The Education Forum

Freeport Sulphur, the Castro Plots, and the Indonesia Coup

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

I can see that Cliff Varnell diverted this thread because of his fixation on the drug trade. Come on Cliff - the history of Indonesia as it played out shows that drugs are not the be all and end all of US foreign policy. 

No, they were the be all and end all of intelligence agency death squads, and state-side social engineering.

The Rockefellers, the Harriman's, the Walkers and the Bushes were all major eugenicists -- which long played a role in their banking activities.

There was nothing in the Congo, Algeria, or Indonesia which compared to the role of heroin in suppression of minority populations in America.

I pushback against James DiEugenio ignoring Laos in his current critique of JFK's foreign policy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliff - why push back about Laos? Why not instead take a careful look at Indonesia and Dulles on its own merits? 

Paul, here you go on Part 2  http://www.thesecrettruth.com/freeport-indonesia.htm 

Here you go on Part 1 https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/david-atlee-phillips-clay-shaw-and-freeport-sulphur

If you have not read Incubus of Intervention by Greg Poulgrain, you should pick it up.  Or listen to his two appearances on Black Op Radio.  He knows more about Indonesia than anyone I have met.  He was actually there for the overthrow of Suharto.  And he found out the truth about how Suharto got rid of Sukarno.

It turns out that the Dutch deliberately disguised how much gold was at the Ertzberg.  Instead they accented the copper.  But the gold deposits turned out to be much more valuable--I mean much more.  In Poulgrain's book, he shows how Dulles understood this through his access at Sullivan and Cromwell to the exploratory expeditions.  Which is why he advised Freeport not to do a deal with the Dutch.  There was too much at stake, and they could have it all.  Which is what happened.  And boy was he right.  I always said about Allen, I respected his brains as much as I did not the uses to which he put them.

It turned out that the combination of the Ertzberg and Grasberg created the largest gold deposit in the world.  And between the two mining spots, it stayed that way for over forty years. On one of Poulgrain's appearances he said how it actually superseded Congo in monetary value.  Which is really saying something.  In just one year, from the Grasberg, Freeport extracted over 58 million grams of gold, 174 million grams of silver, and 611 tons of copper.  As Chris Davidson says, do the math. Plus, he mentions something I knew nothing about.  There was also a giant petroleum deposit on the island.  It turned out to be the largest one in Southeast Asia.  Called the Vogelkop, if you can believe it, Greg makes an interesting argument that DeMohrenschildt worked on that site.

You can see how getting rid of Kennedy, and then Sukarno, greatly aided Freeport profits.  Because Kennedy, before he was killed, was helping to arrange nationalization deals for Sukarno that would be a 60-40 split in Indonesia's favor.  Once Suharto took over, these turned into 90-10 deals for the company.  But if Suharto was getting most of the ten percent, it was great for him.  Sukarno was going to use the money to help build the country.

BTW, since these threads disappear so fast now, take a look at JFK at 100 over at Kennedysandking.com  It turned out really well I think.  Even I didn't realize all the good things JFK did  in less than three years.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/jfk-at-100

Edited by James DiEugenio

http://wpik.org/Src/freeport.html

West Papua Information Kit

Freeport Sulphur

Freeport has been a bastillion of America's powerful & elite including the Whitney family, Rockefellers, Augustus Long (Texaco), and the Cold War architect Robert Lovett.

In 1957 Freeport Sulphur sign a lucrative nickel contract with the US government, but was caught in 1959 employing an ex-FBI agent to spy on the US official responsible for re-negotiating the nickle contract. In March 1959 the Rockefellers whose Standard Oil interests had known about West Papua's gold and copper since 1936, read in the New York Times that the Papuan Mines Office was now searching for which mountain gold was flowing into the Arafura Sea from. By August 1959 the Freeport company was trying to establish its claim the the Carstenz mountains alleging to the Dutch that Grasberg only held copper.

Before the Rockefellers sent (1961) Michael Rockefeller to this part of West Papua, at the end of 1960 fellow Freeport director Robert Lovett purchased an introduction to Joe Kennedy and his son U.S. President elect John F Kennedy, to whom Lovett suggested people to be appointed to various positions (Sec. of State, Defence, Tresury, etc.). On 28 Dec/1960 Kennedy announced that Lovett's friend McGeorge Bundy was to be the U.S. National Securoty Adviser. It was McGeorge Bundy who talked the US government into sacrificing the freedoms and human rights of the people of West Papua with the New York Agreement.

