The Education Forum

My PDF is now fully complete

My name is Scott Kaiser, for sometime now I have been upset over my first book, I only blame myself. Nevertheless, I have taken that material and I have completely rewritten the entire book adding more than seventy pages. There is now a total of 321 pages. I now understand how it works, and the importance of evidence.

The purpose of my post is that I am seeking someone who is well educated and diverse in the English language, with a talent in editing, sentence structure, pronunciations and punctuations. Below, is some information culled directly out of page 63. My question to you is.

Would there be a person in this forum who would be up to the challenge of reviewing my [entire] PDF with the understanding that should you accept this, I have no money to pay you, any material sent your way [will not] be duplicated, copied, or otherwise shared with anyone. In other words, no material shall be disclosed unless this author has given you written permission. If you are the one chosen, then you are agreeing to these terms and will adhere to these conditions, please contact me.

Your name will not be given out, and this will be strictly and confidentially kept between us. I would also stress that time is of the essence as I plan on having this material sent out in March or sooner for publishers review.

Should you be interested, please send me a personal email at scott-kaiser@hotmail.com in turn, I will send you my entire PDF for review for specified corrections. Please title in the subject line "Book editing". Thanking everyone in advance.

Scott

"I can still remember the apartment we lived in, it was on the second floor in Anchorage, Alaska, and the two girls my mother babysitted, I knew them as Happy and Michelle. I suppose we named her Happy because she was. My mother had tinfoil wrapped all around the windows to keep the sunlight from overpowering the inside of our two bedroom apartment. I don't remember it ever getting too dark outside. One of my parents would always walk me in my snowshoes to the bus stop where I would be picked up for school. One evening there was a small tremor, my mother knew we were having an earthquake, but I had no idea what it was. I saw the dishes move in the Kitchen, and just like that, it was over. I looked at my mother and asked, who did that? She started to laugh. At night I loved to hear the wolves howl while watching a movie series on TV with my mom called Dark Shadows. I was only four then, and between the wolves, and the move show, they both gave me an excuse to always crawl in bed with my parents.
The winter weather in Alaska was more than Mom could bear. My sister and I were always getting sick, and Mom didn’t have much help financially. My father didn’t exactly help in taking care of us. I needed an ear operation according to my father, and the doctor suggested that it should be done in warmer climate. Dad called his mother who was living in Florida at the time and told her that the family was moving down there.
Paraphrase from Page Two of My Father’s Letter:

After his death I moved to Alaska, then on one of my trips back to Connecticut I met and married my wife, this was in 1962, I have been married now eleven years. I have a son nine and a daughter four. Because of a operation on my sons ear we were advised to have it done in a warmer climate not in Alaska. My mother lived in Florida at that time so we moved from Alaska to Florida. The operation was performed in a hospital in Miami Beach and we have lived in that area for over four years now. It was then that I started getting wrapped up in the Cuban problems. Abraham Lincoln once said that “progress” true progress starts in your heart. The Cuban people not only had in their heart the cry for freedom, justice, a new democratic government in Cuba but also the cry for “progress” they knew that the Monroe Doctrine made by President Monroe, which was made to protect the Americans, North, South and central from infiltration from other government foreign and abroad was not Kennedy. I asked myself? Do I have to see New York, Chicago or Dallas Texas? Budapest, Algeria, Vietnam or even like that small island 90 miles off the coast of Florida run by a puppet with a beard in what is a mock drama presumably by the communist party for our benefit. Remembering what Joseph Stalin said, “what is mine is mine and what is yours is negotiable,” what Nikita Khrushchev said in February holding up an ear of corn on Life magazine. We will not fight the United States man to man we will infiltrate the government, their schools, their churches, all this went through my mind, I did what I thought any American should do. I was not silent like the so called…"

ASSASSINS

A Man Without A Country

P.63

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Scott - One of the best things you can do is search the non-fiction sections of libraries for books that tell their stories in similar ways to the way you want to tell yours, and learn from them how to edit and shape your typescript so that a publisher will accept it and a publisher's editor will work with you on preparing the book for publication. These need not necessarily be works on intelligence history, but can be memoirs, or histories written by participants in the story, etc. Family memoirs unrelated to intelligence work may be of help with some parts of your book, going by the material in your post.

