The Education Forum

A Leftist legend

Who am I?

• My wife was in the American Friends Service Committee
  • I was a lawyer in the Department of Agriculture investigating the misuse of food stamps
  • My wife gets a job with the National Youth Commission under Jake Pickle - who would go on to be the head of the Texas Employment Commission during the critical 61-63 period
  • I got drafted after Pearl Harbor and was sent to New Orleans for Officer Intelligence training but was rejected on security grounds
  • Was then sent to the pacific theater where I would send home letter after letter complaining about the army
  • After the war I get a job with the Veterans Administration Board but lose it after being called before HUAC and accused of being a communist. Meanwhile, my wife gets her law degree at SMU
  • We both join the Dallas Unitarian Church
  • Wife does volunteer work while I continue to be monitored by the government
  • My wife then gets a job as asst DA under Henry Wade
  • Next I open a law office in the same building as the Dallas office of the 112th Military Intelligence Group
  • My wife eventually quits the DA's office and joins my law practice. By now, we are both specializing in the lucrative area of divorce
  • We are both members of the Dallas Civil Liberties Union
  • My wife takes on a Quaker client from Irving whose husband has been dishing out cruel treatment
  • It is my suggestion which leads to a delegation of DCLU members to descend on City Hall to check on Lee Oswald's rights. We don't see him but take the word of police that his rights have not been violated and leave.
  • I note that a communist law professor from MSU is heavily involved with decisions around Oswald and his arraignments
  • Said law professor is associated with FBI communist infiltrator, William Lowery

That's a potted version of how a legend is built.

Guilt by association with known "commies" in the Dept of Agri. Phony rejection for intel work as a result. Bitter and twisted letters. Joining of "subversive orgs" = Leftist legend.

and the twist at the end? Ensuring that a "fellow traveler" does not get the legal help he needs...

Edited by Greg Parker

traveler?

"fellow traveler"

fellow-traveller
noun
noun: fellow-traveler
  1. a person who travels with another.
    • a person who is not a member of a particular group or political party (especially the Communist Party), but who sympathizes with the group's aims and policies.

I was just teasing you about the way you spelled "traveler". A good "son of the Commonwealth" would have spelled it "traveller", wouldn't he?

We have been hanging around these American forums for too long, I think. :)

I was just teasing you about the way you spelled "traveler". A good "son of the Commonwealth" would have spelled it "traveller", wouldn't he?

We have been hanging around these American forums for too long, I think. :)

I have to us it for the books.

Ah, I see. Who is the person the riddle is all about?

Grier Raggio.

Gary Mack, who was lurking here a little while ago, knows about him because the 6FM did an oral interview with his wife, Louise.

They were both at the luncheon, btw. Nice. Their son went on to cause havoc inside the Democratic Party.

But everyone can go back to sleep now. Nothing to see here.

Only some dude with an alleged subversive background being "rejected" for intelligence work in the military, then sending highly inflammatory letters home from his overseas service - connected to the twin churches of Unitarians and Quakers - wife connected to LBJ and Connolly (I forgot to mention she had started out as a WH intern and had dated Connolly) - also connected to Wade and the Paines (the latter through DCLU and church membership) - divorce attorney for Ruth and with Grier organizing a posse to ostensibly ensure Oswald's right are being upheld with the real purpose being to ensure he got no legal help at all before he could be killed. And Lo - he was also pals with Prof Chuck Webster, hand puppet communist working in tandem with FBI informant/communist infiltrator and confidante of Joe Molina and several extremely dangerous right wingers- one William Lowery. Chuckie boy was in the thick of making all the big legal decisions about Oswald that night. Oh, and Lowery happened to run a shoe store not far from the Texas Theater.

Nope. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Edited by Greg Parker