The Education Forum

Narcissistic personality

Gerald Blaine states that Kennedy was "narcissistic."

Diagnostic Features:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance, need for admiration, extreme self-involvement, and lack of empathy for others. Individuals with this disorder are usually arrogantly self-assured and confident. They expect to be noticed as superior. Many highly successful individuals might be considered narcissistic. However, this disorder is only diagnosed when these behaviors become persistent and very disabling or distressing.

Complications:

Vulnerability in self-esteem makes individuals with this disorder very sensitive to criticism or defeat. Although they may not show it outwardly, criticism may haunt these individuals these individuals and may leave them feeling humiliated, degraded, hollow, and empty. They may react with disdain, rage, or defiant counterattack. Their social life is often impaired due to problems derived from entitlement, the need for admiration, and the relative disregard for the sensitivities of others. Though their excessive ambition and confidence may lead to high achievement; performance may be disrupted due to intolerance of criticism or defeat. Sometimes vocational functioning can be very low, reflecting an unwillingness to take a risk in competitive or other situations in which defeat is possible. Individuals with this disorder have special difficulties adjusting to growing old and losing their former ?superiority?.

Comorbidity:

In this disorder, sustained feelings of shame or humiliation and the attendant self-criticism may be associated with social withdrawal, depressed mood, and Dysthymic or Major Depressive Disorder. In contrast, sustained periods of grandiosity may be associated with a hypomanic mood. Anorexia Nervosa, Substance-Related Disorders (especially related to cocaine), and other Personality Disorders (especially Histrionic, Borderline, Antisocial, and Paranoid) frequently co-occur with this disorder.

Associated Laboratory Findings:

No laboratory test has been found to be diagnostic of this disorder.

Prevalence:

The prevalence of Narcissistic Personality Disorder is less than 1% of the general population. It is seen in 2% to 16% of psychiatric outpatients. This disorder is more frequent in males (50% to 75%) than females.

Course:Narcissistic traits are very common in adolescents, but most adolescents grow out of this behavior. Unfortunately, for some, this narcissistic behavior persists and intensifies into adulthood; thus they become diagnosed with this disorder.

Edited by Peter McGuire

Peter,

I wanted to check Blaine on this issue of narcissistic personality disorder and located a Fox interview with Blaine and Clint Hill.

Listen to Clint Hill's recounting of the shooting. He fails to mention the missed shot that fragmented aand struck/nicked James Tague.

These guys are just awful. They have no idea what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAKFq6wXGKA

Edited by Terry Mauro

When asked about the "Cottage Industry of Conspiracy Theories" Hill responds that the facts are JFK was hit in the back with the first shot, LBJ was hit by the second shot and that JFK was hit in the head with the third shot, and that's the way it happened. Except that's not the way it happened according to the official story.

What else about the official story isn't a fact?

BK

There is a major difference between being narcissistic and having Narcissistic Personality Disorder .. The former usually indicates a self centered, egotistical person, while the latter is a serious mental condition that is akin to sociopathy.

Kennedly never dispalyed the typical characteristics of having that mental disorder.

There is a major difference between being narcissistic and having Narcissistic Personality Disorder .. The former usually indicates a self centered, egotistical person, while the latter is a serious mental condition that is akin to sociopathy.

Kennedly never dispalyed the typical characteristics of having that mental disorder.

I Believe that Blaine never heard of the word before he was coached to act in this disgraceful manner.

His words translate to me as “Kennedy had it coming," or at the very least, had something to do with his own demise.

Edited by Peter McGuire

I was hoping to see your personal take on the piece., Peter.

Irrelevantly, whether the description of the dis-ease is correct or complete or not, I take it (GB) as a readily discreditable analysis, but then at the same I agree with Dr Arthur Janovs' statement that all of humanity is neurotic.

I think one quality about Kennedy that could draw so many diverse persons to him was simply his deep capacity of empathy.

I was hoping to see your personal take on the piece., Peter.

Irrelevantly, whether the description of the dis-ease is correct or complete or not, I take it (GB) as a readily discreditable analysis, but then at the same I agree with Dr Arthur Janovs' statement that all of humanity is neurotic.

I think one quality about Kennedy that could draw so many diverse persons to him was simply his deep capacity of empathy.

These gentlemen should be enjoying a peaceful retirement with their grandchildren. It's too bad they were enlisted to do what they are doing. Shame on those who made these guys do this.

