The Education Forum

David Sanchez Morales in Vietnam

When Ted Shackley was placed in charge of the CIA “secret war” in Laos, he brought along David Morales to be Chief of Pakse Base, a black operations station focused on political paramilitary action, in 1967. In 1969, Morales moved to Vietnam where he worked close with the military under the cover of the Agency for International Development until 1971.

This photo below is from James Richards who gave me permission to post it here at the Forum. It shows Morales (second from left) and four friends from the Vietnam days. These four men remain unidentified. Does anyone out there have any idea who they are?

Thanks,

Zach

aroberts@heidelberg.edu

David_Morales8.jpg

When Ted Shackley was placed in charge of the CIA "secret war" in Laos, he brought along David Morales to be Chief of Pakse Base, a black operations station focused on political paramilitary action, in 1967. In 1969, Morales moved to Vietnam where he worked close with the military under the cover of the Agency for International Development until 1971.

This photo below is from James Richards who gave me permission to post it here at the Forum. It shows Morales (second from left) and four friends from the Vietnam days. These four men remain unidentified. Does anyone out there have any idea who they are?

Thanks,

Zach

aroberts@heidelberg.edu

David_Morales8.jpg

The oriental guy in the middle has a name tag on his shirt, which somebody should be able to enlarge and see.

Is he Vietnamese, or possibly the Philippines or Taiwan?

The guys on the end also look familiar.

The idea that these guys were moved around from Cuba to Vietnam should also consider that before many of them were in Cuba, they were in the Philippines with Lansdale - who brought in some of his guys to train the Cubans for the Bay of Pigs in Guatemala.

If you read the JQ's Crimes of Patriots, he mentions the name of a bar/nightclub in the Kings Cross section of Sydney that was owned by the Hand Gang where American soldiers from Vietnam spent much of their R&R. When I was in Sydney I visited the place, which by then had changed hands and the suspects were all long gone.

BK

Hi Bill,

Not sure about the man third from left. When I enlarge the photo, it gets too blurry to read his name tag. I can't make out the patch on his shoulder either.

I think the man on the far right slightly resembles one of the guys in the Barry and Boys photo. I'm not saying it is him, but he looks familiar.

The Crimes of Patriots is a great book and I'm glad you posted it on the Michael J. Hand thread. I believe the establishment at Kings Cross was the Bourbon and Beefsteak run by Bernie Houghton. Many Laos and Vietnam soldiers as well as Air America personnel would end up at Sydney. Morales did have ties to some Air America folks. The guys on the far right and left look like Intel guys - maybe Air America? Hopefully someone out there recognizes them.

Zach

I find all this interesting. A reason is the probably lesser known apparent shift in foreign policies and some speculations about some, to me, unknowns that if known could perhaps help here. The French were there first, albeit largely funded and equipped by the US. After Dien Bien Phu that changed. Another change is referenced in a Time article about the visit of Chancellor Erhardts visit to LBJs Ranch in Dec '63 where LBJ 'orders' Erhardt to focus on Latin America so that the US could commit more to Indo China. French - German relations at this time were not exactly cordial I wonder what the French were up to around this time. It wouldn't surprise me if there are archives in those countries that are helpful.

Obviously also this photo was taken by someone. Who?

The trees in the background are somewhat reminiscent of Oz Eucalypts.

When Ted Shackley was placed in charge of the CIA “secret war” in Laos, he brought along David Morales to be Chief of Pakse Base, a black operations station focused on political paramilitary action, in 1967. In 1969, Morales moved to Vietnam where he worked close with the military under the cover of the Agency for International Development until 1971.

Thanks,

Zach

aroberts@heidelberg.edu

David_Morales8.jpg

Zach,

Top level drug smugglers????

--Tommy

Great photo. Thanks, Zach and James. Another exclusive picture that you can find pretty much nowhere else in the world, but here.

Considering that American-trained Cuban exiles were reportedly tasked for U.S. operations in places like the Congo and Indochina, it should be kept in mind that the dark-skinned man in camouflage may be of Cuban, Caribbean, Latin American, or African descent.

Also - apropos of nothing - I am pretty sure that the campesino-style hat worn by Dave Morales, aka El Indio, was picked up somewhere in Latin America.

-- Steve

When Ted Shackley was placed in charge of the CIA "secret war" in Laos, he brought along David Morales to be Chief of Pakse Base, a black operations station focused on political paramilitary action, in 1967. In 1969, Morales moved to Vietnam where he worked close with the military under the cover of the Agency for International Development until 1971.

Thanks,

Zach

aroberts@heidelberg.edu

David_Morales8.jpg

The oriental guy in the middle has a name tag on his shirt, which somebody should be able to enlarge and see.

Is he Vietnamese, or possibly the Philippines or Taiwan?

The guys on the end also look familiar.

The idea that these guys were moved around from Cuba to Vietnam should also consider that before many of them were in Cuba, they were in the Philippines with Lansdale - who brought in some of his guys to train the Cubans for the Bay of Pigs in Guatemala.

If you read the JQ's Crimes of Patriots, he mentions the name of a bar/nightclub in the Kings Cross section of Sydney that was owned by the Hand Gang where American soldiers from Vietnam spent much of their R&R. When I was in Sydney I visited the place, which by then had changed hands and the suspects were all long gone.

BK

Left hand side S. G. U. BN, probably for Special Guerilla Unit Battalion.

Name on the right side: Not as clear. Could be K??UM THAY.

General look and attire incl pen in pocket and watch may indicate function/rank.

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

General look and attire incl pen in pocket and watch may indicate function/rank.

edit typo

I'd say he was Hmong and probably served under Vang Pao in the SGU.

http://hmongtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=190&ArticleID=3072

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/foreignmilitary/cambodian_thailand_laotian_items_for_sale.htm

Like I said, four high-level heroin smugglers.

--Tommy

edit typo

I'd say he was Hmong and probably served under Vang Pao in the SGU.

http://hmongtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=190&ArticleID=3072

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/foreignmilitary/cambodian_thailand_laotian_items_for_sale.htm

Like I said, four high-level heroin smugglers.

--Tommy

5 counting the photographer, Thomas Clines, Ted Shackley's #2.