The Education Forum

Freeport Sulphur, the Castro Plots, and the Indonesia Coup

Below is the link to Lisa Pease's masterly, milestone article originally published in Probe in two parts.

http://www.ctka.net/2015/FromTheArchive.html

Why is it a milestone? In two ways. First, it actually shows how the CIA was working with a corporation to stave off the Castro revolution, and then to probably do away with Castro. We don't get this kind of detail for these relationships often.

Secondly, in part two, she shows how the horrendous 1965 overthrow of Sukarno in Indonesia was related to the JFK murder.

Please note the chart on page 26, as to how fast the reversal came.

I was completely unaware of this at the time. But it really opened my eyes and I realized, "Hey, we are being bamboozled. Kennedy was not just about Vietnam and Cuba. That is what they want us to think. This stuff was going on all over the world." I then found Mahoney's book on Congo, and we then did a two parter on that epochal struggle--which had also been ignored inside the critical community.

At times, we get engulfed in minutiae--trajectory analysis, autopsy analysis, ballistics analysis, who was Ruby?--etc. As Fletcher Prouty once said, that is the scenery. It distracts us from the Big Picture. For as I have said, the cover up about Kennedy the man is as big and as dense as the cover up about his murder. Because the latter is directly related to the former.

This was one of the first examinations that exposed that second cover up. I think it was one of the ten best articles Probe ever produced.

Edited by James DiEugenio

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, the murder of Kennedy and the subsequent success of the Indonesia coup not only brought the brutal dictator Suharto to power--which he preserved for thirty years--it also allowed Freeport Sulphur to morph into a monstrosity.

Look up Freeport McMoran to see what they are today.

Lisa's article was so potent, she got communications from young people inside of Indonesia who thanked her for exposing what happened to their country. It also inspired a professor at University of Hawaii to write a book called Freeport and Indonesia.

That is how good this is and how good Probe was. Because it showed the JFK case extended across time and geographic borders.

I was completely unaware of this at the time. But it really opened my eyes and I realized, "Hey, we are being bamboozled. Kennedy was not just about Vietnam and Cuba. That is what they want us to think. This stuff was going on all over the world."

Nelson Rockefeller expressed interest in nuking N. Vietnam, not Katanga.

The country you insist on ignoring is Laos.

The global drug trade does not appear much in your estimations of the motivations for Kennedy's death, does it?

Cliff:

Did you read the article?

If you did not see the name Rockefeller, you must be blind.

As per Vietnam and Laos, please read Destiny Betrayed second edition.

Nice to know that no one has an axe to grind here. We are all open to new ideas. :sun

Cliff:

Did you read the article?

If you did not see the name Rockefeller, you must be blind.

As per Vietnam and Laos, please read Destiny Betrayed second edition.

Nice to know that no one has an axe to grind here. We are all open to new ideas. :sun

Non sequitur.

What region were the Rockefellers most interested in?-- to the point of nuking the joint!

What region was W. Averell Harriman most interested in '61-'63?

SE Asia.

Laos foremost, with Vietnam and Cuba to follow as pieces of the heroin pipeline.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

C'mon Cliff,

You didn't read the article and you didn't read my book. OK.

And no rhetorical trick will disguise that.

But now you drag in your good ole standby Harriman to move the goalposts: Harriman.

Read them, you may learn something. Just maybe.

C'mon Cliff,

You didn't read the article and you didn't read my book. OK.

And no rhetorical trick will disguise that.

But now you drag in your good ole standby Harriman to move the goalposts: Harriman.

Read them, you may learn something. Just maybe.

I asked you a direct question.

"The global drug trade does not appear much in your estimations of the motivations for Kennedy's death, does it?"

If I'm wrong, then I'd be interested in what you write.

If I'm not wrong, I'm not particularly interested

I was completely unaware of this at the time. But it really opened my eyes and I realized, "Hey, we are being bamboozled. Kennedy was not just about Vietnam and Cuba. That is what they want us to think. This stuff was going on all over the world."

Jim, I don't think you understand how arrogant this statement is.

"That is what they want us to think."

Oh rully?

Peter Dale Scott, George Michael Evica and others have speculated as to the central role of the global drug trade in the murder of JFK.

Laos/Vietnam/Cuba command center stage in such an analysis.

Such assertions run contrary to your conclusions, don't they?

Not sure if Lisa knows this or not, but the person [in-charge] at Moa Bay was Captain Jose Pujol who was a boat captain for the CIA who infiltrated Cuba at Mao Bay, prior to Jose switching sides while still working in Moa Bay his direct boss was Che Guevara who made Pujol "Port Supervisor" in Moa Bay. The reason for the American Government's interests was the nickel and cobalt to make nuclear weapons.

David Atlee Phillips under his direction set up a hit team to take out Fidel Castro who was to visit Moa Bay, Jose Pujol was apart of that team, while waiting on Castro to arrive someone had tipped him off about the assassination plot, and Castro did not go to Moa.

Just filling in some of the blanks if in-case no one already had this information.

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Cliff,

You are correct, about the drug smuggling in from Cuba. There was a lot of that going on, after Vietnam and Laos very few kept in touch with the drug trade in those regions especially after all them boys have come home. The most single largest smuggling was coming in from Cuba, Jamaica and Haiti. After the war when Nixon shut it all down, and Ford brought everyone home 1974-75 Vietnam and Laos was just too far away to use military as cargo until the Reagan Administration, then the United States involved itself again with the Contras.

