The Education Forum

Nelson L. Raynock

During the implementation of the AMWORLD program in the spring of 1963, several high level meetings were held by Stanley R. Zamka [David Morales], Andrew K. Reuteman [Theodore Shackley], and Nelson L. Raynock with AMBIDDY-1 [Manuel Artime].

One meeting lasted for 4 and a half hours. The role and obligations of Artime were spelled out. Here is the detailed cable: Meeting with AMBIDDY-1. Along with that, here is AMBIDDY's Progress Report. Here is a cable from the summer of '63 where Zamka, Reuteman, and Raynock met with AMBIDDY-1 again to "placate his impatience with ZRMETAL [Washington DC]" June Meeting to Director

Anyone know who Nelson L. Raynock might be? Here is a cable about how he is returning to WAVE after spending time in Mexico City: RAYNOCK

A clue might be that RAYNOCK dealt with AMTHRILL-1. AMTHRILL-1 in turn would later deal with AMBANG-1 who was Manuel Ray Rivero, leader of the Revolutionary Movement of the People (MRP) and later Junta Revolucionaria Cubana (JURE). Maybe I missed something, can anyone help me out?

Zach

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Bill Simpich for studying the documents available, it would appear that Nelson L. Raynock is Henry Hecksher.

Hecksher’s name is scribbled in the top right of this document.

Hecksher also used these pseudonyms: James D. Zaboth and Henry Boysen.

CIA Pseudonyms [Carl E. Jenkins, the only other CIA officer involved in AMWORLD to my knowledge, used the pseudo James E. Beckoff]

PHOTOS OF MANUEL ARTIME BUESA ALONE AND WITH MARTIN FERRER AND HENRY BOYSEN

Artime and Hecksher from the above link.

Artime_and_Hecksher.jpg

AMTHRILL's true identity is a mystery for another day.

Zach

• 6 months later...

Thanks to Bill Simpich for studying the documents available, it would appear that Nelson L. Raynock is Henry Hecksher.

Heckshers name is scribbled in the top right of this document.

Hecksher also used these pseudonyms: James D. Zaboth and Henry Boysen.

CIA Pseudonyms [Carl E. Jenkins, the only other CIA officer involved in AMWORLD to my knowledge, used the pseudo James E. Beckoff]

PHOTOS OF MANUEL ARTIME BUESA ALONE AND WITH MARTIN FERRER AND HENRY BOYSEN

Artime and Hecksher from the above link.

Artime_and_Hecksher.jpg

AMTHRILL's true identity is a mystery for another day.

Zach

Zach,

Try googling "Richard Case Nagell" and "Henry Hecksher" and Raynock together at the same time.

--Tommy :)

Edited by Thomas Graves

Zach,

Try googling "Richard Case Nagell" and "Henry Hecksher" and Raynock together at the same time.

Tommy,

Thanks for reviving this classic thread. When I do as you say I get Larry Hancock's great blog. I believe this was the 2nd entry from 18 December 2011:

Richard Case Nagell

I believe Nagell referred to Hecksher [Raynock] as "Bob."

Zach

Zach,

Tommy,

Thanks for reviving this classic thread. When I do as you say I get Larry Hancock's great blog. I believe this was the 2nd entry from 18 December 2011:

Richard Case Nagell

I believe Nagell referred to Hecksher [Raynock] as "Bob."

Zach

Zach,

Yes, Nagell knew him as "Bob", as in "Berlin Operating Base".

Interesting to note that in addition to "Nelson L Raynock", he used the names "James D Zaboth" and "Henry Boysen".

Zach,

Interesting to note that in addition to "Nelson L Raynock", he used the names "James D Zaboth" and "Henry Boysen".

Thanks Tommy,

Some time ago, it was brought to my attention that it is possible that Carl Jenkins is Zaboth. Jenkins used the pseudos Carl James and James Beckhoff. Personally, I still think Henry Hecksher is Zaboth since he was AMBIDDY-1's case officer but there are some goofy memos out there that can be quite confusing. B)

Zach

Zach,

Thanks Tommy,

Some time ago, it was brought to my attention that it is possible that Carl Jenkins is Zaboth. Jenkins used the pseudos Carl James and James Beckhoff. Personally, I still think Henry Hecksher is Zaboth since he was AMBIDDY-1's case officer but there are some goofy memos out there that can be quite confusing. B)

Zach

Zack,

The surnames "Raynock" and "Zaboth" are both unusual, especially the latter. I spent some time yesterday trying to determine the ethnic "ancestry" of those names but didn't make much progress (my 14-day free trial at ancestry.com expired a few weeks ago). Perhaps Tom Scully or Robert Howard could look into those two surnames, just to determine from which countries people with those names tend to come from, ancestry-wise. The reason I'm interested is because I figure Heckser (or whoever chose thos names for him) chose those names for himself in order to be able to work effectively as a spy in those countries (or perhaps in those particular US cities that have a disproportionately high percentage of people from those countries).

