The Education Forum

Radio interviews with me and Alexandra Zapruder

I did a 23-minute interview today on the assassination
with Jim Engster in Louisiana, an open-minded interviewer
who approaches the subject from various angles. My
interview is preceded with one with Alexandra Zapruder,
whose deplorable new book I dispute in my segment.

http://www.jimengster.com/jim-engster-podcasts/

I totally disagree that Alexandra Zapruder's book is "deplorable" - it is a fascinating insight into the impact of the film on her family, and gives us a never-before seen or understood look behind much of the film's history.

What I do find sadly "deplorable" is that you cite Doug Horne, Homer McMahon and Dino Brugioni as "proof" - or even "evidence" - that the film has been altered.

Chris

3 hours ago, Chris Scally said:

I totally disagree that Alexandra Zapruder's book is "deplorable" - it is a fascinating insight into the impact of the film on her family, and gives us a never-before seen or understood look behind much of the film's history.

What I do find sadly "deplorable" is that you cite Doug Horne, Homer McMahon and Dino Brugioni as "proof" - or even "evidence" - that the film has been altered.

Chris

I'll take Doug Horne (AARB investigator) anyday over a Zapruder family member (evidently now author) trying to make 'another' buck on the Z-film. Hell, the family was paid $16+million US taxpayer dollars for the *alleged* in-camera original Zapruder film. And they're STILL at the JFK assassination trough! <sigh>. I find that odd.

Joseph:

Thanks for taking the time to reply - it is appreciated.

If I can for one moment speak in general terms about your views on the book, as summarized in your Amazon review,  I don't think the book was ever meant to address all the various issues raised by the film, and the multiplicity of complex and at times very acrimonious debates it has engendered over the years. My reading of the book was very much in the context of the title - "Twenty-Six Seconds: A Personal History of the Zapruder Film", the "moving, untold family story behind Abraham Zapruder's film footage of the Kennedy assassination and its lasting impact on our world". In that context, I think it is an excellent book, easy to read, and provides a perspective that has never before been revealed by a very private family.    

With reference to your specific question about the Doug Horne/Dino Brugioni interview, I have indeed watched it, and on more than one or two occasions !

I don't for one moment doubt Mr. Brugioni's sincerity, but I simply believe he is wrong - as was Homer McMahon in his "NPIC event" account. Late in the evening/night of November 23, 1963, Brugioni was dealing with a Secret Service-provided 8mm print of the film, at a time when Life were in possession of the original. So, irrespective of where it came from, it had already been slit from its camera-original format, and was a copy of undetermined provenance and generation. I have had the very unique opportunity of examining a copy of one of the 16mm black-and-white copies of the film made in Chicago during the afternoon of November 23. The film is in unslit camera-original format (so you can see both sides of the film simultaneously as it is projected, one side 'right-way-up', while the other side is upside-down), and it was made before the original was slit or was damaged in any way. From my own examination of that film, I am absolutely convinced that the film I viewed is genuine, and complete and intact in every way.

So, while Doug Horne's account may well be "detailed and convincing" to some, I find neither his nor Dino Brugioni's accounts to be credible.

Chris.

Edited by Chris Scally