The Education Forum

The Real Ruth and Michael Paine

I know nothing about George Bouhe. I do know that if he were controlling Ruth Paine on behalf of an intelligence agency, both he and Ruth would have a pretext for their meetings and communications. That pretext would be a cover story. I also know that Bouhe would have an invisible link to his handler.

A good source on George Bouhe would be the WC testimony of White Russian elder, Ilya Mamantov.

George Bouhe lived modestly, but he was a leader in the Dallas White Russian Community. George tried to keep the White Russians together. He was from Minsk, originally, and that is one reason he especially favored Marina Oswald.

George Bouhe worked overtime to ensure that the Dallas Russian Exile community had a Russian Orthodox Church in Dallas. He first helped organize it in one of their houses, with an official priest and a small congregation, and they collected enough donations to finally acquire a structure in Dallas.

Marina Oswald secretly got baby June baptized in the Russian Orthodox Church there in Dallas (IIRC) -- very likely under the auspices of George Bouhe.

George Bouhe paid for some emergency dental work for Marina Oswald. He also collected many, many donations of clothes for Marina, and toys for baby June, and a crib and a stroller. Jeanne DeMohrenschildt thought he was going too far.

George Bouhe was also worried about Marina Oswald when the White Russians reported seeing bruises on her face. He led the charge to remove Marina from Oswald, and George De Mohrenschildt was really a follower in that action -- not the leader.

LHO was not happy with George Bouhe, and evidently threatened him, because George Bouhe was afraid of LHO, as he confessed to George De Mohrenschildt. Among the White Russians, only George De Mohrenschildt could control LHO.

George Bouhe would have preferred to kick LHO out of Texas, and keep Marina Oswald in Texas for himself -- that's my impression.

But read Ilya Mamantov's personal account of George Bouhe, and his great respect for him -- and contrast this with Mamantov's general dislike of George De Mohrenschildt, whom he regarded as a frivolous playboy.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Oh I see the Oswald's had enough that she needed to borrow a pickup truck to haul it all. Much like Gary needed to rent a trailer to haul it all.

Your point is showing, I suggest a hat.

Dasvidanya,

Ed

Ed, I already explained that one couldn't just use a regular car to transport three adults and a baby, as well as all the clothing that LHO and Marina had, plus a baby crib and a baby stroller.

You can't use a car for all that. You need more.

Larry Hancock's comments on this topic are also relevant here -- the old-fashioned baby stuff wasn't foldable like today's.

You needed more than just a car.

But that doesn't mean they had FURNITURE. Nobody , not one person, not even the affidavit you provided, in fact NOTHING that you provided, suggests that the Oswalds had a bedroom set, a living room set or a dining room set. NO ACTUAL FURNITURE OF ANY KIND WAS EVER DESCRIBED BY ANYBODY.

But like Jeanne and George DeMohrenschildt implied, George Bouhe was so infatuated with Marina Oswald that he went overboard in collecting charity for her, and they said (if they weren't exaggerating) that they collected A HUNDRED DRESSES for Marina.

Even if you stuffed them all in office boxes, you'd probably need twenty office boxes for a hundred slim dresses. You can't fit that in a car. So they had stuff -- JUST NO FURNITURE.

Nor did Gary Taylor say that they had "Furniture." Nor did ANYBODY ELSE. So, where did you get the idea?

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Exactly, well sort of,

"the old-fashioned baby stuff wasn't foldable"

So Lee tossed it on a pram, stuff that wouldn't fit on/in a car(how big?) or trunk? Others say they needed a truck and trailer to move their "Furnishings"

Furnishings: an object that tends to increase comfort or utility; especially : an article of furniture for the interior of a building —usually used in plural

Asta la vista Trejo,

Ed

Exactly, well sort of,

"the old-fashioned baby stuff wasn't foldable"

So Lee tossed it on a pram, stuff that wouldn't fit on/in a car(how big?) or trunk? Others say they needed a truck and trailer to move their "Furnishings"

Furnishings: an object that tends to increase comfort or utility; especially : an article of furniture for the interior of a building —usually used in plural

Asta la vista Trejo,

Ed

Well, all you have is guesswork, Ed, because you don't have a list or any description of FURNITURE.

