• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INTRODUCTION TO ST. JOHN HUNT'S BOOK

By Douglas Caddy

Original Attorney for the Watergate Seven

Before Watergate

When I first met Howard Hunt in 1970, my immediate impression was of a man who was highly intelligent, possessed perfect manners and was extremely articulate in his conversation.

The occasion of our first meeting was Howard’s coming on board as an employee at the Robert Mullen & Company upon his “retiring” from the CIA. The Mullen Company was a public relations firm with its headquarters in Washington, D.C. and with offices scattered around the globe. General Foods Corporation was a Mullen Company account. I had gone to work for General Foods in White Plains, New York, not long after being graduated in 1966 from the New York University Law School. In 1969 General Foods assigned me to work out of the Mullen Company in conjunction with my job representing General Foods interests in the nation’s capital.

Howard and I quickly became friends once we learned that we had another friend in common: William F. Buckley, Jr., publisher of National Review magazine. I had worked closely with Buckley in the founding of the modern conservative movement in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s. I had served as the first National Director of Young Americans for Freedom, a nationwide youth organization, which had been founded in September 1960 at a gathering of young conservative activists at the Buckley family compound in Sharon, Connecticut.

From Howard I learned something that I did not know: that Buckley at one time had been a CIA agent and had worked under Howard’s supervision in Mexico City for a year after being graduated from Yale University where he had been elected to Skull & Bones.

As our friendship burgeoned neither Howard nor I had any prescient inkling that two years later would he become a central figure in a scandal that would change the course of history and of my life and career.

A few months our initial meeting, Robert Mullen called us into his office and surprised us by saying that he desired to retire and wanted to sell the Mullen Company. He then asked if we would be interested in purchasing it. He proposed that the sale would be financed over the ensuing years by payments to him of profits from the company’s public relations accounts, which included General Foods, the Mormon Church, a lucrative federal government contract with the Department of Health and Human Services and several others.

Both Howard and I were stunned by Mullen’s proposal and told him that we needed time to consider it. Mullen agreed and during the next two months we had additional meetings with him about the purchase. However, at these subsequent meetings Mullen seemed to forget key details that we had discussed previously about the purchase, causing Howard several times to query me whether I thought Mullen was suffering from the onset of dementia.

Then one day Mullen announced out of the blue that he had decided to sell his company to Robert Bennett, a Mormon who was the son of the senior U.S. Senator from Utah. What I came to learn years later was that Mullen, Bennett and Hunt knew something that had been kept from me, namely that the Mullen Company had been incorporated by the CIA in 1959 and served as a front for the intelligence agency. The Mullen Company offices around the world were in fact operations of the CIA and General Foods was aware of this and a participant in the overall intelligence scheme. Although Hunt was a protégé of CIA Director Richard Helms and had been placed by Helms inside the Mullen Company, a decision had been made by the CIA that one of its other key operatives, Robert Bennett, would purchase the Mullen Company and become its president.

After meeting Bennett and finding him to be an extremely strange man who exuded duplicity I chose to leave General Foods and went to work as an attorney with the Washington law firm of Gall, Lane, Powell and Kilcullen. Howard stayed with the Mullen Company as its vice president.

Soon after I began work at the law firm, Howard contacted me and asked that I perform legal work for him. I readily agreed and did so along with one of the partners of the law firm, Robert Scott, who found Howard to be an intriguing client.

If from this Introduction you find that my and Howard’s lives and careers were becoming intertwined, such a finding would be accurate.

In mid-1971 Howard informed me that he was under consideration to work in the White House while still an employee of the Mullen Company. His sponsor for the position was Charles Colson, one of President Nixon’s closest aides and a fellow alumnus with Howard of Brown University. Howard asked if I would write a letter of recommendation for his appointment, which I promptly did.

Once Howard began working for the White House, we saw each other intermittently. However, on several occasions he invited me to join him and his colleague, Gordon Liddy, for lunch at the Federal City Club. Both men were circumspect in their discussion with my being present but from what I gathered they were involved in hush-hush, sensitive work in behalf of the White House.

In February 1972, John Killcullen, one of the partners of the law firm that employed me, informed me that I was being assigned to do volunteer work for the Lawyers Committee for the Re-Election of the President. I soon met with John Dean, Counsel to the President, in his White House office and he in turn, after explaining the campaign legal work I would be doing, assigned me to work with one of his assistants, another lawyer.

Howard was delighted to learn of my newly assigned task and so was Gordon Liddy, who at one point asked me to do legal research for him in his position as legal counsel to the Finance Committee for the Re-Election of the President. The head of the Finance Committee was Maurice Stans, a close friend of Nixon.

In April 1972 Howard asked me to join him and the General Counsel for the CIA, Lawrence Huston, at a restaurant in Maryland, not far from the CIA headquarters on the other side of the Potomac River. At the meeting the two men sounded me out as to whether I would be interested in going to work for the CIA. If I were agreeable, my assignment would be to move to Nicaragua and there build and manage a luxurious seaside hotel that would lure the Sandinista leaders. This would allow the CIA to learn more about them. I told Howard and Huston I would think about it but for certain reasons decided immediately I would not accept their job offer.

Two months later Watergate broke with the arrests of the five burglars inside the offices of the Democratic National Committee.

During Watergate

“From there I drove to the White House Annex – the Old Executive Office Building, in bygone years the War Department and later the Department of State.

“Carrying three heavy attaché cases, I entered the Pennsylvania Avenue door, showed my blue-and-white White House pass to the uniformed guards, and took the elevator to the third floor. I unlocked the door of 338 and went in. I opened my two-drawer safe, took out my operational handbook, found a telephone number and dialed it.

“The time was 3:13 in the morning of June 17, 1972, and five of my companions had been arrested and taken to the maximum-security block of the District of Columbia jail. I had recruited four of them and it was my responsibility to get them out. That was the sole focus of my thoughts as I began talking on the telephone.

“But with those five arrests the Watergate affair had begun….

“After several rings the call was answered and I heard the sleepy voice of Douglas Caddy.

“‘Yes?’

“’Doug? This is Howard. I hate to wake you up, but I’ve got a tough situation and I need to talk to you. Can I come over?’

“’Sure. I’ll tell the desk clerk you’re expected.’

“’I’ll be there in about 20 minutes,’ I told him, and hung up.

“From the safe I took a small money box and removed the $10,000 Liddy had given me for emergency use. I put $1,500 in my wallet and the remaining $8,500 in my coat pocket. The black attaché case containing McCord’s electronic equipment I placed in a safe drawer that held my operational notebook. Then I closed and locked the safe, turning the dial several times. The other two cases I left beside the safe, turned out the light and left my office, locking the door.”

-- E. Howard Hunt, Undercover: Memoirs of an American Secret Agent (Berkley, 1974).

About half an hour after he telephoned me, Hunt arrived at my Washington apartment located in the Georgetown House at 2121 P St., N.W., about a five-minute drive from the both the Watergate and the White House. He quickly informed me of what had occurred.

Hunt then telephoned Liddy from my apartment and they both requested that I represent them as their attorney in the case as well as the five arrested individuals – McCord and the four Cuban-Americans.

On June 28 – 11 days later – I was served with a subpoena to appear “Forthwith” before the grand jury. The subpoena was served on me by Assistant U.S. Attorney Donald Campbell while I was in the federal court house, who grabbed me by my arm and pulled me into the grand jury room.

The prosecutors asked me hundred of questions over the next two weeks and subpoenaed my personal bank records. Ultimately I refused to answer 38 questions that I and the five attorneys representing me believed were protected by the attorney client privilege. For example, one question was: “At what time did you receive a telephone call in the early morning hours of June 17, 1972?” By answering this question, I could ultimately be forced to identify Hunt and thus incriminate him.

Principal Assistant U.S. Attorney Earl Silbert argued in court that my refusal to answer the grand jury questions on the grounds of the attorney-client privilege was “specious, dilatory and….an obstruction of justice.”

