The Education Forum

"Reclaiming History" Author Vincent Bugliosi Dies At Age 80 On June 6, 2015

I met Vince once at the North Hollywood Library. We chatted it up for a few minutes and he told me he was gonna check out my video series and get back to me. He blew me off, of course, but for a second there I thought communication was possible. Rest in peace.

P.S. I suspect he'd appreciate the irony of his dying on the anniversary of RFK's death, seeing as it was the one assassination he found suspicious. His obituary said he died at a Los Angeles Hospital. I wonder if it was Good Sam.

Edited by Pat Speer

I suspect he'd appreciate the irony of his dying on the anniversary of RFK's death, seeing as it was the one assassination he found suspicious.

That's interesting. Did he refer to the fatal shot behind RFK's ear as a magic bullet?

I suspect he'd appreciate the irony of his dying on the anniversary of RFK's death, seeing as it was the one assassination he found suspicious.

That's interesting. Did he refer to the fatal shot behind RFK's ear as a magic bullet?

I'm not sure what his feelings were regarding the RFK assassination at the time of his death, or even over the past few decades, but there was a time in the 1970's when Vincent B was publicly calling for a new investigation of the RFK assassination. If I recall, he also provided free legal help to a group pushing for a re-examination of the evidence.

This was at a time, moreover, when Vincent B was involved in politics. It seems possible, at least to me, that Vincent B blamed his failure in politics on his connection to the research community, and that this helped fuel his bias re the JFK assassination. But that's just a possibility.

What we do know is that he was hired to prosecute Oswald in the '86 mock trial, and that the jury said they were split as to Oswald's acting alone, and that this led him to write a book to prove they were wrong to even have the slightest doubt about this.

And what we also know--because it's been studied for decades--is that those put into a position of arbitrary advocacy--such as being hired as a prosecutor--most always come to believe the side of the argument they'd been randomly assigned is the gospel truth. It's a trick of the mind that's been studied in law schools. People operate under the assumption they are right, even when they know they have a 50/50 chance of being wrong. As I recall, the studies have shown that over 75% of law students randomly assigned to argue for a defendant's innocence come to believe the defendant is innocent under the law, while over 75% of law students randomly assigned to argue for the defendant's guilt come to believe the defendant is guilty under the law.

In any event, Bugliosi was nothing if not a lawyer to the extreme, who "lawyered" his way through the Kennedy case, and presented this friends in the media with a prosecutor's brief.

Bugliosi was nothing if not a lawyer to the extreme, who "lawyered" his way through the Kennedy case, and presented this friends in the media with a prosecutor's brief.

And they swallowed it like the whale that swallowed Jonah. This is from the New York Times review of Reclaiming History:

"What Bugliosi has done is a public service; these people should be ridiculed, even shunned. It’s time we marginalized Kennedy conspiracy theorists the way we’ve marginalized smokers; next time one of your co-workers starts in about Oswald and the C.I.A., make him stand in the rain with the other outcasts."

Thanks, Vincent, for the "public service." RIP.

I would have liked to have seen him proven wrong in his lifetime just to see the look on his face and how he would respond, given his extreme cockiness about the subject. Besides the JFK assassination, I've heard he was a pretty nice. Anyway, RIP.

Edited by Brian Schmidt

From Dale Myers' blog....

"I knew Vince quite well having assisted him on his 2007 book, "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy." He was cantankerous, volatile, and brilliant. His comprehensive book on the Kennedy case, despite the occasional and inevitable flaws, is easily the best single volume on the assassination saga ever written. His unwavering support of my own work over the years was much appreciated. For that, I remain truly grateful." -- Dale K. Myers; June 9, 2015

[End Quote.]

jfkfiles.blogspot.com/2015/06/vincent-bugliosi-has-died

--------------------

I, like Dale, will always be grateful to Vince Bugliosi. I never met Vince in person, but through a few letters and e-mails (forwarded to him by his great secretary, Rosemary, because, as you all probably know, Vince didn't use a computer at all and never had an e-mail address of his own), I have thought of Vince as a personal friend during the last eight years. I will miss him.

Edited by David Von Pein

Here's something about Vince that I never knew....

Wikipedia shows Vince's full name as Vincent T. Bugliosi, Jr.

I never knew Vince was a "Junior". I know his son is named Vince Jr., but I didn't think Vince Sr. was also a Jr. ~shrug~

wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Bugliosi

-------------------

EDIT:

From the Los Angeles Times....

"Vincent T. Bugliosi was born in Hibbing, Minn., on Aug. 18, 1934, the son of Ida and Vincent Bugliosi Sr. His father ran a small grocery store and was later employed as a railroad conductor."

Source:
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-vincent-bugliosi-20150609-story.html

Edited by David Von Pein

Not long ago, I read somewhere an argument that the Tate-Bianca murders carried out by the Manson "Family", who were prosecuted by V.B., were tied to Hollywood drug dealing -- a fact V.B. avoided for political reasons.

Does anyone here have information as to this matter?

While talking with Steve Barber on Facebook yesterday, he sent me some interesting audio clips featuring Vince Bugliosi from 2006 and 2007. These are taped telephone messages that Steve recorded on his answering machine. He's given me permission to post them wherever I like.

There's one call that exemplifies Vincent's desire to get things right (and to get quotes right), in which he wants to confirm precisely what Steve heard when listening to the Dictabelt recordings in 1979.....

Vincent Bugliosi Telephone Messages

======================================

jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2015/06/remembering-vince-bugliosi-1934-2015.html

Edited by David Von Pein

Not long ago, I read somewhere an argument that the Tate-Bianca murders carried out by the Manson "Family", who were prosecuted by V.B., were tied to Hollywood drug dealing -- a fact V.B. avoided for political reasons.

Does anyone here have information as to this matter?

I'm sure there are better sources, but the current TV show Aquarius suggests Manson provided young girls to local politicians for political favors.

... He's given me permission to post them wherever I like.

There's one call that exemplifies Vincent's desire to get things right (and to get quotes right), in which he wants to confirm precisely what Steve heard when listening to the Dictabelt recordings in 1979.....

gotta ask then, why did the Bug need ghost writers to "get things right" then?

And quite frankly, why would anyone, ANYONE think that a plastic recording disc in the back of a girlee magazine lend Barber any JFK investigative credibility at all? Bunk! Lone nut refuse... Just like Bugliosi's Reclaiming History, book publishing industry worst publishing disaster.... Nutter's are a joke!