The Education Forum

DVP's New Master Video/Audio Index

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a video index by subject, David? Here's a couple of examples how such could really aid your visitors (especially me):

1. I'm looking for a video clip of Jesse Curry asking the public to bring their home movies and photos of the assassination to the police to help them in their investigation. I remember seeing that clip on TV the assassination weekend, but don't remember if it was aired on national or Dallas TV. I refer to David's video index, look up Jesse Curry, read a brief synopsis of news conferences featuring Mr. Curry & THERE IT IS!!! David has just saved me hours of digging, searching, downloading & screening through video clips. He has become my hero in the process.

2. Jim DiEugenio wants to know when the Malcolm Couch film was first shown on national or Dallas TV. Jim is curious about whether the Franzen family (seen in the Zapruder film) are also seen in the Mal Couch film. Jim refers to David's online video index, quickly finds the clip he wants & downloads it. David now is hero to 2 people who start camping out near his house in hopes of gaining David's autograph.

Multiply it out & estimate how popular you could become in a very short time, David. It might get so big that you'd be able to be Taylor Swift's next door neighbor....who knows? David might even start receiving Christmas gifts from Jim. It could really snowball....

Just sayin....

Respectfully & Sincerely,

Brad Milch

PS: BTW, David, some EF readers may be of the opinion that YouTube has everything JFK connected, so why bother with DVP's audio/visual collection? Well, those of that opinion might be surprised to learn that some of what is up on YouTube has been edited by whoever uploaded the visual. In the case of the Malcolm Couch film footage, I have yet to find a complete version of his film that was broadcast on TV the assassination weekend; all I ever have seen on 'the tube' have been edited to just as Malcolm passes the DPD officer with his pistol drawn in the area near the reflecting pool that Rosemary Willis was running to keep up with JFK's parade car (seen in the Zapruder, Dorman, Bell & Martin films). Malcolm filmed the meridian & south knoll area from the top of the street near the TSBD's 'concrete divider/island down to where the camera car he was in was about to enter the triple underpass/overpass. James Darnell was also filming the north knoll area at the same time. It may come as a surprise to some just how many spectators seen in the few amateur films & photos of the actual attack on JFK & entourage  lingered or vanished in the short time it took Couch/Darnell to capture their respective footages. 

For those interested EF readers that view or download YouTube videos, it wouldn't hurt to cross check what David Von Pein has posted on his TouTube channels & websites. He might have a complete version of a visual that a reader only has an edited version of. David's version might be of superior quality. YouTube can be (as Forrest Gump's mom would tell him) 'like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get'.

A high school or college student should especially be a frequent visitor of David Von Pein IMHO. The magnificent audio/visual material he has assembled free of charge can only help interested students improve their grades IMHO.

Edited by Brad Milch

Thank you, Brad.

With respect to a "subject index"....

I like the idea, but to a certain extent that's exactly what my "Master Video Index" is --- it's a (mostly) alphabetical listing of every downloadable/streamable video file that I've got in my collection.

And one of the greatest features of Internet web browsers is the "Word Find" tool, which I use every day of my life. And I hope people are using it as an aid when searching my Video Index, because it's invaluable. For instance, take the "Jesse Curry" example you mentioned above (although I think you might have made a small error there; see my next post for an explanation)....

If somebody wants to find a video with "Jesse Curry" in the title, they can just load up my Video Index page (which only takes about 3 seconds to fully load, because the page consists of virtually all text, with very few pictures) and then simply start typing "Jesse..." on their keyboard. You only need to type "Jess", in fact, and the "Search As You Type" feature on most browsers will take you instantly down to the Jesse Curry files on my page.

The "text searchable" nature of the Index is something I pointed out at this forum two months ago, in fact....

