that Nagell frightened Oswald when he insisted he would have to kill Oswald if he ever got passage to Cuba from Mexico City, so that Oswald asked an IMPERSONATOR to take his place at the Consulate?

These are interesting questions. Around the same time that Nagell admittedly threatened Oswald, Marina said Oswald sat in his kitchen alone, sobbing. Around that same time, Oswald desperately tried to think of new ways to get into Cuba without going through Mexico City -- for example, the stupid idea of hijacking an airplane for that purpose. Thus Marina.

In any case -- the empirical evidence comes back to Mexico City, IMHO -- and to the loose way in which human beings interpret hair color -- depending on the local culture.

For those whose culture is immersed in black-haired people, any lighter colored hair might be called blonde (just as any lighter colored skin might be called white, though it may be far from white).

This is what confuses the issue.

IMHO, the solution must be sought in the fact that the Mexican staff at the Cuban Consulate in 1963 spoke with Lee Harvey Oswald *personally* and also saw his application WITH PHOTOGRAPHS as reproduced for the CIA in The Lopez Report (1979, FOIA 2003).

The Mexican staff had plenty of opportunity to say that the man in the PHOTOGRAPHS was not the same man that they spoke with. THEY SAID NOTHING OF THE KIND. Even with those PHOTOGRAPHS in their hands, they still called Oswald a "Blonde". And that is why I continue to maintain that the term, "Blonde" in this context of Mexico City is culturally conditioned.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

It is remarkable how little I disagree with your comments, it would be worth a moment to point out that what I hope is my contribution to JFK research, is not so much to influence

perceptions but, in the words of the late Gerry Patrick Hemming to "keep it real;" So, in that sense what is incumbent upon me is to make sure everyone who reads my posts is "aware" of what is in the universe of facts, speculation and leads, with an emphasis on the latter. So, I am not advocating a particular belief as much as letting individuals do their own thinking.

As they say in the movie JFK...Clay Shaw...."it's one thing to engage in badinage......but this sort of thing could be so easily misunderstood."

It is remarkable how little I disagree with your comments, it would be worth a moment to point out that what I hope is my contribution to JFK research, is not so much to influence perceptions but, in the words of the late Gerry Patrick Hemming to "keep it real;"

So, in that sense what is incumbent upon me is to make sure everyone who reads my posts is "aware" of what is in the universe of facts, speculation and leads, with an emphasis on the latter. So, I am not advocating a particular belief as much as letting individuals do their own thinking.

As they say in the movie JFK...Clay Shaw...."it's one thing to engage in badinage......but this sort of thing could be so easily misunderstood."

Very good, Robert; I like your project to "keep it real."

Also, that's a great line from Oliver Stone's JFK (1991). Until we finally get the finally ARRB releases of the Top Secret material still being held by the US Government about the JFK murder -- everything we say "could be so easily misunderstood."

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2014 at 10:48 AM, Thomas Graves said:

In case you missed it.....

Nikolai Leonov interpreting for Castro and Khrushchev in Moscow.

He was usually in Mexico City.

Nikita+Kruschev,+Nikolai+Leonov+y+Fidel+

http://manchiviri.blogspot.com/2013/12/por-que-fracasaran-las-reformas-de-raul.html

Here's the short, blond, thin-faced guy who was secretly photographed by the CIA in Mexico City.

Oswald_in_Mexico_thin_blond.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Leonov

Bill Simpich was right.

--Tommy :sun

bumped just for the heck of it

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2011 at 2:39 AM, Robert Howard said:
On 6/19/2011 at 11:09 PM, Jim DiEugenio said:
  On 6/13/2011 at 2:54 AM, Bernice Moore said:

fwiw...

Bernice, one of the revelations of the Lopez Report is that Anne Goodpasture not only knew this guy in the Mystery Man photo was not Oswald, but she very likely knew who he really was. He was a KGB agent named Yuri Moskalev.

Now Goodpasture is also the person who delivered the tape to the Texas border the night of the assassination, of a voice that was not Oswald's.

She was in on the cover up to her neck. As she worked not just for Win Scott, but David Phillips. Phillips sent some of the transcripts to himself at CIA HQ under an alias "Michael CHoaden". And RIchard Sprague strongly suspected that these transcripts were altered since the Tarasoffs did not recognize them when he showed them to the translating couple.

