The Education Forum

The Handwritten Letter Compared With The Typed One, Et Cetera

38 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

PJM put that in there to suggest a coming break up between the Paines?

This is how she opened the climatic chapter, "The Presidents Visit". Michael sitting on his couch, gazing out the window, "daydreaming of another life with some other mate". This is the moment that Ruth hands him a copy of the "Kostin letter" to read and in McMillan's scenario is that his mind is on another woman and she's suggesting that this was the reason he read "Dear Lisa" and why he thought it was of a personal nature. He acted entirely surprised under oath that the letter was to the Russian Embassy.

It's fiction, an entirely made up story. I think it had more to do with trying to make sense of "Dear Lisa" than the divorce filing but it's certainly suggestive of both.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really something.  I agree with you, its now questionable that it ever happened. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, Thomas Graves said:

Yep.  Thanks.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=61074#relPageId=3&tab=page

The one Trejo didn't think existed until you showed it to him?

At first glance, except for the "Henry," I don't see any "barium" in it, just the perpetuation of the idea that Oswald had not only been in Mexico City, but had also been in contact with Kostikov there....

--  Tommy :sun

Tommy,

(1) For the record, I stand corrected on the FBI memo of October 18, 1963, which Hosty claimed he saw, which I claimed didn't exist.

(2) Also, for the record, I stand corrected on my denial that LHO met Kostikov in Mexico City -- because (as David Lifton recently noted) Oleg Nechiporenko explained that Oswald did meet Kostikov, but had no idea who he was at the time.  

In his book, Passport to Assassination (1993), Nechiporenko said that he and Kostikov agreed that Oswald was "psychotic."

(3) Also, for the record, I stand corrected on my claim that Kostin and Kostikov were probably two different people.  It makes sense now, that since Oswald did not know who Kostikov really was when they met, that Oswald would never remember his real name, and so would approximate it as "Kostin" in this tricky letter mailed to the Soviet Embassy.

As for all the spelling errors and other inaccuracies in the letter -- it seems clear that LHO did not care much about them, just as he did not care much about the actual name of Kostikov.  This fact suggests that LHO wrote this letter with one specific purpose -- to irritate the FBI.

Ruth Paine and Marina Oswald told the gospel truth.  LHO created this letter in order to torment the FBI, knowing full well the letter would be intercepted by them.  LHO was trying to play, as Marina said, "brave rabbit," i.e. trying to shake up the FBI by appearing larger than he really was.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Tommy,

I also believe that the key error that CTers make when discussing LHO's Soviet Embassy Letter, is that they fast-forward and force it into the context of the JFK assassination.

Instead, LHO was obsessed with the Fidel Castro assassination, and he reveled in his amateur (unpaid) role as double-agent.  LHO looked down on the FBI for failing to figure out his game, but LHO was also certain that he would soon be rewarded with a regular job in the CIA.

This obsession of LHO completely explains his behavior in August through November 1963, when at last he was surprised to realize that he had become the Patsy of the very people he trusted.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Who and where is Tommy?

Was Oswald's "Kostin" actually known KGB Agent Valery Dmitrevich Kostin?

If so then what should we make of the "story" that it was an Oswald "error" and that he really meant to say "Kostikov"?

How would Oswald have known about the real Kostin?

...or this could just be another remarkable coincidence?  hmmmmm.

53 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

Was Oswald's "Kostin" actually known KGB Agent Valery Dmitrevich Kostin?

If so then what should we make of the "story" that it was an Oswald "error" and that he really meant to say "Kostikov"?

How would Oswald have known about the real Kostin?

...or this could just be another remarkable coincidence?  hmmmmm.

Did Oswald somehow indicate he knew that the guy he'd allegedly met with at the MC Sov Embassy was KGB?

10 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

Did Oswald somehow indicate he knew that the guy he'd allegedly met with at the MC Sov Embassy was KGB?

Tommy,

Nope. he referred to him as comrade Kostin.

I should've clarified... Known to the FBI and believed to be assigned to Cuba, KGB Agent Valery Dmitrevich Kostin.

Edited by Chris Newton

22 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

Tommy,

Nope. he referred to him as comrade Kostin.

I should've clarified... Known to the FBI and believed to be assigned to Cuba, KGB Agent Valery Dmitrevich Kostin.

That's quite a coincidence.