Judge John Sirica, who had assigned himself to try Watergate case, saw a golden opportunity to inflate his towering ego and exercise his unlimited ambition at the expense of justice and the country. At a hearing on July 12, 1972 – less than a month after the case broke – Sirica rejected outright my attorneys’ argument that the attorney-client privilege was being egregiously violated by the 38 questions. Declared Sirica to a courtroom packed with lawyers, the press and spectators:

“You see, to put the matter perfectly bluntly, if the government is trying to get enough evidence to indict Mr. Caddy as one of the principals in this case even though he might not have been present at the time of the alleged entry in this place, I don’t know what the evidence is except what has been disclosed here, if the government is trying to get an indictment against Mr. Caddy and he feels that way and you feel it and the rest of you attorneys feel it, all he has to say is ‘I refuse to answer on the grounds what I say would tend to incriminate me.’ That ends it. I can’t compel him to say he know Mr. Hunt under the circumstances. He doesn’t do that, understand? He takes the other road. He says there is a confidential communication. Who is he to be the sole judge or not it is confidential or not? That is what I am here for.”

The next day, after I refused to answer the 38 questions before the grand jury on the grounds that doing so would violate the attorney-client privilege, Sirica convened a court hearing to hold me in contempt.

Robert Scott, one of my attorneys who later was named a District of Columbia judge, asked Sirica to honor professional courtesy by not ordering me jailed while an appeal was filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, stating:

“If Your Honor please, there is nothing malicious in this refusal. It is done in good faith, good conscience, it is done because we believe it is the proper course. I would respectfully suggest this is very harsh treatment – not the finding of contempt, I don’t say that. I disagree that he should be found in contempt, but I think it is very harsh treatment that your honor would commit him when it is perfectly clear that these positions are being put forth in the utmost good faith and utmost of sincerity. This is a young man, I just think it would be as harsh as it could be to commit him at this time.”

Of course, this plea fell upon the deaf ears of a judicial bully and thug who took delight in destroying the careers and lives and the innocent as well as the guilty. Sirica ordered the U.S. Marshal to take me into custody to be jailed.

On July 18, 1972 the U.S. Court of Appeals affirmed Sirica’s contempt citation of me. It did so in by employing gratuitously insulting language, declaring that “Even if such a relationship does exist, certain communications, such as in furtherance of a crime, are not within the [attorney-client] privilege.”

The day after the decision of the Court of Appeals, I appeared again before the grand jury and pursuant to the threat posed by the Court’s decision answered all the questions posed to me by the prosecutors.

The actions of Sirica and the Court of Appeals did not go unnoticed by the White House. In an Oval Office tape of July 19, 1972, an incredulous President Nixon asked John Ehrlichman, “Do you mean the circuit court ordered an attorney to testify?” to which Ehrlichman responded, “It [unintelligible] to me, except that this damn circuit we’ve got here with [Judge David] Bazelon and so on, it surprises me every time they do something.”

Nixon then asked, “Why didn’t he appeal to the Supreme Court?”

What Nixon and Ehrlichman did not realize was that I and my attorneys firmly believed that we had created a strong legal record of the constitutional rights of the defendants and me as their attorney had been egregiously violated so that if Hunt, Liddy and the five arrested defendants were found guilty, their convictions could be overturned as a result of the abusive actions of the prosecutors, Judge Sirica and the Court of Appeals.

However, Sirica’s vitriolic courtroom antics, aided and abetted by a biased Court of Appeals, had the effect to encouraging the defendants to embark on a “hush money” cover-up after they realized early on that the courts were not going to give them a fair trial. Hunt later wrote that “If Sirica was treating Caddy – an Officer of the Court – so summarily, and Caddy was completely uninvolved in Watergate – then those of us who were involved could expect neither fairness nor understanding from him. As events unfolded, this conclusion became tragically accurate.” Bear in mind all the above described courtroom events occurred in the first 33 days of the case. The dye has been cast by the prosecutors and the judges to deny the seven defendants a fair trial.

Shortly after indictments were handed down against all seven defendants in September 1972, the prosecutors informed me that I would be a government witness at their trial and that I should review my grand jury transcripts in their office in preparation of so testifying.

William Bittman, a former Justice Department prosecutor who succeeded me in representing Hunt, advised me that because the prosecutors had gone too far in their persecution of me, they had jeopardized their case and were worried about that fact. No evidence had been uncovered over the months since the case broke that I had engaged in any criminal activity. One of the prosecutors even disclosed that an examination of my personal bank records, obtained by subpoena, revealed that I was “scrupulously honest.” Bittman then instructed me that when I reviewed my grand jury transcripts I should diligently determine if any alternations had been made in them. His fear was that the prosecutors had rewritten my testimony so as to weaken the attorney-client privilege. He said that if I found any of my transcripts had been altered, he planned to call Silbert to the witness stand at the trial to question him about the alteration. He declared, “Hunt deserves a fair trial and I am going to see that he gets one.”

When I did review the grand jury transcripts, I determined that a key alteration had been made by the prosecutors. This alteration dealt with my attempt to tell the grand jury on July 19, 1972, that I had been approached in early July to act as conduit for “hush money” to be distributed to the defendants.

The overture was made by Anthony Ulasewicz, a former New York City police detective, acting upon the instructions of Herbert Kalmbach, President Nixon’s personal attorney. Here is the testimony of Kalmbach subsequently before the Senate Watergate Committee:

“Mr. Dash: Now, what was the first instruction you received to give the money?

“Mr. Kalmbach: Again, as I have tried to reconstruct this, Mr. Dash, the first instruction that I received, which I passed to Mr. Ulasewicz was to have Mr. Ulasewicz give $25,000 to Mr. Caddy. I don’t know too much of Mr. Caddy, I understand that he is an attorney here in Washington. And, as I recall it, this was probably from approximately July 1 through July 6 or 7. There were a number of calls. I would either talk to Mr. Dean or Mr. LaRue. I would then call Mr. Ulasewicz who, in turn, would call Mr. Caddy. He would have some response from Mr. Caddy, and I would call back up either Mr. Dean or Mr. LaRue.

“Mr. Dash: What was the response from Mr. Caddy?

“Mr. Kalmbach: Well, the sum and gist of it was that Mr. Caddy refused to accept the funds.

“Mr. Dash: In that manner?

“Mr. Kalmbach: That is correct. That was the end-all. There were several phone calls, but the final wrap-up won it was that he refused the funds.”

My grand jury testimony was not the only one altered by the prosecutors. Alfred Baldwin, a key figure in the case, later charged that his grand jury testimony also had been altered by the prosecutors.

At the first Watergate trial, Hunt and the four Cuban-Americans pleaded guilty at

its beginning. This came about because about a month previously Dorothy Hunt had died in a mysterious plane crash in Chicago. For Hunt a trial following on the heels of his wife’s tragic death was more than he could bear. The four Cuban-Americans, loyal to a fault to Hunt, followed his lead. Liddy and McCord stood trial and were found guilty.

Liddy appealed his conviction. The same Court of Appeals that had forced me to testify before the grand jury in its gratuitously insulting decision opined as to the defendant Liddy being denied Sixth Amendment counsel because of what the courts had done to me as his attorney: “The evidence against appellant…was so overwhelming that even if there were constitutional error in the comment of the prosecutor and the instruction of the judge, there is no reasonable possibility it contributed to the conviction.”

Of course, neither Judge Sirica, who Time Magazine later named Man Of The Year, nor the U.S. Court of Appeals ever acknowledged that their abusive actions and decisions in the first month of the case relating to me and the attorney-client privilege were a principal cause of the cover-up that ensued.