Furnishings: "an object that tends to increase comfort or utility," like a baby crib, or a baby stroller.

That's really all anybody ever described, Ed. You don't have any harder evidence than guesswork.

BTW, for a fuller property list, one might seek the property that the FBI and Secret Service confiscated for Marina Oswald from the Paine residence in Irving, Texas -- because that's everything the Oswald's possessed in November 1963.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Regarding the personal property of LHO and Marina Oswald, we have evidence that Ruth Paine moved their belongings three times with her station wagon.

The first time was on April 24, 1963, when LHO was leaving for New Orleans, and he decided to leave Marina and baby June behind until he found work and an apartment. He was going to leave her at their Neely Street residence. When Ruth came over for her regularly scheduled visit to Marina, LHO was all packed up and asked Ruth to take his luggage to the Greyhound terminal for him. Ruth said OK.

Ruth describes LHO's luggage for that trip in her WC testimony of March 18, 1964 (WC vol. II, p. 430). I'll summarize it briefly here:

------------ BEGIN SUMMARY OF PART OF RUTH PAINE'S WC TESTIMONY OF 3/18/1964 --------------------

To the very best of my recollection, the pieces of luggage Lee had on that occasion, what they looked like, their shape and form, were as follows.

So, he had two large Marine duffel-bags with his name on them, and probably his Marine serial number. Each was marked with a good deal of white paint. Each stood quite high when upended, perhaps four feet high. I assumed them to be both full of clothes, very rounded. There was nothing in either duffel-bag that led me at that time to even think for an instant that there was anything long, slim and hard like a rifle. Yet I did not touch these bags or move them. I am only judging by sight. The circumference was fairly smooth, like clothing – but not any hard surface

The diameter of these duffel-bags was about 18 or 20 inches across. In addition to the two duffel-bags there were probably three suitcases and a small radio bought in Russia. Two or three, and a large soft-sided suitcase; a zipper case made of canvas. It stood about 15 inches high, and about 25 inches long; a generous sized zipper case. With generally green canvas and leather, dark-colored leather; dark brown, I guess, or black, certainly very dark. It appeared to be well packed.

------------ END SUMMARY OF PART OF RUTH PAINE'S WC TESTIMONY OF 3/18/1964 --------------------

But Ruth Paine didn't like the idea of Marina Oswald waiting around in Dallas for LHO's letter, and then trying to move all the rest of their personal property to the bus station -- even if Ruth helped her. So, Ruth offered to let Marina live with her in Irving, Texas, for a couple of weeks, until LHO was ready, and then he could use Ruth's phone to call Marina when he was ready for her. LHO agreed.

So, they went back to the Neely residence and LHO and Ruth loaded the rest of their property in her station wagon. In that same testimony, Ruth described what she moved for the Oswalds -- which amounted to all of their personal property that day, I will summarize again, but feel free to read Ruth's words directly:

------------ BEGIN SUMMARY-2 OF PART OF RUTH PAINE'S WC TESTIMONY OF 3/18/1964 --------------------

The things still in the apartment were a crib, playpen, baby stroller, some dishes, some clothing. We loaded that into my station wagon, and then I drove with Marina and June and my two children back to my house, and Lee stayed at their apartment. He was scheduled to leave by city bus and an interstate bus that evening.

------------ END SUMMARY-2 OF PART OF RUTH PAINE'S WC TESTIMONY OF 3/18/1964 --------------------

So, that was the first time Ruth Paine moved all the Oswald belongings -- but that was in two trips; first to the Greyhound station for LHO's two Marine duffel bags, and a few suitcases and a radio, and secondly for Marina's belongings: "a crib, playpen, baby stroller, some dishes, some clothing."

The second time was on May 11th, after LHO called Marina on the telephone, telling her that he was ready for her. Ruth and Marina loaded her station wagon with the same things that Ruth and LHO had loaded 16 days earlier, namely, "a crib, playpen, baby stroller, some dishes, some clothing."

