The Education Forum

Bill Simpich's State Secret

William Kelly

On the Nagell question - I love Dick Russell's book, and think there's a lot to the story, I wonder if Nagell got arrested so he wouldn't be associated with Mexico City. But the documentary portion of Nagell's story doesn't mesh easily with the story I tell, so I left it out. I try to tell maybe a couple more stories than I should as it is.

Good question on Goodpasture - no I don't think she knew about Webster. But Egerter did - she helped create the two letters of Oct 10. Letter one to Mexico City provided the Mystery Man description of LHO - the one they knew. Letter two to FBI, State and Navy provided the Webster-like description of LHO - the one they had known since 1960.

Why? It was a molehunt, described in the upcoming Chapter 5 of State Secret. If you want an advance look at my hypothesis, go to Oped News and see the Twelve Who Built the Oswald Legend, Chapter 10.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, Tommy. I noticed that the above-mentioned Chapter 10 I referred you to was posted elsewhere on this forum. I went there and the main response my article got was from you! And I never wrote you back. So let me thank you now for your feedback and your support.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2013 at 0:16 AM, Bill Simpich said:

LOL, Tommy. I noticed that the above-mentioned Chapter 10 I referred you to was posted elsewhere on this forum. I went there and the main response my article got was from you! And I never wrote you back. So let me thank you now for your feedback and your support.

Bill

Bill,

Do you think it was just a coincidence that the almost-October-1 Mexico City dude Goodpasture chose from the photos to "mistake for" (or almost kinda suggest was, through carefully-chosen words and simple juxtaposition in the cable's text) Lee "Henry" Oswald ... was ... KGB officer / agent, Yuri Moskalev, ... or do you think her choosing Moskalev to serve as the "Mexico City Mystery Man" was a deliberate decision?

Is it possible that someone wanted, as part of an elaborate Mole Hunt or act of disinformation, somebody else to think that it was Moskalev who was impersonating Oswald over the telephone and/or in-person there?

Thanks,

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

Bill

Bill,

What importance do you give the fact that the American-looking (based on clothing?) guy Goodpasture chose to confuse with Oswald might have been KGB agent Yuri Moskalev?

Thanks,

--Tommy :sun

edited on 2/23/14 for Bill Simpich

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 3 months later...

Bill - I have to say how much I am enjoying your book... Is there any chance you did an organizational chart to illustrate all these connections? There is a portion of one for the Mexico City station, yet as I did with Armstrong's H&L, I may have to try to graphically represent these relationships using a Visio type program, or a data base type of set-up.

Not having the connections easily visualized takes something from my understanding of the whole... I too spend time just diving into the MFF docs to see what turns up - that's how I found WCD298...

I remain a firm believer that HARVEY Oswald was not in Mexico in late Sept... yet LEE may have...

What I appreciate the most in your book is how you spell out the counter and counter-counter activities each of the intelligence agencies has to engage in to "watch their own backs" - that OSWALD on these tapes was a ruse by the Cubans or others to find out more about the USA operations is something I know I forget to include in my thinking...

I do have a question...

How long before the actual assassination - given Tampa and Chicago operations - do YOU believe the Dallas scenario was set up and was Oswald always the Dallas patsy?

I'm glad you are enjoying it! I wrote it with researchers and historians in mind.

One question I want to ask the members of the forum - is the book too densely written? It's 400 pages not counting endnotes, and I'm wondering if I should consider writing a simpler version for the general public that cuts out of the detours I get a kick out of exploring along the way.

To David's question - my speculation is that Oswald was mulled over by the planners after hosty wrote his sept 10 memo saying that lho was active with the FPCC and was seeking CPUSA membership.

Within days Tilton and Anderson set up their anti FPCC operation. A day later Oswald obtained a Mexican visa. On the 25th Harvey's buddy Will Potocki got a copy of the Hosty memo.

On the 27th Oswald showed the Cubans his FPCC and CPUSA cards. I think that and the soviet visit the next morning closed out the Tilton/Anderson operation. I am agnostic about whether this person was oswald. I don't think it matters much.

I do believe that Oswald was impersonated in the calls of sept 28 and oct 1. I think that was tied to the plans to kill JFK as one of several options. I think the plans included attempts in Chicago and Tampa and Miami but don't have an opinion on the amount of lead time for those.

I'm not comfortable doing much speculation. But the reference on NBC during 11/22 that an enfield rifle might have been the murder weapon makes me think that if Wesley Frazier was not a suspect, a planner may have leaked the enfield story to NBC to scare Enfield owner Frazier and try to convince him to link the curtain rods and paper bag to LHO. Frazier refused to do it, he passed his polygraph, and then the dallas cops released Frazier from custody and pretended the polygraph never happened.

On the 2

On the question Tommy asked - sorry I missed it earlier - I think goodpasture chose the mystery man picture for two reasons.

One reason is because he had a similar build as Robert Webster. The second reason is because he was Russian - CIA experts thought he was probably KGB officer Yuri Moslalev.

I should add , however, that if you study the photos of people going in and out of the Soviet embassy, there weren't many people who could be plausibly mistaken to be Americans.