A video with Mr. Hill in not so good days, and an interesting analysis by Roger Craig, Mr. Lane and Vince Palamara..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ntMfe95Js&NR=1

Edited by Peter McGuire

When asked about the "Cottage Industry of Conspiracy Theories" Hill responds that the facts are JFK was hit in the back with the first shot, LBJ was hit by the second shot and that JFK was hit in the head with the third shot, and that's the way it happened. Except that's not the way it happened according to the official story.

What else about the official story isn't a fact?

BK

Good point. Mr. Hill doesn't really know what happened or what supposedly happened. He is really being used.

Regarding the so called " conspiracy theory industry," I would like those who ever tried to make money this way come forward and show us your losses.

According to Mr. Hill, some 80% of 18 to 29 years olds, ( an interesting sample ) believe in conspiracy.

I believe that this age group couldn't tell you what decade Kennedy was killed in, much less have an opinion that anyone cares about.

Forget these demographics, these percentages are about right, but the history books say Oswald did it, so what is there to correct?

Peter, can you quote the sentence in which Blaine uses the description "narcissistic"? I'd like to know what damn business of his this is.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Blaine

At 56:24 Blaine states that President Eisenhower did not have a narcissistic bone in his body. When I first heard this on C-Span Blaine then elaborated on Kennedy's narcissism. Now, there is an edit at 57:25 which has taken out his direct comments about Kennedy being narcissistic.

Listen at 57:25 and see for yourself.

In minute 55 these two men say that youth will never trust history again. Two minutes later they rewrite it.

Edited by Peter McGuire

... Gerald Blaine worked for the Secret Service from 1959 to 1964. Blaine worked for several businesses after his time as an agent. Clint Hill was in the U.S. Army for three years before working for the Secret Service from 1958 to 1975. Mr. Hill was the Secret Service agent who jumped onto the trunk of the motorcade seconds after Kennedy was shot.

Very uniquely qualified, our Mr. Blaine is: five whole years in the Secret Service! Imagine! One would imagine that most agents and former agents look up to him as an authority; wouldn't YOU?

Do "motorcades" actually have trunks?

Good point. Mr. Hill doesn't really know what happened or what supposedly happened. He is really being used.

... According to Mr. Hill, some 80% of 18 to 29 years olds (an interesting sample) believe in conspiracy. I believe that this age group couldn't tell you what decade Kennedy was killed in, much less have an opinion that anyone cares about.

Other than that retail gives a really big and hairy rat's ass about what that demographic thinks, I agree 100% with the last statement.

I'm just trying to remember when it was that LBJ got shot. Did Hill really say that? (Tell me it isn't so!)

One would think that, before these guys went out to "shoot down" the "conspiracy industry" that they'd at least have become better versed in "what really happened." Sort of like walking into a Star Trek convention and expounding on Leonard Spock, the guy who played Mr. Nimoy.

I really liked the sequence where the guys were looking out of the 6th floor window (presumably, the Museum let them behind the plexiglas?) and proclaiming what an "easy shot" the head shot was. Having fired guns, I'm sure they're correct. What was up with those goons who shot for the "official" results anyway?

These gentlemen should be enjoying a peaceful retirement with their grandchildren. It's too bad they were enlisted to do what they are doing. Shame on those who made these guys do this.

I think - think! - that this probably rests squarely at the feet of the author, and any "co-opting" was his. Motivation? Money. After all, who wouldn't believe a guy who was there, however briefly, and want to know what he had to say? As for Hill, I'm sure you don't think he's doing all this running around the country entirely out of the goodness of his heart, do you?

Peter, can you quote the sentence in which Blaine uses the description "narcissistic"? I'd like to know what damn business of his this is.

At 56:24 Blaine states that President Eisenhower did not have a narcissistic bone in his body. When I first heard this on C-Span Blaine then elaborated on Kennedy's narcissism. Now, there is an edit at 57:25 which has taken out his comments.

Listen to 57:25 and see for yourself.

In minute 55 these two men say that youth will never trust history again. Two minutes later they rewrite it.

Edited by Peter McGuire

Good point.

I thought that the job of the Secret Service was to protect the President, the Vice President, their families and certain others - not to make character and personality assessments.

The "disorder" formerly called Narcissism was REMOVED from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) last week. It is now judged to be a "personality trait" but NOT a "mental or emotional" disorder. Perhaps if there are co-morbid symptoms that exist a separate diagnosis might be appropriate. However, as of right now, the manual published by the American Psychiatric Association (the DSM) has removed it.