The third time Ruth Paine moved the Oswald's possessions, it was VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING except those few things that LHO kept with himself. Ruth didn't pry into what those were. This was on September 22nd, when Ruth took the waddling pregnant Marina back to Texas from New Orleans, so that she could have her baby in safety.

At this time, LHO did most of the loading, but Ruth observed closely, and helped here and there, and helped tie it up. (Ruth had a rack on top of her station wagon -- which was common in those days.) Ruth testified to this on March 19, 1964, to the Warren Commission (WC vol. III, p. 1). I will summarize this below, but please feel free to read Ruth's testimony directly:

------------ BEGIN SUMMARY OF PART OF RUTH PAINE'S WC TESTIMONY OF 3/19/1964 --------------------

Regarding Lee Harvey Oswald quite actively packing of household wares or goods that were being taken back to Irving, Texas, I was present for most if not all of that time when the station wagon was loaded with the various materials. Lee put the things in. I knew that we would spend one night on the road, that there were certain things we would have to get to, and I knew where these were, and he didn’t, so that I talked about where these things should be placed, and helped with some of the binding, tying things to the boat on the car rack on top of the station wagon.

As for the luggage placed in the station wagon, there were again the two large duffels which were heavier than I could move. Lee put those in. They were again stuffed full, a rumply outside; no appearance of any hard object pushing outwards against the sides or ends of the duffel bags. I saw nothing with respect to those duffel bags which might have led me to believe there was any board in it, a tent pole, a long object, or hard. Nothing at all. In addition to these there were again the same suitcases, 2 or perhaps 3, counting a quite small one, and a little radio.

I do not recall any separate long package of any kind. There was no separate package of any character wrapped in a blanket. I saw no long rectangular package of any kind or character loaded in or placed in my station wagon. When I arrived in Irving, Texas, Marina and I unpacked my station wagon, with the exception of the duffels. (Michael had to move those heavy bags.)

Regarding the blanket CE-140, my best recollection is that I saw it on the floor of my garage sometime in late October, 1963. I have no recollection of ever having seen it before that time. I never picked up the blanket or looked at it closely. I never turned it over. I didn’t move it. I saw only one surface more or less; except I saw that it had been moved, but I didn’t move it myself.

I first saw it in my garage, after the time that Marina and I had returned to Irving. I am certain that I did not see the blanket in my station wagon when I arrived in Irving. I don’t recall seeing it in their apartment at 4907 Magazine Street when I was there, either in the spring or in the fall.

------------ END SUMMARY OF PART OF RUTH PAINE'S WC TESTIMONY OF 3/19/1964 --------------------

The WC attorneys were most interested in how the infamous Mannlicher-Carcano rifle appeared in Ruth Paine's garage, and whether she deliberately transported it herself, across State Lines. But in the meantime Ruth described the things that she moved for the Oswalds -- and as we see once again, there is no mention of "furniture" in the ordinary sense. The heaviest objects she mentioned were two Marine duffel bags.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

"the old-fashioned baby stuff wasn't foldable like today's. You needed more than just a car." - Trejo

Gosh thanks I was not aware, I was under the impression it was:

Description (OCR text may contain errors)

June 25, 1963 K. LUTES 3,094,714

' FOLDING BABY CRIB Filed June 23, 1960 2 Sheetsv-Shee't 1 ill INVENTOR KEENE LUTES DECEASED,

BY JOSEPH C. LEWIS, ADMINISTRATOR ATTOQ N EYS June 25, 1963 K. LUTES FOLDING BABY CRIB 2 Sheets-Sheet 2 Filed June 23. 1960 INVENTOR KEENE LUTES, DECEASED, BY JOSEPH C. LEWIS, ADMINISTRATOR AT TO RN EYS direct and mesne assignments, to Russell Yealey, Walton, Ky.

Substitute for abandoned application Ser. No. 177,722, Aug. 4, 1950. This application June 23, 1960, Ser. N

3 Claims. (Cl. 99)

This invention relates to folding beds, and more particularly to an improved folding baby crib.

