The Education Forum

Freeport Sulphur, the Castro Plots, and the Indonesia Coup

Cliff - thanks for posting these excerpts. I've read them before. For me it does not document the allegations. I'm not saying it didn't happen. What is clear to me is that the change of station chief was instrumental. Would that not implicate Army Intelligence? Lodge was high ranking Army reserve, I think Major General. I recognize that we are not really privy to the workings of power at the highest levels, and that guys like Lemnitzer or Helms or Dulles may be acting on instructions from Bundy or Harriman. I still suspect however that Harriman himself is not the real culprit. I don't think we will ever see an order in writing that proves Corson's claim. If you have been able to document Corson's claim that Harriman ordered the change in CIA station Chief I'd love to see it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/31/2017 at 7:53 AM, Paul Brancato said:

Cliff - thanks for posting these excerpts. I've read them before. For me it does not document the allegations. I'm not saying it didn't happen. What is clear to me is that the change of station chief was instrumental. Would that not implicate Army Intelligence? Lodge was high ranking Army reserve, I think Major General. I recognize that we are not really privy to the workings of power at the highest levels, and that guys like Lemnitzer or Helms or Dulles may be acting on instructions from Bundy or Harriman. I still suspect however that Harriman himself is not the real culprit. I don't think we will ever see an order in writing that proves Corson's claim. If you have been able to document Corson's claim that Harriman ordered the change in CIA station Chief I'd love to see it.

Paul - I thoroughly enjoy discussing all aspects of the case with you.  We're the "Trading Card Guys."

I'll start a new thread in a day or so: "The Brancato-Varnell Discussions"

Cliff - me too. Btw, did you see the info on Prescott Bush inviting Dulles to dinner after he was fired as CIA chief, a dinner to which Dulles brought his successor John McCone? I mention it because I know for sure that you know of the deep connections between Harriman and Dulles, and Prescott Bush, and Clarence Dillon, etc.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:48 PM, Paul Brancato said:

...Prescott Bush inviting Dulles to dinner

Speaking of dinner invites and Dulles. Can anyone come up with a reason why Dulles would invite Robert Oswald out to dinner after Robert's WC testimony?

Edited by Chris Newton
grammar nazis

On 6/3/2017 at 4:48 PM, Chris Newton said:

Speaking of dinner invites and Dulles. Can anyone come up with a reason why Dulles would invite Robert Oswald out to dinner after Robert's WC testimony?

Really? Hard to believe Dulles did that. 

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Really? Hard to believe Dulles did that.

...from the "Devil's Chessboard" by David Talbot. page 583:

The New York Times was a favorite Dulles receptacle. In February, the Times had run another leaked story — also bylined by Lewis — that clearly led back to Dulles. Lewis reported that Robert Oswald, the accused assassin’s brother, had testified that he suspected Lee was a Soviet agent. As the commission hunted the source of the leak, a staff attorney suggested that the Times reporter might have overheard a dinner table conversation that he and Dulles had with Robert Oswald at a Washington restaurant — a highly unlikely scenario that nonetheless provided Dulles with the fig leaf of a cover story…

The unlikely scenario is that a reporter overheard Dulles and Robert Oswald and Dulles' attorney, not that the Dinner didn't happen.

Paul: I don't have to make crazy sh@t up. There's enough of it already in regards to this case.

10 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

...from the "Devil's Chessboard" by David Talbot. page 583:

The unlikely scenario is that a reporter overheard Dulles and Robert Oswald and Dulles' attorney, not that the Dinner didn't happen.

Paul: I don't have to make crazy sh@t up. There's enough of it already in regards to this case.

And I even read the book. I wasnt doubting you btw.

Have you read 'Our Man in Haiti'? Not really related to the subject at hand, other than textbook examples of fig leaf stories covering CIA tracks. 

5 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

I have it but I haven't read it yet. It's on my list.

I'm actually nose deep in Dulles' own archive at Princeton these days.

Very interesting. Do you agree with Varnell that Dulles was approaching senility and was a back up patsy? I'm more interested in his relationships with Prescott Bush and Harriman.

Edited by Paul Brancato

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Do you agree with Varnell that Dulles was approaching senility and was a back up patsy?

I hadn't heard that Dulles' mental state was an issue during that time nor do the letters I've read reflect that. So, I have no information to refute or support Cliff's assertion.

Have you heard of the "Alibi Club" in DC?