The Education Forum

Michael Eddowes

Michael Eddowes is a very interesting character in the JFK case. The son of a lawyer, he was born in Derby in 1903. After completing his education he worked for his father before eventually establishing his own law firm in London. In 1956, he sold his law firm and invested Bistro Vino, a chain of restaurants.

In 1955 he published The Man on Your Conscience, an investigation into the murder trial and execution of Timothy Evans. The book caused renewed interest in the case and eventually Evans received a posthumous pardon by the Queen. This case played an important role in the subsequent abolition of capital punishment in Britain.

In the late 1950s Eddowes became a close friend of Stephen Ward, an osteopath working in London. On 28th October, 1962, Ward introduced Eddowes to Christine Keeler. As Keeler later revealed: "I kept my date with Michael Eddowes but he was far too old for me. He was nearly sixty but her certainly was interested and wanted to set me up in a flat in Regent's Park."

During this period Christine Keeler became involved with two black men, Lucky Gordon and John Edgecombe. The two men became jealous of each other and this resulted in Edgecombe slashing Gordon's face with a knife. On 14th December 1962, Edgecombe, fired a gun at Stephen Ward's Wimpole Mews flat, where Keeler had been visiting with Mandy Rice-Davies.

Two days after the shooting Keeler contacted Eddowes for legal advice about the Edgecombe case. During this meeting she told Eddowes: "Stephen (Ward) asked me to ask Jack Profumo what date the Germans were to get the bomb." However, she later claimed that she knew Ward was joking when he said this. Eddowes then asked Ward about this matter. Keeler later recalled: "Stephen fed him the line he had prepared with Roger Hollis for such an eventuality: it was Eugene (Ivanov) who had asked me to find out about the bomb."

Eddowes then went to see Stephen Ward about what Christine Keeler had told him. Ward insisted it was Eugene Ivanov who had asked Keeler to find out information about the delivery of nuclear warheads to Germany from John Profumo. On 29th March, 1963, Michael Eddowes called Scotland Yard with this information.

On 21st March, George Wigg asked the Home Secretary in a debate on the John Vassall affair in the House of Commons, to deny rumours relating to Christine Keeler and the John Edgecombe case. Richard Crossman then commented that Paris Match magazine intended to publish a full account of Keeler's relationship with John Profumo, the Minister of War, in the government. Barbara Castle also asked questions if Keeler's disappearance had anything to do with Profumo.

The following day Profumo made a statement attacking the Labour Party MPs for making allegations about him under the protection of Parliamentary privilege, and after admitting that he knew Keeler he stated: "I have no connection with her disappearance. I have no idea where she is." He added that there was "no impropriety in their relationship" and that he would not hesitate to issue writs if anything to the contrary was written in the newspapers.

As a result of this statement the newspapers decided not to print anything about John Profumo and Christine Keeler for fear of being sued for libel. However, George Wigg refused to let the matter drop and on 25th May, 1963, once again raised the issue of Keeler, saying this was not an attack on Profumo's private life but a matter of national security.

On 5th June, John Profumo resigned as War Minister. His statement said that he had lied to the House of Commons about his relationship with Christine Keeler. The next day the Daily Mirror said: "What the hell is going on in this country? All power corrupts and the Tories have been in power for nearly twelve years."

Eddowes continued to run the Bistro Vino chain of restaurants. He also took an interest in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. In his book, Khrushchev Killed Kennedy (1975), Eddowes argued that Kennedy was killed by a Soviet agent impersonating Lee Harvey Oswald. Eddowes also claimed that Lyndon B. Johnson was aware of this and had covered-up the role of the KGB in the killing of Kennedy in order to prevent a nuclear war with the Soviet Union. It was later revealed that the book had been financed by the Texas oil billionaire, Haroldson L. Hunt.

The following year Eddowes published November 22: How They Killed Kennedy (published in the United States as The Oswald File. In the book Eddowes claimed the assassination was an act of political sabotage and that this information had been withheld from the authors of the Warren Commission.

To test his theory, Eddowes brought a suit in Texas to exhume Oswald's body. This was originally refused but after gaining the support of Lee Harvey Oswald's family, the exhumation took place on 4th October, 1981. The body was taken to the Baylor Medical Center. Identification was made primarily using dental records. At a news conference held later the following statement was issued: “The findings of the team are as follows: We independently and as a team have concluded beyond any doubt, and I mean beyond any doubt, that the individual buried under the name of Lee Harvey Oswald in Rose Hill Cemetery is in fact Lee Harvey Oswald.”