Sirica later wrote a book about Watergate, fatuously titled To Set the Record Straight, for which he pocketed one million dollars, which would be almost four million today’s dollars. James Jackson Kilpatrick, a nationally syndicated columnist, wrote at the time: “It would be pleasant if someone would set the record straight about this tin pot tyrant. Sirica is a vainglorious pooh-bah, an ill-tempered and autocratic as any judge since Same Chase of Maryland 180 years ago. When the Watergate criminal trials were assigned to him in the fall of 1972, he set out to enjoin the whole countryside with an encompassing gag order that perfected reflected his lust for power. The order was patently absurd – it embraced even ‘potential witnesses’ and ‘alleged victims’ and had to be watered down.”

Despite the efforts of the prosecutors, Sirica and the Court of Appeals to set me up, I was never indicted, named as an unindicted co-conspirator, disciplined by the Bar or even contacted by the Senate Watergate Committee.

Watergate, as Senator Sam Ervin, Chairman of the Senate Watergate Committee said at the time, was the most publicized event in American political history. It certainly was the country’s biggest criminal case of the 20th century.

Post Watergate

I believe the media has painted an erroneous portrait of who Howard actually was. For a fuller picture of the man I suggest the book Watergate: The Hidden History by Lamar Waldron published in 2012 that contains numerous references to Howard and his career. Waldron writes, “Some writers depict Hunt as a minor figure, bumbling his way from one small White House operation to the next. However, a review of all the evidence shows that Hunt was consistently working on important tasks for the White House, on matters that interested the President. Hunt also kept expanding (or wanting to expand) his operations, which often overlapped with other projects that he sought out or pushed. The more Nixon operations Hunt became involved in, the highest his status in the White House and the better for his future. It was also good for his mentor, Richard Helms, since it gave him access to the White House (and FBI) information and operations. The President’s White House staff was expanding its illegal operations on his behalf

so rapidly that Hunt had no problem finding Nixon aides who wanted Hunt’s services, to help them achieve the illicit goals the President wanted. That symbiotic relationship would soon grow so rapidly that it would start to spiral out of control, with disastrous results for all concerned.”

As I look back I have come to the conclusion that the CIA had a goal of placing Howard in the White House in 1971 and that he thought of himself more as a CIA agent than as a trusted member of the White House staff. Thus, after the Watergate “hush” money scheme was exposed, Howard was quoted in People Magazine of May 20, 1974, that “I had always assumed, working for the CIA for some many years, that anything the White House wanted done was the law of the land. I viewed this like any other mission. It just happened to take place inside this country.”

Howard’s long-time friend and former CIA colleague William F. Buckley, Jr. accurately assessed him as follows: “Hunt had lived outside the law in the service of his country, subsequently of President Nixon…Hunt, the dramatist, didn’t understand the political realities at the highest level transcend the working realities of spy life.”

While Howard revealed a lack of political awareness during Watergate, on another important political topic he was right on target. As the New York Post reported on January 14, 2007, he originally wrote in his memoir, “American Spy: My Secret History in the CIA, Watergate and Beyond” published in 2007 that “Having Kennedy liquidated, thus elevating himself to the presidency without having to work for it himself, could have been a very tempting and logical move on [Lyndon] Johnson’s part.

“LBJ had the money and the connections to manipulate the scenario in Dallas and is on record as having convinced JFK to make the appearance in the first place. He further tried unsuccessfully to engineer the passengers in each vehicle, trying to get his good buddy, Governor [John] Connally, to ride with him instead of JFK’s car - where…he would have been out of danger”

Howard pinpointed CIA agent William Harvey as playing a key role in the JFK assassination: “He definitely had dreams of becoming [CIA director] and LBJ could do that for him if he were president. [LBJ] would have used Harvey because he was available and corrupt.”

Just prior the memoir’s publication, passages that dealt with advance knowledge possessed Howard of JFK’s assassination were removed at the insistence of Howard’s then lawyer. However, Howard, ever the consummate intelligence officer, clandestinely arranged that his views on Kennedy’s murder would ultimately be publicly made known by giving his son, St. John, an audio tape to be released after his death in which he described the planning of the assassination. This is why St. John Hunt’s book is an important contribution to history.

Thanks, Doug, for posting this introduction. Does St. John's book provide the passages you say were removed from his father's book? I suspect they'd prove most interesting.

FWIW I know you were there, and I wasn't, but I think your dislike of Sirica has biased your opinion on a few key points. I just don't buy that the hush money was brought up because the "burglars" were scared they weren't gonna get a fair trial. It's clear to me it was brought up because everyone involved KNEW if they copped a plea and told the truth about what happened in order to receive a lesser sentence--the normal course of justice--Richard Nixon would not be re-elected. Most everyone involved--even the prosecutors--wanted to avoid this. The hush money, in such case, was necessitated by practicality. These men agreed to take the fall for Nixon--and Hunt was making sure they were rewarded for their loyalty.

I also think you fail to see that the prosecutors were in on it. McCord's book is particularly telling on this point. Nixon was meeting with Kleindienst and guiding the prosecution. The prosecutors were not pushing as hard as they should have been. It seems likely they knew something was up, but just didn't give a darn, until McCord forced their hands by writing his letter to Sirica.

I mean, after all this time, do you really think the worst thing about Watergate was Sirica's abuse of authority, and that everything would have been okie-dokie if that darn judge hadn't scared your one-time clients into blackmailing the President? Because I don't feel that way at all. I feel the worst thing was that Nixon got elected in the first place, through subterfuge with the South Vietnamese and lying about a secret plan to end the war, and that he then decided it was his divine right to rule, and rule as an all-powerful God. And the second worst thing was that so many on the conservative side of the cultural divide enabled him, and convinced themselves that the real enemy of liberty etc was Ted Kennedy, or George McGovern.

If the only reason Nixon's house of cards collapsed was because Judge Sirica acted as a bully, well, bravo Judge Sirica...

Edited by Pat Speer

Watergate was a coup d' etat like Dallas, implemented by nearly the same forces, architects of the cold war. Watergate was just a longer, a painful version of a coup d' etat.

Had Nixon won the election in 1960 it likely would have been the other way around. Nixon killed in the streets and Kennedy character-assassinated. (His weak spot was his sex life...)

KK

Edited by Karl Kinaski

Guest Tom Scully

Either this thread shows Mockingbird is still alive and well, or Mr. Caddy was stunningly clueless then, but not now. Who did you think you

were associating with, Douglas? How short do you expect our memories are?

It was illegal for the CIA to conduct covert operations inside the U.S. You were surrounded by associates from Buckley to Franke to Hunt who made their living carrying out the CIA's domestic playbook, from 1960 to 1972, and you complain that Sirica, a republican elevated by Eisenhower was wrong about who you were and what you knew. Your history and associations from 1960 indicated you were not at arms length, aside from the fact your "clients" were not indicted for burglarizing a donut shop. You and they appeared to any reasonable person to be affiliated political enemies of the target of the burglary and it was no secret by the late 1960's that the CIA had backed Franke, Buckley, and yourself in your student organizing and was also associated in the past with Hunt, McCord, and others linked to the burglary of the DNC office in the Watergate.

1. UNIT FORMED TO PRESERVE LOYALTY OATH

Pay-Per-View -
    The Sun - Jan 28, 1960
    Douglas Caddy, a senior at Georgetown University, is chair. . man of the new group. David ; Franke, a junior at George Washington University, is execu. . live ...

2. POLITICANS EYE RIGHTIST POWER; Effect on This Year's State...

$3.95 -
    New York Times - Mar 12, 1962
    David Franke, chairman of its Greater New York Council, says members ... were led by Douglas Caddy, who had a job with Mr. Liebman, and Mr. Franke, ...

http://www.acorn.net...rmblr94.fp.html

and...

WASHINGTON. — Watergate conspirator E. Howard Hunt, a former ...

jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg.../Hunt%20Buckley%2024.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

a former CIA agent who helped plan the 1961 Bay of. _ Pigs invasion of ... David Franke, senior editor of Arlington House, the pub- lishers, said contracts for the ....

