The Education Forum

DVP's New Master Video/Audio Index

FYI....

Here's a new Master Index listing/catalog of all the programs in my video/audio collection, which is an extensive and frequently expanding resource that might prove useful to some people out there.

This catalog includes thousands of video and audio files (JFK-related and otherwise), nearly all of which are available for streaming, downloading, and embedding through the handy Google Drive file hosting service.

If anybody finds a broken link or a misspelled word (or some other mistake), please let me know.

Thanks.

Click the logo below....

Audio-Video-Master-Index-Logo.png

Edited by David Von Pein

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/8/2016 at 1:33 PM, Hugo Langendoen said:

Thanks for this great list of resources. It is wonderful to have so many items in one place! 

That's what I was thinking when I started to put that catalog of links together. I wanted something comprehensive, fast-loading, and text searchable. And the new index meets all of those criteria. It took me ten days to create just that one page (working on it 13-15 hours a day). :hotorwot  And I've added about 50 more links since I first posted this thread on December 5th, and I shall be adding to the index many more times in the future, I am sure.

Thank you, Hugo and Chris, for your comments (and your interest).

Here's another custom logo for the Index (I like to create logos too)....

DVP-Video-Catalog-Master-Index-Logo.png

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, Michael Walton said:

The CC button shows up but when I click on it, the subtitles (auto mode) don't come on.  Is it possible for you to go into it and turn it on?

I have no control over that Captions button, Michael. There is no way for me to turn it "on" or "off". But that CC/Subtitles button shouldn't be there at all. No captions have ever been available for Google Drive videos. That option, in fact, was just added to the function controls on the Drive video players within the last few weeks. Prior to that, no Captions button was there at all.

What I think has happened is that the Google Drive players have now totally mimicked the players used at YouTube. (They're both "Google" entities, of course.) They are identical in design, and they've now decided to transfer the "Captions/Subtitles" button over to the Drive players too, even though the captions are not available at Drive.

Now, it's quite possible, Michael, that captions will be available for those Drive videos at some point in the future. Perhaps the recent addition of the Caption button means that they plan to make such an option available there soon. I really don't know.

Of course, as you no doubt know, those "Auto Captions" that are used at YouTube are almost useless. They only represent a loose approximation of the actual quotes from the video, and most of the time the results are hilarious. But on some occasions, a few of the words being spoken are actually represented correctly in the captions. But more often than not, they are mangled badly.

I occasionally click on the Caption button on my Drive videos just to see if that option will start working some day. But so far, no dice.

Edited by David Von Pein

What you say makes sense, David.  For what it's worth, the auto function is getting much better.  I read a while back that Google bought out this small start-up that has come up with a better speech to text translator.  After I read that over the ensuing months, I've noticed a big improvement on auto captions. For example I was watching the 11/22 Cronkite bulletin elsewhere on YT and was amazed at how much better it was.

You can always tell when it's auto vs inserted text when the captions roll up one line at a time.

On 12/8/2016 at 9:28 PM, Michael Walton said:

For what it's worth, the auto function is getting much better.

That's good news. I hope Google Drive will add the Captions to their videos in the future. It would be quite useful to many people, as you suggested.

Edited by David Von Pein

Much obliged, Vince.

Finding a rare video (or audio) gem to add to my archive is always a treat. Such as this 1961 interview with President Kennedy, which was done live from the President's box in the stands at Griffith Stadium in Washington prior to the opening baseball game of the '61 season. It is the only time (to date) that a POTUS has been interviewed from the stands at a baseball game. This clip is especially satisfying for me, because it combines two of my favorites subjects for video archival purposes---JFK and baseball.

Photos....

http://kennedy-photos.blogspot.com/2012/06/kennedy-gallery-191.html

JFK-Opening-Day-Of-1961-Baseball-Season-

Edited by David Von Pein

It's nice to see you have 70's Reds games on your channel.  I grew up cheering for Rose, Bench, Morgan and the others.  I remember when I was 7 years old, we walked over from Newport to the newly opened Riverfront.  We had good blue seats and before the game, Bench was down by the rail signing autographs.  I went down late and tried to reach my hand through the others to see if he'd take it. He actually pushed hands away to make a "parting of the seas" and reached up and grabbed mine to sign. A great moment for me as he was one of my favorites along with Rose.

VIDEO TALK:
http://jfk-archives/video-links-and-miscellaneous-discussion

NBC-TV 11/22/63 COVERAGE (DVP's HIGH-QUALITY RAW FILES):
https://drive.google.com/folder/NBC-TV Assassination Coverage

MISC. RADIO COVERAGE FROM NOVEMBER 22-24, 1963:
https://drive.google.com/folder/JFK Assassination Radio Coverage

Edited by David Von Pein

Hey, David, since you know so much about the early film footage, I thought I'd ask you a question. I was looking through Douglas Brinkley's book on Walter Cronkite the other day. In the book, Brinkley quotes a CBS newsman named Lew Wood, who claims he smuggled a Carcano onto the sixth floor of the depository and re-enacted the shooting for a camera, but that CBS refused to air the footage. (The implication is that this was done on the weekend of the shooting, if not the day of the shooting, but the precise day is not named.) Just as bad, Wood claims they got footage of a blood-soaked Trauma Room One, just after the President's body had been removed, but that CBS refused to air that as well.

I suspect this guy is full of beans, but thought I'd run this by you to see if you can remember any such footage--if only a snippet--making it onto the air.