One possibility is that "Zaboth" is of Slovenian derivation. And I suspect that "Raynock" is a variation of the British name "Rayncock" (Raincock)...

--Tommy :ph34r:

Edited by Thomas Graves

Hi Tommy,

I concur with Zach in thanking you for breathing life into this thread that died on the vine some time ago. Many such potentially important topics have been gathering dust for too long.

I would caution you not to spin your wheels too hard searching ancestry banks for these Agency pseudonyms: some are created out of whole clothe, in my understanding. Others are deliberately obscure names. This way, they are not confused with real people.

Michael Choaden, a professional name that was used by David Atlee Phillips, is one example that comes to mind. A quick search (admittedly superficial) reveals one Choadens family, and no Choaden hits.

Your interest is much appreciated.

-- Steve

Edited by Steve Rosen

Zach

Zach,

Thank you for checking in. Your contributions & research are always most welcome.

It seems that the Ed Forum's other top anti-Castro experts (James Richards, John Kelly, Ryan Crowe, & Mike Hogan come to mind) are on extended sabbatical.

Cheers,

Steve

There was a mention from Jack White some time ago about how official pseudonyms are created:

Philip Agee's INSIDE THE COMPANY

The official names in documents are separate from field names like Maurice Bishop and Edward Hamilton. Phillips' use of Michael Choaden is interesting in that "Choaden" seems to be part of a series of inside jokes he enjoyed and mentioned in The Night Watch. Phillips also employed various other pseudonyms like Paul D. Langevin.

Steve, thanks for the kind words. I do enjoy checking in from time to time.

Zach

Zach,

Thanks for that link. I missed that thread. Philip Agee's book is really good.

I agree, the Michael Choaden pseudonym was very likely created by Dave Phillips as a joke.

He had a pretty good sense of humor (maybe not so subtle in this case), a penchant for veiled references, & the autonomy to pick & use a name that would sail right over most other people's heads at the Agency (except for maybe some other Latin American & Spanish hands).

- Steve

Hi Tommy,

I concur with Zach in thanking you for breathing life into this thread that died on the vine some time ago. Many such potentially important topics have been gathering dust for too long.

I would caution you not to spin your wheels too hard searching ancestry banks for these Agency pseudonyms: some are created out of whole clothe, in my understanding. Others are deliberately obscure names. This way, they are not confused with real people.

Michael Choaden, a professional name that was used by David Atlee Phillips, is one example that comes to mind. A quick search (admittedly superficial) reveals one Choadens family, and no Choaden hits.

Your interest is much appreciated.

-- Steve

Steve,

By choosing "Choaden" for a name, Phillips was making a vulgar joke. For the etymology of the word, see:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/choad#Etymology

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/choda

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/coder

P.S. A big "shout out" to Greg Parker, who posted this on another thread last year...

Edited by Thomas Graves

Yes, Tommy, thank you, I did pick up on that reference a while back.

I was keeping it clean for the kids who may be visiting the Ed Forum. I didn't want to hit the point on the head. So to speak.

"Michael C. Choaden" was used by a man, after all, who wrote a comedic play called "The Snow Job".

- Steve

Yes, Tommy, thank you, I did pick up on that reference a while back.

I was keeping it clean for the kids who may be visiting the Ed Forum. I didn't want to hit the point on the head. So to speak.

"Michael C. Choaden" was used by a man, after all, who wrote a comedic play called "The Snow Job".

- Steve

I listed these in the order of numerical hits, sorry I wasn't able to do more.....

BOYSEN

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSfn=&GSmn=&GSln=Zaboth&GSbyrel=all&GSby=&GSdyrel=all&GSdy=&GScntry=0&GSst=0&GSgrid=&df=all&GSob=n

By far the most common of the three surnames...Germanic...lots of Illinois Boysen’s as is the case for Zaboth

origin of the idea for pseudonym?

Chicago Tribune (IL) - January 26, 1964

Henry Boysen Jr.

Deceased Name: Henry Boysen Jr.

