The Education Forum

IB v A Level in Design Technology

Hi there all.

I was wondering what thoughts colleagues have with regards to this issue? I have been teaching Design Technology for 17 years now. Prior to coming to the International School Of Toulouse in 1999 to start up a department from scratch (including introducing IB Design Technology), my only post 16 experience was A - Level and then the A/AS scenario in schools in the UK (although I was educated overseas in Hong Kong where I followed the A-level Design Technology course as a student). Personally, having now taught the IB for 5 years, I think that it has significant advantages over the A/AS level courses for a variety of reasons, not least that it really does delve into a broad range of Design and Technological issues and the three examination papers are really quite challenging. The downsides currently (although these are soon to be addressed in the 'new' DT syllabus for IB I hope...) are the lack of 'design' work on paper (A3 and A2 portfolio work) required. For me, this design development sketching is probably the most important component....Having read the mixed reviews recently about the current A/AS levels (and results in the UK press) I would be interested to hear other viewpoints from other DT colleagues.

Any other thoughts?

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

I currently teach Design Technology AS and A2 (AQA). The syllabus allows a great deal of flexibility. The syllabus provides lots of scope for Product Analysis, sketching, problem solving (A3 and A2).

The theory is relatively simple at AS level as the students study 'Materials and Components' and 'Design in Society'. It is slightly more difficult than GCSE. They are expected to produce coursework consisting of a folder and a model/prototype.

In A2 they produce a Product Study, sit one exam (a combination of Materials/Components and Design in Society) and coursework consisting of a folder and a prototype. The amount of marks given for the project have been significantly reduced.

The theory is of course at a much higher level and allows us to concentrate on the history of Product Design.

The IB Design Technology seems interesting. I would like to know more about it.

Andy D

• 2 months later...

Hi David

At last I met the great man. Thanks very much for showing us your wonderful department. Most British Design and Technology teachers would be envious. It is quite obvious that you have put in a great deal of effort and time in making the department as successful as it is. What you really need is the support of an enthusiastic technician.

I think the school owes a great deal to you. I hope we manage to work together in the future and that your examination results are a success this year.

Andy

:D

Hi David

I'm glad to hear things are going really well in the D&T Dept at IST. You just need to do two things to improve it: 1. Get rid of those Macs and get some real computers. 2. Do something about that beard!

Seriously I need to source some research on girls and D&T. Can you point me in the right direction?

Goodonya Mate. Keep up the good work.

Hi Andy. Thank you for your kind and supportive words sir! :up It was really good meeting you too. :) My only frustration was not being able to find time to sit down and 'shoot the breeze' all things Design and technology over a couple of beers in the sun. That said, it will now be a priority to find the opportunity sometime soon!! :feed I hope the end of your 'exam' courses go well and that all is not too frantic back at base. I have managed to start to collect some interesting information on the Aviation project too (see other thread) and I am really looking forward to continuing this initiative with all of those involved. All the best for now and I will make sure that we will meet up again soon. Cheers for now m8y.

David :lol:

Well G'day Tony M8! How are things down under? Great to hear from you! :up Things are slowly developing here at the IST in the DT arena. I am focusing on several initiatives currently including the IB side of things (where I am now involved in the Group 4 review, the Internal Assessment criteria and also soon to be the new IB Design Technology guru at the Online Curriculum Centre which will be a challenging and rewarding role) :lol: So, girls and D&T. What are you after sir? IS MGG is looking to introduce the subject, or to resource a facility or to build upon already established practice? Let me know and I will offer whatever help I can sir! Hopefully I will speak to you very soon! Love to the two girls, a pat to the dog and take care for now you old *******. :feed . Davo PS If you want to talk about rugby or need a shoulder to cry on just give me a call......