104-10428-10010

THEORY RE MOSKALEV, YURIY IVANOVICH AND UNIDENTIFIED MAN

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=6502

very short excerpt

was identified by [ ]1PSTREAM as a KGB type by name of “Yuri” whom he knew in Moscow in 1964

1. Can we find hoto that Penkovsky identified of Moskalevskiy.

2. May I see Penkovskiy’s 201 file for period of 61-63?

end

Chris Hopkins JFK Task Force, seems to have had a lot of interest in this aspect of

the Mexico City affair.....

would like to know who [ ]1PSTREAM was......

Bumped for James DiEugenio

It's interesting to note that Mr. DiEugenio has very insightfully written about David A. Phillips (one of the "players" in Mexico City and the man who gave Goodpasture glowing job performance evaluations) that  -- 

"Phillips sent the dubiously-transcribed Mexico City tapes of Oswald by pouch to himself at Langley under an assumed name [Michael C. Choden]. Why would he do such a thing? Well, maybe so that no officers but he and Goodpasture would have the tapes from their origin in Mexico City until their arrival at CIA HQ. This mini-conspiracy was blown in two ways. First, when FBI officials heard the tapes as part of their Kennedy murder investigation and concurred that they were not of Oswald. Second, when HSCA first counsel Richard Sprague showed the official transcripts of the tapes to the original Mexico City transcriber. The transcriber replied that what was on those transcripts was not what he recalled translating."

http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKphillips.htm  

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

It appears the name is UPSTREAM and was written about in a number of different books starting with Weisberg.

This is "Not In Your Lifetime"...

Yuri Moskalev said to be Mystery Man yet only UPSTREAM is named source.jpg

and here is the CHOADEN memo...

63-10-01 BULK MATERIALS POUCH HSCA seg cia collection box 32 - Phillips sends puch to himself as Choaden.png

If there is one thing I have learned on this beat is this: do not rely on photo comparisons unless they are of exceptional quality and they are dead on full shots.

E.g. Shane O'Sullivan with the three CIA officers at the Ambassador Hotel.  And that is just one, I could go on at length.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2015 at 6:42 PM, Thomas Graves said:

bumped

(My handlers told me to bump it again, seein' how it's topical and everything.)

This guy's two 10/02/63 Mexico City CIA photos were labeled "LEON," as in LEONOV.  (Nikolai Leonov was a Mexico City-based KGB Officer in 1963.)

Oswald_in_Mexico_thin_blond.JPG

Image result for "nikolai leonov" "blond oswald"

Nikolai Leonov interpreting for Fidel Castro in Moscow, 1963.

Nikita+Kruschev,+Nikolai+Leonov+y+Fidel+

This is just a couple of oar-derves, folks.

Edited by Thomas Graves

On 2/1/2013 at 4:20 AM, Bill Simpich said:

I think we all know how it's confusing in Mexico City - was Oswald in the consulates, or was he impersonated?

I noticed a piece of evidence that may make the analysis easier. Could we kick this one around?

If Jack Childs/SOLO was telling the truth...a big if...about Fidel being told after 11/22 that Oswald came into the Cuban

embassy and on his way out shouted, "I'm going to kill Kennedy", that would explain a lot. Because the Oswald

character would have been told "you're in the wrong place - go to the consulate".

Castro said that when Oswald "stalked in and walked in and ran out that it itself was a suspicious movement, because nobody comes to

an Embassy for a visa (they go to a Consulate)." See Hosty's book at 277, or to the second document below.

There's support from a surprising quarter. Teresa Proenza, the cultural attache, also reported being approached by Oswald in the embassy, and passed him on to someone higher in rank - that certainly wasn't Duran, who was lower in rank and worked in the consulate.

Here's the very first document, a 6/11/64 26-page SOLO report that is constantly referenced...

http://vault.fbi.gov...part-60-of/view (p. 86 is the page about LHO, 19 of 26)

written by ACB of the NY field office to the Director, starting at page 68.

"(Castro) said Oswald was involved. Our people in Mexico gave us the details in a full report

of how he acted when he came to Mexico to their embassy. He said first of all nobody goes

that way for a visa. Second, it cost money to go that distance. He stormed into the embassy,

demanded the visa and when it was refused to him headed out saying I'm going to kill Kennedy

for this."

Now here's the second document, on the next day, 6/12/64. This follow-up is from JDO at the

NY field office to the Director, where Childs is quizzed at great length about anything else

he might know about Oswald in Mexico City. Hosty has a copy of it in his book at 276-278, the

FBI website has it at http://vault.fbi.gov...rt-59-of-1/view (pp 58-59) This makes it clear

that the man called Oswald visited the Cuban Embassy - not the Consulate!

