The Education Forum

“They’re All Gone”: Shock as sardines vanish off California — Fishermen didn’t find a single one all summer

Steven Gaal

re food chain stuff: I don't really know much about the oceans food chain. As I imagine it it starts with things like plankton and detritus in the ocean and at the bottom of the ocean. Three reactors blew and a huge initial plume drifted over the ocean presumably dropping a load. Since then there has been a highly concentrated leak into the ocean as effort after effort to prevent it as cheaply as possible fails again and again. This slop blooms out from the japanese coast and disperses under the influence of subsurface currents that take three years to reach north america. All this time to varying degrees huge numbers of organism live in it. In turn other animals feed on them, gradually concentrating elements as the food goes up the chain. These larger animals live longer but do eventually die and enter the foodchain again to a large extent through smaller organisms again. If that scenario or something like it is valid then what that bring to the various arguments.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#################
From Feb 19th article

For his part, Hirsch would like to see the EPA send water samples to their labs where their “radiological fingerprint” can be tested, which—if cesium were detected—would allow scientists to know whether it originated from nuclear weapons testing fallout from decades past, or if it came more recently from Fukushima.

Additionally, Hirsch says he is worried about the EPA’s heightened standards for permissible radiation levels, which were revised in April of last year. The new guidelines for radiological incidents make cleanup standards much more lax. “This would, in effect, increase a longstanding one-in-10,000-person cancer rate to a rate of one-in-23 persons exposed over a 30-year period,” according to an April 8 press release from the national alliance Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

They’ve tried to relax these permissible levels over the last year in a very controversial fashion,” Hirsch says. “They’re trying to reassure people that there’s no problem, and now people are going out with handheld Geiger counters, and the truth is getting lost, but the truth is subtle.”

Hirsch says that the danger that radiation quantities pose are significant even at tiny margins. With the standards even lower, there could be significant health effects even though radiation levels are below the government’s permissible level.

There is no threshold below which there is no harm caused by radiation,” he says. “The theory is called the ‘linear no-threshold model,’ which means risk increases linearly with the dose. Small amounts of radioactivity produce small increases in cancer risk; larger amounts produce larger degrees of cancer risk.”

=================================

http://enenews.com/nuclear-professor-fish-on-west-coast-found-with-fukushima-radioactive-material-were-testing-fish-that-are-sold-at-markets-to-u-s-consumers-audio

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

linear no-threshold model,

Edited by Steven Gaal

Sorry Steven - I don't trust what you are posting. The links you provide don't seem to link to the quoted text and once again you use enenews,

Once again, Daniel Hirsch is quoted here are saying it is no problem:

http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Coast-getting-little-radiation-from-Fukushima-5125645.php

He is also on video saying it is not a concern (though he does make his views clear that he doesn't like nuclear power):

http://revision3.com/whatsthebigdeal/fukushima-radiation

So where did that text you quote come from?

Well, it cam from here:

http://www.gtweekly.com/index.php/santa-cruz-news/santa-cruz-environmental-news/5432-the-fukushima-fallout-.html

So - again - is he saying there is contamination, that the fish are dangerous to eat? NO. He is saying that there are large risks and that they aren't monitoring the situation properly and that it is vital that levels be monitored using the correct equipment and skillset.

He even says how some people are reporting reading which are being misinterpreted.

Hirsch says this failure on the government’s part has led to the flood of citizens taking matters into their own hands. This poses a problem because these handheld devices do not provide the necessary context of a radiation source’s signal, he says.

“There’s a vacuum that’s been created by the government agencies doing a very poor job at monitoring, so you end up having people using digital equipment they don’t entirely understand and don’t really show what you want to look for, and getting results that scare people,” Hirsch says.

To get the appropriate data, Hirsch says scientists need to test samples in areas where the normal, or “background,” level of radiation is known, and use equipment that can determine what kinds of radiation are registering. He would want to know if the monitor is picking up cesium-137—one of the most abundant and hazardous radioactive isotopes released from Fukushima—or something that occurs naturally in the sand, like radium.

Daniel Hirsch, a University of California Santa Cruz lecturer and leading nuclear policy expert, said Geiger counters are not a reliable way of measuring radiation.

"What needs to be done is to take samples of the sand in a laboratory to determine which radium are present," Hirsch said. "No one should fear a day on the beach. No one should fear surfing or eating fish."

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/santa-cruz/zero-threat-of-fukushima-radiation-at-california-beaches-health-officials-say/23872086

So again it does not support what you are saying. I believe that you are - like many other people who are worried, ill-informed and ill-equipped to understand the situation - are simply scare-mongering.

If you're calling for increased monitoring, then I'm on your side.

If you believe, like Mr Hirsch, that the limits should not be lowered because cumulative effects can cause problems, then I agree with you.