The present application is a substitute for patent application Serial No. 177,722, filed August 4, 1950, now abandoned.

A main object of the invention is to provide a novel and improved folding childs bed which is very simple in construction, which is easy to fold to collapsed position or to unfold to a usable position, and which is very sturdy in construction.

A further object of the invention is to provide an improved foldable childs bed which may be employed either as a crib or as a rockable cradle, the bed being foldable to a very compact bulk, being relatively inexpensive to manufacture and being readily transportable.

https://www.google.com/patents/US3094714?dq=foldable+crib+1960&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHioGo2NfKAhUB7GMKHVZEBFcQ6AEIHTAA

and

https://www.etsy.com/listing/200710382/portable-baby-crib-vintage-bed-folding?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-home_and_living-furniture-kids_furniture&utm_custom1=055defe8-cc17-40d8-8bba-e0de3fcec871&gclid=CJi3xtjx2coCFYlafgodrM0AvA

or

https://www.etsy.com/listing/207426889/vintage-wood-playpen-vintage-portable

or

http://vintage-ads.livejournal.com/3189339.html

or

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/106302023/vintage-wood-portable-crib-by-port-a

But what would I know. Although it looks like your theory has crib death.

"the old-fashioned baby stuff wasn't foldable like today's. You needed more than just a car." - Trejo

Gosh thanks I was not aware, I was under the impression it was:

Description (OCR text may contain errors)

June 25, 1963 K. LUTES 3,094,714

' FOLDING BABY CRIB Filed June 23, 1960 2 Sheetsv-Shee't 1 ill INVENTOR KEENE LUTES DECEASED,

BY JOSEPH C. LEWIS, ADMINISTRATOR ATTOQ N EYS June 25, 1963 K. LUTES FOLDING BABY CRIB 2 Sheets-Sheet 2 Filed June 23. 1960 INVENTOR KEENE LUTES, DECEASED, BY JOSEPH C. LEWIS, ADMINISTRATOR AT TO RN EYS direct and mesne assignments, to Russell Yealey, Walton, Ky.

Substitute for abandoned application Ser. No. 177,722, Aug. 4, 1950. This application June 23, 1960, Ser. N

3 Claims. (Cl. 99)

This invention relates to folding beds, and more particularly to an improved folding baby crib.

The present application is a substitute for patent application Serial No. 177,722, filed August 4, 1950, now abandoned.

A main object of the invention is to provide a novel and improved folding childs bed which is very simple in construction, which is easy to fold to collapsed position or to unfold to a usable position, and which is very sturdy in construction.

A further object of the invention is to provide an improved foldable childs bed which may be employed either as a crib or as a rockable cradle, the bed being foldable to a very compact bulk, being relatively inexpensive to manufacture and being readily transportable.

https://www.google.com/patents/US3094714?dq=foldable+crib+1960&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHioGo2NfKAhUB7GMKHVZEBFcQ6AEIHTAA

and

https://www.etsy.com/listing/200710382/portable-baby-crib-vintage-bed-folding?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-home_and_living-furniture-kids_furniture&utm_custom1=055defe8-cc17-40d8-8bba-e0de3fcec871&gclid=CJi3xtjx2coCFYlafgodrM0AvA

or

https://www.etsy.com/listing/207426889/vintage-wood-playpen-vintage-portable

or

http://vintage-ads.livejournal.com/3189339.html

or

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/106302023/vintage-wood-portable-crib-by-port-a

But what would I know. Although it looks like your theory has crib death.

Well, Ed, you asked for citations about the Oswald's not having any furniture, and I gave you several citations.

But instead you want to argue about whether baby cribs can fold?

You really didn't want those citations you asked for, did you?

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul Trejo #278 (about 10 pages ago),

I don't want to harp on this issue that seems so small: about the baggage-handler job offer at Love Field that Ruth withheld from both Lee and Marina.

You say, "Ruth wasn't beholden to LHO...(He) now had a job. Period. That was the goal, not to be LHO's personal servant."

