The Education Forum

Flooring Crew in TSBD

Glenn Nall

I'm only going on this tired, old memory and not messin' with looking for it, but I think I just read that not only did she keep it, she got it and then fired her attorney/friend/business manager (Jim Martin? friend of Gen Max Clark) pretty soon after, and somehow the agreement about the "film" was annulled, or something like that.

Just did a search for Tex-Italia Films / Marina Oswald.

Was the $132,000 actually paid to her? And if so, did she keep this huge (at that time ) amount of money?

Was this before or after her WC testimony?

First link listed in my search was an essay by a George Bailey titled "Oops."

Have read about these "Oops" points many times before but it's still unsettling to see them again even now.

I'm only going on this tired, old memory and not messin' with looking for it, but I think I just read that not only did she keep it, she got it and then fired her attorney/friend/business manager (Jim Martin? friend of Gen Max Clark) pretty soon after, and somehow the agreement about the "film" was annulled, or something like that.

Yes. She was paid. The film was never made. She allegedly had a messy affair with Martin and Robert Oswald stepped in to coordinate the "breakup". She was under heavy surveillance and it looks like Hoover got "dailies".

oh, that's right. I remember the testimony now of who was most at fault for sleeping with each other. Apparently they were both ashamed. Can't imagine why.

Reading the true grit on Marina as a human makes me think she and Lee really were meant for each other. She was a plain ol' cranky, messy, lazy b-you-know-what. Was shuffled from St Nich house to house and complained of living conditions that Lee provided and avoided housework by sleeping til noon. Hence the shuffling, I'm thinking. Amazing that Bouhe and the Fords and Paine - well, Paine didn't - put up with that crap.

Must have been some reason.

Well if you read Ozzy's Diary he was quite the ladies man as well.

The real question is if the movie contract was a "payoff". The production company seemed to have only funded that one contract and never anything else and then didn't exercise their "rights". Can't be profitable.

For reference, other accounts describe the flooring crew as being TSBD employees pulled from regular duties and assigned to the work...including people from the second company building a few blocks away where the company had its headquarters. The big end of summer back to school shipping rush was over and employees were available for misc work...as I recall, the fact that there was even an opening for Oswald during what was normally the off season was because a "puller" had been assigned to the flooring and Oswald's job was most likely temporary.

As to the building itself, Ian Griggs interviewed employees in the building who made it clear it was unlocked through early evening because of the book company folks who had space

in the building and who came and went after hours on occasion. The same fellow told Ian that even that weekend when he came back to Dallas from vacation he found the place

unlocked and walked to throughout the place without meeting a policeman or seeing any security. Later the reason given for not further vetting prints was that the building had indeed

been open and uncontrolled all weekend so just matching to a list of employees was a waste of energy

Couple of things here. Why would Roy Truly hire an inexperienced, temporary employee(Oswald) to do a "full-time" job as an order filler when he had taken "full-time" order fillers and others to make up a crew to do the temporary job of laying plywood over the existing floor(s)? As a former employer, this makes no sense to me. If I was faced with the same situation, I would hire a temporary employee to be on the temporary crew laying the plywood floor. Oswald had to be trained to do the "full-time" order-filler job after which he was on his own with no immediate supervision which I learned, as a former employer, is a recipe for disaster. If Oswald was on the flooring crew he would have had immediate supervision(the others in the flooring crew plus Shelley) which would minimize the chance for screw-ups. Plus Truly is of much interest as he was the person who named Oswald, complete which physical description, as missing from the TSBD 20 minutes after the assassination, even though there were other TSBD employees absent after the assassination. Plus Truly refused to let the FBI fingerprint all the TSBD employees and Hoover didn't object.

As for Marina and the Tex-Italia contact, I find it interesting that Marina first testified before the Warren Commission on Feb 3, 1964 and the Tex-Italia contract was done around a week later. Quid Pro Quo maybe?