The Education Forum

Internet Radio

Nick Falk

Copy of my posting in the science area

I have had this idea that the next vehicle for schools publicising themselves to their local community should be an Internet radio station. Most schools have a website that provides information to parents and students about the running of the school and the curriculum on offer. Some have started to create of a digital curriculum and have students creating their learning material.

Could this be supplemented by a schools own web radio?

Is Internet radio 'an untapped treasure' as recently suggested by Glenys Hart in the December edition of Educational Computing and Technology?

I have been encouraging teacher in my own school to consider the potential of in-house Internet radio programmes being made available to students and learners in the local community.

Here is an Internet radio station which I have been running fo a few years. Not geared to the curriculum

http://www.live365.com/stations/285707

The use of Internet radio as I see it is:

1. Students can access pre-recorded audio programmes at any time in or out of school. Whether this is accompanied by set work/research tasks is down to the course designer.

2. As with many learning experience the creation of material is the most beneficial experience. The programme is devised and recorded as an MP3 file. The file can then be uploaded to the school webspace (capacity not being a problem?) or sent to a remote server that will stream the file continually. The cost of this service is about £60 a year. Slightly more expensive services allow you more control over timing.

Reference to comment about connection. Broadband in schools has improved access and data transfer speed but there are still times when things go wrong. Have a backup plan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One option will be to run the programmes on the school intranet. These would be just stored and accessed when required.

This could be replicated on the Internet (space allowing)

The other alternative is to have a programme streamed. Less control as it will just loop. (cheap option)

The compremise is to have timed programmes. (a bit more expensive)

My radio station works on the former principle but there is the option to broadcast lve from my hard drive. Since I am still on a dial up I have not investigated this further.

:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I regret to being a little off topic :lol: but Web Radio is far too good to waste on education!

I listen to my taste in somewhat esoteric music from all over the World.

I read newspapers from all over the World to gauge other people's opinions.

I watch a little TV from other countries to broaden my mind.

I enjoy the culture of other nations as far as I can through web radio with language problems involved.

It is a brilliant resource for me. I guard the knowledge of it jealously from my pupils. It is far too good for them.

You will be encouraging students to use short wave radio next! :lol:

Richard