Like the attempted blackmail in 1959 of a US official, the New York Agreement and the 1967 Freeport mining license from General Suharto seem to be the products of corruption. It seems unlikely President Kennedy would have trusted the advice of Robert Lovett or McGeorge Bundy if Kennedy had known of Robert Lovett's Freeport connection to West New Guinea.

Freeport corporation

Originally Freeport Texas, the company had became Freeport Sulphur and a bastillion of the elite including the Whitney family, Godfrey Stillman Rockefeller, Chauncey Stillman, Jean Mauze (husband of Abby Rockefeller), Augustus Long (Texaco), and Robert Lovett (friend of Harriman family since childhood, president and chair of Union Pacific Railroad, 1947 Lovett Committee organising US intelligence, US Secretary of Defense 51-53, adviser to Kennedy); before merging with McMoran Oil finally becoming Freeport McMoRan.

According to Freeport today one of their employees in August 1959 accidently found the 1936 report which according to Freeport had been in the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation. Freeport immediately organised a personal expedition to the Dutch colony to review the discovery, two years later the company was still in West New Guinea as reported on page 45 of the 1961 Dutch report to the United Nations even though the territory was still under Dutch administration.

<quote off, emphasis added>

Allen Dulles had powerful enemies who tried for years to get Ike to fire him -- Robert Lovett and Joe Kennedy a/k/a Jack Kennedy's kitchen cabinet.

https://cryptome.org/ic-black5602.htm#report

Joseph Kennedy on Dulles & Co. in the wake of the Bay of Pigs: "I know that outfit, and I wouldn't pay them a hundred bucks a week. It's a lucky thing they were found out early."

The chances of Robert Lovett, or any enterprise with which he was connected, hiring Allen Dulles to whack JFK is zero.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Given Robert Lovett's hostility to Allen Dulles' management of the CIA it's more likely Dulles was set up as a back up patsy in the JFK murder.

That's IF you think Robert Lovett took part in the Kennedy assassination.

Which I don't.

If you look at part one of Lisa's article, you will see that Freeport at the time was controlled by the Rockefellers and Whitneys. As were several other extensions of Freeport in Indonesia. The Rockefellers had huge holdings there, which Kennedy was trying to get good deals for for Sukarno. Another interesting indication is the use of Clay Shaw an an intermediary for Freeport, and how Ferrie piloted him to Canada on business for the company.  Also how a Freeport representative was in on a Castro assassination plot over Castro's nationalization of their business holdings in Cuba. Plus, of course, the mentions of Phillips and Moa Bay.  Its all in Lisa's work.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/david-atlee-phillips-clay-shaw-and-freeport-sulphur

If you read Poulgrain's book, that is how Dulles came into the project at Sullivan and Cromwell. Because he was on the Standard Oil desk there.

The idea that the major stockholders of Freeport called a board meeting and one of the agenda headings  was "Should we participate in a plot to kill Kennedy?" is, to be frank, kind of bizarre.  

There was definite friction between the Rockefellers and Kennedy in several ways.  Same with Whitney.  Just look at the telegram JFK sent him when he removed him as ambassador to England.

Paul:  Did you get an opportunity to click that link to JFK@100?  I think you will really enjoy it.  Plus, you will probably learn something.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I do believe you will also find the law firm of Cravath, Swain and Moore (John McCloy, Roswell Gilpatrick, G.W. Miller,...) and the entire TEXTRON history leading to their acquisition of BELL Helicopter in 1960 as part of this drama.

The entire story begins with Arthur Little in 1886 and his nephew ROYAL LITTLE whose lawfirm was Cravath.  It was General Cabell who advised the Boston Bank VP.
Within 2 years, by 1963 and with the help of CIA General Cabell, the use of helicopters in SE Asia increased and never looked back.  The "helicopter" as an instrument of war proved horribly costly in terms of lives lost and support needed...  All Bell helicopters did in Vietnam was to make TEXTRON owners more wealthy.

