The Education Forum

New Book!

Dr. Caulfield’s theory is not based on any monolithic JBS conspiracy. It is more detailed and delineated than that. It doesn’t take 900+ pages to spell that simple concept out. By the time of 11-22-63 the JBS was barely a background influence. The goal posts had been pushed way back.

Bill

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Caulfield’s theory is not based on any monolithic JBS conspiracy. It is more detailed and delineated than that. It doesn’t take 900+ pages to spell that simple concept out. By the time of 11-22-63 the JBS was barely a background influence. The goal posts had been pushed way back.

Bill

Bill,

I can't find any document in the archives about any "goal posts".

Can you give me a time frame as to when that memo went out? Who it was copied to?

Were the "goals posts" locally manufactured, or cheap Chinese imports? What were they made from?

How many Right Wingers did it take to move them?

Well shoot Greg, I don't have all the Bloody news.

:rolleyes:

;)

Bill

Bill, I hear the natives are getting restless.

I think Jeff's book is going to be the benchmark on Walker.

On another note, Ernie said earlier in this thread :

"Nobody who actually knew Edwin Walker would conclude that he had the level of intelligence or the people skills and organizational ability required to implement or facilitate (undetected) any complex event such as the assassination of the President of the United States."

Which is hearsay from unknown sources. edit. Re-reading, it's not even hearsay. It's Ernie telling us what others would say.

Here is what Dr Stubblefield said in his psych report on Walker: Walker was "functioning correctly at the superior level of intelligence"

Edited by Greg Parker

You claim xyz about the Birch society - specifically in regard to eschewing violence and violent rhetoric.

I say I agree with you. They were the "nice" public face of the extreme right.

They were the Sinn Fein to the Minutemen's IRA.

They were Hamas to Walker's Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades

Throughout the Cold War, certain politicians didn't publicly support the overthrow of foreign leaders, either.

But then you are claiming (if I understand you correctly) that (in private) the JBS (as an organization) did not eschew violence or violent rhetoric?? Let's try to break this down a bit.

1. JBS National Council

The JBS NC was (on paper) the governing body of the JBS. It met quarterly in different cities around the country. Is it your position that when the National Council met in private, they spoke about ways in which they could foment violent incidents or engage in illegal activities of some sort -- but without directly involving the JBS?

2. JBS Structure and Paid Employees

The only paid employees of the JBS were its Coordinators and Major Coordinators (and of course the administrative support staff at HQ). Local chapter and section leaders were volunteers who reported to their Coordinator. The Coordinators monitored and assisted the chapter and section leaders and they also dealt with any problems which developed at the local and state levels.

Is it your position that the professional staff of the JBS (Coordinators and Major Coordinators) encouraged chapter and section leaders to furtively engage in illegal or violent activities? Or, at a minimum, that those Coordinators were aware of member misconduct but turned a blind eye toward such behavior?

3. Dallas PD Intelligence

I forgot to ask you: where might we find a complete copy of the Dallas PD intelligence document which you referenced in your message? Can you give us a link to it?

Whom was the source of that intel?

And did DPD receive that information from more than one source? In other words, was the Intel Unit able to confirm what you claim was "quoted talk at a Walker meeting that they planned on 'dragging his (Kennedy's) dick in the dirt when he comes to Dallas.' " ??

Edited by Ernie Lazar

Robert Welch, by this time frame (late 62’ and early 63’), had managed to alienate all but his closest allies, by making extreme claims about government officials including former and current Presidents. His rank and file JBS membership were dividing into factions or deserting him for several reasons. His viewpoints differed on many key points with that of his radical members, which had given him a broad based coalition in the past. He had failed the controversial racial issues including the ‘Jewish question’, which had become a key tenant of radical belief, which held that the “Jews” were the founders and propagators of communism. Many former adherent’s to the JBS, no longer considered Welch relevant to the then current and evolving mind set, of politics on the “Right” They left to join other more hard core orgs, which embraced their agenda. Yet they were nonetheless, spawned by some of the original precepts of Welch’s dogma.

In essence, Welch had neutered his own political potency. In fact he was no longer considered a “good reference” or endorsement among many of his former followers…..especially the radical ones we are considering. The JBS as an organization did not officially condone violence or criminal activity in the name of its goals, but there were those in its membership rolls that did. Some were purged, while others were smart enough not to openly state their true beliefs, while others simply left the fold.

The radical right didn’t need or want Welch; they were headed off to their own horizon.

There are a number of statements in your message which need documentation. Merely asserting something does not make it true or accurate.