Your father's story is interwoven with the stories of a number of people who figure in historical works, and at least one well-known figure, Frank Sturgis. There's every reason that a print publisher would be interested. I imagine your work also incorporates present-day, first-person research into the anti-Castro movement and its survivors. All this can be sold between covers. You need to look at published works as a way of internalizing the forms of storytelling that publishers find sellable, so that you can sell your book to a publisher as work that they can envision a market for. If you include a lot of historical detail, and the results of your interviews with persons who knew your father and his milieu, you will need to back up your research with some form of endnoting that will support your findings and conclusions. If, instead, you choose to go with a memoir format, endnoting is less important, as you are presenting yourself as the witness to what you write. Just be prepared to answer any contradictions that may be raised, by publishers or readers.

I really wish I could take this trip with you, but there are things that prevent me, such as my financial survival. Let me recommend to you one book that I think might help, and which you may have studied already: Gaeton Fonzi's The Last Investigation. This book strikes a nice balance between memoir and history. You may want to tell your story differently, but you will find useful things to compare in Fonzi, such as chapter structuring, creating paragraphs, and presenting personal experience with a historical subject. I can't remember if Fonzi cites his historical sources in endnotes, but whether he does or not will give you tips in how to present information. Compare what Fonzi did to other books, and work out the method that works for you. Remember, all information in a book is a form of storytelling.

Other types of memoir and first-person history can help you handle different areas of your book. Checking out published memoir and history in your subject area is also an excellent way to find publishers interested in your material. Pay attention to the publishing dates and the number of editions that a book has been through for cues on getting a publisher that can give your book some shelf life. For instance, if you read a book that is in your subject area, was it published at the time of any event related to the Kennedy/Cuba era. (HSCA? The movie JFK? The ARRB?) Is that book still in print? Has a revised edition with more material been published? These are things that can help you plan.

You are the best person to put your book into a form that a publisher will buy and that achieves what you hope to present a reader.

Good luck. I'm sure everybody here would like to see your good results. Can others suggest some comparative literature in memoir and history that might be of help?

Edited by David Andrews

Thank you for the heads up David, I think I have it down, and I know there are some very smart people in this forum. I respect that which is the reason I would also respect their overview of my material. I'm not sure if going to a Library for a comparison of life stories is the answer, could be, however, what I have now is fully completed. I'm not sure how I would compare someone else life story to how we lived unless you mean how the sentence structure is set forth. I'm now ready to fully expose everything I know.

Scott

Edited by Scott Kaiser

I would like to leave the reader with a short version of an overview.

Assassins, A Man Without A Country, is based on a true story. It's a story about a man whose love for his country turned towards bitterness when he lost his citizenship. He'd do anything to reenter the country he once lived in and loved, to the point of devoting his life services to their military which has stripped him of his citizenship for joining the French Foreign Legion.
The hardships he faced in returning to America were unbearable, and in the end, he turned over a new leaf by turning on the very same government that he found guilty of committing treasonous acts.
This man, a man without a country would later die, killed by the very same government that stripped him of his citizenship, as propaganda government cables would usher out information on this man as being someone who was untrustworthy, an opportunist, and a xxxx.
But, the records will show that he loved his country more than anything else, and only God was before her, he died as being a true American patriot whose identity was merely stripped by definition.
He impersonates a Military Officer, a United States Army Lieutenant, a Hialeah Police Officer, and agents of the CIA, FBI and U.S. Customs. He is stealing classified documents out of Homestead Air Force Base, medical supplies out of United States Coast Guard, index cards from U.S Customs and photographs from the CIA. He visits other military bases abroad. He was involved in Watergate, and he exposes the reason for Watergate. He was, the sixth burglar no one had ever known. He was sent to Israel in order for them to retrieve the information he possessed, than, perhaps, killed there too. There's proof of the company [CIA] knowing my father was leaving for Israel ahead of time as they notified FAA, Airport Security, and U.S Customs. So, how was my father able to slip thru? It was a total setup to intercept my father's contents as he traveled, but he didn't take his briefcase with him on the trip to Israel. The United States Government threw everything they had at my father, and still, they weren't able to retrieve what could have very well damaged the CIA for good. My father wasn't a cop, CIA, FBI or U.S. Customs Agent.
He wasn't a Lieutenant in the United States Army. He was none of these things, he impersonated all of them, he created his own identity and credentials while infiltrating these companies. He was hand saluted by army personnel. He signed paperwork as Lieutenant Kaiser, an Officer in the United States Army for release of medical supplies from United States Coast Guard for anti-Castro groups. He "borrowed" classified documents, index cards, tapes and photos. No one would touch him, not even the United States Government because of the information he possessed. He was the world's most dangerous man alive, and the only way to have stopped him, was to kill him. This is a real story of David versus Goliath, one man against the entire government. This is his story.
Edited by Scott Kaiser