If you are claiming that it is dangerous to eat seafood from California and the cause is radiation from Fukushima, then you are plain wrong.

Edited by Evan Burton
Added additional citation

re food chain stuff: I don't really know much about the oceans food chain. As I imagine it it starts with things like plankton and detritus in the ocean and at the bottom of the ocean. Three reactors blew and a huge initial plume drifted over the ocean presumably dropping a load. Since then there has been a highly concentrated leak into the ocean as effort after effort to prevent it as cheaply as possible fails again and again. This slop blooms out from the japanese coast and disperses under the influence of subsurface currents that take three years to reach north america. All this time to varying degrees huge numbers of organism live in it. In turn other animals feed on them, gradually concentrating elements as the food goes up the chain. These larger animals live longer but do eventually die and enter the foodchain again to a large extent through smaller organisms again. If that scenario or something like it is valid then what that bring to the various arguments.

(I'm not a biologist) I'm surprised to find that sardines live to 15 years. They also eat plankton. Whales eat small fish. The blue whale has resumed migrating in the north pacific. They eat 4 tons a day. ... ? Perhaps checking out dead whales can somehow indicate a presence or not of (accumulated/concentrated) radiatiactive elements. They do get melanoma from sunburn.

So again it does not support what you are saying. I believe that you are - like many other people who are worried, ill-informed and ill-equipped to understand the situation - are simply scare-mongering.// BURTON

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hirsch says that the danger that radiation quantities pose are significant even at tiny margins. With the standards even lower, there could be significant health effects even though radiation levels are below the government’s permissible level.

There is no threshold below which there is no harm caused by radiation,” he says. “The theory is called the ‘linear no-threshold model,’ which means risk increases linearly with the dose. Small amounts of radioactivity produce small increases in cancer risk; larger amounts produce larger degrees of cancer risk.”

=================================

#####################

WHAT DONT YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT Nuclear Professor and Fish on West Coast found with Fukushima radioactive material ????
ostrich-bury-head-sand-coloring-page.gif

################
Who is ill-informed and ill-equipped to understand the situation .who ?? .....????

Edited by Steven Gaal

(I'm not a biologist) I'm surprised to find that sardines live to 15 years. They also eat plankton. Whales eat small fish. The blue whale has resumed migrating in the north pacific. They eat 4 tons a day. ... ? Perhaps checking out dead whales can somehow indicate a presence or not of (accumulated/concentrated) radiatiactive elements. They do get melanoma from sunburn.

That is something that Mr Hirsch made clear. If contaminants get into the water they get diluted and don't really pose a problem; he has no problem with swimming, etc. The food chain, however, means that sea life can can feed on things like plankton and thus you can get a higher than normal does. Over time this can lead to sea life with unhealthy - possibly dangerous - levels of toxins. That is why he wants increased monitoring and for the monitoring to take place now and for at least several years; I think it is a valid concern. Let's face it - the inverse worst case scenario is that in the years to come we discover that fish stocks are unaffected and there is nothing to be concerned about. I think of it as good insurance.

That is why he wants increased monitoring and for the monitoring to take place now and for at least several years; I think it is a valid concern. Let's face it - the inverse worst case scenario is that in the years to come we discover that fish stocks are unaffected and there is nothing to be concerned about. I think of it as good insurance. // BURTON

#######################################################################################

MONITORING APPEARS LIKELY TO OCCUR

Dr. Daniel P. Aldrich, Associate Professor and University Faculty Scholar at Purdue University, (LINK)

Feb. 25, 2014:

We had scientists in Hawaii tracking the radiation in the water and yes, some fish [caught] off the coast of America and of course near Hawaii have had high level of caesium.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honolulu Star-Advertiser,

(LINK)

Feb 16, 2014:

Senate Bill on testing for nuclear radiation advances — Two state Senate committees have passed a bill calling for the Hawaii Department of Health to launch a pilot project to monitor radiation levels for five years because some people are concerned about fallout from the March 11, 2011, nuclear disaster in Fukushima, Japan. Senate Bill 3049 has received some lawmakers’ support, despite opposition from state health officials [...] Sen. Russell Ruderman (D, Puna), who co-sponsored the bill, said the committee heard from dozens of residents who are concerned. [...] He said there’s also a question whether the kind of monitoring being done now is sufficient for the kinds of threats faced by the public from the Fukushima fallout. [...] Sen. Josh Green (D, Naalehu-Kailua-Kona), a co-sponsor of the bill, said he felt the Health Department needs to improve its website and its ability to provide information quickly about radiation levels [...]

Edited by Steven Gaal

I don't know why you don't check your sources. Dr Aldrich's expertise is in Political Science, not any biological-radiological field.

http://daldrich.weebly.com/

https://www.cla.purdue.edu/polsci/directory/?p=Daniel_Aldrich

When it comes to the issue of if seafood is safe to eat, etc, I'll still stick with people who are qualified to speak, such as Mr Hirsch.