Henry Boysen Jr., 69, of 180 Homewood av., Libertyville, died yesterday in St. Petersburg, Fla. He was president of the Henry Boysen Well Drilling company, Libertyville. Mr. Boysen is survived by his widow, Eda; a son, Richard; four daughters, Mrs. Ruth White, Mrs. Evelyn Carlsen, Mrs. Lucille Meyers, and Mrs. Eleanor Smith; two brothers, and two sisters. Services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday in the chapel at 128 E. Park av., Libertyville.

Another example ...just for geography’s sake

La Crosse Tribune (WI) - September 15, 2011

Deceased Name: Hildegard 'Omi' Boysen

Mrs. Hildegard "Omi" Boysen, 91, went to be with her Lord on Thursday evening, Sept. 8, 2011, in Norton Shores. She was born Aug. 14, 1920, in Ochsendorf, Germany, to the Rev. Franz and Elizabeth (Woltmann) Seiffert. In 1939, she came to New York City to visit her sister, Elizabeth, only to become stranded due to the onset of World War II. Initially, while living on Long Island, she worked as a governess. Later she met Hermann Boysen, and on Dec. 16, 1950, they married, prior to moving to Oklahoma and Rochester, N.Y., before settling in Milwaukee. Hildegard has resided primarily in Muskegon since 2005. She was a member of Pilgrim Lutheran Church of Wauwatosa, where she loved playing both the piano and organ. Her musical repertoire included both hymns and classical music. She enjoyed playing golf and was a loving and giving volunteer at the Lutheran Home in Wauwatosa.

Survivors include two sons, Carsten P. Boysen, M.D., and wife Kandace Boysen of Norton Shores, and John "Peter" and wife Joyce Boysen of La Crosse; four grandchildren, Paul and Christopher Boysen of Norton Shores and Lexie and Annie Boysen of La crosse. She was preceded in death by her husband, Hermann, in 1976; and by her siblings, Eduard, Franz, Elizabeth, Karl and Mariechen.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, 2011, at Forest Park Covenant Church, 3815 Henry St., Norton Shores, Mich., 49441. Interment will be in Wisconsin Memorial Park, Brookfield, Wis. Memorial gifts to the Lutheran Home, 7500 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa, WI 53213, or American Diabetes Association will be appreciated. You are also invited to sign the family's online guest book at www.sytsemafh.com. Arrangements are by The Lee Chapel, Sytsema Funeral Homes, Inc., 6291 S. Harvey St., Norton Shores, Mich., 49444, (231) 798-1100.

La Crosse Tribune (WI)

Date: September 15, 2011

RAYNOCK

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSfn=&GSmn=&GSln=Raynock&GSbyrel=all&GSby=&GSdyrel=all&GSdy=&GScntry=0&GSst=0&GSgrid=&df=all&GSob=n

[Note There was not a single obit I found for a Nelson Raynock, which is not to say there isn't one]

Joseph F. Raynock

Morning Call, The (Allentown, PA) - December 19, 2011

Anna Raynock

West Volusia Beacon, The (DeLand, FL) - August 18, 2011

Raynock, Pauline M.

Palm Beach Post, The (FL) - September 20, 2010

Claire (Raynock) Radziwon

Bristol Press, The (CT) - August 21, 2010

Dorothy (Raynock) Skwiot

Herald, The (New Britain, CT) - August 3, 2010

ZABOTH

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSfn=&GSmn=&GSln=Zaboth&GSbyrel=all&GSby=&GSdyrel=all&GSdy=&GScntry=0&GSst=0&GSgrid=&df=all&GSob=n

Persons named Zaboth tend to come exclusively from Illinois, a melting pot city of emigrants

See

Kenneth D. Zaboth

Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL) - August 17, 2009

Edwin A. Zaboth

Chicago Tribune (IL) - 1981-12-15

Victoria Louise Zaboth, nee Popera

Chicago Tribune (IL) - 1972-08-23

Sgt. Dennis S. Zaboth

Chicago Tribune (IL) - 1948-12-22

Happy Hunting

Zach

Zach,

Thank you for checking in. Your contributions & research are always most welcome.

It seems that the Ed Forum's other top anti-Castro experts (James Richards, John Kelly, Ryan Crowe, & Mike Hogan come to mind) are on extended sabbatical.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve, thank you very much for that. I really appreciate it. I've never thought of myself as an expert.

I must thank Zach for rekindling my interest in the area of the anti-Castro elements. I've learned a lot from his posts; many times he has pointed me in the right directions and made me aware of things I did not know or had forgotten.

And for sure I have missed James Richards' contributions here. I hope he is doing well.