This is the logistics of the entire story, the premise if you will:

Edwin Kaiser meets with Wilfredo Navarro, Frank Sturgis and Lee early on, he is a character-driven seeking action in the pulsating enigma of modern day Miami. Edwin has lost all sense of passion and all sense of life since a young adult. He became belligerent in order to make himself tough after joining the French Foreign Legion as a sniper. Getting back into the United States posed a challenge. Edwin's mother, Elizabeth Smith receives a letter from First Lady Mamie Eisenhower indicating how she understands her desire to have her son back in the United States. The cold war during Eisenhower's Administration had given rise to many three letter agencies believing Edwin could very well be an asset due to his skills. And, in 1960 upon his arrival to the United States, the CIA took notice in my father.

My father has become an empty shell of his former self. He impersonates an officer, a Lieutenant in the United States Army, CIA, FBI and U.S. Customs agent as he infiltrates the CIA and is stealing from the United States government. Edwin refused to grant his separated wife a divorce and appears determined to put the pieces of his life back together. When once again he is called upon by the United States government reminding him of his sworn duties he signed on a sealed document which helped pave his way in returning to America that led promise to his French Visa. In 1976, his world becomes turned upside down when one day at home he's shouting, ranting and raving about how the United States government is requesting he partakes in dismantling heads of state and government officials. The United States wanted war in the Middle East and control over oil prices. Sonia Kaiser, my [mother] was too afraid to ask what it was he was carrying on about. The next thing he knows is he's on his way to Haiti as planned plots to assassinate Haiti's dictator starts to brew as early as 1969. Kaiser is also under investigation by Dallas intelligence, but the information stops and becomes blacked out. With a forged passport and license to kill he is on his way to take out the Prime Minister of Israel in 1976, but he's caught tapping phone wires. Forced to work together, the opinionated pair of Kaiser and the government often end up at odds with each other. Kaiser is determined to do what is right. His relationship with the United States government begins to fall apart when Ed Kaiser begins to steal classified material. The government becomes increasingly concerned about the information Kaiser has discovered as planned plots are taken to retrieve from Kaiser the stolen classified documents. My father has a few nemeses, himself included. Aside from Kaiser's mental state of being a true threat, there is also Frank Sturgis who poses as the villain. While the CIA does warm up to Kaiser, Kaiser holds unto a dark secret that could blow the CIA's assassination plots wide open. Kaiser's estranged wife, SONIA KAISER, 30s, also proves to be a hazard to the happiness that Edwin so desperately seeks. Finally, Edwin’s boss at U.S. Customs, STEVE 50s, the cold and uncaring head of the department, jeopardizes Edwin's career. My mother, her life and spirit are broken after the death of her husband. Her world begins to crumble after learning how her husband had died. And, she must learn how to stand on her own two feet again. The problem is that everything she's doing to make herself happier is either very self-destructive and extremely psychologically damaging, or will end up leaving her more broken than she was before. She ultimately makes the decision to hide in secret and keep the information she learned about her husband from her children so that no harm would come to them. She has learned that the FBI is obeying the directive from J. Edgar Hoover to toe the line on the "single assassin" theory on one side, and the possible conspirators on the other with Edwin Kaiser standing in the middle. The very definition of being in between a rock and a hard place when Edwin Kaiser's attaché briefcase disappears after his death.