Textron bought Bell Helicopter in July of 1960, four
months before the election. Bell's sales were down an
even hundred million in 1959 from nearly double that in
1953. Textron bought the company for what was considered
one of the worst deals of the year - $32 million or
exactly the company's book value. Yet Rupert C.
Thompson, Jr. ; "
then Textron Chairman (Miller was
President) , boasted, "We knew we had our objective -
25 percent pre-tax profit on our investment - from day
one."
That was a pretty cocky statement by the head of a
company that had $98 million in long-term debt, large
amounts of warrants and convertible preferred stock
outstanding, and was running out of tax credits. Since
1953 the company had not paid a penny in tax, having run
up a tax credit as high as $45 million in 1956. Textron
faced full tax liability by 1963.

As I was saying:

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/CIACtrlF.html

How the CIA Controls President Ford 
By L. Fletcher Prouty 
reprinted with permission of the author

One year earlier, in 1959, Frank Hand had directed a Boston banker to my office. At that time I worked in the Directorate of Plans in Air Force headquarters and my work was top secret. Few of my contemporaries in the Pentagon knew that I was in charge of a global U.S. Air Force system created for the dual purpose of providing Air Force support for the CIA and for protecting the best interests of the USAF while performing that task. My door was labeled simply, "Team B"; yet that Boston banker knocked and entered with assurance. Somehow he knew what my work was and he knew that I might be able to help him.

In 1959 there were very few helicopters in all of the services, and military procurement of those expensive machines was at an all-time low. The Bell Helicopter Company was all but out of business, and its parent company, Bell Aerospace Corp., was having trouble keeping it financially afloat. Meanwhile, the shrewd Royal Little, President of the Providence-based Textron Company, had a good cash position and could well afford the acquisition of a loser. Textron and the First National Bank of Boston got together to talk helicopters. Neither one knew a thing about them. But men in First Boston were close to the CIA, and they learned that the CIA was operating helicopters in Laos. What they needed to know now was, "What would be the future of the military helicopter, and would the use of helicopters in South East Asia escalate if given a little boost -- such as moving a squadron from Laos to Vietnam?" The CIA could tell them about that, and Frank Hand would be the man who could get them to the right people in the Pentagon.

The banker from Boston phrased his questions as though he believed that the helicopters in Laos were somehow operating under the Air Force, and then went on to ask about their tactical significance and about the possible increase of helicopter utilization for that kind of warfare. This was at a time when not even newspapers had reported anything like the operation of such large and expensive aircraft in that remote war. We had a rather thorough discussion and then he left. He called me several times after that and visited my office a month or two later.

As the record will show, Textron did acquire the Bell Helicopter Company and the CIA did step up use of helicopters to the extent that one of the CIA's own proprietary companies, Asia Aeronautics Inc., had more than four thousand men on each of two bases where helicopters were maintained. Most of those men were involved in their maintenance -- Bell Helicopters, no less!

Orders for Bel Helicopters for use in Vietnam exceeded $600-million. Anyone wanting to know more about how the U.S. got so heavily ($200-billion and the loss of 58,000 American lives) involved in Indochina need look no further. This was the pattern and the plan

If you want to argue that Freeport Sulphur pushed the button on JFK, have at it.  I’d argue otherwise, but go ahead and knock yourself out.

If you want to argue that Allen Dulles orchestrated the murder of JFK, have at it.  I’d argue otherwise, but suit yourself.

However, you cannot logically argue both Freeport and Dulles conspired to kill JFK, not with anti-Dulles man Robert Lovett on the Freeport board.

Lisa Pease:

Robert Lovett

Lovett had been General Partner at Brown Brothers, Harriman (he married a Brown.) He had served as Undersecretary of State, Assistant Secretary of War, and Secretary of Defense. He sat on the National Security Council. Ruling class researcher and author G. William Domhoff called Lovett a "Cold War architect." Lovett once accused Army Intelligence (G-2) of ineptitude when he learned that German scientists hadn't been brought out of Nazi Germany yet. Lovett was also best friends with Chase Manhattan Bank Chairman and Warren Commission member John J. McCloy. These two, along with Harvey H. Bundy, formed a close working relationship. Harvey H. Bundy was the father of McGeorge and Bill Bundy.

