The Education Forum

Circus Skills

Kevin Rowe

Hi Folks,

I've thoroughly enjoyed teaching circus skills to special needs pupils the past 4 years. I thought I'd join this forum to talk a little about it.

I've collected all sorts of novelty bikes and carts to add an extra dimension from the usual juggling etc.

I've managed to make my workshops accessible and enjoyable to EBD, MLD, SLD, Autistic, Deaf and even Blind pupils. The blind pupils loved whizzing about in the carts and some even took part in the stiltwalking. They could feel they were as tall as their teachers.

I must have spent twenty to thirty thousand pounds on all the stuff I've bought. I've found many excellent items in special needs catalogues. The trouble with items in these catalogues is that you can't 'try before you buy'. Some things I've just discarded.

I do enjoy the opportunity to spend a whole week in a school. Several sessions with each class really helps them develop. Crown school in Burton upon Trent was one example this summer. I spent a week in their school for SLD pupils two years previously also. On that occasion I went on to employ two of their pupils at a street festival in Uttoxeter as Stiltwalkers. That was a lovely day. Just remembered I also employed 'Gordon' as balloon modeller that day. He has aspergers syndrome- but at 12 was as good as many an adult balloon modeller.

All this is a lot more fun that computer programming!

Circus Kevin