Thank you for the heads up David, I think I have it down, and I know there are some very smart people in this forum. I respect that which is the reason I would also respect their overview of my material. I'm not sure if going to a Library for a comparison of life stories is the answer, could be, however, what I have now is fully completed. I'm not sure how I would compare someone else life story to how we lived unless you mean how the sentence structure is set forth. I'm now ready to fully expose everything I know.

Scott

What I was getting that is this. Publishers want you to present a story in a structural form that appeals to readers. This means chapter structure, paragraph structure, sentence structure. If you send them a book typescript that looks like something they can sell - they will buy it and assign a textual editor to review it with you and improve it.

If you study books that you like as models of memoir and intelligence study, than the typescript you prepare, and the publisher accepts, is closer to what you want than the result might be if you just ask someone to make your sentences better and whatnot.

If you prepare something that gets across what you want in the way you want to tell it, and sell that, you're better off in the long run than just adjusting technical points of writing and having the publisher's editor reshape your story into her opinion of how the story should be in order to sell.

Hitchcock only used to shoot so much film, so that the studio's editors couldn't re-cut his movies differently than he envisioned them. It's the same with books. Do most of the editor's job, and the editor can only improve on that, and not give you an adjusted story that you might not like in the end. Write your version of a memoir/intelligence study that will sell, so that you don't end up with the editor's version.

Edited by David Andrews

Scott

What I was getting that is this. Publishers want you to present a story in a structural form that appeals to readers. This means chapter structure, paragraph structure, sentence structure. If you send them a book typescript that looks like something they can sell - they will buy it and assign a textual editor to review it with you and improve it.

If you study books that you like as models of memoir and intelligence study, than the typescript you prepare, and the publisher accepts, is closer to what you want than the result might be if you just ask someone to make your sentences better and whatnot.

If you prepare something that gets across what you want in the way you want to tell it, and sell that, you're better off in the long run than just adjusting technical points of writing and having the publisher's editor reshape your story into her opinion of how the story should to tell.

Hitchcock only used to shoot so much film, so that the studio's editors couldn't re-cut his movies differently than he envisioned them. It's the same with books. Do most of the editor's job, and the editor can only improve on that, and not give you an adjusted story that you might not like in the end. Write your version of a memoir/intelligence study that will sell, so that you don't end up with the editor's version.

You're a good man David, you didn't have to take your time and explain this to me, but you did, whereas most folks wouldn't care, or give someone like me the time of day. I especially like what you said when you say " Do most of the editor's job, and the editor can only improve on that, and not give you an adjusted story that you might not like in the end. Write your version of a memoir/intelligence study that will sell, so that you don't end up with the editor's version."

That has already happened to me. Now, I feel the real need to make myself explicitly clear. I have no hard feelings towards the publisher, I hold no resentment nor do I feel as though I should hold anything negative against him. I want everyone to know, I do not. I also want to make it clear that he is a good man who in my opinion had good intentions to do well with the book.

My biggest mistake is that I strive for perfection, perhaps, it's my OCD. I'm not sure how many folks even know this, but every time, not most of the time or some of the time, but everytime I post some information, I know that what I posted, I read multiple times, and as I read it back, if it does not make sense to me, I will catch the misspelled words and words I duplicated, sentence structure and so on until I feel as though progress has been made.

I do not hold a grudge, by doing so, it will not allow me to get on with life. As I've said, I only blame myself for the first book, there is no one else to blame. I'm assuming 300 or more books have been sold while only 8 eight are reviews at Amazon, thank God there are only 8. I was hoping I wouldn't be finding myself agreeing with those who have rated the book with a single star.

