The Education Forum

Re-Post from ROKC: re Baker entering TSBD

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different child now. OK, Bob?

The child wearing the red cap and being held by the woman in this Towner frame could very well be Johnny Hawkins, and the woman could very well be his mother, Peggy Joyce Hawkins.

woman_and_child~0.jpg

Credit: Robin Unger http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20032

--Tommy :sun

I see what you mean now. Funny, Altgens' telephoto lens makes it look like the woman and man are right next to the TSBD steps, and not out on the concrete island and actually closer to the concrete pillar.

That may be Hawkins and her child, although, at first glance, the child appears small for a four year old. That would certainly place her in the right spot to get behind the retaining wall, as it begins behind her just on the other side of the concrete pillar.

I wonder if she considered the concrete pillar as part of the retaining wall when she gave her statement.

The child wearing the red cap and being held by the woman in this Towner frame could very well be Johnny Hawkins, and the woman could very well be his mother, Peggy Joyce Hawkins.

woman_and_child~0.jpg

I see what you mean now. Funny, Altgens' telephoto lens makes it look like the woman and man are right next to the TSBD steps, and not out on the concrete island and actually closer to the concrete pillar.

That may be Hawkins and her child, although, at first glance, the child appears small for a four year old. That would certainly place her in the right spot to get behind the retaining wall, as it begins behind her just on the other side of the concrete pillar.

I wonder if she considered the concrete pillar as part of the retaining wall when she gave her statement.

They aren't between the two lamp posts. And it's not likely a boy would be wearing a red hat. (Or maybe it is just pink that is to be avoided.)

woman_and_child~0.jpg

They aren't between the two lamp posts. And it's not likely a boy would be wearing a red hat. (Or maybe it is just pink that is to be avoided.)

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy.

The child is wearing a knitted, pullover-style red cap, ... you know, ... like people wear when it's cold?

4-groden-oswald-altgens-6-ks.jpg?w=735

Edit: Peggy Joyce Hawkings (formerly Bibler) from her 1956 college yearbook. Note the same chin, cheeks, eyebrows, and hair color. Bear in mind that her head is tilted at different angles in the two photographs.

Peggy%20Joyce%20Bibbler%20-%20Hawkins.jp

Edited by Thomas Graves

woman_and_child~0.jpg

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy.

The child is wearing a knitted, pullover-style red cap, ... you know, ... like people wear when it's cold?

Well I would never wear a red knit cap no matter how cold it got. But I guess I can see a mother doing that with a little boy.

BTW, does it get cold in Dallas in November? Apparently the parent thinks so.

croft_wall2.jpg

image67.jpg

motorcade re-enactment ( including R.L.Thornton & Stemmons Freeway signs)

12189583_10153713812118874_8786345424197

Thank you for the photos, Robin. Now I get it. There was a retaining wall behind the main retaining wall, and a sidewalk separating them, allowing a person wishing to hide behind a retaining wall two easy places to access them.

Any Idea where that sidewalk leads? Onto the side of the Elm St. extension, maybe?

woman_and_child~0.jpg

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy.

Edit: Peggy Joyce Hawkings (formerly Bibler) from her 1956 college yearbook. Note the same chin, cheeks, and hair color.

Might be her. I still think the child looks a bit small for being four years old, though.

woman_and_child~0.jpg

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy.

Edit: Peggy Joyce Hawkings (formerly Bibler) from her 1956 college yearbook. Note the same chin, eyebrows, and hair color. Bear in mind that her head is tilted at different angles in the two photographs.

http://library.atu.edu/research/Agricola/PDF/1954-03.pdf

edited and bumped

PS -- Sandy, you do realize that it was raining and cool-ish earlier that late November day in Dallas, don't you? And windy, too? In fact the wind was gusting in Dealey Plaza right before the President was shot. Now that's what I call real "Chill Factor." The gusting wind might even explain why the woman's hair in the Altgen's 6 blow up, above, is lifted off of her forehead...

Not that it matters, but maybe it was even rainier and / or cooler in Mesquite, Texas, where the Hawkins were living at the time and where Peggy had driven herself and her son to Dallas from...

Edited by Thomas Graves