Judging by what you shared in your second post on this thread, it seems you did not fully weigh then and still do not now, that there were and still are so few of your old circle that despite the active association with and support of the CIA, (financing, organizing, and propaganda expertise) done as secretly as possible, the ideology of the Buckley and the Stanton Evans "brand" had to be inserted into American politics from the top down. The CIA playbook for the U.S. tracks closely to what is attempted outside the country, an all out effort to overcome the lack of grass roots support by faking it.

Thus, there is no place to hide. You were a member of a near empty church, a congregation in which deniability was a challenge to convincingly pull off.:

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

DOLE SAYS QUAYLE IS DAMAGING BUSH

By MAUREEN DOWD, Special to the New York Times

Published: August 22, 1988

.....In interviews with newspapers this weekend, James Quayle added more grist to the controversy over how Mr. Quayle conducted himself in 1969 and 1970, when he was making the decisions that would determine his career.

Mr. Quayle, the publisher of The Huntington Herald Press and son-in-law of the former head of the family publishing empire, Eugene C. Pulliam, reiterated today in an interview from his Huntington home that he had stepped in when his son, who was then 22 and attending night classes in law, was looking for a job.

He had told his son that he had to get a job, because he had other children in college with expenses. ''I said, 'Danny, I can't do everything for you the way I did at DePauw,'' he recalled. ''If you're going to Indianapolis, you're going to have to take care of yourself.' ''

Although his son had started out trying ''to get an interview with the city,'' James Quayle said that he pulled some strings to help his son get a more prestigious job with the state. The senior Mr. Quayle called M. Stanton Evans, the editor of The Indianapolis News, a paper in the Pulliam chain, and asked him if he could arrange an interview for Dan Quayle with state officials.

Mr. Evans did arrange an interview with Theodore L. Sendack, who was then the Indiana Attorney General, and Dan Quayle got the job. ''He was a clerk for Sendack, a gofer,'' his father said.

James Quayle, who said that the controversy over the National Guard was ''so untrue and so unfair,'' said that his son gained admission to law school on his own inititative......

.....Evans was present at Great Elm, the family home of William F. Buckley in Sharon, Connecticut, at the founding of Young Americans for Freedom,[19] where on September 11, 1960, he drafted YAF's charter, the Sharon Statement.[20] Some conservatives still revere this document as a concise statement of their principles.[21]

The group responsible for attempting to give the appearance of wide grass roots support in the U.S. for CIA stepfordism did do one thing impressively well, they employed and published each other.

Edited by Tom Scully

Tom:

You are clearly laboring under a number of misimpressions although I do not blame you for doing so because many of the events you describe occurred over 58 years ago when I was under 20 years of age. Indeed to understand what actually occurred, I must start at the beginning when I was in high school in New Orleans from 1954 to being graduated in June 1956. I then enrolled in the Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University in September 1956.

Right now I am recovering from a severe cold that apparently I caught when I accompanied a close friend, who had just started to feel badly, to a Thanksgiving dinner and afterwards to see the movie “Lincoln,” which is magnificent and not to be missed.

I’ll be able to post a detailed reply to your comments in about a week. I appreciate this opportunity to shed some light on the issues you raise.

Doug

Guest Robert Morrow

The very fact that Doug Caddy was such close friends with E. Howard Hunt and the fact that Doug Caddy had so many right wing associations from the 1960's to the early 1970's, are good examples of why Caddy is such an invaluable contributor to this forum. Not to mention his representation of Billie Sol Estes in the 1980's and the revelations that LBJ and Estes were committing murders in the early 1960's to cover up LBJ's criminality.

The CIA tried to have Robert Merritt murder Doug Caddy. You can read about this in "Watergate Exposed: How the President of the United States and the Watergate Burglars Were Set Up As Told to Douglas Caddy, Original Attorney for the Watergate Seven"

http://www.amazon.co...=robert merritt

Edited by Robert Morrow

A short essay by Larry Hancock from "Dealey Plaza Echo" dissecting the Hunt "confession" and offering up numerous reasons for disbelieving it. I suspect that Hunt's final assassination story was a dying gift to his son - a way to make a buck or two. Hunt was, by most accounts, a crappy father and a poor husband, as well as being a venal tool of the worst within the US intelligence community. Hunt attempting to atone for neglecting his son. Or, perhaps, simply laughing from beyond the grave at one final disinformation ploy.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?absPageId=1561908

I am also reading St. John's new book, and all the discussions about EHH being paid to tell the truth are unsettling. One would like to think that the crime was committed by people with a mistaken zeal, not that everything of value about it, such as an actual confession, can be bought. At this point, I don't know what to think. It has been my thinking all along that EHH was involved and his conflicting statements a result of his squirreling around to try to avoid taking blame; but now I am questioning my initial hypothesis. One way or another, however, Saint demonstrates very clearly that his father was a complicated and burdened man -- who knows if he ever really opened up to anybody?

Guest Robert Morrow

I am reading Saint John's book on his father E. Howard Hunt right now. I can easily believe it and I highly recommend this book.

Was Cord Meyer involved in the JFK assassination? Very possible. Meyer was very close to Allen Dulles who protected Meyer during the red hunting of the early 1950's. This was red hunting by Joseph McCarthy who was very close to the Kennedys and who RFK was on the staff of (and engaging in a power struggle with Roy Cohn).

E. Howard Hunt is yet another person pointing his finger square at both Lyndon Johnson and the CIA.

I do think that E. Howard Hunt himself was highly involved in the JFK assassination although he would never directly admit it to his son.

This is very similar to Lyndon Johnson telling Madeleine Brown, who I consider to be the greatest find in all of JFK assassination research, that Texas oil executives and the CIA were involved in the JFK assassination. LBJ also was at the epicenter of it, but would not go so far as to tell Madeleine Brown the full story.

Thanks, Doug, for posting this introduction. Does St. John's book provide the passages you say were removed from his father's book? I suspect they'd prove most interesting.

FWIW I know you were there, and I wasn't, but I think your dislike of Sirica has biased your opinion on a few key points. I just don't buy that the hush money was brought up because the "burglars" were scared they weren't gonna get a fair trial. It's clear to me it was brought up because everyone involved KNEW if they copped a plea and told the truth about what happened in order to receive a lesser sentence--the normal course of justice--Richard Nixon would not be re-elected. Most everyone involved--even the prosecutors--wanted to avoid this. The hush money, in such case, was necessitated by practicality. These men agreed to take the fall for Nixon--and Hunt was making sure they were rewarded for their loyalty.

I also think you fail to see that the prosecutors were in on it. McCord's book is particularly telling on this point. Nixon was meeting with Kleindienst and guiding the prosecution. The prosecutors were not pushing as hard as they should have been. It seems likely they knew something was up, but just didn't give a darn, until McCord forced their hands by writing his letter to Sirica.

I mean, after all this time, do you really think the worst thing about Watergate was Sirica's abuse of authority, and that everything would have been okie-dokie if that darn judge hadn't scared your one-time clients into blackmailing the President? Because I don't feel that way at all. I feel the worst thing was that Nixon got elected in the first place, through subterfuge with the South Vietnamese and lying about a secret plan to end the war, and that he then decided it was his divine right to rule, and rule as an all-powerful God. And the second worst thing was that so many on the conservative side of the cultural divide enabled him, and convinced themselves that the real enemy of liberty etc was Ted Kennedy, or George McGovern.

If the only reason Nixon's house of cards collapsed was because Judge Sirica acted as a bully, well, bravo Judge Sirica...

St. John Hunt in his book states that Bill Snyder, who was Hunt's attorney, having performed that difficult task from 1973 until Hunt's death in 2007, was vehemently opposed to Hunt's memors, published in the year of his death, discussing in any detail what Hunt knew about the JFK assassination. Only Snyder knows as this time what was contained in the passages removed from the book prior to its publication.