President Kennedy tried to sign up board for a role in his administration. Although Lovett declined, his suggestions must have carried a lot of weight with Kennedy. For the State Department, Lovett proposed Dean Rusk. For Defense Secretary, either his friend John J. McCloy or Robert McNamara, his protege. And for the Treasury, McCloy or C. Douglas Dillon. Kennedy took Rusk, McNamara, and Dillon. <quote off>

Robert Lovett was the most powerful member of the Freeport board of diectors.  One of the six “Wise Men” who crafted American foreign policy after WW2. Skull & Bones 1918. Head of the Lovett Committee on US intelligence, out of which the CIA sprang in 1947.  Architect of the American bombing campaign in WW2.

And co-author of the anti-Dulles Bruce-Lovett report.

The guy who did everything possible to remove Dulles from the CIA turned around and conspired with Dulles to murder Kennedy?

That flea-bitten mutt don't hunt.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

On 5/2/2017 at 7:20 AM, Paul Brancato said:

Cliff - why push back about Laos?

A discussion of JFK's foreign policy philosophy that ignores Laos is like a discussion of The Greatest New York Yankees without Babe Ruth.

Question: Did JFK's policies present an existential threat to Freeport Sulphur?

No, the company flourished in the early 60's.

By killing Kennedy would Freeport guarantee profits from it's Indonesian investment?

No, there still would have been Sukarno, and the logistical challenge of mining a remote, rugged site.

Kennedy's policies presented an existential threat to the KMT/CIA opium pipeline in Laos.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

A discussion of JFK's foreign policy philosophy that ignores Laos is like a discussion of The Greatest New York Yankees without Babe Ruth.

Question: Did JFK's policies present an existential threat to Freeport Sulphur?

No, the company flourished in the early 60's.

By killing Kennedy would Freeport guarantee profits from it's Indonesian investment?

No, there still would have been Sukarno, and the logistical challenge of mining a remote, rugged site.

Kennedy's policies presented an existential threat to the KMT/CIA opium pipeline in Laos.

Cliff - JFK would have supported, did support, Sukarno, and therefore did pose a huge threat to Freeport and Dulles. And to get back to something you've repeated a few times now, I cannot imagine a situation where Dulles was some kind of back up patsy.

56 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Cliff - JFK would have supported, did support, Sukarno, and therefore did pose a huge threat to Freeport and Dulles.

What "huge threat"?

Freeport Sulphur did gang-buster business during Kennedy's term.

And what did Dulles have to do with Freeport in 1963?

His involvement thru Sullivan/Cromwell was ancient history by then.

56 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

And to get back to something you've repeated a few times now, I cannot imagine a situation where Dulles was some kind of back up patsy.

The CIA was freaked out over the Garrison investigation.  If Agency guys had to take the fall I'd suggest E. Howard Hunt and Allen Dulles were in the patsy chain.

This has become so ridiculous.  Lisa's article was never meant to be an assignation of the assassination of Kennedy.  But Varnell has to twist things into his vortex.

She was trying to demonstrate how Kennedy's policies were reversed after his murder.  And she wanted to do Indonesia since no one had ever really paid attention to it in the JFK literature.  And that is about as far as she went.  The reason I thought it was important at the time was for that reason.  For me, it was the first in depth look at the subject, and it was the first time I recalled someone going outside of the Cuba/VIetnam sphere at this length and depth.

The real importance of the article for me was that it made me think that hey!  Kennedy was not just interested in Cuba ad Vietnam, which is what so many JFK researchers insinuate.  So with this article, plus then my discovery of the Mahoney book on Congo, I reassessed the whole subject of Kennedy's foreign policy in general.

PS Paul did you get a chance to see the JFK at 100 slideshow yet?

7 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

This has become so ridiculous.  Lisa's article was never meant to be an assignation of the assassination of Kennedy.  But Varnell has to twist things into his vortex.

No, I take issue with the way YOU have presented it

She was trying to demonstrate how Kennedy's policies were reversed after his murder.  And she wanted to do Indonesia since no one had ever really paid attention to it in the JFK literature.  And that is about as far as she went.  The reason I thought it was important at the time was for that reason.  For me, it was the first in depth look at the subject, and it was the first time I recalled someone going outside of the Cuba/VIetnam sphere at this length and depth.