"I was told this by my people in the Embassy - exactly how he (OSWALD) stalked in and walked in and

ran out. That in itself was a suspicious movement, because nobody comes to an Embassy for a visa (they go to a Consulate.)"

"The informant stated that the implication was that Oswald came running in like a "mad man" demanding a visa and immediately the

people in the Embassy suspected that something wrong - why go to the Soviet Union through Cuba?"

"he yelled on his way out "I'm going to kill that bastard. I'm going to kill Kennedy".

"(Jack Childs) was of the opinion that the Cuban Embassy people must have told Oswald something to the effect that they were sorry

that they did not let Americans into Cuba because the US government stopped Cuba from letting them in and that is when Oswald

shouted out the statement about killing Kennedy."

By the way, Beatrice Johnson (the CPUSA liaison to the Cuban Communist Party) and and Fidel's physician and aide Rene Vallejo were with Castro and Childs in the conversation. According to Sylvia Duran - although she never referred to her by name - Beatrice Johnson was someone Oswald should have contacted if he was serious about wanting to go to Cuba. AS Beatrice Johnson was the CPUSA liaison to the Cuban Communist Party, working with those two parties were

the way Sylvia told LHO that most people from the USA use to go to Cuba.

Here's the third document, a memo from Baumgartner to Sullivan on 6/12/64. Note how the story wobbles:

"Castro reportedly stated, 'our people gave us the details in a full report of how he (Oswald) acted when he came to Mexico to their

embassy (uncertain whether he means Cuban or Russian embassy)."

The fourth document, Hoover's famous memo to Rankin on 6/17/64, scrubs away

1) any reference to the Cuban consulate, or

2)"my people" at the Embassy,

3) the man called Oswald running in "like a mad man", or

4) the people in the embassy suspecting something was wrong, or

5) the man calling JFK a "bastard".

In short, it erases Fidel's astonishment that Oswald went to the embassy instead of the consulate.

The FBI and CIA chiefs weren't about to let Rankin know all that.

It sounds like this was an entirely separate incident than the three incidents that Duran had with "Oswald" at the consulate. This is a fourth incident, with "Oswald" at the Cuban Embassy.

This could have even involved Claude Capehart (or whoever the blond man was) at the embassy on September 26. The CIA got two quick photos of this guy as he rushed in and out of the embassy at 1:30.

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=4476&relPageId=2 (the 1:30 visit)

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=4476&relPageId=3 (see photos 23 and 24)

This 9/26 event had nothing to do with Duran or Azcue.

Or the embassy visit could have been an event after LHO's three visits to the Cuban Consulate on Sept 27.

The photos of the Cuban embassy during Oswald's stay were ordered by the HSCA right after Fidel's testimony on April 3.

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=4500&relPageId=3

What do you think?

Bill,

I know I'm I'm shooting from the hip here, but it sounds as though an Oswald impostor intentionally went to the wrong place (for going to Cuba) -- the hard-to-find Cuban Embassy in Mexico City -- and intentionally made a scene in which he threatened, in a way that intentionally suggested Kennedy had sent him there to sneak into Cuba and kill Castro), to kill Kennedy.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Tommy,

I can't quite go with you on your theory about "the intentional scene caused by Oswald".  If it's true - which I am not sure about at all - Oswald could have done it for any number of reasons.

The big question for me remains whether Oswald went to the Cuban embassy.  I get the feeling we are looking at the same document when you refer to the "hard-to-find Cuban embassy"...

I never considered the Cuban embassy as "hard to find" until I took a hard look at the document I cited earlier in this thread - specifically, expat Elizabeth Mora tells two Mexican FBI informants that Teresa Proenza ran into Oswald "cold" at the Cuban embassy and she turned him over to the nearest person who was "higher in rank and spoke English"...the FBI agent writing the memo describes the Cuban embassy as "difficult to find".

Maybe Mora just had a poor memory, but this FBI summary refers to this event and says Proenza "turned (Oswald) over to Silvia Duran, a personal friend of Proenza, and embassy employee."   That's a different story from the Mora story...did it come from Proenza, Duran, or somewhere else?  It would be good to find the source. 

If you believe the Jack Childs story that Oswald comment about "I'm going to kill Kennedy" - a big if - that would mean that Fidel knows something about the story that nobody else seems to know. 

