The Education Forum

Trump?

Robert Prudhomme

That might be so.  But I think that Trump and Putin want to stop the crazy PNAC stuff that is going on in the Middle East.  It was that policy that led to the origins of ISIS in the first place.  Again, this is a comparison with Kennedy.  Kennedy changed policy in the Middle East from the Dulles brothers.  They had favored Saudi Arabia over Nasser.  Kennedy chilled Saudi Arabia and tried to mend fences with Nasser.  He thought that if we favored Saudi Arabia it endangered the unleashing of Moslem fundamentalism.  Well now, we are in league with Saudi Arabia to do just that against Syria.

The other thing is, I think Trump wants to stop the extension of NATO to the borders of Russia.  Which has really made Putin nervous and I don't blame him. What the USA did in Ukraine was incredibly dangerous and escalatory.  This was another PNAC goal. And I should add, this was in direct violation of a deal made with Gorbachev, not to extend NATO into Eastern Europe.

Again, this was Kennedy's aim in 1963, to relax tensions with the USSR.

Edited by James DiEugenio

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Peter McGuire said:

Did anyone else think that when  the Billy Bush tapes came out,  it was a political assassination of Trump? 

A Bush on the Grabby Knoll.

Peter, I response to your raising the point of national security I suggest you read the link below if you have not; I have been blogging on Russia and Russian related national security issues and will be following up in that area with more blog posts.  While I agree with Jim on certain issue in regard to things we could do to ease some tension with Putin, I have to say I am far more hawkish, mistrustful of Putin, and in general mistrustful of Russian foreign policy under Putin than Jim may be - I always like to be transparent when I'm being right wing...grin.  Having said that, I think there are some venues to a rapprochement with Russia, but historically they are far better negotiators and far more ready to violate their agreements than the West has been, so caution has to be a watchword.  If Trump thinks he can out negotate Putin he is sadly mistaken and it could be tragic. JFK knew had to "negotiate" national security with the Soviets; he should be used as an example of "best practices" but I'm not sure Trump looks to anyone in that regard.

https://warisboring.com/donald-trump-wins-and-we-have-no-idea-what-will-happen-8de223692f1#.c0pi53gni

Published on Zero Hedge (http://www.zerohedge.com)

Trump Reveals Policy Goals: "Building That Wall", End "War On Coal", Repeal Obamacare, Dismantle Dodd-Frank

By Tyler Durden

Created 11/10/2016 - 14:21

On his transition website GreatAgain.gov [4], the Trump team has laid out the framework of his initial policies with policies focused i) on American Security including as Defense and National security, Immigration Reform and Building That Wall, and Energy Independence; ii) Getting America Back to Work Again including Tax Reform; Regulatory Reform; Trade Reform; Education; Transportation & Infrastructure and Financial Services Reform; and iii) Government for the people including Healthcare Reform (Obamacare), Veterans Administration Reform and Protecting Americans' Constitutional Rights.

The key highlights include:
•overhaul in immigration policies, including "Building that Wall" , the Trump transition team will "execute on the following ten-point plan to restore integrity to our immigration system, protect our communities, and put America first" - i) Build a Wall on the Southern Border; ii) End Catch-and-Release; iii) Zero Tolerance for Criminal Aliens; iv) Block Funding for Sanctuary Cities; v) Cancel Unconstitutional Executive Orders & Enforce All Immigration Laws; vi) Suspend the Issuance of Visas to Any Place Where Adequate Screening Cannot Occur; vii) Ensure that Other Countries Take Their People Back When We Order Them Deported; viii) Finally Complete the Biometric Entry-Exit Visa Tracking System; ix) Turn Off the Jobs and Benefits Magnet
•promoting a strong, robust military force to defend against the "threat posed to our nation and our allies by radical ideologies that direct and inspire terrorism." The administration will push for immediate and sustainable actions to counter the threats posed by radical ideologies; will address the "catastrophic threats posed by nuclear weapons and cyber attacks" and will "ensure our strategic nuclear triad is modernized to ensure it continues to be an effective deterrent, and his Administration will review and minimize our nation’s infrastructure vulnerabilities to cyber threats."
•dismantling and replacing of the Dodd-Frank Act financial-sector law with pro-growth policies. This means that banks will be allowed to not only engage in prop trading again, but to invest directly in hedge funds. “The Dodd-Frank economy does not work for working people. Bureaucratic red tape and Washington mandates are not the answer,” says statement on Trump’s official transition website.
•changing the tax code: policies since President Obama took office “have been blocked in one way or another” by Democratic opposition, the transition website says in section outlining “tax reform/economic vision.” It adds that “a Trump administration tax plan can be summarized as lower, simpler, fairer, and pro-growth.” as the website summarizes "a Trump Administration tax plan can be summarized as lower, simpler, fairer, and pro-growth."
•addressing the millions of American jobs that have been lost over the last decade "because of trade deals that do not put Americans first." The administration will "reverse decades of policies that have pushed jobs out of our country" by making it more desirable for companies to stay, create jobs here, pay taxes here, and rebuild the economy. The new Administration will make it more desirable for companies to stay, create jobs here, pay taxes here, and rebuild our economy. Our workers and the communities that support them will thrive again, as more and more companies compete to set up manufacturing in the U.S., to hire our young people and give them hope and a real shot at prosperity again. America will become, once more, a destination for jobs, production and innovation and will once more show economic leadership in the world.
•fixing education: Trump will advance policies to support learning-and-earning opportunities at the state and local levels for approximately 70 million school-age students, 20 million post-secondary students, and 150 million working adults, To achieve this, Trump will promote high-quality early childhood, magnet, STEAM or theme-based programs; expansion of choice through charters, vouchers, and teacher-driven learning models; and relief from U.S. Department of Education regulations that inhibit innovation.
•restructuring US energy policies including ending the "war on coal": "make full use" of both renewable and tradition energy sources. "America will unleash an energy revolution that will transform us into a net energy exporter, leading to the creation of millions of new jobs, while protecting the country’s most valuable resources –- our clean air, clean water, and natural habitats,” the website says. “The Trump administration is firmly committed to conserving our wonderful natural resources and beautiful natural habitats." The transition team also vows to open onshore and offshore leasing for federal land and waters for fossil fuel producers, streamline energy permitting, end “war on coal.” The site also pledges “top-down review of all anti-coal regulations issued by the Obama administration.”
•"Repeal Obamacare" - the Trump administration will work with Congress to repeal Affordable Care Act with replacement that "returns the historic role in regulating health insurance to the states," according to transition plan released Thursday. Replacement would include promotion of Health Savings Accounts and option to buy insurance across states lines. The transition team also says it will act to “protect innocent human life from conception to natural death, including the most defenseless and those Americans with disabilities” and "modernize Medicare, so that it will be ready for the challenges with the coming retirement of the Baby Boom generation – and beyond."
•protect Americans' constitutional rights: the Trump administration will veto legislation that exceeds Congressional authority, take actions as Chief Executive and Commander-in-Chief that are consistent with his constitutional role, and nominate Judges and Supreme Court Justices who are committed to interpreting the Constitution and laws according to their original public meaning. Trump says "he will defend Americans' fundamental rights to free speech, religious liberty, keeping and bearing arms, and all other rights guaranteed to them in the Bill of Rights and other constitutional provisions." He hopes to minimize the role of government including the "Tenth Amendment guarantee that many areas of governance are left to the people and the States, and are not the role of the federal government to fulfill."

