The Education Forum

The Handwritten Letter Compared With The Typed One, Et Cetera

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we all know he was set up.  He started to put it all together that weekend when he blurted out he was the patsy.  To boot:

Your link
The Paines steering him along until he ends up working at TSBD
He never ordered the guns
He was at work when supposedly he mailed the gun order
They get him to hand out leaflets in NO and even get him on TV down there
The throwdown wallet at Tippit's scene
The fake man and voice recorded in Mexico (even Hoover didn't have an answer for that)
His FBI file
His intelligence work while in the military
The fake backyard photos (he knew exactly what they did when shown them)
His public murder on 11/24

I'm sure there's more.  But as Vince Salandria often said when writing about the case - if this was all an "innocent" event - an innocent government vigorously pursuing the truth; a truly crazy loner "innocently" planning this out, then yes, he did it.  But all of these things and many more fly completely against the face of true plausibility.  Can you imagine the odds for all of these many and varied things to just happen by sheer coincidence?  It's impossible.

Tommy,

The damning thing about this letter which is not mentioned is that Marina agreed that he wrote a letter the same weekend and that he rewrote it several times. I would think that might indicate that Oswald actually did write a letter - only it was an entirely different letter and this letter (with it's obvious errors) was substituted.

Ruth's account of how she acquired the original draft and copied it doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Putting Ruth Paine in the middle of the generation of this letter opens a very interesting door.  Ruth also just happened to have a place for Marina.  She just happened to get LHO the job at the TSBD.  She just happened to find the MC in the garage (which, even if he had owned it, LHO had no contact with since he left NOLA for MC).  Lots of food for thought...

On 12/14/2016 at 7:28 PM, Chris Newton said:

Tommy,

The damning thing about this letter which is not mentioned is that Marina agreed that he wrote a letter the same weekend and that he rewrote it several times. I would think that might indicate that Oswald actually did write a letter - only it was an entirely different letter and this letter (with it's obvious errors) was substituted.

Ruth's account of how she acquired the original draft and copied it doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Chris,

A strange thing is that, if I understand correctly, the typed letter has five or six more spelling errors than the handwritten one. 

I'm also bothered by the fact that the handwriting does look like Oswald's, and the graphic "style" (corrections, slant, etc) also look like his.

One of the things that makes a lot of sense to me is that Oswald might have intentionally written the name "Kostin" thinking that that name would be less recognizable to the FBI than "Kostikov."

Could the bad guys have been so "clever" as to have done that "for" Oswald?

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

14 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

Tommy,

I might suggest starting with the hypothesis that both Marina and Ruth were lying.  

11 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

I might suggest starting with the hypothesis that both Marina and Ruth were lying.  

If it wasn't written by Oswald, then who forged his handwriting and "style" so convincingly, Ruth Paine? Hosty?

IDK.

Edited by Thomas Graves

10 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

If it wasn't written by Oswald, then who forged his handwriting and "style" so convincingly, Ruth Paine?  Hosty?

That's a good question.  

They didn't have the technology we do now, but I am wondering what sort of resources might have been available, if this really was a professional set-up.  Could someone have learned how to write like Lee? Ironically, my first thought would be George DeM, but he was in Haiti by that time...still, the possibilities are intriguing...

Edited by Pamela Brown

"On November 9 someone typed a letter on a typewriter that allegedly belonged to Ruth Paine and mailed it to the Consular Division of the Embassy of the USSR in Washington, D.C.(the WC of course said Lee Harvey Oswald mailed the letter). The letter was mailed from Irving, Texas on Tuesday, November 12, and read..."

https://peternewburysblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/oswalds-kostikov-letter/

Wouldn't LHO have been working at the TSBD on Tuesday? Theoretically, it could have been mailed Monday night, but he wouldn't have been in Irving then either, would he? 

Who mailed it? 

23 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

I'm also bothered by the fact that the handwriting does look like Oswald's, and the graphic "style" (corrections, slant, etc) also look like his.

If we agree that DAP was Oswalds case officer could he have told Oswald to hand write several letters as part of his Mexico mission?

He could then let Oswald type whatever he wanted knowing he could later intercept and substitute one of the others. A letter shell game, in a fashion.

3 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

If we agree that DAP was Oswalds case officer could he have told Oswald to hand write several letters as part of his Mexico mission?

He could then let Oswald type whatever he wanted knowing he could later intercept and substitute one of the others. A letter shell game, in a fashion.

At this point I think LHO was dangled and followed, but I don't think he was knowingly involved with intelligence.  I think he was setting up his bone fides to get into Cuba and doing that on his own.  

20 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

That's a good question.  

They didn't have the technology we do now, but I am wondering what sort of resources might have been available, if this really was a professional set-up.  Could someone have learned how to write like Lee? Ironically, my first thought would be George DeM, but he was in Haiti by that time...still, the possibilities are intriguing...

Yes, the possibilities are intriguing.  Because it might have been (gasp) ... Lee Harvey Oswald.

Ruth Paine's story is that Lee asked to use her typewriter on Saturday, 11/9 or Sunday 11/10 and that she let him use it at the dining table, which was the only table in the house.

At one point she went to put one of the children in a high chair and Lee shielded her from see what he was writing.

Later she noticed that Lee had left the rough draft on top of her desk secretary, which was located in the living room. She described the draft document as a one page handwritten draft on 8x10 standard size paper folded in half.

At some point Sunday afternoon she made her own handwritten copy of the draft.

That evening she asked Michael and Lee to move some furniture, swapping the locations of her desk secretary and her living room couch.

When she noticed that the original draft was still on her desk secretary she hid it inside and closed it.

Later that evening she showed it (doesn't state which document she showed) to her husband Michael and they discussed it briefly.

Monday she took Lee down to the DMV but it was closed for Veteran's Day.

Monday night she sat on the living room couch with Lee while he watched his "spy show" ("Espionage" Premiere on NBC?) and Lee asked if she was troubled by her upcoming Lawyer appointment to find out about divorcing Michael.

According to the County Clerk she filed for Divorce on 11/13/63.

1 hour ago, Pamela Brown said:

"On November 9 someone typed a letter on a typewriter that allegedly belonged to Ruth Paine and mailed it to the Consular Division of the Embassy of the USSR in Washington, D.C.(the WC of course said Lee Harvey Oswald mailed the letter). The letter was mailed from Irving, Texas on Tuesday, November 12, and read..."

https://peternewburysblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/oswalds-kostikov-letter/

Wouldn't LHO have been working at the TSBD on Tuesday? Theoretically, it could have been mailed Monday night, but he wouldn't have been in Irving then either, would he? 

Who mailed it? 

FWIW, Monday the 11th was Veteran's Day.

Edit:  Maybe he asked her to mail it for him.  lol

-- Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves