The Education Forum

The Presidents Bush: Walker Genealogy

• 2 months later...

Now, this will sound completely ignorant, but why was Edwin Walker called Ted? 

In the little reading I have done on Edwin Walker's familial background, which is little more than none, there is nothing on his folks or family. According to this link, James Theodore "Ted" Walker was born 1877. Chances of this being entirely unrelated, probably 99.97%, but the time frame would have fit nicely. Geographic locations, however, seem a little "iffy" 

--Side note, it is nice to see that the Bush and Busch family have been so friendly for so long. As recently as when I left my previous job at a very private golf course, members of both families are members there and play together frequently...well, as frequently as those upper elitists are there and get together. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Reilley said:

Now, this will sound completely ignorant, but why was Edwin Walker called Ted? 

7. WHY IS TED FROM EDWARD?

The name Ted is yet another result of the Old English tradition of letter swapping. Since there were a limited number of first names in the Middle Ages, letter swapping allowed people to differentiate between people with the same name. It was common to replace the first letter of a name that began with a vowel, as in Edward, with an easier to pronounce consonant, such as T. Of course, Ted was already a popular nickname for Theodore, which makes it one of the only nicknames derived from two different first names. Can you name the others?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/24761/origins-10-nicknames

example: Edward "Ted" Kennedy