Let's begin with an obvious question: What access did you or Jeff have to JBS archival material and/or to the personal papers of major JBS figures which are archived at various universities and state historical societies?

For example:

When Sam Brenner wrote his 688-page doctoral dissertation on the "Americanist" movement (a major portion of which was devoted to the JBS) -- Sam presented a fascinating glimpse into the internal history of the JBS because he found something which no other academic or researcher had ever reported, namely, hundreds of copies of JBS "Member's Monthly Messages" which were archived in Brown University's John Hay Library. Did you or Jeff ever review any MMM's so that you could obtain an understanding of what JBS members thought about Welch, about the JBS, about other anti-communist persons and organizations, and about their status within the larger anti-communist movement?

When you make a sweeping statement regarding how Welch allegedly had "alienated all but his closest allies" by late 1962 and early 1963 -- what is that statement based upon? And how do you know that JBS membership was "dividing into factions or deserting him"? What does that mean specifically? Are you saying that the JBS was unable to recruit new members at its previous rate because of these supposed internal divisions? Are you saying that the JBS was not able to obtain significant financial support (over and above dues payments) because of internal dissension and alienation?

When you make a bold declaration that Welch's "viewpoints differed on many key points with that of his radical members..." --- what evidence is that based upon? What significant "differences" on "key points" were there in 1962-1963? How were those "differences" expressed and where did you find the evidence of them?

What do you mean by your statement that Welch "had failed the controversial racial issues including the ‘Jewish question" ?? Failed with whom? And how?

The essential point you seem to be making (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that there was some group of "radical" JBS members inside the Society who were rapidly becoming alienated against Welch's leadership and what they regarded as ineffective JBS activities (mostly letter-writing?) and because of their zeal or their desire for more "direct action" they decided to network with each other (quietly) and that resulted (ultimately) in a plot to murder JFK?? Is that what you were attempting to say?

;)

Bill

"Nobody who actually knew Edwin Walker would conclude that he had the level of intelligence or the people skills and organizational ability required to implement or facilitate (undetected) any complex event such as the assassination of the President of the United States."

Which is hearsay from unknown sources. edit. Re-reading, it's not even hearsay. It's Ernie telling us what others would say.

Here is what Dr Stubblefield said in his psych report on Walker: Walker was "functioning correctly at the superior level of intelligence"

Greg, forgive my newness, but - you're of one of them there "Walker did it" schools...?

;)

Bill

Stubblefield did not "know Walker". He met Walker for the first time in 1962 and he then was engaged in an adversarial relationship, i.e. Walker being compelled to answer "gotcha" questions which he knew could result in him being committed to a mental facility indefinitely. [incidentally, does anyone know the length of time Walker met with Stubblefield?]

What questions do you suppose Stubblefield (or any psychiatrist) might ask Walker that could produce a conclusion that Walker was "functioning correctly at the superior level of intelligence"?

Do you think questions posed would include:

"how would you go about organizing the assassination of a President?" OR

"how would you deal with multiple personalities who have their own agendas and egos, particularly when they conflict with or impede something that you want to accomplish"? OR

"how would you resolve the bitter rivalries within the anti-communist and white supremacist movements"?

Edited by Ernie Lazar

Paul - hatred is the motive? Plenty of that to go around. I prefer to think the killers had specific aims which were realized afterwards. Walker was a bad dude, to the bone, as were several others who you have called heroes, such as A. Dulles, Hoover, LeMay. Simply Paul, and everyone here sees this, your theory breaks down for one simple reason - the willingness to whitewash as many of your heroes as you can on principle. What principle is that?

Well, Paul B., that principle is simply, "Innocent Until Proven Guilty." It's a matter of proof, not of innuendo and rumor.

IMHO most CTers recognize that Lee Harvey Oswald was convicted on insufficient data, but they have no problem convicting the FBI, CIA or the Pentagon with insufficient data.

My motto is: 'Give them the benefit of the doubt until the weight of evidence itself takes them down.' It's called Reason.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Bill

I look forward to reading Dr. Caufield's full-blown theory, Bill.

It is only my own, private opinion, that Edwin Walker was intellectually overwhelmed by Robert Welch in 1959, which decided his Fate from that moment on.

The quasi-religious conviction that FDR, Truman, Eisenhower and JFK were all Communists is the best explanation, IMHO, for the murder of JFK by the only US General to resign in the 20th century.

