The Education Forum

ELT and Applied Linguistics Journals With Free Full Text Articles

Cigdem Göle

No, I'm not. It's just one of the resources I use and find quite helpful.

However,I was briefly involved in the Distance Turkish Learning Program carried out by Ankara University.

http://www.turkish-center.com/

I'm currently working in the Testing Office and Integrated Skills Program (aside from teaching full time)

for the English Preparatory Classes of upper-intermediate and advanced levels in AU School of Foreign Languages.

There are some really good tools there - thanks for sharing :D

You're welcome.

You might also find this link helpful, personally I do!

www.mustteachertrainerstortureteachers.com

:P

There are some really good tools there - thanks for sharing :P

You're welcome.

You might also find this link helpful, personally I do!

www.mustteachertrainerstortureteachers.com

:P

seems there may be an issue there :D Would you like to share?

The issue is that teacher trainers are full of ideas most of which do not work in the classroom.

And having to listen to them for hours explaining how to teach what (grammar, vocabulary etc) gets extremely boring after thirteen years

Maybe it will be best to divide trainers in two groups; those who are still actively teaching and those who are not.

It's the the second group of teacher trainers who come up with the most unrealistic ideas. Most probably because they have been away from the classroom for so long that they have forgotten what really works and what doesn't.

Edited by Cigdem Göle

The issue is that teacher trainers are full of ideas most of which do not work in the classroom.

And having to listen to them for hours explaining how to teach what (grammar, vocabulary etc) gets extremely boring after thirteen years

Maybe it will be best to divide trainers in two groups; those who are still actively teaching and those who are not.

It's the the second group of teacher trainers who come up with the most unrealistic ideas. Most probably because they have been away from the classroom for so long that they have forgotten what really works and what doesn't.

That's interesting. Up until a couple of years ago I believed teacher training was best placed in Universities and led by academics. However having worked in a SCITT (School centred teacher training) organisation for one day a week for the last year my views have changed dramatically. Getting practising school teachers to get involved in the training of other teachers also has a very positive impact of their own practice and the ethos of the school.

That's interesting. Up until a couple of years ago I believed teacher training was best placed in Universities and led by academics.

I gave up believing that when I began teaching in the university.

However having worked in a SCITT (School centred teacher training) organisation for one day a week for the last year my views have changed dramatically. Getting practising school teachers to get involved in the training of other teachers also has a very positive impact of their own practice and the ethos of the school.

Of course my views are based on the teacher training programs carried out in universities. I don't have any experience as to how it is done in primary, secondary or high schools or if it is effective there.

• 2 months later...