It made me stop and think what it is I can do to make it better, that is, I need to tell our entire family's life story, and, although my mother wanted some information left out, I had to put it in there. She doesn't know it yet. And, I can only assume it will either make matters worse later down the road, or she'll just say, it is, what it is, what is done, is done. I did it for one thing and one thing only, therapy.

I would post a page more or two, but from the looks of what I have posted already, it appears as though this book has taken yet another toilet flush, or there are no interested bystanders.

Scott

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Scott - write a timeline of your father's life as you know it. Be as careful as you can with factual detail and as accurate as you can about what happened when, the 'when' being the operative word. For instance, If he met Sturgis, exactly when and where to the best of your knowledge?

The intro is the last thing you need to write. It's all in your head. Piece it together, painstakingly, before trying to put it together in narrative form.

I think the most important thing is that you don't have to be an historian. Recounting as impartially and carefully as you can your father's life as an operative is your only task. You don't have to fill in the historical blanks by yourself - let others do that. Share what is important and unique and let the chips fall.

If you can do that, you can easily get a writer to help.

I think that it will sell better if it's a combined family memoir and a study of what you've learned about anti-Castro and intelligence work in researching your father's life. That's why I suggested Gaeton Fonzi's book to look at, because it's partly a memoir of his journey investigating the Kennedy hit.

Publishers love the "journey" structure - it's a form of storytelling that they understand, and that sells well to readers. I don't know your first book or whether it was print book or e-book. But you have the makings of a print book seller in the family story and anti-Castro community research that I've seen on this Forum.

So, to add to what Paul said above, you should also be writing a timeline of your research into the anti-Castro movement and the intelligence community. That's the all-important second half of your work. Unlike Paul, I think you do have to be a historian here. Do it before a publisher's editor compels you to do it - you'll be happier with the results, and make a better book.

Remember the old truism about Picasso - you have to learn the rules of art before you can break them.

Edited by David Andrews

I think that it will sell better if it's a combined family memoir and a study of what you've learned about anti-Castro and intelligence work in researching your father's life. That's why I suggested Gaeton Fonzi's book to look at, because it's partly a memoir of his journey investigating the Kennedy hit.

Publishers love the "journey" structure - it's a form of storytelling that they understand, and that sells well to readers. I don't know your first book or whether it was print book or e-book. But you have the makings of a print book seller in the family story and anti-Castro community research that I've seen on this Forum.

So, to add to what Paul said above, you should also be writing a timeline of your research into the anti-Castro movement and the intelligence community. That's the all-important second half of your work. Unlike Paul, I think you do have to be a historian here. Do it before a publisher's editor compels you to do it - you'll be happier with the results, and make a better book.

Remember the old truism about Picasso - you have to learn the rules of art before you can break them.

Hi David.

I have certainly focused on just that. The book itself is a documentary, it's a true story based on the life of my father, starting as early as seven years old and until his death. I provide documented evidence including background information on all the individuals my father worked with. There is so much information crammed all up into 321 pages that this documentary, drama, lovestory, thriller, actionpac, novel is all rolled up into one book, it really is explosive, and, I'm not just saying that, you'd really have to read the entire book to see where I'm coming from.

Best Wishes,

Scott

P.S. Most importantly, it's "non-fiction" [a disclosure needed to be implemented] for Hemming's approval. Cough - cough....

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Does this story connect with the JFK assassination?

I'm not sure how to answer that as there are so many events going on in the book, that JFK is certainly one of them Stephen.

There's also the real reason Orlando Bosch was released, the real reason for Watergate, the plots to [kill] Nixon, and so much more.

Edited by Scott Kaiser

Can I just have a quick overview of how it connects to the JFK assassination?

I've only been saying it for over eight years, an overview will not explain all the missing information in between, how could you have half a story, or an overview of say a document without having the whole information?

Please don't tell me overviews are the bases of researchers facts.

Edited by Scott Kaiser