One might argue that by 1963 Americans didn't need the JBS to argue that Washington DC was riddled with Communists. I can buy that argument. At the same time, the JBS did publish a defense of Edwin Walker's 1962 race riot at Ole Miss in 1962 (e.g. The Invasion of Mississippi, by Earl Lively, 1963).

Moreover, we have evidence from his personal papers that Edwin Walker maintained a personal correspondence with Robert Welch well past 1963.

Finally, the JBS was not finished in 1963, or even in 1964, since Revilo P. Oliver was the final witness before the Warren Commission, and he took the time to argue carefully that the JFK assassination was a conspiracy of the Communists. His article underscoring his testimony was entitled, Marxmanship in Dallas (1963).

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Ernie, Your last paragraph is closest to my point;

"The essential point you seem to be making (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that there was some group of "radical" JBS members inside the Society who were rapidly becoming alienated against Welch's leadership and what they regarded as ineffective JBS activities (mostly letter-writing?) and because of their zeal or their desire for more "direct action" they decided to network with each other (quietly) and that resulted (ultimately) in a plot to murder JFK?? Is that what you were attempting to say?".

There is ample evidence that is out there which confirms that many were indeed alienated. For example;

Welch himself was becoming alarmed at Edwin Walkers association with Radicals. Mary Surrey was the founder and president of the Dallas JBS: Husband Robert Surrey (and Walker’s top aide) was the Secretary Treasurer (he was also head of the Dallas American Nazi Party.) In that regard;

Welch expressed his concern about whom Walker was getting advice from.

HL Hunt security chief Paul Rothermel told Caufield that he spoke at a meeting of the Dallas JBS that was held at Austin’s Barbecue. Rothermel felt he did not please the crowd because he was “not right wing enough.”

Like with the "Minutemen", there were members who split off to either form their own groups or join existing ones more suitable to their agenda. De Pugh talked about this with William Turner I believe, about some of his former members going rogue. Caufield talked with him also.

There was a great deal more activity involved with the JBS than mere "letter writing" I can assure you.

We traveled all over the country for the last 12-13 yrs. searching out University Historical collections, documents, witnesses and political ephemera, from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, California, Oregon, Wisconsin and Washington DC, and God I can’t even remember now. It doesn’t make us right. But we definitely did our due diligence to get at the truth.

I don't have the time right now to elaborate on all of your questions, sorry.

I can't reproduce the book's citations here on the Forum either.

If you wish to reject this viewpoint, that's OK too.

Bill

Ernie, Your last paragraph is closest to my point;

"The essential point you seem to be making (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that there was some group of "radical" JBS members inside the Society who were rapidly becoming alienated against Welch's leadership and what they regarded as ineffective JBS activities (mostly letter-writing?) and because of their zeal or their desire for more "direct action" they decided to network with each other (quietly) and that resulted (ultimately) in a plot to murder JFK?? Is that what you were attempting to say?".

There is ample evidence that is out there which confirms that many were indeed alienated. For example;

Welch himself was becoming alarmed at Edwin Walkers association with Radicals. Mary Surrey was the founder and president of the Dallas JBS: Husband Robert Surrey (and Walker’s top aide) was the Secretary Treasurer (he was also head of the Dallas American Nazi Party.) In that regard;

Welch expressed his concern about whom Walker was getting advice from.

HL Hunt security chief Paul Rothermel told Caufield that he spoke at a meeting of the Dallas JBS that was held at Austin’s Barbecue. Rothermel felt he did not please the crowd because he was “not right wing enough.”

Like with the "Minutemen", there were members who split off to either form their own groups or join existing ones more suitable to their agenda. De Pugh talked about this with William Turner I believe, about some of his former members going rogue. Caufield talked with him also.

There was a great deal more activity involved with the JBS than mere "letter writing" I can assure you.

We traveled all over the country for the last 12-13 yrs. searching out University Historical collections, documents, witnesses and political ephemera, from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, California, Oregon, Wisconsin and Washington DC, and God I can’t even remember now. It doesn’t make us right. But we definitely did our due diligence to get at the truth.

I don't have the time right now to elaborate on all of your questions, sorry.

I can't reproduce the book's citations here on the Forum either.

If you wish to reject this viewpoint, that's OK too.

Bill

Bill, while I respect your opinions and judgments, I do not think there is really much credible evidence to support a general conclusion that there was a lot of alienation within the JBS.

Significantly, the first crisis which the JBS faced was when the content of The Politician became public knowledge (starting in July 1960 as a result of Jack Mabley's newspaper articles the in Chicago Daily News while the GOP was in town to select its Presidential candidate) and then more widely as the result of wire service articles in March-April 1961 when most newspapers in the country started reporting upon Welch's comments and about the JBS on a daily basis -- but there does not appear to have been much adverse effect on the JBS internally. There were very few resignations and the JBS continued to grow exponentially.