Sirica's long-time mentor was Edward Bennett Williams, legal counsel to the Washington Post and the Democratic National Committee. Sirica used his position as judge to aid and abet the prosecution. He was not a fair and impartial judge. Even Bob Woodward has commented that Sirica acted to a large degree as a prosecutor in the case. What Sirica did to me in the early days of the case clearly showed that from the beginning he was not going to administer justice in a fair way. Recently Watergate documents kept under seal for all these years were released. They reveal Sirica's bias and his hand in shaping the case's outcome as he so desired. I expect as more documents are released in the future there will be additional evidence of Sirica's tampering.

http://educationforu...showtopic=19750

I fully recognize that the original prosecutors also had their agenda in making certain the case was limited as to the five arrested burglars and Hunt and Liddy. This was obvious not only from their altering my federal grand jury transcript and that of Alfred Baldwin but from their posture to the press.

Decades ago in a treatise I wrote on Watergate I cited Robert Jackson's report in the Los Angeles Times of January 29, 1973:

"A clubby atmosphere has prevailed in federal court during the three weeks it has taken the government to present their case in the Watergate bugging trial.

The questioning of Republican officials and others has been more polite than penetrating. Entire areas have been left unprobed.

In corridor discussions, prosecutor Earl Silbert has been asked repeatedly by newsmen why he has not posed additional questions to witnesses or called higher Republican officials to the stand.

Silbert’s contention is that the government is submitting only evidence that is necessary to prove charges in its indictment of the original seven defendants last September.

There is no evidence of a wider conspiracy, he has told reporters. Additional testimony could be immaterial and irrelevant, he has said.

Not only have the prosecution’s questions been limited but the defense attorneys at times have even waived their opportunity to cross-examine."

[End of quote from Jackson's article]

To say that judge Sirica should be given a bravo for what he did in collapsing Nixon's "house of cards" is akin saying that the Warren Commission, headed by another judge, should also be given a bravo for the how it conducted its biased investigation as to what happened in the JFK assassination.

Perhaps in the really important events in our nation's history, whether the be Pearl Harbor, the JFK assassination, Watergate or 9/11, we should learn to expect that the personal motivations of the really key persons involved in investigating what occurred will shape the outcome as officially announced.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

I am also reading St. John's new book, and all the discussions about EHH being paid to tell the truth are unsettling. One would like to think that the crime was committed by people with a mistaken zeal, not that everything of value about it, such as an actual confession, can be bought. At this point, I don't know what to think. It has been my thinking all along that EHH was involved and his conflicting statements a result of his squirreling around to try to avoid taking blame; but now I am questioning my initial hypothesis. One way or another, however, Saint demonstrates very clearly that his father was a complicated and burdened man -- who knows if he ever really opened up to anybody?

I believe that Pamela’s perceptions about Howard Hunt are right on target.

As St. John’s book reveals, Howard’s wife, Dorothy, strongly opposed his getting involved in what came to be known as Watergate. St. John reports that there were numerous meetings at the family residence, Witches Island, between Howard and various persons involved in the venture. St. John reports Dorothy even threatened to divorce Hunt over what she saw occurring. One should not forget that Dorothy was a skilled CIA intelligence agent herself and met and married Howard when both were employed by the OSS.

St. John states in his book at in his later years Hunt lamented that he should have listened to Dorothy’s urgings, that she was right.

Dorothy’s death remains a mystery as to the events surrounding it. From St. John’s book I learned for the first time that Dorothy was carrying $2,000,000 in money orders, traveler checks, etc. in addition to the publicly reported $10,000 in cash at the time the plane on which she was a passenger crashed in Chicago.

St. John writes:

“One further piece of evidence regarding CIA involvement in Watergate: the supplier of the actual recording devices used by McCord was a wireman named Michael Stevens. His company was Stevens Research Laboratories (SRL), headquartered in Chicago…

“After the plane crash and the headlines about Dorothy Hunt’s death and the money, Stevens called the FBI and told them his life had been threatened and he believed that Mrs. Hunt had been murdered. He said that Mrs. Hunt was in fact on her way to pay money to maintain his silence…Stevens reported to investigators that the devices that he was working on for McCord were set to transmit over secret CIA frequencies and able to transmit to highly classified CIA, DIA and NSA networks. Keeping this secret was why Mrs. Hunt flew to Chicago.”

Guest Tom Scully
My question stands: What does Cord Meyer have to say about this?

He's still alive. He's written books. He ostensibly has a phone number and an email address. Did Erik Hedegaard publish this without getting a response from Cord Meyer?

The last I checked Cord Meyer was alive and well and living in DC area. Does anybody have more recent update on Cord Meyer?

Cord Meyer died of lymphoma on 13th March, 2001.

What is interesting is what he said to C. David Heymann a few weeks before he died:

C. David Heymann, The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club (2003)

Cord Meyer gave expression to his support of Angleton in, "Facing Reality," an autobiography subtitled, "From World Federalism to the CIA." In the same volume, he comments briefly on the murder of his wife: "I was satisfied by the conclusions of the police investigation that Mary had been the victim of a sexually motivated assault by a single individual and that she had been killed in her struggle to escape." Carol Delaney, a family friend and longtime personal assistant to Cord Meyer, observed that, "Mr. Meyer didn't for a minute think that Ray Crump had murdered his wife or that it had been

attempted rape. But, being an Agency man, he couldn't very well accuse the CIA of the crime, although the murder had all the markings of an in-house rubout."

Asked to comment on the case, by the current author (C. David Heymann), Cord Meyer held court at the beginning of February 2001 - six weeks before his death - "The same sons of bitches," he hissed, "that killed John F. Kennedy."

http://www.spartacus...k/JFKmeyerC.htm

As E. Howard Hunt says in his book, he got to know Cord Meyer when he was running Operation Mockingbird. He also claims that Mary Pinchot Meyer was killed by a professional hitman. He quotes from the research of Leo Damore. What Hunt does not say is that Damore committed suicide and his book on Meyer was never published. However, a friend of mine has a copy of the manuscript. In it Damore names an CIA operative as being the killer.

http://www.spartacus...k/USAdamore.htm

Now that is an interesting confession just before his death!! More so that Damore committed assisted suicide! John, can you name the name? One we know? While it is easy to imagine that Mary was used [perhaps unknowingly] to spy on JFK [meet him in bugged rooms or whatever....] and had to be done away with for what she knew [she too suspected a conspiracy and likely knew the players - or would figure it out], the fact that Cord might be so 'high' in the cabal is new and interesting if true. I'd agree that it is worth the effort to see if LBJ and CM had some relationship - possibly through some mutual friend. All the others on the 'list' are A-OK and as now well known. I also think that the fact that MPM and JFK used LSD is NOT to be ignored. It was being tested at that time as a truth serum by the CIA and they may have been hoping to get some truth they were fishing for....if nothing else, and it was just recreational, they ['they'] were likely afraid of what such a free-spirit would become if he were taking such liberating mind-expanding drugs.

_---------------------------

I agree with this comment about the possible effects of LSD. Especially when it is combined with

1) fundamental questions of "who's in charge here" after the Bay of Pigs, questions that would have been irrepressible in the psychology of both the

president and the bureacratic psychology of the National Security State.

2) the experience of being the closest the world has ever been to nuclear war in October 1962, and battling chthonic buraucrats like LeMay and

Lyman Lemnitzer and others who had exciteable and speedy speedboats from Miami, and liked to pick unauthorized fights.

Imagine taking LSD and Curtis Lemay. Geez, the FDA ought to have had a warning out... something akin to barbiturates and Budweiser. Thats enough to reverse the missile gap rhetoric of 1960 real fast! (No mahn, I mean the INNER missile gap of PERCEPTION unsure.gif )

We also need to remember that LSD did not yet have the Haight-Ashbury stigma of extreme cultural marginalization that it has for us today. This is more important than it might seem, because it might be a variable in whether Kennedy dismissed his tripping or "listened to its wisdom, mahn" I would certainly be interested in learning more of the details about whether JFK took LSD at a time when it was still culturally concievable to chase a white rabbit in the White House. Any good sources on this ?