This is illogical on the face of it. IF RP cared so much about Lee supporting his family, then a much better-paying job is much more support. In today's money, it's the difference between making $7.50/hour and making $10.00 an hour. That's all the difference in the world at the poverty level. Not to mention that a job at an airport has much more potential for advancement compared to a job moving school books from one box to another. How much trouble is this one sentence, "TEC called about an opening at the airport as a baggage-handler."?!? If she were ever going to give Lee a message, that would be at the top of the list. And she not only did not tell Lee, she never told Marina about it. I've seen countless lies of omission like this, in work and social situations. Every time, there is an ulterior motive for keeping this information away from someone who assumes it is forthcoming. Sort of a hidden manipulation.

Ever since early October, when LHO came back to the Dallas area from his sojourn In Nawlins and (maybe) Mexico City, he had made numerous inquiries. One avenue paid off but it was ruthlessly withheld. I wouldn't treat a dog like that.

Edited by Roy Wieselquist

I don't want to harp on this issue that seems so small: about the baggage-handler job offer at Love Field that Ruth withheld from both Lee and Marina.

You say, "Ruth wasn't beholden to LHO...(He) now had a job. Period. That was the goal, not to be LHO's personal servant."

This is illogical on the face of it. IF RP cared so much about Lee supporting his family, then a much better-paying job is much more support. In today's money, it's the difference between making $7.50/hour and making $10.00 an hour. That's all the difference in the world at the poverty level. Not to mention that a job at an airport has much more potential for advancement compared to a job moving school books from one box to another. How much trouble is this one sentence, "TEC called about an opening at the airport as a baggage-handler."?!? If she were ever going to give Lee a message, that would be at the top of the list. And she not only did not tell Lee, she never told Marina about it. I've seen countless lies of omission like this, in work and social situations. Every time, there is an ulterior motive for keeping this information away from someone who assumes it is forthcoming. Sort of a hidden manipulation.

Ever since early October, when LHO came back to the Dallas area from his sojourn In Nawlins and (maybe) Mexico City, he had made numerous inquiries. One avenue paid off but it was ruthlessly withheld. I wouldn't treat a dog like that.

Well, Roy, don't you see that Ruth really did have Oswald's best interest in mind?

She didn't want him to have to breathe those noxious airplane fumes.

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

Well, Roy, don't you see that Ruth really did have Oswald's best interest in mind?

She didn't want him to have to breathe a lot of those noxious airplane fumes.

--Tommy :sun

I feel really sure, Tommy, that you have more to offer than wisecracks here. It's been a long time.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Well, Roy, you think that Ruth Paine owed something to LHO, evidently -- but Ruth Paine didn't.

By the way -- there's no evidence that Ruth Paine even paid any attention whatsoever to the TEC agent. There's no evidence that she spoke to him at all, except to say, "Lee already has a job. Goodbye."

You presume that Ruth Paine "cared so much about Lee supporting his family," but that wasn't Ruth's main concern. Ruth's main concern, especially during October 1963, was that Marina get medical care for her upcoming childbirth. Also, there was the care for baby June.

LHO was acting leechy, and Ruth mentioned it in her WC testimony.

Also -- consider this. If LHO got a job anywhere else than the TSBD building, then since LHO didn't have a car (or even a driver's license) then how would he get to work?

Remember that on April 24th, Ruth came over to visit Marina, and LHO was all packed up to go to New Orleans, and hoped that Ruth would give him and his luggage a ride to the Greyhound bus terminal. SURPRISE!

Ruth observed that LHO waited for her, because she "was a free ride, unlike a taxi."

So -- if LHO got a job elsewhere than the TSBD, is it not a plausibility that LHO would be nagging Ruth Paine for rides -- CONTINUALLY? Even rides to work??

One of the conveniences of the TSBD job, for Ruth, was that her neighbor's brother worked there, and he had a car, and was willing to give LHO free rides to and from work on weekends.

Ruth was just glad to get LHO out of her hair. Ruth had offered to take care of MARINA and her upcoming baby, perhaps through Christmas, but no later than the end of January, because Ruth wanted her mother to come and live with her in February or March.