In September 1960, Robert Welch told his National Council that the JBS had 324 chapters and 5300 members. In the December 1960 JBS Bulletin, page 4, Robert Welch declared that "we have been doubling in size approximately once every four months" (i.e. growing 25% per month) -- and this was produced even after the initial revelations regarding The Politician in July.
According to the financial statement filed by the JBS with Massachusetts, its 1962 dues income was $296,326. At that time, annual dues were $24 for men and $12 for women. If one uses an average of $18 that would mean that there were approximately 16,462 JBS members by the end of 1962.
I don't think Sam Brenner discovered anything in the Member's Monthly Messages to support your contention about significant alienation by rank-and-file within the JBS. However, I do agree (as I have previously stated) that there was concern within the National Council about the damage being done to the JBS by its association with Welch's personal comments regarding Eisenhower. Furthermore, it was in 1962-1963 that mainstream conservatives (particularly the Buckley crowd) started distancing themselves from Welch. It was in 1962 that Sen. Barry Goldwater made the following observations about a February 1962 article in National Review magazine:
“I think you have clearly stated the problem which Mr. Welch’s continued leadership of the John Birch Society poses for sincere conservatives. . . . Mr. Welch is only one man, and I do not believe his views, far removed from reality and common sense as they are, represent the feelings of most members of the John Birch Society. . . . Because of this, I believe the best thing Mr. Welch could do to serve the cause of anti-Communism in the United States would be to resign. . . . We cannot allow the emblem of irresponsibility to attach to the conservative banner.”
However, Goldwater was mistaken. "Most members of the JBS" did support Welch -- which is probably why Welch felt comfortable ignoring the advice of several members of his National Council who had suggested that he step down as leader of the JBS and assume a figurehead role only.
If anything, there seems to have been an inverse relationship between the volume of attacks upon Welch/JBS and the resulting internal support for Welch. As more and more conservative politicians and opinion-molders condemned Welch and/or the JBS -- JBS members seemed compelled to rally around Welch and renew their support for his continued leadership. This also applied to JBS National Council members. Some (like Coleman Andrews) had considered resigning but then changed their mind.
EDWIN WALKER: It is important to remember that Walker was not an official or employee of the JBS. He was simply a prominent member who got lots of news coverage. it is correct that many Walker admirers were disappointed with Welch when he rejected their calls for mounting a major defense of Walker by the JBS but this seems to have been a minor irritation that quickly passed. It would be wrong to suggest that there is any evidence that the JBS in Dallas revolved around Mary and Robert Surrey or that their "alienation" from Welch or the JBS represented any serious problem for Welch or the JBS. They were fringe personalities.
ROTHERMEL: He became an FBI Special Agent but his career was very short. In 1953, he was censured for not preparing a summary report on an internal security case assigned to him. He retired the next year and became Security Chief for Hunt Oil Company. I have his FBI file but I don't see anything that indicates he had much of a role in JBS activities.
SPLINTER GROUPS: Yes, highly ideological groups are very susceptible to major schisms because, often, they portray themselves as possessing some Ultimate Final Truth -- which means that alternative views are not welcomed and, instead, such views are de-valued or suppressed which leads to hostility and a desire to "either form their own groups or join existing ones more suitable to their agenda". It is certainly correct to point out that many people "graduated" from the JBS and formed their own organizations. Sometimes this was an amicable departure; other times not.
There are numerous examples of prominent JBS members whose resignation letters include very bitter and hostile comments toward Welch and the JBS and/or about post-Welch leadership. I posted over 100 pages of letters by JBS internal critics on Internet Archive including some real doozies from members like Gary Allen:
ARCHIVES: Despite my personal skepticism regarding any direct connection between Edwin Walker and JFK's murder and even less credence which I give to claims of involvement by the JBS, I think one major (and largely virgin) territory for further research are the personal papers of right-wing figures which are archived at universities around the country. Of particular interest are the papers at University of Oregon because so many of them are JBS-related including documents pertaining to Walker's relationships with some very shady characters.
Many years ago, I created a webpage to suggest archival materials which should be reviewed but my list barely scratches the surface:

The issue which Paul Trejo and I have debated is whether or not Robert Welch or the JBS supported anyone who planned or facilitated murder or any other illegal activity. We know that when the JBS discovered neo-nazis, Klan members, and Minutemen in its ranks -- it terminated their membership.