Fidel's meeting with the HSCA members is worth checking out.  It is very jovial.  Fidel makes a point of not attacking Azcue, but makes it clear he has "no special theory" whether or not the real Oswald came to the Cuban compound.  He does not discuss the embassy vis-a-vis the consulate with the HSCA members.   Duran and Azcue don't tell us the "I'm going to kill Kennedy" story - if the Childs story is true, it sounds like it happened at the embassy and not the consulate.

Like you are doing, I hope as many of us as possible keep digging deeper into the documents we have on hand.  It's the best way to prepare for whatever we find out in October. 

Bill

I am glad Bill apparently disagrees with TG about the Childs story.  

BTW, are there any rules on this site about "flooding the board"?  Because it seems to me that is what TG is doing in order to push his agenda forward about MC.  Or else why does he bring back threads that are literally years old.  I mean if you cannot make progress on the current threads, does that mean you can bring back old threads?  And then make people who disagree with you answer those also?

What this does is crowd out other current  threads, that may be of interest to others.  

I don't mind at all debating a topic on a thread.  But I don't understand at all why we have to debate the sam topic over four threads when, in fact, these threads were already burnt out years ago.  And he brings them back to flood the board with his agenda.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Jim -

I am not a big fan of a most threads but I like this one.  

I think the blond Oswald has been a red herring for a long time, and I hope this thread can put a few theories to bed.  At the same time, the role of the blond Ernesto Lehfeld Miller who visited the Cuban Embassy on September 26 is not yet completely understood.

The first thing I want to say is that I agree with you that photo studies are among the least reliable evidence there is, unless they are very good photos and there is reliable corroborating evidence.  Trying to make sense of them is a humbling experience.

One is that the pictures released by the HSCA in 1978 portray Oswald - the photos I have posted make a strong case that one of the men identified as "LEON" on the CIA photos is Nikolai Leonov, the man "who was David Phillips' alter ego" for the Soviets in Mexico City.  Not just because of the resemblance, but because LEON is written down and Leonov regularly went in and out of the station.

The other is that the blond man who appeared in the Embassy on September 26 was the friend of the Duran family - Ernesto Lehfeld Miller.  I didn't identify him - but

I went to the National Archives and read the depositions of Silvia, her then-husband Horacio, and the whole family - they all identified Ernesto Miller as the man after looking at the photo, and they testified that he would regularly borrow Horacio's car. 

A line of inquiry I am looking at is that Horacio and Ernesto were both architects, and the intelligence documents have a fair amount of discussion about the 7th Congress of the International Union of Architects between September 27-October 3.   A CIA agent within the architects was quizzing Teresa Proenza about this conference - Proenza was a close friend and ally of Silvia Duran.

I will submit it is possible that Ernesto Lehfeld Miller impersonated Oswald on September 26.  Not probable, but possible.  Hardway and Lopez made a finding that a 5 foot six blond "Oswald" appeared at the embassy on September 26, wearing a light blue "Prince of Wales" suit.   So it can't be ruled out - but it is not found in the final conclusion contained in the Lopez-Hardway report.  Again you are quite right - that is a fine document. 

I'm mailing the document to Dan today to see if it jogs his memory as to why they apparently changed their mind about this initial finding.  I believe they decided it was Ernesto Lehfeld Miller, because the Duran family interviews were conducted in  the closing months of the HSCA study.

Finally, I want to address a misunderstanding about what i referred to in my book as the Oswald-Webster "uncanny resemblance" and said that they looked "almost exactly the same".  You wrote that I thought the two men were "dead ringers" for each other.  The difference is subtle, but important.

The difference is that I think the resemblance can be seen in photos.  A glance shows that they are not the same man.  But the resemblance is important because it got people to talk about the resemblance.  And talking among Soviets was what was important, because any wiretaps would pick up that conversation. 

Similarly, I am very struck that both Webster and Oswald were identified as 5 foot 10 and 165 pounds.  It is simply not an honest description of Oswald.  The question in my mind is why were each of them given the identical description?  Like "Henry" and the quarrel about whether or not Oswald had "renunciated his citizenship", this is all grist for the mill in a molehunt. 

From your comments, I think the biggest difference that you and I have is that you don't believe a molehunt happened.   The molehunt remains a theory - not a fact - an important distinction with Mr. Trump as president.   I do think there is much good evidence to support the theory.

Bill

Bill:

As I said, I don't mind debating tho issue at all.  But I do mind TG flooding the board with burnt out threads.

Bill, in your post are you saying that Leonov resembled Phillips?

Edited by James DiEugenio