An excerpt from an interesting essay somebody wrote at some college:

PART FOUR: THE “RUSSIAN” OSWALD

"Some researchers have speculated that Oswald did not intend to travel to the Soviet Union but was only trying to gain entrance into Cuba in order to receive orders from the Soviet embassy in Havana, Cuba about the assassination and his subsequent escape out of the United States. In order to prove that he had resided previously in the Soviet Union, Oswald provided a copy of the 1959 passport from the original Oswald and his Russian work permit. He also displayed evidence that he had married a Russian woman and had supported the communist cause in the U. S. as secretary of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC) and as a member of the American Communist Party. In short, Oswald wanted to establish that he was a supporter of the Cuban revolution (Eddowes, 1977). A woman by the name of Sylvia Duran interviewed Oswald at the Cuban Consulate and subsequently told him that his request for a visa had been denied. When Oswald became upset, Consul Eusebio Ascue was summoned and he also told Oswald that an immediate visa was out of the question because it would take several weeks to process an official request for travel to Cuba. Oswald was told that the only other alternative would be to secure approval from the Soviet embassy for a visa to travel to Russia. A Russian visa would have allowed Oswald initially to travel to Cuba before eventually departing for the Soviet Union (Eddowes, 1977). After Oswald’s failure to reach the Soviet embassy in Havana to receive his instructions about the assassination, it has been argued that Oswald met with clandestine KGB agents at the Soviet embassy in Mexico City from September 27 to October 3 to discuss the assassination of Kennedy. Specifically, there is documented evidence that Oswald met with Valeri Vladimirovich Kostikov, a KGB officer in command of Department 13 known for sabotage and assassination. Also, Oswald met with a second KGB officer connected to clandestine operations by the name of Valeri Dmitrevich Kostin who was not listed as an employee of the Soviet embassy in Mexico City. It has been speculated that Oswald was to have met with Kostin in Havana but, when he failed to obtain permission to travel to Cuba, Kostin was flown quickly to Mexico City. Unfortunately, the substance of the discussions between Oswald and the KGB officers is unknown (Nechiporenko, 1993)"  https://history.appstate.edu/sites/history.appstate.edu/files/Paper - Scott Johnson.pdf

In my humble opinion, if we factor in what Duran and Azcue's "Blond Oswald" wrote in his 2005 memoirs -- Likholetye (The Troubled Years) by Nikolai Leonov --, and also what Leonov told National Enquirer magazine in 1993, one possible scenario is that Oswald did meet with flown-in-from-Cuba KGB officer Valeri Dmitrecich Kostin inside the Mexico City Soviet Embassy on Sunday, 9/29/63, and that Mexico City-based at-that-time Leonov is trying, many years later, not only to "corroborate" Nechiporenko's allegation that Oswald was highly unstable (and therefore, in turn, "corroborate" Noshenko's 1964 contention that KGB had no interest in LHO because of his emotional instability) when he met with him on Saturday, 9/28,  but also trying to retroactively "cover" for the activities of this KGB officer, Kostin's, as well.

Just a thought.

Edited by Thomas Graves

...back to the subject of letters for a moment.

Does anyone know of another letter that was typed by Oswald after returning from Mexico? The reason I ask...

Mrs. Paine: I will make an attempt to be brief here. I recall that Lee once used my typewriter to type something else beside this note, is that what you want?

Mrs. Paine: I am tired.

I recall that Lee once asked to borrow my typewriter and used it to type something I judged was a letter at sometime prior to this day November 9, when he typed a letter which we have a rough draft. This is probably of no use to you.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=39#relPageId=145&tab=page

I'd like to add a few things that also do not sit well with this typed letter...

First off, the VISA Oswald supposedly applied for and received was not a 15-day VISA but a 180-day VISA... someone with this visa could stay in Mexico for 6 months...

I'm not sure why the visa itself was not identified as a FM-5 instead of the FM-8 and why it was recorded alphabetically as "OSWALD" despite the person's name being LEE

This is the FM-11 entry for Harvey Oswald (H.O.) LEE by Auto on Sept 26

yet here is the FM-11 summary putting Mr. LEE between the letters M and P

Also... are we sure the letter was mailed on the 12th?  The post mark looks to me like the 2nd... meaning the letter would have been dated forward(?)

Tommy is right though.... the writing does appear to be very similar to that of the man returning from Russia..

Edited by David Josephs

2 hours ago, David Josephs said:

[...]

Are we sure the letter was mailed on the 12th?  The post mark looks to me like the 2nd... meaning the letter would have been dated forward(?)

Tommy is right though.... the writing does appear to be very similar to that of the man returning from Russia..

590792c6e4547_63-11-09OSWALD-typedletterreMEXICO-fakedsignatureWH16_CE_15-Datesentaweekbeforedateonletter.thumb.jpg.6e8801bba59d329da2895b2999f869fa.jpg

It would be nice if letters mailed by other people (preferably not "associated" with the assassination) from Irving, Texas, during that same general time period could be found on E-bay, etc, in order to help us determine whether or not the Irving postmark machine(s) normally created such a large gap as the one the "V" in "NOV" and the "2", above, i.e., between the month and the day for any single-digit-numbered day. 

Edited by Thomas Graves

Ask and ye shall receive....  There's MAR 12 from the Dallas PO.  Seems to me you can make out both digits in all cases.

631003%20train%20wreck.jpg

Edited by David Josephs