However, since Cuba was only 90 miles away from the coast of Florida, Cuba has always been a leading provider of drugs smuggled in by many anti-Castro Cubans I'm personally aware of who have made millions of dollars, and in-fact during the 80s Miami was the drug capital of the world with dealers killing other dealers for territory and possession. It was a very big business, very lucrative, I don't believe very many folks understand the magnitude of money flowing in Miami because of drugs. Just from the sales alone kingpins had to invest their millions into dummy construction companies working for general contractors who have invested millions upon millions of dollars building high rise condos that have expanded from downtown Miami to all of South Beach and Miami Beach areas.

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Cliff,

You are correct, about the drug smuggling in from Cuba. There was a lot of that going on, after Vietnam and Laos very few kept in touch with the drug trade in those regions especially after all them boys have come home. The most single largest smuggling was coming in from Cuba, Jamaica and Haiti. After the war when Nixon shut it all down, and Ford brought everyone home 1974-75 Vietnam and Laos was just too far away to use military as cargo until the Reagan Administration, then the United States involved itself again with the Contras.

However, since Cuba was only 90 miles away from the coast of Florida, Cuba has always been a leading provider of drugs smuggled in by many anti-Castro Cubans I'm personally aware of who have made millions of dollars, and in-fact during the 80s Miami was the drug capital of the world with dealers killing other dealers for territory and possession. It was a very big business, very lucrative, I don't believe very many folks understand the magnitude of money flowing in Miami because of drugs. Just from the sales alone kingpins had to invest their millions into dummy construction companies working for general contractors who have invested millions upon millions of dollars building high rise condos that have expanded from downtown Miami to all of South Beach and Miami Beach areas.

Scott,

It's hard to believe Castro hasn't run his own boutique drug smuggling operation all these years.

I think it possible the JFK assassination instantly inspired Castro to run his dope thru George H. W. Bush's Zapata Offshore.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

http://wpik.org/Src/freeport.html

<quote on>

Freeport Sulphur

Freeport has been a bastillion of America's powerful & elite including the Whitney family, Rockefellers, Augustus Long (Texaco), and the Cold War architect Robert Lovett.

In 1957 Freeport Sulphur sign a lucrative nickel contract with the US government, but was caught in 1959 employing an ex-FBI agent to spy on the US official responsible for re-negotiating the nickle contract. In March 1959 the Rockefellers whose Standard Oil interests had known about West Papua's gold and copper since 1936, read in the New York Times that the Papuan Mines Office was now searching for which mountain gold was flowing into the Arafura Sea from. By August 1959 the Freeport company was trying to establish its claim the the Carstenz mountains alleging to the Dutch that Grasberg only held copper.

Before the Rockefellers sent (1961) Michael Rockefeller to this part of West Papua, at the end of 1960 fellow Freeport director Robert Lovett purchased an introduction to Joe Kennedy and his son U.S. President elect John F Kennedy, to whom Lovett suggested people to be appointed to various positions (Sec. of State, Defence, Tresury, etc.). On 28 Dec/1960 Kennedy announced that Lovett's friend McGeorge Bundy was to be the U.S. National Security Adviser. It was McGeorge Bundy who talked the US government into sacrificing the freedoms and human rights of the people of West Papua with the New York Agreement.

Like the attempted blackmail in 1959 of a US official, the New York Agreement and the 1967 Freeport mining license from General Suharto seem to be the products of corruption. It seems unlikely President Kennedy would have trusted the advice of Robert Lovett or McGeorge Bundy if Kennedy had known of Robert Lovett's Freeport connection to West New Guinea.

Freeport corporation

Originally Freeport Texas, the company had became Freeport Sulphur and a bastillion of the elite including the Whitney family, Godfrey Stillman Rockefeller, Chauncey Stillman, Jean Mauze (husband of Abby Rockefeller), Augustus Long (Texaco), and Robert Lovett (friend of Harriman family since childhood, president and chair of Union Pacific Railroad, 1947 Lovett Committee organising US intelligence, US Secretary of Defense 51-53, adviser to Kennedy); before merging with McMoran Oil finally becoming Freeport McMoRan.

According to Freeport today one of their employees in August 1959 accidently found the 1936 report which according to Freeport had been in the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation. Freeport immediately organised a personal expedition to the Dutch colony to review the discovery, two years later the company was still in West New Guinea as reported on page 45 of the 1961 Dutch report to the United Nations even though the territory was still under Dutch administration.

<quote off>

Edited by Cliff Varnell

This is how revolutionary and crucial Lisa' work was on this issue.

Twenty years later, and scholars down under are just discovering the concepts Lisa did two decades ago. Look sleek a very interesting book.

But that is how great Probe was.

http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2015/05/15/review-the-incubus-of-intervention-conflicting-indonesia-strategies-of-john-f-kennedy-and-allen-dulles/

• 1 year later...

I can see that Cliff Varnell diverted this thread because of his fixation on the drug trade. Come on Cliff - the history of Indonesia as it played out shows that drugs are not the be all and end all of US foreign policy. 

Jim - could you repost the link to Linda Pease's article?

and the Probe article David Atlee Phillips, Clay Shaw, and Freeport Sulfur. 

Edited by Paul Brancato