Right. And it's YOUR take on the matter I'm challenging.

The real importance of the article for me was that it made me think that hey!  Kennedy was not just interested in Cuba ad Vietnam, which is what so many JFK researchers insinuate.  So with this article, plus then my discovery of the Mahoney book on Congo, I reassessed the whole subject of Kennedy's foreign policy in general.

And you left out Laos, where the real action was.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Attention Dulles-centrics!

RE the anti-Dulles Bruce-Lovett Report on the CIA.

https://cryptome.org/ic-black5602.htm

<quote on>

The 1956 report, written in Bruce's spirited style, condemned

the increased mingling in the internal affairs of other nations of bright, highly graded young men who must be doing something all the time to justify their reason for being. . . . Busy, moneyed, and privileged [the CIA] likes its "King Making" responsibility (the intrigue is fascinating -- considerable self-satisfaction, sometimes with applause, derives from "successes" -- no charge is made for "failures" -- and the whole business is very much simpler than collecting covert intelligence on the USSR through the usual CIA methods!

Bruce and Lovett could discover no reliable system of control. "there are always, of course, on record the twin, well-born purpose of 'frustrating the Soviets' and keeping others 'pro-western' oriented. Under these almost any [covert] action can be and is being justified. . . . Once having been conceived, the final approval given to any project (at informal lunch meetings of the OCB [Operations Coordinating Board] inner group) can, at best, be described as pro forma." One consequence was that "no one, other than those in the CIA immediately concerned with their day to day operation, has any detailed knowledge of what is going on." With "a horde of CIA representatives" swarming around the planet, CIA covert action was exerting "signficant, almost unilateral influences . . . on the actual formulation of our foreign policies . . . sometimes completely unknown" to the local American ambassador. "We are sure," the report added, "that the supporters of the 1948 decision to launch this government on a positive [covert] program could not possibly have foreseen the ramifications of the operations which have resulted from it." Bruce and Lovett concluded with an exasperated plea:

Should not someone, somewhere in an authoritative position in our government, on a continuing basis, be . . . calculating . . . the long-range wisdom of activities which have entailed a virtual abandonment of the international "golden rule," and which, if successful to the degree claimed for them, are responsible in a great measure for stirring up the turmoil and raising the doubts about us that exist in many countries of the world today? . . . Where will we be tomorrow?39
39 David Bruce and Robert Lovett, "Covert Operations," report to President's Board of Consultants on Foreign Intelligence Activities [1956], RFK Papers.

In December 1956 the full board passed onto Eisenhower its concern about "the extremely informal and somewhat exclusive methods" used in the handling of clandestine projects.40 (Among those signing this statement was another board member, Joseph P. Kennedy. "I know that outfit," the ambassador said after the Bay of Pigs, "and I wouldn't pay them a hundred bucks a week. It's a lucky thing they were found out early.")41 In February 1957 the board pointed out to the White House that clandestine operations absorbed more than 80 percent of the CIA budget and that few of the projects received the formal approval of the so-called 5412 Special Group, the National Security Council's review mechanism. The CIA's Directorate of Plans (i.e., covert action), the board said, "is operating for the most part on an autonomous and free-wheeling basis in highly critical area." All too often the State Department knew "little or nothing" of what the CIA was doing. "In some qurgters this leads to situations which are almost unbelievable because the operations being carried out by the Deputy Director of Plans are sometimes in direct conflict with the normal operations being carried out by the Department of State." 42

40 President's Board of Consultants on Foreign Intelligence Activities (hereafter cited as PBCFIA), report to President Eisenhowe, December 20, 1956, RFK Papers.

41 William Manchester, Portrait of a President (Boston, 1962), 35.

42 PBCFIA, report to the Special Assistnat for National Security, February 12, 1957, RFK Papers.

<quote off>

Lovett talked Kennedy into appointing Dean Rusk at State and Bundy as the National Security Adviser.

Do you think he recommended guys who were sympathetic to Allen Dulles?

Dulles sleep-walked thru the Bay of Pigs and took the fall for a failure largely engineered by Dean Rusk and McGeorge Bundy.

The elites who grew to loathe Allen Dulles and his onset Alzheimers recruited him to whack Kennedy?