The Education Forum

PRAYER PERSON - PRAYER MAN OR PRAYER WOMAN? RESEARCH THREAD

Guest Duncan MacRae

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Andrej Stancak said:

would it be possible to draw a contour around the alleged woman's body?

To me it looks as if the person with the foot is standing sideways (facing towards the left as we see it). With that in mind I knocked up the following to help explain what I am seeing. I still can't spot her head though!

headless woman.JPG

If she was facing sideways then I feel that at least part of her face would be visible (as she has to be standing in an are that the sun would be hitting). The only thing I can think of just now then is that even though she is standing sideways her head is turned more to the back and he black hair is lost amongst the darkness of Prayer Man's torso.

Alternatively - there is NO woman there and the 'foot' isn't a foot, it's the sun hitting the steps. Have a look at the gif posted above and watch the 'woman in white' climb the stairs and watch the 'shadow' on the steps.... ;)

25 minutes ago, Alistair Briggs said:

Prayermangif3.gif

The woman seemingly dressed in all white does appear to walk up the steps like there is no person in front of her.

Now that I've looked at a number of versions of this clip, it looks to me like the blackness in front of PM is just darkness from the shade.

But I don't see the "girth" in PM that others here say they see.

8 minutes ago, Alistair Briggs said:

To me it looks as if the person with the foot is standing sideways (facing towards the left as we see it). With that in mind I knocked up the following to help explain what I am seeing. I still can't spot her head though!

headless woman.JPG

If she was facing sideways then I feel that at least part of her face would be visible (as she has to be standing in an are that the sun would be hitting). The only thing I can think of just now then is that even though she is standing sideways her head is turned more to the back and he black hair is lost amongst the darkness of Prayer Man's torso.

Alternatively - there is NO woman there and the 'foot' isn't a foot, it's the sun hitting the steps. Have a look at the gif posted above and watch the 'woman in white' climb the stairs and watch the 'shadow' on the steps.... ;)

Alistair,

The animation shows the woman in the light colored coat below this person as moving up the stairs. I think your outline is of that woman's right side as she too was moving up the stairs.

Edited by Bill Miller

5 minutes ago, Alistair Briggs said:

headless woman.JPG

Oh, okay. Standing sideways. That does indeed look like a leg and foot. I'll look again at the various versions and see if I can make her out.

5 hours ago, Ian Lloyd said:

Hi Andrej,

Unfortunately, I don't have the software or capabilities to do that!!! I'm quite sure that Robin and/or others have already done it in the past - maybe an internet search might bring something up or, hopefully, Robin will visit and see this and provide more information.

Nor do I. I believe I have seen it done in the past. Can't imagine it not being on this site, or perhaps ROKC.

If someone can slow the animation down - I think what is said to be a leg is sunlight shining between the shadows being cast by the woman moving upo the stairs. The first two or so frames is the key here in my view.

Prayermangif3.gif

2 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

The woman seemingly dressed in all white does appear to walk up the steps like there is no person in front of her.

That is what it looks like to me too...

2 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

The animation shows the wman below this person as moving up the stairs. I think your outline is of that woman's right side as she too was moving up the stairs.

In a previous comment I have drawn an outline of what I can imagine as being a woman on the steps and that being her foot... however, what if the foot isn't a foot at all and it is actually just the sunlight hitting the steps...

sunlight hitting the steps.JPG

(apologies for the crudeness of my drawing line skills. lol)

I also took one of the other frames from the clip that the image is taken from,

no foot no woman.JPG

Notice how the shadows are cast on the steps there? And notice how there is no 'foot' visible. (This frame is before the foot appears). Watch the gif I posted above carefully and keep an eye on the shadows cast on the steps... to me it very much looks like the 'foot' isn't a foot it's the sunlight hitting the stairs (lack of shadow) caused by the 'woman in white' ascending the stairs.

No foot = no woman.

Just noticed Bill's comment as I was typing the stuff above...

9 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

If someone can slow the animation down - I think what is said to be a leg is sunlight shining between the shadows being cast by the woman moving upo the stairs. The first two or so frames is the key here in my view.

*I will certainly try and slow the animation down a bit to see if it helps.

The 'screenshot' frame I have posted just above I think could be 'key' in showing that it is sunlight shining between the shoulders.

*It has previously been argued by some that  Prayer Man can't be Oswald because his 'girth' looks to be too big to be him. The counter argument was that the look of the 'girth' could be explained because it was partially the 'woman on the stairs' whose foot can be seen... No foot = no woman = Prayer Man's 'girth' is all his!...

Whilst some may say that if all the 'girth' is Prayer Man's alone then that excludes it from being Oswald because Oswald didn't have that 'girth', personally I don't see it that way at all...

Sandy earlier said;

55 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

But I don't see the "girth" in PM that others here say they see.

I too don't see the 'girth' in PM that others here say they see...

... personally, that is to say, I don't think that if the 'girth' is all Prayer Man's that it any way excludes it being Oswald. ;)

To my eyes PM's torso (his body below the arms) is lighter than the shadows around him. Does anyone disagree? And doesn't that torso look rather wide (certainly wider than Oswald's)?

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

To my eyes PM's torso (his body below the arms) is lighter than the shadows around him. Does anyone disagree? And doesn't that torso look rather wide (certainly wider than Oswald's)?

Ron:

as far as your comment on Prayer Man's torso is concerned, have you considered the possibility that Prayer Man wore a worker type of shirt, rather loose, bottom of the shirt out of slacks. This would make him look wider compared to the pictures in which he had a T-shirt or a nice elegant shirt.  Since he was bending slightly to his right, this loose shirt would hang at some distance from his trunk. As far as sleeves are concerned, my analysis tells me that his shirt was a long-sleeve one, and sleeves were rolled up to (maybe tiny bit below) his elbow joints. This again would make an impression of quite massive upper arms. And since Prayer Man had his arms flexed in front of his body (a "prayer" gesture), it also looks that his upper body was massive. 

4 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

If that really is person standing there, then I'm pretty sure she must be moving up the steps. Because the woman in all white would otherwise be bumping into her IMO.

And yet, I see no sign of movement above the woman in all white. None.

If someone who has a gif animator would pull the first two or three frames from the gif and run them at 1.5sec intervals, then I am positive everyone will see that what they thought was the shape of a woman was in fact a shadow cast on the steps.

4 hours ago, Alistair Briggs said:

... personally, that is to say, I don't think that if the 'girth' is all Prayer Man's that it any way excludes it being Oswald. ;)

I guess it is possible that Lee ate a 30lb lunch.   :)