The Education Forum

Gary Mack has passed away

Guest Duncan MacRae

It is not my job to pass judgment on Gary Mack. However, it would be disingenuous for me to pretend that he was the stalwart of moral and ethical fortitude that some here are suggesting.

If we assume that Gary was sincere when he privately claimed to believe the official version was wrong and that JFK was the victim of a conspiracy (no matter the details), then several pertinent questions are raised automatically. He apparently believed that the truth had yet to be told since he did not believe the official story.

1) Why did Gary believe that the truth had yet to be discovered and revealed?

2) Did he believe that those who have dedicated a great deal of their lives to researching the evidence and have arrived at various conclusions, some erroneous, are mostly responsible for the suppression of the truth?

3) Did he believe that the reason that the truth is yet to be known is due to erroneous beliefs held by some conspiracy theorists?

4) Did he believe that by eradicating these erroneous theories the resources of the federal government would again be spent on reopening the investigation and getting to he bottom of it?

5) Did he really believe that erroneous "conspiracy theories" were the reason the truth was not known for over 50 years and that it was his responsibility to rid the research community of these false conclusions?

6) Did he really believe that if he was successful in this (self-appointed?) mission to cleanse the research palate, that truth and justice for JFK would prevail?

7) If so: How?

So while I cannot pass judgment on Gary Mack, I'm sure that if there is a God and if Gary did have a soul, the answers to those questions might prove to be less than amusing when addressed from a position not shielded from the hot seat.

One further question: Did he believe that the reason that the truth is yet to be known is due to the efforts of the conspirators continuous promotion of the Lone Nut Theory as the 'truth'?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary made it clear to me that when the time came for him to leave the Sixth Floor Museum - he would then be able to finally write and publicly talk about his experiences there and to go into depth about what he really believed had transpired in the killing of our 35th President of the United States. There certainly would have been a lot of suprised people (especially his critics) who would have had their eyes opened to what Gary Mack really thought.

Bill, did Gary share with you what he "really thought"?

If so, I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear about it.

Thanks for asking, but I came here to respond to a thread that I believed was about the passing of Gary Mack. It's now being turned into a circus which is why I stopped wasting my time trying to reason with some of the people who participate in these discussions.

I think I still have every email I got from Gary - the endless discussions on the phone are still in my head as if they happened yesterday. What some individuals are not getting after all these years is that there were two Gary Mack's. The Gary Mack who believed there was a conspiracy and who said to me that he still stood behind the work he and Jack did on the Badgeman. But Gary also knew that only went so far and that he could not prove everything needed to say with 100% certainty that he was correct. In fact, the 6th Floor Museum wasn't keen on his participation in TMWKK concerning he and Jack's work, but it was eventually allowed. But when Gary was working as their historian on the assassination, then he had to tow a fine line, His job was then to only cite the history as it was recorded and not to allow his peronal beliefs to come into play. In our conversations he used terms like - 'don't repeat this' and/or 'this is off the record'. So what I am saying is that he had his own thoughts on the assassination that he could not allow to be known as the Curator of the 6th Floor Museum. I will say this - While I was privleged to see even a fraction of the things he had seen .... if I could have had the chance to trade places with him, then there is no way in hell I would have risked my opportunity to have access to those materials. And had Gary of lived to write a book on what he had seen and believed based on that information - I would have been buying the first copy.

Bill Miller

In fact, the 6th Floor Museum wasn't keen on his participation in TMWKK concerning he and Jack's work, but it was eventually allowed.

Wasn't TMWKK before he began working at the museum?

first two episodes of TMWKK came out in 1988, by 1995 a total of 6 were produced, the final 3 episodes were ready by 2003 (the 40th anniversary).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/gary-mack-who-helped-create-jfk-assassination-museum-dies-at-68/2015/07/17/0df89ad6-2ca2-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

Mr. Mack served as a consultant in the planning of “John F. Kennedy and the Memory of a Nation,” the exhibit that opened the Sixth Floor Museum in 1989. The museum is in the former Texas School Book Depository...

Mr. Mack joined the museum staff in 1994 as an archivist and was named curator in 2000, becoming a name and face familiar to Kennedy history buffs. He also became the voice of the museum, providing the recorded narrations to exhibits and self-guided tours.

In fact, the 6th Floor Museum wasn't keen on his participation in TMWKK concerning he and Jack's work, but it was eventually allowed.

Wasn't TMWKK before he began working at the museum?

Yes it was.

I am sorry fellow members, but I am going to close this thread.

The purpose of the thread has wandered wildly off purpose. Though that happens on other threads, and the admin do not always choose close those threads, this one was in memory of a fellow researcher.

Such debates - as have occurred on this thread in the last few days - contribute nothing to the memory of Gary Mack.

James.