Eddowes also issued a statement: “Though surprised, I am in no way disappointed in the apparent disproving of my evidence of imposture. Rather, I have accomplished my objective in obtaining the exhumation and I am glad for those who have steadfastly maintained the contrary for whatever reason.”

According to Wikipedia, "Eddowes' son later wrote a book in which he disputed his father's claims that Timothy Evans was innocent. He pointed out that his father suffered from mental illness and died in an insane asylum a victim of schizophrenia." I added this information to my own page on Michael Eddowes.

Yesterday I had an email from Michael Eddowes' son pointing out that the Wikipedia entry is incorrect:

My father died in 1992 (not 1982) aged 90. His son to whom you refer, who wrote various books on the same subjects as my father, is my half-brother, John Eddowes.

My father died in Oaklands, a rather pleasant (as far as these places ever are) 'retirement hotel' in Felpham, near Bognor Regis, here is west Sussex. It was then a new residential home and my father was the first person to die there. My mother, his second wife of three, lived in the same street as Oakland (hence my arranging for he to stay there) and they remained friends until his death and he visited her for tea most days. Prior to that he had lived alone for many, many years in Yeoman's Row, SW3 until he could no longer manage on his own.

It certainly isn't, or wasn't, as you describe. My brother's theory on my father's health is simply not true. He lived to a ripe old age and was active until nearly the end, fishing and writing.

He fell asleep and died aged ninety as a the result of a burst aneurysm.

I have of course corrected this mistake and asked for further information on Eddowes who appears to be a character well worth investigating.

When he was in Texas, I met with Michael Eddowes more than once. One day he was sitting at my office

desk and during the conversation about LHO and exhumation, he casually mentioned, I AM RETIRED

BRITISH INTELLIGENCE. I cannot vouch for his veracity, but that is what he said.

Jack

When he was in Texas, I met with Michael Eddowes more than once. One day he was sitting at my office

desk and during the conversation about LHO and exhumation, he casually mentioned, I AM RETIRED

BRITISH INTELLIGENCE. I cannot vouch for his veracity, but that is what he said.

Jack

I will ask his son about this. I have also received these questions from Gary Mack:

Here are three questions for Eddowes' son:

1) Is it true he was descended from Jack the Ripper victim Catherine Eddowes?

2) Is it true that on his trips to the US to exhume Oswald that he shipped his personal Rolls Royce here?

3) Did he accept that the real Oswald was exhumed as he stated on local TV?

Gary Mack

Reply from Mike Eddowes:

I really don't want to, or feel qualified to, respond to most of those!

I do believe he hired a Rolls Royce in the States - he certainly owned and drove them in London for many years until he sold his last Rolls and bought a small Suzuki!

It was easier for him to drive and keep his fishing tackle in!

Reply from Mike Eddowes:

I really don't want to, or feel qualified to, respond to most of those!

I do believe he hired a Rolls Royce in the States - he certainly owned and drove them in London for many years until he sold his last Rolls and bought a small Suzuki!

It was easier for him to drive and keep his fishing tackle in!

For all the good his "work" on the JFK Assassination did for posterity, maybe he should have just gone fishing the whole time he was here.

Michael Eddowes is a very interesting character in the JFK case. The son of a lawyer, he was born in Derby in 1903. After completing his education he worked for his father before eventually establishing his own law firm in London. In 1956, he sold his law firm and invested Bistro Vino, a chain of restaurants.

Eddowes continued to run the Bistro Vino chain of restaurants. He also took an interest in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. In his book, Khrushchev Killed Kennedy (1975), Eddowes argued that Kennedy was killed by a Soviet agent impersonating Lee Harvey Oswald. Eddowes also claimed that Lyndon B. Johnson was aware of this and had covered-up the role of the KGB in the killing of Kennedy in order to prevent a nuclear war with the Soviet Union. It was later revealed that the book had been financed by the Texas oil billionaire, Haroldson L. Hunt.

The man we know as Lee Harvey Oswald, in my opinion, was a Russian spy. I believe the Oswald that went over to Russia, possibly never came back. On the Internet there is tape of Oswald over in Russia reading something in English. His pronunciation was very poor and his accent weirdly British. But it was the same voice heard 3 years later on the 2 American radio shows and at the Dallas Police Station.

Also, Oswald, shot by Ruby, is not a blood relative of Robert Oswald. If he was, Robert would have visited LHO's kids. Marina and her daughters were never visited by "Uncle Robert." And if we could have a blood test done to see if they're related, we would know for sure.

I do not believe LHO, shot by Ruby, killed President Kennedy. They sheep-dipped him for something evil and he wasn't wise enough to know it.

Kathy C