The Education Forum

Albums with clues were released from 1967 to 1969. Sergeant Pepper's, Abbey Road, the White Album, and Magical Mystery Tour had a lot.

They broke up in 1970.

I was 12 to 14 at the time. I liked the music and I thought the clues were fun. I was an electronics hobbyist and I modified a record player so I could play their records backward. Though I didn't really spend that much time, as I had other interests as well.

I was very saddened by their breakup.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't this all start out as a hoax?

And did not the perps then admit it?

I got totally into this at the time and it was my belief-then and now- that John and the boys were just having a bit of fun. Of course there were "clues" and of course it was a hoax. Fetzer and his minion probably believe the earth is flat too.

I got totally into this at the time and it was my belief-then and now- that John and the boys were just having a bit of fun. Of course there were "clues" and of course it was a hoax. Fetzer and his minion probably believe the earth is flat too.

I agree Dawn. Lennon was a prankster as it's been said when he sang "Baby, You're A Rich Man," the words "...you're a rich man too" but he changed it toward the end in jest or as a dig to their manager Brian Epstein "...you're a rich fag Jew."

And something about the Abbey Road album cover with Paul being bare-footed...as in you're buried with no shoes on. Though by the time they made that album my hunch is the fun and games were over and they couldn't stand each other. Still...

Fetzer's just gotten more disconnected through the years so this is practically no surprise. When I last saw Paul mac Cartney, he was 70 years old and performed as I recall 43 songs in a 4 and a half hour concert. Of course, finding doubles able to do that are just a dime a dozen.

Sandy, I remember at the time the speculation "I buried Paul" but I chose to hear the other rumored "I'm very stoned". Though "stoned' admittedly can only be positively as a 1 syllable word with a long "o" as the vowel sound. Now at the bottom link, they play a link where John, later in an interview says it's "cranberry sauce".

The other reference was in the White album, Revolution #9 where playing the repetitive "#9" backwards sounds like the phrase "Turn me on, dead man".

Just going on Youtube you know there had to be some bloke who listened to 1000's of hours of Beatle tapes trying to ferret out and make sense of backward Beatle recordings.

https://youtu.be/l2LxS7SU8wI

I agree Dawn. Lennon was a prankster as it's been said when he sang "Baby, You're A Rich Man," the words "...you're a rich man too" but he changed it toward the end in jest or as a dig to their manager Brian Epstein "...you're a rich fag Jew."
And something about the Abbey Road album cover with Paul being bare-footed...as in you're buried with no shoes on. Though by the time they made that album my hunch is the fun and games were over and they couldn't stand each other. Still...

What four individuals would one likely associate with the burial of a body?

1. Mortician

2. Preacher

3. Grave Digger

4. Dead Person

I can't think of any other prominent player.

Here they are on the Abbey Road album cover.

beatles-abbey-road.jpg

Part of the hoax? Or just coincidence. In this case, the former IMO.

(Though why would the dead person be holding a cigarette?)

Other clues that might be coincidences:

• Paul's eyes are closed.
  • Paul is walking out of step.
  • The VW bug license plate has "28 IF." Paul would have been 28 had he not died.
  • Hold the picture up to the mirror and the license plate on the right side of the road has "DYE" IIRC. As in "die." (This photo has insufficient resolution.)

Fetzer's just gotten more disconnected through the years so this is practically no surprise. When I last saw Paul mac Cartney, he was 70 years old and performed as I recall 43 songs in a 4 and a half hour concert. Of course, finding doubles able to do that are just a dime a dozen.

Sandy, I remember at the time the speculation "I buried Paul" but I chose to hear the other rumored "I'm very stoned". Though "stoned' admittedly can only be positively as a 1 syllable word with a long "o" as the vowel sound. Now at the bottom link, they play a link where John, later in an interview says it's "cranberry sauce".

The other reference was in the White album, Revolution #9 where playing the repetitive "#9" backwards sounds like the phrase "Turn me on, dead man".

Just going on Youtube you know there had to be some bloke who listened to 1000's of hours of Beatle tapes trying to ferret out and make sense of backward Beatle recordings.

https://youtu.be/l2LxS7SU8wI

Kirk,

Assuming you weren't stoned when you heard the word "stoned" (a long shot, I'm sure ;) ), I'd say you must have heard the "cranberry sauce" version of the phrase. Because you heard the "s" sound instead of "p." Though I can't imagine how you heard a "t" or a short "o." Neither of these sounds exists in the three versions I've heard.

Obviously you heard "very" rather than "bury/berry."

BTW, I didn't mention this in my long post, but when I was looking around the internet for more information, I found some folks discussing the topic. They had concluded that not all the initial albums released had the "I buried Paul" version. From what I've seen, all the later releases of Strawberry Fields (in their Anthology, for example) have the "cranberry sauce" phrase. No surprise there. They've been saying since at least 1980 that John said "cranberry sauce."

