The Education Forum

Cromwells' Sickert

John Dolva

I recently started reading Patricia Cromwells' book (a later edition with added material) and searched for posts on it and there are a number that express opinions but do not to any significant extent address her study in any objective depth.

I'm currently on the section that deals with paper analysis which seems quite interesting.

edittypo

Edited by John Dolva

Cornwell...sorry, I don't know where Cromwell came from.

I'm nearing the end now. I can understand some of the subjective objections to the book. I've always found Patricia's books very interesting and very disappointing from different times in her career. All that aside, the factual stuff she brings to the table I don't think should be brushed aside.

• 3 weeks later...

John,

I didn't think much of Cromwell's book. She developed a theory and really didn't provide any solid evidence for it (Sickert becoming bent on killing women because of an earlier botched operation on his genitals). Plus, she never even mentioned Stephen Knight, who was the first author to shine light on Sickert, let alone give him any credit.

I don't know what to say Don. Have you read the whole book?

After that one I stumbled on a parallel story which , in the beginning provides an atmosphere of these impoverished areas that Sickert and The Ripper prowled. : The story of the creation of The Great Oxford Dictionary, which has some interesting parallel events. Could DR Minor (US Army Surgeon ret), locked up in Broadmoor for life over the sensational shooting of an innocent, haave somehow have been an 'inspiration'?. He carried a long knife at his back when collared. His later mentor, the second editor of the huge production 'The Dicyionary', had solid artistic connections as well as them both being extremely well educated. Minor never received his full due but he did live a life of much leisure at the Queens Pleasure. An intriguing cast of characters that if nothing else helps to fix the atmosphere under which the Ripper did his 'work'.