The Education Forum

Unforgettable Scenes

Cigdem Göle

From The Bridges Of Madison County

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaMST_hNUVQ

Plot Summary

The path of Francesca Johnson's future seems destined when an unexpected fork in the road causes her to question everything she had come to expect from life. While her husband and children are away at the Iowa state fair in the Summer of 1965, Robert Kincaid happens upon the Johnson farm and asks Francesca for directions to Rosamunde Bridge. He explains that he is on assignment from National Geographic magazine to photograph the bridges of Madison County. She agrees to show him to the bridges and thus begins the bittersweet and all-too-brief romance of her life. Through the pain of separation from her secret love and the stark isolation she feels as the details of her life consume her, she writes down the story of this four-day love affair in a 3-volume diary. The diary is found by her children among her possessions and alongside Robert Kincaid's possessions after Francesca is dead. The message they take from the diaries is one of hope that they will do what is necessary to find happiness in their lives -- whatever is necessary. After learning that Robert Kincaid's cremated remains were scattered off Rosamunde Bridge and that their mother requested a similar disposition for her own ashes, the children must decide whether to honor their mother's final wishes or bury her alongside their father as the family had planned. Adapted from the novel by Robert Waller, this is the story of love that happens just once in a lifetime -- if you're lucky.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112579/plotsummary

Meryl Streep shines and she gives the best performance of her career (IMO), including Sophie's Choice.

Whenever I watch this scene I can't help but say "please, open the door".

Edited by Cigdem Eksi

• 2 weeks later...

Possession (2002), based on the novel by A.S. Byatt

Plot Introduction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christabel_LaMotte)

The novel concerns the relationship between two fictional Victorian poets, Randolph Henry Ash and Christabel LaMotte, as revealed to present day academics Roland Michell and Maud Bailey. Following a trail of clues from various letters and journals, they attempt to uncover the truth about Ash and LaMotte's past before it is discovered by rival colleagues.

"With you. And by extension, all creatures who remotely resemble you. Which is, all creatures, for we are all part of some divine organism I do believe, that breathes its own breath and lives a little here, and dies a little there, but is eternal. And you are a manifestation of its secret perfection. You are the life of things."

"Oh no. I am a chilly mortal, as Mrs Cammish said yesterday morning, when I put on my shawl. It is you who are the life of things. You stand there and draw them into you. You turn your gaze on the dull and the insipid to make them shine. And ask them to stay, and they will not, so you find their vanquishing of equal interest. I love that in you. Also I fear it. I need quiet and nothingness. I tell myself I should fade and glimmer if long in your hot light."

-p.310

in "EVITA" Che' and Eva waltz and sing together. The movie following her collapse after eating a wafer # in a church ceremony, and her subsequent death is replete with memorable scenes. Antonio Banderas plays Che' in many guises as he follows her career. In a sense one could say he represents the conscience and Eva the mother who gave birth to him/it.

# was she assassinated?

(Events that followed, including the Murder of Che' in CIA custody, as he appears to be heading for the Argentine border, is another fragment of the Monroe Doctrine and the dream of a Great Southern Empire by the Confederates as they sought to secede. The rise of the Bush et al Dynasties, while a latter day blow (11/22/63 12:30) in the never-over civil civil war legitimised the Union. ie what goes around comes around. The seed of the antithesis is planted in the genesis of the thesis.

Go OBAMA. get RFK jr in, get Ted S. What's Charles Evers (brother of Medgar and close friend of RFK) doing?}

Edited by John Dolva

• 2 weeks later...

12 Angry Men - Sydney Lumet, 1957

It was difficult for me to choose one specific scene from such an excellent film.

Plot Summary

The defence and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young Spanish-American is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open and shut case of murder soon becomes a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/plotsummary

UltraViolet : any scene preceded by "watch me" stated by Mila (a la Equilibrium optimum kill zones) (coreographed by martial arts masters).

The final statement pre end/credits.

Corpse Bride - 2005

Plot Summary

When a shy groom practices his wedding vows in the inadvertent presence of a deceased young woman,

she rises from the grave assuming he has married her.

A fabulous scene...

• 2 weeks later...

The Lake House

Plot Summary

When two people "connect" the bond between them can be so pure and simple as to stir hearts in heaven. When they connect in all the right places at all the wrong times, heaven weeps for broken hearts. To heal these broken hearts, heaven breaks time. Written by Blithe Spiritus

Kate Forster is moving out from her lake house, built all of it with glass. She is a doctor and has just begin to work in a hospital in Chicago, moving to a new flat in the center of the city. Alex Wyler is the new owner of the lake house, a young architect who's working in the construction of a new complex of houses at the city skirts. Alex and Kate are maintaining a correspondence, talking about the house matters, sending each other letters, which are put in the lake house's letter box. But a strange thing is happening, because both of them find out that the letter box is working as a kind of time communication channel, between the year 2004, where Alex's living, and 2006, the year that Kate's actually living.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/

• 1 month later...
in "EVITA" Che' and Eva waltz and sing together. The movie following her collapse after eating a wafer # in a church ceremony, and her subsequent death is replete with memorable scenes. Antonio Banderas plays Che' in many guises as he follows her career. In a sense one could say he represents the conscience and Eva the mother who gave birth to him/it.

# was she assassinated?

(Events that followed, including the Murder of Che' in CIA custody, as he appears to be heading for the Argentine border, is another fragment of the Monroe Doctrine and the dream of a Great Southern Empire by the Confederates as they sought to secede. The rise of the Bush et al Dynasties, while a latter day blow (11/22/63 12:30) in the never-over civil civil war legitimised the Union. ie what goes around comes around. The seed of the antithesis is planted in the genesis of the thesis.

Go OBAMA. get RFK jr in, get Ted S. (What's Charles Evers (brother of Medgar and close friend of RFK) doing?}

Evita (Peron) Argentina...haven for the 'Rat' s

(Suddenly the film grinds to a halt.

The people in the cinema begin to protest but are

silenced by an announcement)

THE VOICE OF THE CINEMA MANAGER

It is my sad duty to inform you

that Eva Peron, spiritual leader of the nation, entered

immortality at 8:25 this evening.

2. REQUIEM FOR EVITA / OH WHAT A CIRCUS

(EVA's funeral. CHÈ is the only non-participant. He

moves through the mourners, apparently unseen.)

CROWD

Requiem aeternum dona Evita

Requiem Evita

Requiem Evita

Evita

Evita

Evita

Evita

Requiem Evita

Requiem Evita

Evita

Evita

Evita

Evita

CHÈ

Oh what a circus! Oh what a show!

Argentina has gone to town

Over the death of an actress called Eva Peron

We've all gone crazy

Mourning all day and mourning all night

Falling over ourselves to get all of the misery right

Oh what an exit! That's how to go!

When they're ringing your curtain down

Demand to be buried like Eva Peron

It's quite a sunset

And good for the country in a roundabout way

We've made the front page of all the world's papers today

But who is this Santa Evita?

Why all this howling hysterical sorrow?

What kind of goddess has lived among us?

How will we ever get by without her?

She had her moments--she had some style

The best show in town was the crowd

Outside the Casa Rosada crying, "Eva Peron"

But that's all gone now

As soon as the smoke from the funeral clears

We're all going to see how she did nothing for years!

CROWD

Salve regina mater misericordiae

Vita dulcedo et spes nostra

Salve salve regina

Ad te clamamus exules filii Eva

Ad te suspiramus gementes et flentes

O clemens o pia

CHÈ

You let down your people Evita

You were supposed to have been immortal

That's all they wanted

Not much to ask for