A lot of things are done for show. A lot of groups on both sides of politics are presented as the "cleanskin" public face of the left or the right. The dirty stuff is done by other groups. That's how it works. The IRA carried out the bombings, Sinn Fein carried out the politics. We see similar things in the Middle East.

The two demonstrators who were involved in Stevenson incidents were expelled from several groups - including Walker's! Yet DPD intelligence had quoted talk at a Walker meeting that they planned on "dragging his (Kennedy's) dick in the dirt when he comes to Dallas." That is a euphemism for dragging a dead body away from the scene of a gun fight or ambush.

Do you honestly believe that Hatfield and Fredrickson were expelled by any groups for any reason other than public show?

There is no way to answer your question to your satisfaction because there is no factual evidence upon which to base a conclusion. If you have some documentary evidence which establishes that Hatfield and Fredrickson were not dropped but, instead, continued to be members -- I certainly would like to see it. OR if you have some other evidence which proves that the JBS (as an organization) encouraged or directed Hatfield or Fredrickson to assault Stevenson -- I would be happy to see that too.

Perhaps you have statements by other members of the Friends of Walker group to support your innuendo?? Do you have anything from:

William Drew Fitzwilliams, Bill Waller, William Ivan Snodgrass, Pat Brady, Michael Ray Bowlin, Bill Calhoun, Leslie Tooker, Ronnie Beall and Rusty Williford, William McCune Duff, Mrs. Beth Rachel, Cliff Roberts, William Keester, or Julia Knecht??

OR

Maybe you have some statements or other evidence from members of the Indignant White Citizens Council such as Bob or William Joiner, Claude Binder, Earl Thornton. L.M. Edmunds, Roy Davis Jr., or Mrs. Addie Frazier??

OR perhaps something else?

Hi Ernie,

Is this the Reverend Roy Davis as mentioned by Joseph Milteer and head of the Dallas KKK?

Dave

The issue which Paul Trejo and I have debated is whether or not Robert Welch or the JBS supported anyone who planned or facilitated murder or any other illegal activity. We know that when the JBS discovered neo-nazis, Klan members, and Minutemen in its ranks -- it terminated their membership.

A lot of things are done for show. A lot of groups on both sides of politics are presented as the "cleanskin" public face of the left or the right. The dirty stuff is done by other groups. That's how it works. The IRA carried out the bombings, Sinn Fein carried out the politics. We see similar things in the Middle East.

The two demonstrators who were involved in Stevenson incidents were expelled from several groups - including Walker's! Yet DPD intelligence had quoted talk at a Walker meeting that they planned on "dragging his (Kennedy's) dick in the dirt when he comes to Dallas." That is a euphemism for dragging a dead body away from the scene of a gun fight or ambush.

Do you honestly believe that Hatfield and Fredrickson were expelled by any groups for any reason other than public show?

There is no way to answer your question to your satisfaction because there is no factual evidence upon which to base a conclusion. If you have some documentary evidence which establishes that Hatfield and Fredrickson were not dropped but, instead, continued to be members -- I certainly would like to see it. OR if you have some other evidence which proves that the JBS (as an organization) encouraged or directed Hatfield or Fredrickson to assault Stevenson -- I would be happy to see that too.

Perhaps you have statements by other members of the Friends of Walker group to support your innuendo?? Do you have anything from:

William Drew Fitzwilliams, Bill Waller, William Ivan Snodgrass, Pat Brady, Michael Ray Bowlin, Bill Calhoun, Leslie Tooker, Ronnie Beall and Rusty Williford, William McCune Duff, Mrs. Beth Rachel, Cliff Roberts, William Keester, or Julia Knecht??

OR

Maybe you have some statements or other evidence from members of the Indignant White Citizens Council such as Bob or William Joiner, Claude Binder, Earl Thornton. L.M. Edmunds, Roy Davis Jr., or Mrs. Addie Frazier??

Hi Ernie,

Is this the Reverend Roy Davis as mentioned by Joseph Milteer and head of the Dallas KKK?

Dave

Dave: Unfortunately, all of my paper files have been donated to Internet Archive so I have no way to check on Davis. My only current recollection re: Milteer and KKK concerns Jack Brown (KKK in Chatanooga TN).

OR

Hi Ernie,

Dave

CORRECTION: My FBI file on Citizens Councils-Dallas does identify Davis as "Grand Dragon, US Klans, Knights of the KKK, Realm of Texas" and he was elected President of the Oak Cliff Citizens Council in June 1958.