The Education Forum

DPD at Dallas Airport?

James Richards

I am wondering if anyone knows the circumstances of this image below?

I can tell you the photograph was taken by Don Cravens on the afternoon of the 22nd of November, 1963. Were the DPD regularly checking outgoing luggage that day? If so, the tarmac seems like a strange place to do it.

James

Hi Greg,

I don't know which Dallas airport but like you, I found the image intriguing mainly because the guy on the right looks a lot like FBI agent Robert Barrett. He was photographed earlier in the day by Tom Dillard (see below) interviewing Officer Nick MacDonald who as you know was involved in the arrest of Oswald.

If this is Barrett, then the obvious question is what did MacDonald tell him? If it is not Barrett then why are the DPD checking luggage when they supposedly already had their man?

James

James, that is an extremely interesting photo as their are no dispatch calls nor other indications that DPD did anything at the local airports. The only exception is a mysterious radio call to the dispatcher later in the afternoon about "men with guns" being detained at a hanger at Love field. Up to now that has been a total mystery including whether or not a unit was there or whether it is a telephone report etc? There seems to be no other radio traffic in response.

It appears to me that those may be flight crew, especially the one in the slicker.

The officer at Red Bird was off duty which would raise the question of whether or not he would have been in uniform..... and of course the big question is who took the photo.

Congratulations on a true mystery photo! Larry

Some more information on the original photo I posted thanks to Gary Mack.

It seems that the image wasn't taken on the 22nd of November. It was snapped at Love Field and was a response to bomb threats which Earl Cabell and others received just prior to their trip to Washington for JFK's funeral.

James

Edited by James Richards

Greg,

James, I don't know the answer, but it's an intriguing photo.

Any idea which airport, or the names of anyone in it?

A former Dallas policeman told me:

"The airport is Love Field. The police vehicle is parked where the new concourse that is used by Southwest Airlines is now located.

The very small part of the terminal you can see is now leased out as office space.

I do not recognize anybody in the photo. I will send it to two old timers and see if they do."

Steve Thomas

Thanks James and Steve...

I'd say one is almost certainly Barrett. But in any case, since it was not taken on the day of the assassination, it is probably now of little interest - though identifying the individuals would be good from a purely historical perspective.

If this is Barrett, then the obvious question is what did MacDonald tell him? If it is not Barrett then why are the DPD checking luggage when they supposedly already had their man?

James

I wish I had the frontal images of this man in the DPD photo, but he is not the Bob Barrett of the FBI according to these images below. First I show the DPD photo and then the Bob Barrett photos from College and then later in his life. His ears sit higher - nose is not pointed among some other features that do not seem to match. The man in the DPD photo seems to have some thinning hair on top of his head while the Oakes Bob Barrett had thick hair. Barrett photos are courtesy of Mark Oakes/JFK assassination researcher and producer of a fine video pertaining to this mysterious FBI man.

Bill

In an update - Gary Mack shared this information with me ... " ... the man is Dallas Morning News

reporter Jim Ewell, whom I know personally.

The picture was taken shortly after 2pm on Friday, 11/22, as Ewell

interviewed Nick McDonald in the DPD hallway about his capture of Oswald.

It appears on page 201 of Dale Myers' Tippit book with a photo credit for

The Sixth Floor Museum. I identified the reporter for Dale.

The man in the middle is also a reporter, though I do not know his name."

Edited by Bill Miller

Thanks Bill,

Yes, Gary informed me of the man being Jim Ewell but for some reason I have been unable to post my correction - I kept getting errors. This is not the only forum I am having difficulties at. It has been driving me nuts. :)

This whole exercise shows that one shouldn't believe what one reads. The photo of Ewell and MacDonald was published in an old Australian Post magazine and the caption said it was Barrett.

The original image at the airport came form the Don Cravens collection and the back of the photo had, 'taken at Dallas airport, 22nd of November, 1963' written on it.

Anyway, does anyone know if the man below is FBI Agent Robert Barrett?

James