(quote name='Peter Lemkin' post='98029' date='Mar 24 2007, 06:57 AM']Now that is an interesting confession just before his death!! More so that Damore committed assisted suicide! John, can you name the name? One we know?(/quote]

He intends to name the person in a book that will be published in the near future. I had not heard of his name before. Interestingly, he had close links to both the FBI and the CIA. It is not known whether he is still alive.

Can we now agree that at least in this instance, Leo Damore's "research" is discredited, and E. Howard Hunt's credibility also takes a (another) hit?

Peter Janney presented, endorsed, and further advanced Damore's "CIA assassin of Mary Meyer" in Janney's recent book, "Mary's Mosaic:"

Consider that Damore committed suicide in 1995, 17 years ago, and that Peter Janney relates in an interview last month, (audio file linked below) that he now knows that the William L. Mitchell who resided at 1500 Arlington Blvd., Arlington, VA, in 1964 - 1965, is living in Northern California, is confirmed by Janney's own sighting of him to be a man in his 70's years of age, was born in 1939, and changed his name, circa 1973, from William Mitchell to Bill Mitchell; Janney even speculates the name change was to avoid detection.

Vs.

Mary's Mosaic: The CIA Conspiracy to Murder John F. Kennedy, Mary ... - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=162087282X

Peter Janney - 2012 - Biography & Autobiography

"Mitchell, said Damore, had confessed to him a few hours earlier that morning:

The murder of Mary Meyer had been “a CIA operation” in which Mitchell had been the assassin.24

“Mitchell” confirmed that his name, “William L. Mitchell,” was an alias and that he now lived

under another alias in Virginia.

He said his position at the Pentagon in 1964 had been just “a light bulb job,” a

cover for covert intelligence work. He had done stints in the Air Force, the Army,

and the Navy, he told Damore, all of which were also part of his cover, and he had also been

“an FBI man” when circumstances required it.

His listed residence at 1500 Arlington Boulevard in Arlington, Virginia, Mitchell told Damore, was in fact a CIA safe house.

He was now seventy-four years old and had five children. It had been “an operation,” Mitchell disclosed.

He had beenassigned” in September 1964 to be part of a “surveillance team” that was monitoring Mary Meyer.

Mitchell appeared to suggest that the trigger for the surveillance had been the release of the Warren Report: “24 Sept Warren Report. She hit [the] roof.” Damore reiterated that Mary had bought a copy of the paperback version of the Warren...."

Peter Janney to Jim Fetzer on 21 November, 2012:

(Begins at 3:40 mark in audio playback:)

"....and of course, the irony is that uh....one of my uh, major critics, Tom Scully in an effort to discredit me and my book and me in particular as a terrible researcher uh.... had found some citations...."

Edited by Tom Scully

Either this thread shows Mockingbird is still alive and well, or Mr. Caddy was stunningly clueless then, but not now. Who did you think you

were associating with, Douglas? How short do you expect our memories are?

It was illegal for the CIA to conduct covert operations inside the U.S. You were surrounded by associates from Buckley to Franke to Hunt who made their living carrying out the CIA's domestic playbook, from 1960 to 1972, and you complain that Sirica, a republican elevated by Eisenhower was wrong about who you were and what you knew. Your history and associations from 1960 indicated you were not at arms length, aside from the fact your "clients" were not indicted for burglarizing a donut shop. You and they appeared to any reasonable person to be affiliated political enemies of the target of the burglary and it was no secret by the late 1960's that the CIA had backed Franke, Buckley, and yourself in your student organizing and was also associated in the past with Hunt, McCord, and others linked to the burglary of the DNC office in the Watergate.

1. UNIT FORMED TO PRESERVE LOYALTY OATH

Pay-Per-View -
    The Sun - Jan 28, 1960
    Douglas Caddy, a senior at Georgetown University, is chair. . man of the new group. David ; Franke, a junior at George Washington University, is execu. . live ...

2. POLITICANS EYE RIGHTIST POWER; Effect on This Year's State...

$3.95 -
    New York Times - Mar 12, 1962
    David Franke, chairman of its Greater New York Council, says members ... were led by Douglas Caddy, who had a job with Mr. Liebman, and Mr. Franke, ...

http://www.acorn.net...rmblr94.fp.html

and...

WASHINGTON. — Watergate conspirator E. Howard Hunt, a former ...

jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg.../Hunt%20Buckley%2024.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

a former CIA agent who helped plan the 1961 Bay of. _ Pigs invasion of ... David Franke, senior editor of Arlington House, the pub- lishers, said contracts for the ....

Judging by what you shared in your second post on this thread, it seems you did not fully weigh then and still do not now, that there were and still are so few of your old circle that despite the active association with and support of the CIA, (financing, organizing, and propaganda expertise) done as secretly as possible, the ideology of the Buckley and the Stanton Evans "brand" had to be inserted into American politics from the top down. The CIA playbook for the U.S. tracks closely to what is attempted outside the country, an all out effort to overcome the lack of grass roots support by faking it.

Thus, there is no place to hide. You were a member of a near empty church, a congregation in which deniability was a challenge to convincingly pull off.:

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

DOLE SAYS QUAYLE IS DAMAGING BUSH

By MAUREEN DOWD, Special to the New York Times

Published: August 22, 1988

.....In interviews with newspapers this weekend, James Quayle added more grist to the controversy over how Mr. Quayle conducted himself in 1969 and 1970, when he was making the decisions that would determine his career.

Mr. Quayle, the publisher of The Huntington Herald Press and son-in-law of the former head of the family publishing empire, Eugene C. Pulliam, reiterated today in an interview from his Huntington home that he had stepped in when his son, who was then 22 and attending night classes in law, was looking for a job.

He had told his son that he had to get a job, because he had other children in college with expenses. ''I said, 'Danny, I can't do everything for you the way I did at DePauw,'' he recalled. ''If you're going to Indianapolis, you're going to have to take care of yourself.' ''

Although his son had started out trying ''to get an interview with the city,'' James Quayle said that he pulled some strings to help his son get a more prestigious job with the state. The senior Mr. Quayle called M. Stanton Evans, the editor of The Indianapolis News, a paper in the Pulliam chain, and asked him if he could arrange an interview for Dan Quayle with state officials.

Mr. Evans did arrange an interview with Theodore L. Sendack, who was then the Indiana Attorney General, and Dan Quayle got the job. ''He was a clerk for Sendack, a gofer,'' his father said.

James Quayle, who said that the controversy over the National Guard was ''so untrue and so unfair,'' said that his son gained admission to law school on his own inititative......

.....Evans was present at Great Elm, the family home of William F. Buckley in Sharon, Connecticut, at the founding of Young Americans for Freedom,[19] where on September 11, 1960, he drafted YAF's charter, the Sharon Statement.[20] Some conservatives still revere this document as a concise statement of their principles.[21]

The group responsible for attempting to give the appearance of wide grass roots support in the U.S. for CIA stepfordism did do one thing impressively well, they employed and published each other.

I have made replies above to postings in this topic by Pat Speer and Pamela Brown. I now will address the posting Tom Scully.

I gather from the Tom’s scattered broadsides against me that somehow he believes I should have been aware of the activities of the CIA in the 1950’s. I have discussed much of the material alleged in Tom’s broadsides when I joined the Forum in 2007. I have reprinted some below.

To summarize, I was graduated from high school in June 1956 and enrolled in the School of Foreign Service in September 1956 at the age of 18 years.