"When I started to put that catalog of links together, I wanted something comprehensive, fast-loading, and text searchable. And the new index meets all of those criteria. It took me ten days to create just that one page (working on it 13-15 hours a day)...and I shall be adding to the index many more times in the future, I am sure." -- DVP; 12/8/16

A more intricate and "subject"-specific series of indexed entries would probably be useful too. But, Brad, at what point do you think such a detailed index would become kind of cumbersome and awkwardly large? And what things should be included in such a sub-index of subject matter? And what things should be excluded? The list of sub-topics is practically endless (as your two examples above tend to illustrate). My Master Index is pretty huge right now as it is (and getting bigger every week), sans any kind of detailed "subject" information.

I tried to incorporate as much pertinent information into the title of each video file that the space would permit for just a one-line title (and I did want to keep the titles down to only one line, because I think it looks better that way).

Thank you, Brad, for your suggestion.

Edited by David Von Pein

Brad Milch said:

I'm looking for a video clip of Jesse Curry asking the public to bring their home movies and photos of the assassination to the police to help them in their investigation.

That was actually DPD Captain Glen King who did that, not Curry. And, yes, I do have that footage in my archive (at 1:44:20 in the video below)....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oJmFGgfM3zT0htcGlSQzc5bVk/view

Now, I suppose it's quite possible that Jesse Curry ALSO made a plea to the public asking people to bring in their photos and films. I'm not sure. But I know Glen King made such a request on TV on Saturday, 11/23/63.

Brad Milch said:

Jim DiEugenio wants to know when the Malcolm Couch film was first shown on national or Dallas TV.

I can supply that video footage of the Mal Couch film being shown on TV on 11/22/63, but I can't confirm the exact time when it was first shown because my WFAA material is not totally uncut from start to finish. There are many gaps in the coverage. But the unedited Mal Couch film was definitely shown on WFAA-TV in Dallas at some point late in the day on November 22nd. If you look close, you can even see Marrion Baker dashing toward the Depository in the Couch film. Fast-forward 30 minutes into the video below (which is the exact same video I linked earlier in this post)....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oJmFGgfM3zT0htcGlSQzc5bVk/view

Edited by David Von Pein

2 hours ago, Michael Walton said:

Brad, use the search on his site.  It's blog software and it's run by Google and you know what they do.

The "Search This Blog" search engine in the upper left corner of all "Blogger" (Blogspot) blogs is, indeed, a pretty good search engine. But that tool wouldn't be very helpful for the kind of searching on a single webpage that Brad Milch was talking about. And it wouldn't help at all in locating an excerpt within a video. That would be impossible to search for via a search engine.

Edited by David Von Pein

To David Von Pein & Michael Walton:

Thank you for the search info for David's audio/visual online collections. I will become a friend to it. I can see that I have mis-remembered some things I saw I saw on TV the assassination weekend.

For those who haven't seen it, the WFAA coverage David provided a link to includes Dallas motorcade, Parkland & witness interviews I haven't seen before on the ABC, NBC or CBS TV coverage the assassination weekend. I was surprised at how much coverage I had missed on the East coast (where I lived at the time) as well as how much material has been edited out of TV documentaries over the years (example: In the interview of DPD motorcycle officer Chaney around the 30 minute+ mark of David's video, Officer Chaney's comment that he heard the shot 'come from over my shoulder' has been cut out of every single documentary or amateur analysis video I have ever seen. Those that miss visiting David's collection would never know that comment existed).

David Von Pein has made it possible to relive the assassination experience as it was broadcast in real time on CBS, NBC & ABC TV networks as well Dallas & other Texas viewing areas. Coverage comparisons can be made & visuals for school projects or personal use are available as a result of David's tremendous global education & humanitarian effort he's put into his JFK & related materials online for free. Non of that was even remotely possible 53 years ago when the horrors of the ambushes of President Kennedy, DPD Officer Tippit & prisoner Lee Oswald suddenly burst into a multitude of lives globally. Back then, one had to drag through mountains of public library microfilm to get JFK information.

David has laid the assassination, as it happened, right at everyone's keyboard for free.