The full breakdown can be found here [4].

safe_image.php?d=AQDD8ZxOUHwEXkJd&w=158&
Leading news site for global finance, economics, market, and political analysis.
zerohedge.com

Pretty scary agenda Doug.

Larry:  I didn't know you were from the Pipes/Kissinger/Rice school of Sovietology.

The one that thought Gorbachev really was not a reformer and instead cozied up to that drunken fool Boris Yeltsin.

Oh no Jim, please don't associate me with Kissinger or his school of thought.  My concepts go much further back, learned and  stated by Acheson in the first years of the Cold War when Stalin was taking over nation by nation in Eastern Europe. Acheson simply noted that for the Russians, both diplomacy and negotiation are merely tactics, elements of  their geopolitical strategy (whatever it is at the time).  If that happens to be territorial expansion, as it was then, basically the key to negotiation is to demonstrate to them that something they want to do will cost more in resources than it is worth to them, if they see that they will not do it.  If its not, they will.  Purely a calculation, a calculus.  JFK understood that quite well, we can see it in Berlin, we can see it in the missile crisis, and we can see it in the Congo. Acheson also appreciated that they prefer to use surrogates, in particular surrogate military forces if possible...let the Albanians go into Greece, provide the resources, arms, advisors and if you get caught just deny it - think Korea, think Ukraine, let your opponent bleed.  JFK grasped this, you can see it in his plans to deal with Soviet clams on Berlin. It doesn't need to lead to conflict or combat - if you understand the calculus - and he did.  The people you name were pursuing a much different approach, more like the neocon polemic - "rollback" is one term for it.  That sort of approach can indeed lead to very bad things, in 1983 it almost led to nuclear exchange.  Enough of that, as far as Kissinger, I consider him a war criminal, as to Rice, I would charge here with dereliction of duty over 9/11...nope, no fandom here. 

I'm late here but as deplorable as Trump was during the campaign and with the s##t he says and has done with women, I think we should give him a chance and see what happens.  One thing that was a turn-off to me with Clinton is her neo-con philosophy with Russia.

As much as we may not like who and what Putin has done, it's really not our business.  If Trump wants to try to reach out to him and have cordial relations, then so be it.  Better that than the ridiculous drum beating and s###t stirring.

And in an odd way - as Jim D has pointed out - Trump seems to be doing the same thing that Kennedy was trying to do, giving his peace speech in June, having the private line to the Kremlin, and he even reached out to try to get along with Castro.

I read today that the Democrats blew it on 11/8 because:

1.  They went establishment by going with Clinton;
2.  They did it again when they went with Kaine for VP instead of someone like Warren; and
3.  48% of them did not vote.

Bernie Sanders pretty much called the election in an August 2015 speech he gave.

21 hours ago, Roger DeLaria said:

What a circus that will be.

Robert, that could be a circus but check these two links on who might end up as the top Presidential advisor... and

if you thought the neocons were dangerous, just ponder this:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/steve-bannon-trump-chief-of-staff/

www.wired.com/2016/11/alt-right-will-fail-even-president-trump/

161110-first-ladies-mbe-508p_ff2f4b9244dc95a04246c19551d7b99b.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

First Lady Michelle Obama meets with Melania Trump for tea in the Yellow Oval Room of the White House, Nov. 10. Chuck Kennedy / The White House

"Plagiarism, biotch. I'll spell it for you. P-l-a-g-i-a-r-i-s-m. Google it if you don't know what it means."