In my sophomore year, I was given a working scholarship by the Intercollegiate Society of Individualists to intern at Human Events newsletter. I did this for two years, 1957-1958. There were two other interns: David Franke, who was a sophomore at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. and William Schulz, who was a graduate of Antioch College. Stan Evans, who had been graduated from Yale a few years before, was the managing editor at Human Events.

None of us -- Franke, Schulz, Evans or me -- at that time or since then have been employees of the CIA. For you to infer otherwise is ridiculous.

While enrolled in studies as a full time student as Georgetown, I was also class president, editor of the school’s magazine, President of the District of Columbia College Young Republicans, intern at Human Events. If the CIA existed (which it did), it was not on my radar screen.

Two years after being graduated from Georgetown, I enrolled as a student at New York University Law School and was graduated from there in June 1966.

The CIA did not appear on my radar screen until I met Howard Hunt in 1970 when he joined the staff of the Mullen Company.

You leveled a broadside that mentioned David Franke. He dropped out of George Washington University after the second year to work full time for Human Events and in June 1960 was asked to join the staff of National Review as an editorial assistant. For the past 40 years he has been a close working associate of Conservative guru, Richard Viguerie.

Evans’ father was Medford Evans, who was a writer and organizer for the John Birch Society. Evans has never worked for the CIA.

http://www.spartacus...k/JFKcaddyD.htm

Douglas Caddy: I became active politically while still in high school in New Orleans in the early 1950's. Later, as a student at Georgetown University, I helped organize the National Student Committee for the Loyalty Oath in 1959. This led to the creation of Youth for Goldwater for Vice President in early 1960 and later that year to Young Americans for Freedom. This was the genesis of the modern conservative movement in the United States.

In 1961 the first mass conservative rally, sponsored by YAF, was held in Manhattan Center in New York City. The next year an even larger rally was held in Madison Square Garden.

If I were to pinpoint when the conservative movement was first hijacked by sociopaths, I would say it took place in 1974, just after President Nixon was forced to resign. His resignation opened the way for the sociopaths to take over.

In late 1974, the board of directors of the Schuchman Foundation met. Robert Schuchman was the first national chairman of YAF. In attendance at the meeting, in addition to the foundation's directors, were Edwin Feulner, Paul Weyrich and Joseph Coors. Coors, president of Coors Beer Company, told the foundation directors that unless they did exactly what he and Feulner and Weyrich directed them to do, he would destroy them and their organization.

The Schuchman Foundation directors brushed aside Coors' threat. Shortly thereafter, Coors, Feulner and Weyrich organized the Heritage Foundation and the Committee for a Free Congress. The latter two organizations, extremely well funded in the last 30 years, have crafted the national legislation and federal regulations that have enriched the wealthy and crucified the poor and disabled in America.

Since 1974 the conservative movement and the Republican Party, dominated by sociopaths with no social conscience whatsoever, have successfully engaged in what I call "The Politics of Death.

From my reply on the Education Forum of February 10, 2007:

http://educationforu...opic=4727&st=15

The National Student Committee for the Loyalty Oath, organized in 1959, was the initial cornerstone in the building of the mass Conservative Movement in the U.S. The strategic goal of David Franke and myself was to attract like-minded students around the country in an attempt to show that Conservatism was the wave of the future.

When the Student Committee was launched I was still an undergraduate in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. A number of national publications published articles about the group, inevitably linking my name as a student to Georgetown University. As a result mail from interested persons was sent to me c/o the University. This mail was opened up without my permission by the Jesuit Vice President of the University, who was hostile to conservatives. He courteously noted with his initials that he had read my mail before it was presented to me. However, this activity suddenly ceased when he opened an envelope from Senator Styles Bridges of New Hampshire, who was chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee. Senator Bridges’ letter enclosed a copy of the Congressional Record in which he praised our Student Committee. Apparently even a Jesuit had second thoughts about opening the private mail sent by a member of the U.S. Senate.

The Student Committee led to the creation of Youth for Goldwater in early 1960 and later that fall to the founding the Young Americans for Freedom.

The best history of the era is chronicled by M. Stanton Evans’ book, Revolt on the Campus, published by the Henry Regnery Company in 1962.

The Conservative Movement of the 1960's bore no resemblance to what passes as the Conservative Movement of today.

---------------------------------------------------

From my reply on the Education Forum of March 25, 2007:

No, I had no information that William F. Buckley was involved with the CIA during the period that Young Americans for Freedom was founded and launched in the early 1960's. To be best of my recollection, I first learned that Buckley had worked for the CIA after being so informed by Howard Hunt soon after I met him following my being assigned in 1969 by General Foods Corporation in New York to work out of the Mullen Company offices in Washington, D.C. I was quite surprised to learn of Buckley’s past association with the CIA.

While Hunt was a close friend of Buckley, he was quite upset with Brent Bozell, a brother-in-law of Buckley. One of Hunt’s sons was seriously injured in an automobile accident when Bozell foolishly allowed a Mexican gardener whom he employed to drive Hunt’s young son home after the latter had spent the weekend as a guest with the Bozell family. Hunt told me the gardener didn’t even have a driver’s license.

I have often wondered if the fact that both Hunt and James McCord were burdened with heavy medical bills for their children did not lead them to take the gamble of engaging in the Watergate break-in as a mean of securing additional income to pay for the medical expenses. Hunt told me that he and his wife incurred heavy medical bills as a result of the vehicle accident that injured their son. The McCords had an autistic child to whom they were devoted but also burdened them with medical bills.

When JFK was assassinated in 1963, I was employed in the New York City office of Governor Nelson Rockefeller located at 22 West 55th Street, on the staff of Lt.-Gov. Malcolm Wilson, who was as conservative and Rockefeller was liberal. I juggled my work load with also attending New York University Law School. As such, I was “out of the loop” as to Buckley’s activities in the years following 1962.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Col. PASH was sent into Europe to stop the NAZI A-Bomb program in WWII. On the internet I found that PASH, post war, maintained an office at Oak Ridge. (HARVEY & LEE fans know that a LHO (Lee) signed a visitators register there(when Harvey was elsewhere)). From 1944 to 1952 Medford Byran Evans was the head trainer in Security at Oak Ridge. It is small assumption that PASH knew Evans. (Evan's son BTW knows the CIA Buckley family) PASH did so called WET ops against the scientists in Europe. Im sure there were imported NASI & European scientists who knew what PASH did and worked at Oak Ridge. ++ Hunt was left out in the cold. IMHO McCord let everyone be caught in the Break-in on purpose. Hunts statement about JJA and PASH (that JJA used PASH in assassinations) was a way of getting back/sending message to CIA (lay off me or I'll blow whole DALLAS THING !!). IMHO Evans was a deep penetration agent of the CIA into the far-right south. If so, JJA could have used him (Evans) as an asset. THANKS STEVE GAAL material below reproduced for research purposes only.Jerry P. Shinley Archive:

General Edwin Walker's New Orleans Links

General Walker's New Orleans Links

Author: jpshinley

Email: jpshinley@my-dejanews.com

Date: 1998/07/28

Jerry Rose, in an article entitled "Nut Country II", (The Third Decade; May, 1990; Volume 6, Number 4; pp 1-5) transcribes a document from the National Archives concerning the activities of Major General Edwin A. Walker in New Orleans on Nov 20, 1963. The Document is a report from the Louisiana State Police. Walker met privately with Perez at his office in the National American Bank Building and also meet with about 35 conservative leaders at the Jung Hotel. On the 21st, Walker held another meeting with 90 people.

It is possible that Walker's meeting was ostensibly connected with the Free Elector movement, which developed into a George Wallace for president campaign. It is certainly conceivable that Banister was one of the "conservative leaders" present at this meeting.

