The Education Forum

Canada and the Queen

Evan Burton

Our local paper has described how Canada is undergoing a resurgence of calls for Canada to "cut the colonial ties" with the Queen. There are similar calls in Australia, for us to become a republic.

I'm not a monarchist, but neither am I in favour of a republic. I'm happy with the status quo.

What about our Canadian forum members? Are you in favour of Canada cutting ties with the Queen, I suppose becoming a republic? Do you want things to remain as they are? Why?

Just interested.

Our local paper has described how Canada is undergoing a resurgence of calls for Canada to "cut the colonial ties" with the Queen. There are similar calls in Australia, for us to become a republic.

I'm not a monarchist, but neither am I in favour of a republic. I'm happy with the status quo.

What about our Canadian forum members? Are you in favour of Canada cutting ties with the Queen, I suppose becoming a republic? Do you want things to remain as they are? Why?

Just interested.

I didn't know that Canada had any continuing ties to the Queen.

I have never liked the British monarchy or the notion that its members are entitled to some kind of birthright privileges.

I liked Princess Diana, who tried to use the monarch for good and not for personal aggrandizement.

Just interested.

Evan, she is your boss and you (and I but I am retired) took an oath to protect her and her property. You'll be out of a job if she goes.

I couldn't care less about the queen. In a perfect world Mrs Windsor could retire to a little cottage with Phil and the corgis and all the land and property redistributed to society. If we lived in a true democracy such an anachronism as monarchy would be impossible. I don't put any energy in to the republican push though as I would rather change the whole political system instead of replacing one elite with another. I have no problem with other ties to the UK as many people here are of British decent. It is part of our culture and past but the monarchy doesn't have to be part of the future. I think we deserve a better class system.

One thing I have often pondered. It would be kind of ironic if Britain becomes a republic before the former colonies do. I wonder how that would leave things?