She had few choices. - that's the best clue as to why she chose a man who visited the consulate on oct 2 rather than oct 1. She figured she could just pass it off as a mistake if she was ever challenged. She never imagined these top secret documents would ever be reviewed by anyone.

To David's question about organizational charts for use in reading State Secret...I could build on this, but this should help. You will notice that many of these players didn't make the final cut, but it's good to get them out there.

Headquarters CI Staff and Staff D:

"Division D ranked with Jim Angleton's Counterintelligence/Counterespionage Staff as the most secret of the Agency's Clandestine Services." - Bayard Stockton, Flawed Patriot, p. 111.

James Angleton Bill Harvey Frank Belsito Joseph Langan, C/WH/4/Security

[/indent]

Yes indeed BIll... looks GREAT!

One would think that there'd be a database of all these names and connections by now... SPARTACUS is kind of set up that way, but only on the surface....

Will take a look at Visio and see if I can't do some sort of interconnected Org Chart...

Thanks for the kick start.

State Secret timeline...

November 1962 – Harvey is told that he is being transferred from Cuban operations

January 1963 – Harvey suggests trying to recruit Cuban consul Eusebio Azcue

July – SAS chief Des FitzGerald is extremely interested in recruiting Azcue

August – Mexico City chief Win Scott agrees to try to recruit Azcue

September 13 – Scott suggests using two agents in a compartmented 1-2 punch

September 16 – SAS officer Tilton suggests deceptive op to embarrass the FPCC

September 17 – Oswald receives a visa for “Harvey Oswald Lee”

September 19 – Azcue recruitment fails – “let’s wait for further developments”

September 23 – Lechuga and Attwood discuss Castro-JFK rapproachment

September 26 – Anderson: Fabricated evidence OK, if not initiated by CIA

September 27 – Oswald shows FPCC and CPUSA cards during 3 visits to Cuban consulate

September 28 – Call from Duran and Oswald at Cuban consulate to Soviet consulate

September 30 – David Phillips leaves for CIA HQ in DC

October 1 – Oswald identifies self by name in call to Soviet consulate

October 1 or 2 – Tarasoff identifies “Lee Oswald” as caller on the 28th and 1st

October 2 – Actual date of visit by “mystery man” to Soviet consulate, not Oct 1

Early October – Three CIA memos express concern that FBI/MC is penetrated

October 8 – Goodpasture dictates a memo linking Oct 1 call to Mystery Man

October 9 – Gheesling & Anderson take Oswald off the FBI security watchlist

October 10 – CIA HQ conducts molehunt aimed at SAS/JMWAVE, FBI, Mexico City

Mid-October - Goodpasture claims this is when Tarasoff linked the two calls

November 22 - CI/SIG chief says only CIA information on Oswald comes from FBI and State

November 23 - FBI Dallas agents say that the tape of Oswald doesn't match his voice

November 23 - Hoover tells LBJ that there were two different men in Mexico City

My apologies, I posted the last item a little too quickly. This is better.

Better version of the State Secret timeline...

November 1962 – Harvey is told that he is being transferred from Cuban operations

January 1963 – Harvey suggests trying to recruit Cuban consul Eusebio Azcue

July – SAS chief Des FitzGerald is extremely interested in recruiting Azcue

August – Mexico City chief Win Scott agrees to try to recruit Azcue

September 10 - FBI agent Hosty reports Oswald has FPCC card and subscribes to CPUSA newspaper

September 13 – Scott suggests using two agents in a compartmented 1-2 punch

September 16 – SAS officer Tilton suggests deceptive op to embarrass the FPCC

September 17 – Oswald receives a visa to go to Mexico City for fifteen days

September 19 – Azcue recruitment fails – “let’s wait for further developments”

September 23 – Lechuga and Attwood discuss Castro-JFK rapproachment

September 25 - Harvey's pal Will Potocki receives Hosty's Sept 10 memo about Oswald

September 26 – Anderson: Fabricated evidence OK, if not initiated by CIA

September 27 – Oswald shows FPCC and CPUSA cards during 3 visits to Cuban consulate

September 28 – Call from Duran and Oswald at Cuban consulate to Soviet consulate

September 30 – David Phillips leaves for CIA HQ in DC

October 1 – Oswald identifies self by name in call to Soviet consulate

October 1 or 2 – Tarasoff identifies “Lee Oswald” as caller on the 28th and 1st

October 2 – Actual date of visit by “mystery man” to Soviet consulate, not Oct 1

Early October – Three CIA memos express concern that FBI/MC is penetrated

October 8 – Goodpasture dictates a memo linking Oct 1 call to Mystery Man

October 9 – Gheesling & Anderson take Oswald off the FBI security watchlist

October 10 – CIA HQ conducts molehunt aimed at SAS/JMWAVE, FBI, Mexico City

Mid-October - Goodpasture claims this is when Tarasoff linked the two calls

November 22 - CI/SIG chief says only CIA information on Oswald comes from FBI and State

November 23 - FBI Dallas agents say that the tape of Oswald doesn't match his voice

November 23 - Hoover tells LBJ that there were two different men in Mexico City