Cool!, How did you do that?
So you're asking me? I'd say John is marching with his hands in pockets. Ringo is waddling. Paul is doing his best version of "boy in the hood', and George? Is doing his best impersonation of an R. Crum character?

I don't know, maybe I'm too sober, but I'm sure you'll tell me.

Cool!, How did you do that?

So you're asking me? I'd say John is marching with his hands in pockets. Ringo is waddling. Paul is doing his best version of "boy in the hood', and George? Is doing his best impersonation of an R. Crum character?

I don't know, maybe I'm too sober, but I'm sure you'll tell me.

How did I do that? Oh the usual way... I stole it from somebody who probably stole it from somebody else. Pretty funny, huh.

I'm happy to report that your answers are even better than the correct ones, and so you pass the test!

(Thanks for being a good sport with my "I'm very stoned" inspired silliness. :) )

Edited by Sandy Larsen

Ok so let's follow this "logic". Paul is killed and replaced by "Faul"/ Billy Shears. Extensive plastic surgery is done to hide the deed. Somehow, miraculously, this guy can learn to sing, play and WRITE just like Paul. So, to keep the secret "safe" they leave hints all over the songs and album covers.

Yup Fetzer has outdone himself on this one :news

Jim,

It seems that most people these days deny the clues even exist. Nobody has come forward to admit they do. But there were definitely "clues" planted in some of the songs. And I think in some of the photos as well, though those things may just be weird psychedelic Beatles stuff. (A lot of it does seem to single out Paul, which is curious.)

Several years ago I went to YouTube and listened to some recording of Strawberry Fields where somebody says "I buried Paul. The word "I" and the letter "d" in buried aren't enunciated clearly. So it sounds more like "ah bury paul..." with the "l" sound trailing off at the end.

A couple years later I went back to YouTube to see if there were clues I hadn't heard before. At one point I wanted to hear the "I buried Paul" thing again. (Just reminiscing.) And the strangest thing happened. First, I noticed that there weren't near as many clips of this to listen to. It was like most had disappeared. Anyway, I listened to one of the clips that was there. It no longer said "ah bury Paul!" Instead it said "an bury sau." I thought, what the heck? I'd listened to that thing numerous times over the decades and I'd always heard "ah bury Paul." Till then.

So I listened to all the clips I could find, and not one of them said what I'd always heard before. Not one! I read the comments, and most people were saying they heard it as "cranberry sauce." Hmmm....

I was suspicious. I did a Google search of the YouTube website (that is to say, NOT a search from within YouTube) for the phrase "I buried Paul." This time I got numerous hits, just like before. Back then Google saved a cache of every deleted page. I clicked on the Cache link for several of these, and they all showed a notification that the video had been deleted because of copyright violation!

Do you see what I was discovering? The "I buried Paul" clips had all been removed and replaced with the new and different "cranberry sauce" clips. (Why were these select clips allowed to remain?)

There's more.

I then listened again very carefully to several of the "cranberry sauce" versions, and I actually found an intermediate version. It was like halfway between "ah bury Paul" and "an bury sau" (or, rather, "an berry sau") versions. I don't recall now, but something like "ah bury sau." Actually, I believe that was it.

So, in summary, what started out as "ah bury Paul" transitioned to "ah bury sau," and that later transitioned to "an bury sau" ("an berry sau"). Or at least, I believe that was the order of the transition. Because it only makes sense if someone were trying to gradually change "I buried Paul" to "cranberry sauce."

Some of you are probably saying I'm crazy, but I'm not. This really happened.

Over the decades I have always believed that the Beatles clues were intentionally planted... some are so obvious. Probably as a marketing stunt, though maybe John was just goofing around with the tracks, recording stuff backward for kicks. But I also always believed that the Beatles later wished they hadn't done it. It was a stain on their reputation.

It is my belief that when they saw what was happening with YouTube, they decided to take action on the most obvious of the clues, the one that doesn't require being played backward. And that was the "I buried Paul" clue. (Other clues may have been changed on YouTube as well. I wouldn't be able to tell since I've only heard those two or three times each.)

John always claimed he said cranberry sauce. I never heard it. Always heard I buried Pauuu. Haven't run across an altered version.

+

• 9 months later...

LOL - Once again we see that no CT is too  outlandish, stupid or impossible for the 'distinguished' professor. To the contrary the more outlandish, stupid or impossible the 'theory' the more likely he is to champion it.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot of period video on YouTube covering the "Paul is dead" thing, and if you just evaluate the material disseminated in the late 1960s, it seems clear that the rumor and the "clues" are coming from within the Beatles' camp.  I suspect it expressed some sardonic resentment of showbiz.