This was a temporary thing for MARINA, who was pregnant, and had NO INSURANCE and her husband was UNEMPLOYED.

The charity was for MARINA -- not for LHO.

Still, LHO just made himself at home, without asking. He just came over on weekends for free food, and to watch TV. Sure, he eventually got around to helping around the house -- but as Ruth noticed, he never brought food over for his family, for himself, or ANYBODY. He never gave her a NICKEL for anything, ever.

Also, LHO just started sending his expensive Russian magazine subscriptions to Ruth Paine's address -- WITHOUT ASKING HER.

Sorry, but I've been in leechy-neighbor situations before, and I know the drill. You offer an inch and they take a mile.

Ruth Paine had LHO's number. He would have taken over her house if she wasn't careful. RUTH DIDN'T OWE LHO ANYTHING. On the contrary.

Good questions, though, Roy.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Good post Roy. Appropriate questions which Trejo cannot wriggle out of. Ruth at first 'forgot' about the job offer, then later remembered and said maybe Lee told her. Mr. Adams from the Texas Employment Commission was quite clear - he called twice on successive days. You cannot wriggle out by psychoanalyzing what was important to Ruth and what wasn't. She failed to pass on the message to either Oswald, something you simply do not do for any reason or by any reasoning.

Good post Roy. Appropriate questions which Trejo cannot wriggle out of. Ruth at first 'forgot' about the job offer, then later remembered and said maybe Lee told her. Mr. Adams from the Texas Employment Commission was quite clear - he called twice on successive days. You cannot wriggle out by psychoanalyzing what was important to Ruth and what wasn't. She failed to pass on the message to either Oswald, something you simply do not do for any reason or by any reasoning.

Not at all, Paul B. Instead, Ruth Paine completely answered the questions raised by the TEC employee. There were two calls about the airport luggage handler job. The first call was made when nobody was home. You can't make anything out of that, even if you try.

The second call was made when LHO was already at work. Ruth Paine got the call -- didn't take a message, and just told the TEC guy that LHO was now working, so goodbye. There's nothing more that needs to be said. No wonder Ruth Paine forgot about it. It's eminently forgettable.

Roy's point was that Ruth Paine owed LHO more effort in increasing his income. That's where we disagree.

Clearly, as Fate turned out (everybody has 20-20 vision in hindsight) it might have been better for LHO if he had not been at the TSBD that day -- because then the Real JFK Killers would have had to come up with another plan. But to blame Ruth Paine for not helping LHO get a better job, at a time when she was already taking care of his wife and his new baby -- well, that could be regarded as mean-spirited (as we see in Carol Hewett and her followers).

By the way -- let me speculate about what would have happened if LHO had been working at the airport.

(1) The JFK Killers (whom LHO trusted so well) would still have got ahold of LHO's rifle -- in the same way -- just by LHO handing it over to them as he did on the morning of 11/22/1963.

(2) Around the time of the JFK murder, the JFK Killers would have lured LHO into some public place that afternoon, and just killed LHO in cold blood.

(3) They had LHO's rifle, they had LHO's FPCC history in New Orleans in police records, in newspaper, radio and television, and they also had LHO in Mexico City (allegedly) trying to contact KGB Agent Valerie Kostikov -- all from Guy Banister and his Team.

(4) They would have blamed LHO anyway -- and they would have gotten away with it anyway. It had been planned for months.

(5) The JFK Killers would have been hailed as heroes for killing LHO.

(6) The whole Ruth Paine and TSBD episode was merely a lucky break for the JFK Killers. Ruth Paine was clueless about them.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Paul Trejo,

Are you certain you can describe in detail the nature of Ruth Paine's relationship with Marina's husband?

I can't. And I wonder what they thought about each other while both were living.

We find Oswald in Will Fritz's interrogation notes defending Ruth Paine prematurely when a station wagon similar to hers is brought up in questioning - but Oswald's verbosity suggests he was actually trying to inculpate her, or at least drag her name in as some kind of character reference for his intelligence work: "Now everybody will know who I am."