The Education Forum

Surreal Images in Dallas

Is anyone else watching CNN?

Main Street is flooded with police. Active shooter. Scene looks to be about a block from the TSBD.

Two officers confirmed shot. Unconfirmed reports of up to six injured officers. Witnesses reported at least 20 shots.

Edited by Josh Cron

I feel obligated to update this.

Chief of Police just released a statement saying the shooting was the work of 2 snipers. 11 officers shot. 3 have passed on.

Edited by Josh Cron

Yes, Josh, it was indeed surreal. It was interesting to me that the official spokesmen were incredibly open to the likelihood there was more than one sniper, and that no one from Dallas or the media appeared to be trying to fit it into a single shooter scenario. Compare and contrast...

Hi Josh... surreal indeed. I was thinking the same thing as I watched it unfold on TV last night.

"Snipers (plural) in Dallas"... not a phrase I ever expected to hear coming from any official source. It's unfortunate that it was not about 11/22/63, but a different kind of tragedy. Just sad and frustrating all around.

What prompted the protest gathering that paved the way for this? Had there been police-on-civilian violence in Dallas this year? (It's getting hard to keep track.)

EDIT: OK, my own answer:

"The protests in Dallas were among several across the country that were held after a Minnesota officer on Wednesday fatally shot Philando Castile , a black American, while he was in a car with his partner Diamond Reynolds and her daughter in a St. Paul suburb. Reynolds live streamed the aftermath of the shooting in a widely shared Facebook video.

"A day earlier, Alton Sterling was shot in Louisiana after being pinned to the pavement by two white officers. That, too, was captured on a mobile phone video."

So why a protest event in Dallas? Was a city permit issued?

Edited by David Andrews

What prompted the protest gathering that paved the way for this? Had there been police-on-civilian violence in Dallas this year? (It's getting hard to keep track.)

EDIT: OK, my own answer:

"The protests in Dallas were among several across the country that were held after a Minnesota officer on Wednesday fatally shot Philando Castile , a black American, while he was in a car with his partner Diamond Reynolds and her daughter in a St. Paul suburb. Reynolds live streamed the aftermath of the shooting in a widely shared Facebook video.

"A day earlier, Alton Sterling was shot in Louisiana after being pinned to the pavement by two white officers. That, too, was captured on a mobile phone video."

So why a protest event in Dallas? Was a city permit issued?

The Black Lives Matter movement is a national movement, and aims to use the media to alert Americans to the sad fact black Americans are far more likely to get shot by cops than non-black Americans. The movement is trying to force police forces to change their behavior but is being met with much resistance from policemen and right-wingers, who seem to think men arguing with police while black are asking for it.

In any event, it is viewed as a national problem, and protests have been organized in pretty much every city with a sizeable black population.

P.S. From what I could gather from the initial coverage, this was a non-violent protest surrounded by police,, that provided the snipers with some unwitting targets.

Edited by Pat Speer

Shepard Smith just said on FoxNews that the shooting occurred near "where Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated President John F. Kennedy in 1963." He couldn't say something like "where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963." No, he had to repeat the government lie about who did it.

With everything else going on in this country, that kind of media crap is just piling on.

If FoxNews wasn't so occupied right now with the Dallas shootings, there would be more talking heads on the air, in the wake of Hillary Clinton getting off the hook, demanding "equal justice for all." How about some justice, after 53 years, for John F. Kennedy, you flaming media hypocrites?

Looks like a lone gunman after all....

Dallas-Police-Shootings-July-2016.png

That's right. I think the guy who was caught on video behind a pillar on the sidewalk, firing his big gun and executing one of the cops, was just some kind of crisis actor.

From the column: To those of us who are of a certain age, the psychic signposts of Thursday night in Dallas marked a vaguely remembered route to hell. Snipers in buildings. The wounded being rushed to Parkland Hospital, for pity's sake. And when Don Lemon of CNN made the curious observation that the streets of Dallas seemed an unlikely venue for murderous gunplay, those of us who are of a certain age thought he was out of his mind.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a46545/dallas-police-shooting-consequences/

And when Don Lemon of CNN made the curious observation that the streets of Dallas seemed an unlikely venue for murderous gunplay, those of us who are of a certain age thought he was out of his mind.

Doug,

That's the same idiot who called the O.J.Simpson murders "the crime of the century."