The Education Forum

Researching The Photo Of The Marine With The Bump On His Wrist

Hey Tommy,

This might be a clue. Looks like "PANAMA" probably. I lightened it by adjusting the levels a bit.

[...]

Yes, although that one's not marked "May 59," so it's not exactly "probative."

The one with the bump on the wrist is the same format, but with scalloped edges, and is marked "May 59."

Scroll down to: Slide 73: Oswald snapshot

http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu/cdm/ref/collection/po-jfkwhite/id/3180

The partial snapshot on the left was taken from farther back. Note the squarish thing in the background in both photos.

-- Tommy :sun

PS I believe Oswald was supposed to have been back at El Toro by May, 1959.

Edited by Thomas Graves

On 10/8/2016 at 3:18 AM, Thomas Graves said:
On 10/8/2016 at 2:50 AM, Chris Newton said:

It could be a bunker. That would be found in the canal zone as well.

Chris,

I think you're right. When you zoom in a lot on the photo in the upper right hand corner, you can see the right side of the building going down below the top surface of the ground.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth346982/m1/1/

If you're right that the "bump on the wrist photo" was taken in Panama, then it's very unlikely that it was taken by Oswald.

Something to ponder: Was the photo taken with his medium format Imperial Reflex? Or with his cheapo 35 mm?

Edited by Thomas Graves

Chris,

I forgot to mention that somebody said the "Bump On The Wrist" photo was taken during "artillery radar training."

Did the Marines have that in Panama?

I don't think the word [P]ANAMA is in Oswald's handwriting. The "M" in particular.

As far as I know, Oswald left Japan in December, 1958 and was back at El Toro by May, 1959.

Who could have taken the photo and given / sent it to Oswald, and why?

Because they wanted to show him the guy who was going to be impersonating him in Mexico City?

SaulMexico3.jpg

(I'm talking about the big guy who's pointing a pistol or something at himself but also pointing a finger at the photographer in the "Bumpy Wrist" photo. Note facial resemblance and slouching shoulders.)

Edited by Thomas Graves

bump for Tommy

Yes, Chris. I "seen" it.

It's Oswald's writing. The unusual "G" in ATSUGI is the same as the one in "PHOTOGRAPHER" and in "MAGAZINE" in his September, 1963, Application for Tourist Card to Visit Mexico.

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh25/pdf/WH25_CE_2481.pdf

It still doesn't tell us when and where the "bumpy wrist' photo was taken, however. Last night I started looking at all of the photos, one-by-one, to see how many of them were printed on the same kind of scalloped-edge paper that the "bumpy wrist" one was. Not finished yet, but early on I found one like that that was dated "Dec 1958," and was taken from inside a ship, looking over the gunwale at the ocean. The ship is probably the USS Terrell County, which Oswald took from Japan to San Francisco in December of 1958.

Edited by Thomas Graves