Anyway, it is been demonstrated you are wrong. I think it is futile to try and correct your claims when you have absolutely no desire to do so and are quite happy being incorrect.

I'd advise anyone reading the thread to check everyone's sources, check to ensure you get supporting data from multiple sources, the sources are credible, and then use good judgement,

Edited by Evan Burton

Anyway, it is been demonstrated you are wrong. I think it is futile to try and correct your claims when you have absolutely no desire to do so and are quite happy being incorrect.// BURTON

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IS WHAT BURTON HAS POSTED reputation-destruction ????
NOTHING OF THE SORT (BURTONS CONCLUSIONS ABOUT ME) HAS BEEN DEMONSTRATED. (GAAL)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Snowden docs reveal gov’t agents “attempting to manipulate & control online discourse with… deception & reputation-destruction” — “Deliberately spreading lies on internet” — Using “‘false flag operations’ & emails to people’s families, friends” (GRAPHICS) (LINK BELOW)
=============
=============
###############
RELATED
Leaked emails show British gov’t worked with nuke companies on PR campaign to downplay Fukushima — Degree of collusion “truly shocking”
(LINK)
================================
British gov’t deeply involved in blatant conspiracy designed to manipulate the truth — Very effective attempt to ‘calm’ reporting of true story of Fukushima
(LINK)
##################################\

It isn’t just that the British government is trying to influence what people are thinking. The reality is that this is far bigger than a mere propaganda campaign. As Greenwald recently noted on his new website, the “integrity of the Internet itself” is at stake…

By publishing these stories one by one, our NBC reporting highlighted some of the key, discrete revelations: the
monitoring of YouTube and Blogger
, the targeting of Anonymous with the very same
DDoS attacks
they accuse “hacktivists” of using, the use of “
honey traps
” (luring people into compromising situations using sex) and
destructive viruses
. But, here, I want to focus and elaborate on the overarching point revealed by all of these documents: namely, that these agencies are attempting
to control, infiltrate, manipulate, and warp online discourse
, and in doing so, are compromising the integrity of the internet itself.

=======

So what techniques are the British using to control and manipulate discourse on the Internet? According to Greenwald, the documents that Snowden has uncovered show that they are willing to sink to despicable lows in order to get the results that they desire…

=======

Among the core self-identified purposes of JTRIG are two tactics:
(1)
to inject all sorts of
false material
onto the internet in order to
destroy the reputation
of its targets; and
(2)
to use social sciences and other techniques to
manipulate online discourse
and activism to
generate outcomes
it considers desirable. To see how extremist these programs are, just consider the tactics they boast of using to achieve those ends: “
false flag operations
” (posting material to the internet and falsely attributing it to someone else),
fake victim blog posts
(pretending to be a victim of the individual whose reputation they want to destroy), and posting “
negative information
” on various forums.

The following is a list of Internet infiltration techniques that were listed on one particular slide that Snowden leaked…

-Infiltration Operation

-Ruse Operation

-Set Piece Operation

-False Flag Operation

-False Rescue Operation

-Disruption Operation

-Sting Operation

You can check out this slide for yourself right here. (LINK)

There is also evidence that the Canadian government has been involved in this sort of thing as well. The following comes from Natural News…(LINK)

====

You’ve probably run into them before
— those seemingly random antagonizers who always end up diverting the conversation in an online chat room or article comment section away from the issue at hand, and towards a much different agenda. Hot-button issues like illegal immigration, the two-party political system, the “war on terror” and even alternative medicine are among the most common targets of such attackers, known as internet “trolls” or “shills,” who in many cases are nothing more than
paid lackeys hired by the federal government
and other international organizations
to sway and ultimately control public opinion

Several years ago, Canada’s
CTV News
aired a short segment about how its own government
had been exposed
for hiring secret agents to monitor social media and track online conversations, as well as the activities of certain dissenting individuals. This report, which in obvious whitewashing language referred to such activities as the government simply “
weighing in and correcting
” allegedly false information posted online, basically admitted that the Canadian government had assumed the role of
secret online police

You can see a video news report about this activity up in Canada right here. (LINK)

Are you disturbed yet?

You should be.

=======

So what kind of people are the governments of the western world targeting online?

Well, when it comes to the U.S. government, all you have to do is to look at their official documents to see who they consider the “problems” to be. For much more on this, please see my previous article entitled “72 Types Of Americans That Are Considered ‘Potential Terrorists’ In Official Government Documents“. (LINK)

57. Anyone "anti-nuclear"

Sadly, the reality of the matter is that the days of the free and open Internet are numbered. The governments of the world are increasing their control over the Internet with each passing day, and eventually a time will likely come when we will not be able to communicate openly like this any longer.