As a result of all the educational & humanitarian gifts David has given to the world, I constantly personally try to not lose sight of the fact that regardless of what David believes happened in the assassination of President Kennedy & who was responsible for it, he can either be 100% correct or 100% wrong in his online assessments. People will learn from him one way or the other.

With deepest respect,

Brad Milch

Edited by Brad Milch

NBC RADIO NETWORK'S FIRST "HOTLINE" BULLETINS ON 11/22/63:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ERm-cucsE0V2pQNXJmMndLNkU/view

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KRLD-RADIO BULLETINS FROM THE SCENE OF JFK'S ASSASSINATION):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ERm-cucsE0OFBsemlvVXJPbm8/view

Edited by David Von Pein

14 hours ago, Brad Milch said:

As a result of all the educational & humanitarian gifts David has given to the world, I constantly personally try to not lose sight of the fact that regardless of what David believes happened in the assassination of President Kennedy & who was responsible for it, he can either be 100% correct or 100% wrong in his online assessments. People will learn from him one way or the other.

I second that. :)

Quote: 'No matter what anyone might say to the contrary, nobody had a loaded gun pointed at Brad Milch's head while he was typing his comments above. (Did they, Brad?) :)' - David Von Pein

Nope, no gun was pointed at my head, David. My comments were heartfelt & sincere. I often look to your reasoning skills to pull me back out of the JFK quagmire & back on a path where I can let the obvious take control & move on with my life. This is especially the case when I compare where the suggestions of behind the scenes devious deeds has taken me thus far in a crime that appeared solved the day of the assassination. Chasing the Devil is, to me, like trying to catch the wind.

This constant back & forth, pro & con intellectual battle can be easily won & put to rest once the 'obvious' is accepted & the matter put to rest. This line of reasoning probably wouldn't win me any points with Mrs. Rodgers (my CT 5th grade teacher), but that's how I feel about the matter at the moment. If she had both David & me sitting outside the class, punished, I'd say it was worth it to avoid the unnecessary chases that brought me nothing but mental fatigue.

I can say that each visit to DVP's audio/visual collection brings back memories of dragging myself through public & school library micro-films archives. I envy today's JFK students, researchers & enthusiasts; the tools that David Von Pein has provided them is nothing short of astounding.

Keep On Keeping On, David

Brad Milch

Edited by Brad Milch

On 12/10/2016 at 1:21 PM, Vince Palamara said:

Dave,

Your collections are outstanding, man!

Hey Vince, I'm perplexed by something....

What the heck happened to your 400+ reviews at Amazon.com? They all seem to have vanished. I just spent the last half-hour fixing about 15 dead links on my webpages where I have linked to some of your Amazon reviews, but they're all gone now for some reason. In some cases, I can get the review back by putting it through Archive.org's Wayback Machine, like this one. But without the Wayback device, that link is now dead....

http://www.amazon.com/review/R23U3HRSNOQ2X3

What happened? Did somebody hack your Amazon account and decide to start deleting all your stuff?

I noticed you have another Amazon account (with Vincent as your first name, instead of Vince), but there's only 9 reviews on that account.

Edited by David Von Pein

Yes LOL. It COULD be because I am now an established author and my reviews suddenly seemed like excess publicity. Back in the old days, fake reviews were easy...now, impossible. I made dozens of "listmanias" that used to be searchable...all gone. Amazon seems to be cracking down on ANY semblance of self-promotion, especially if you have books to sell yourself. :) No biggie- they served their purpose for the time (back when I was largely unknown LOL).

But, Vince, obviously the vast majority of your reviews at Amazon were not promoting books that YOU yourself wrote. They were for books that other people wrote. And I don't think you actually posted any reviews for your OWN books at Amazon, did you? So, I wonder why Amazon would start deleting all your stuff? Sounds totally unfair to me. Is it merely because you referred to yourself as a "leading civilian authority on the Secret Service" in a lot of your reviews, you think?

Edited by David Von Pein