Perhaps this would be the logical point to introduce a mutual cquaintance of Banister and Walker: Medford Bryan Evans. The first item concerning Evans is his entry from "Contemporary Authors" (Volumes 25-28 (revised); Gale Research Co.; 1971-78). Evans was born in 1907 in Lufkin, Texas. He graduated from the University of Chattanooga in 1927 and took a Ph. D. from Yale in 1933. He taught at various colleges. From 1944 to 1952, Evans worked for the Atomic Energy Commission in Oak Ridge and Washington, D. C. His last position was as chief of security training. He worked for the H. L. Hunt-created Facts Forum Foundation in Dallas from 1954 to 1955. He lived in Natchitoches, Louisiana from 1955 to 1962, teaching at Northwestern State College from 1955 to 1959, and working as a "consultant" from 1959 to 1962. In 1962, he went to work as managing editor of "The Citizen", official publication of the Citizens' Councils of America in Jackson, Mississippi. Evans was also a member of the John Birch Society and a contributor to its publication, "American Opinion". (see also: McMillen, Neil R. "The Citizens' Council". Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1971) My understanding is that Evans died in the late Eighties. M. (Medford) Stanton Evans, a member of William F. Buckley's circle, is Evans' son.

In 1962, Evans appeared alongside General Walker at the Senate "Military Muzzling" Hearings organized by Strom Thurmond. (Military Cold War Education and Speech Review Policies; Hearings before the Special Preparedness Subcommittee of the Committee on Armed Services, U. S. Senate, 87th Congress, 2nd Session, p 1389)

A review, by Evans, of three books related to the JFK assassination appeared in "American Opinion" for September, 1977. (pp 67-70). In the course of the review, Evans described Banister as "a friend of mine as it happens." (p69, 1st column, 1st paragraph)

An indication that Evans and Banister moved in the same circles in Louisiana is that in 1960 Evans was named as secretary of the Louisiana States Rights Party. Kent Courtney was the party's candidate for governor. David C. Treen, a New Orleans attorney was named chairman, replacing another N. O. lawyer, Felix Lapeyre. (NOTP; January 6, 1960; s1, p11) Kent Courtney was named by the HSCA as a Banister acquaintance. (HSCA; Vol X, 130)

General Walker should be asked about the purpose of his trip to N. O. just before the assassination. Was Banister present at the meetings? Did Walker have direct or indirect contact with Banister before this? Did he ever discuss Banister with Medford Evans? Was Banister interested in the Walker shooting? Did Walker discuss Banister with Evans after the assassination?

Since David C. Treen's name came up, here's a bit more. In 1960, Leander Perez seized the machinery of the Louisiana States' Rights Party in order to field a slate of Presidential electors in opposition to the Democratic Kennedy-Johnson ticket. David C. Treen, Willie Rainach, Emile A. Wagner and Perez himself were on the slate. (NOTP; September 19, 1960; s1, p3) The next year, Treen attacked the National States' Rights Party, after a "secret" meeting of a purported local branch. He insisted that the Louisiana Party was in no way connected to the national group, which was "a disgrace to the term 'states rights.'" (NOTP; June 3, 1961; s2, p3). A year later, after Treen left, the Louisiana States Rights Party would file suit in Federal Court against the NSRP. The suit sought to enjoin the NSRP from using the words "States' Rights Party" in Louisiana. The complaint was made that the NSRP has falsely claimed an affiliation with the Louisiana group. The NSRP newspaper, "The Thunderbolt", was referred to as "a reprehensible, abhorrent and despicable publication." (NOTP; September 12, 1962; s2, p4) Treen would switch to the Republican party and become a congressman, then governor of Louisiana. In 1966, he was a director of INCA. (NOTP; December 13, 1966; s4, p7) I believe Treen is still alive. He spoke out in opposition to David Duke in the last election. I'm not sure if he would be too thrilled to talk about the good old days with the segregationists.

Another Walker-New Orleans link is through George Soule, president of Soule Business College. In 1962, George Soule was "community chairman" of the New Orleans Indignation Committee. (NOTP; February 8, 1962; s2, p4) In January, Walker had addressed this group, via closed-circuit TV, at a meeting held at Soule College. (NOTP; January 4, 1962; s1, p14)

In 1963, Soule was chairman of the 12th Annual National Congress of Freedom. (Who's Who in the South and Southwest 1963 - 1964) General Walker's lawyer, Clyde Watts, was a speaker at this event. (NOTP; April 7, 1963). J. A. Milteer was also in attendance. (Weisberg; Frame-Up; p481)

#######################################

see http://www.maryferre...430&relPageId=5

William Kelly

William Kelly

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

William Kelly, on Mar 25 2009, 07:28 AM, said:

James Richards, on Aug 26 2008, 02:17 PM, said:

For those who are curious, Pash's testimony before the Church Committee makes for some interesting reading.

James

Yes James,

I recently came across it and will post a link to it if I can find it again.

There's also a mention of a newspaper article, I think that E. Howard Hunt calls Pash the head of an assassin's unit.

BK

http://www.maryferre...amp;relPageId=5

http://www.oac.cdlib...3030/tf300002fn

http://www.universit...ments/MPASH.pdf

http://www.manuscrip...ce.com/FFiDP-2/

Boris Pash is relatively unknown in the wider community, but his status amongst the multitude of intelligence divisions is legendary. He was a security officer for the Manhattan Project and a leader of the ALSOS mission which was tasked to monitor the progress of nuclear weapons, to secure atomic material and to capture scientists working on the Nazi atomic project.

Post-WW2, Pash served in various military intelligence positions; from 1948 to 1951, he was the military representative to the CIA.

One of the creatures created by the CIA was a unit called the Health Alteration Committee, which was directed by Dr. Sidney Gottlieb and Boris Pash. This group conducted experiments with mind-altering drugs, lethal viruses and exotic poisons that could kill without detection.

In an interview with the New York Times in 1975, E. Howard Hunt claimed that the head of the CIA assassination unit was Boris Pash.

<H3 id=siteSub>http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Boris_Pash</H3>Boris T. Pash (1900–1995) was a US Army officer.

He was born in San Francisco, California, on June 20, 1900. His father was Rev. Theodore Pashkovsky (would become Most Reverend Metropolitan Theophilus from 1934-1950), a Russian Orthodox priest who had been sent to California by the Church in 1894. Because his father had been recalled to Russia, the entire family returned to Russia in 1912. Boris attended Seminary school and graduated in 1917. During the Russian Revolution, he served in the White Russian navy. In 1920, he married Lydia Ivanov, and chose to return to the United States when the Bolshevik consolidation of power became apparent. He was able to secure employment with the YMCA in Berlin [Germany] where his son (Edgar Constantine Boris Pashkovsky; aka Edgar C.B. Pash) was born on June 14, 1921. Upon returning to the United States with his family, he attended Springfield College, in Springfield, Massachusetts, where he graduated with a B.A. in physical education. It was during this time that he changed the family name from Pashkovsky to Pash.

Before World War II, Pash taught at Hollywood High School in Los Angeles. He continued his education, and received an M.A. from the University of Southern California. A reserve officer, he was called to active duty in 1940. He was a security officer for the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, and, toward the end of the war, the military leader of the Operation Alsos. Its purpose was to determine how far the Axis had progressed toward developing nuclear weapons, and to secure atomic material and capture the scientists working on the Nazi atomic project.

After the war, Pash served in various military intelligence positions. He served under General Douglas MacArthur in Japan (1946-47). From 1948-51, he served as a military representative to the Central Intelligence Agency, and during this time, he was in charge of a controversial CIA program PB/7, also known as Operation Bloodstone which involved recruiting former German officers and diplomats who could be used in the covert war against the Soviet Union. This included former members of the Nazi Party such as Gustav Hilger and Hans von Bittenfield.

He also served in Austria (1952-53), and in Washington, D.C. (1953-57) and in 1954, he testified in the Dr. Robert Oppenheimer security investigation.

He retired from the Army in 1957. He died on May 11, 1995 in Greenbrae, California. Colonel Pash is a member of the Military Intelligence Hall of Fame.

Edited by Steven Gaal