Sadly, the reality of the matter is that the days of the free and open Internet are numbered. The governments of the world are increasing their control over the Internet with each passing day, and eventually a time will likely come when we will not be able to communicate openly like this any longer.
(LINK

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/yes-there-are-paid-government-trolls-on-social-media-blogs-forums-and-websites_022014 )

Edited by Steven Gaal

• 3 weeks later...

Fukushima Facts Facebook Feed

1903015_10152322657033245_647073572_s.jp
Timeline Photos
Fukushima radiated the pacific ocean and continues to this day. More and more animals are bioaccumulating the nuclear toxins.
http://crms-fukushima.blogspot.jp/2014/03/312.html

food testing shows food grown in Canada is poisoned by fukushima https://www.facebook.com/notes/troy-livingston/new-independent-fukushima-food-contamination-results/10151954061378097

just a note to add here for poss future reference :

apparently there is a worrying number of dead whale calves on beaches in argentina.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

(((GEE NOTHING WRONG IN JAPAN ? ,GAAL)))

=====================

VICE: Japan mom may be jailed for tweet critical of nuclear lobbyist—Fukushima police travel 1000 miles to interrogate her, examine computer—Officer: We only go far away for potentially dangerous criminals—“May be held without bail or right to see lawyer"
Published: May 12th, 2014 at 1:25 am ET
By ENENews

VICE, Nathalie-Kyoko Stucky, May 11, 2014: Mari Takenouchi [...] wrote a tweet critical of a nuclear lobbyist. Takenouchi may go to jail [...] Prosecutors confirmed they will be flying to Okinawa [...] to question her on May 13. Police have already traveled from Fukushima to Okinawa to interrogate her [...] [she] fled her hometown of Tokyo with her infant son days after the disaster, hoping to avoid fallout from Fukushima. [...] Takenouchi said police came to her apartment in Okinawa and examined her computer [...] The prosecutor’s office will decide by July whether to indict [...] she may be held without bail [...] without a right to see a lawyer or have one present during questioning.

Lieutenant Tadashi Terashima, Fukushima police spokesman: “We only send police officers from one prefecture to another if the subject is really a potentially dangerous criminal.”

Translation of Takenouchi’s tweet: There’s a common point between the 2 criminals of the century. Yasuhiro Nakasone, who introduced nuclear plants in Japan, said: “I didn’t expect Japan in 2011 to become such a battered country.” Ryoko Ando, a (pro-establishment) citizen activist who hosts Ethos’ human experiments in Fukushima, said: “Is this the kind of world we’ve arrived at over the 67 years since the end of World Ward Two?”

VICE on Ryoko Ando: “The Japanese head of Fukushima Ethos, a project [...] funded by the French nuclear energy lobby. Fukushima Ethos encourages residents to continue living in contaminated areas as long as decontamination procedures and radiation measurements continue to be done [...] Ando reported it to the Fukushima Prefectural Police, accusing Takenouchi of either criminal defamation or criminal contempt.”

Takaaki Hattori, legal expert: “Unprecedented for the police to launch a contempt investigation against a journalist for a single tweet, made in the public interest. If all debates about nuclear energy in this country are going to become grounds for criminal investigations, freedom of speech will vanish. The fact that police even sent the case to the prosecution is disturbing.”

Japan Times, Feb. 12, 2014: “Japan fell from 22nd to 53rd place on [Reporters Without Borders' World Press Freedom Index] for “the ban imposed by the authorities on independent coverage of any topic related directly or indirectly to the [Fukushima] accident.”

Sydney Morning Herald: “The cloud was at its thickest during the three hours Takenouchi and her son, Joe, spent outside [...] Joe was exposed to 145 times the normal [radiation] level”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watch Takenouchi describe her baby’s subsequent health problems here

Edited by Steven Gaal

Mystery disease’ on Pacific coast of Alaska — Livers ‘crumble’… Hearts enlarged, pale… Yellow lymph nodes… Blood-filled lungs (PHOTOS) — Professor: Worrying there’s no answers, big public health concern — Testing carcasses for Fukushima radioactivity (AUDIO)
========
Published: May 16th, 2014 at 10:03 am ET
By ENENews
========

KNOM, May 14, 2014: Mysterious illness that’s been plaguing seals [first hit] the Bering Strait and the North Slope starting in the summer of 2011. Up to 300 seals were found suffering from hair loss, skin sores, and unusually lethargic behavior. Dozens of walruses were also found with similar sores [causing] marine mammal regulators to declare an Unusual Mortality Event [...] walrus have been taken off the UME [...] Seals [are still] displaying hair loss [...] University of Alaska Fairbanks have begun testing infected seal carcasses for [Fukushima] radiation [...] Results should be released in July.