The Education Forum

The Handwritten Letter Compared With The Typed One, Et Cetera

2 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

Later [Ruth Paine] noticed that Lee had left the rough draft on top of her desk secretary, which was located in the living room.

If that's the case, then it sounds like he wanted her to find it.

But why?

--  Tommy :sun

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

f that's the case, then it sounds like he wanted her to find it.

I don't think it happened. It's a story. If he typed it in the dining area, why would he leave it on the desk secretary in the living room?

9 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

She described the draft document as a one page handwritten draft on 8x10 standard size paper folded in half.

But CE 103 is one-and-one-half pages, isn't it?

--  Tommy  :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

1 minute ago, Thomas Graves said:

But CE 103 is one-and-one-half pages, isn't it?

Correct.

And why would Oswald not say "Hey, where's my draft?"

- because it wasn't missing until Ruth took it from his stuff, maybe Tuesday after he left for the week?

- because she never took it - maybe she copied the one page typed letter?

27 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

Correct.

And why would Oswald not say "Hey, where's my draft?"

- because it wasn't missing until Ruth took it from his stuff, maybe Tuesday after he left for the week?

- because she never took it - maybe she copied the one page typed letter?

Chris,

The latter makes more sense IMHO because it could explain the (apparent) fact that there are more spelling and punctuation errors in the typed version.  Maybe Ruth unconsciously corrected Oswald's mistakes when she copied it?

But then we have the problem of the authentic-looking, distinctive Oswald handwriting and "style".

Hmmmm

Edited by Thomas Graves

Isn't anyone going to mention that the SC typewriter had never been used before?  All of Ruth's correspondence was hand written.

Is that really true?

Edited by James DiEugenio

So would I.

But if its true, I mean talk about fishy.  

1 minute ago, James DiEugenio said:

Isn't anyone going to mention that the SC typewriter had never been used before?

Is that really true?

What I've read is that the authorities couldn't find any letters, etc, in Ruth's possession that had been typed on that particular machine.  I don't know if they found any that had been typed on a different one.

33 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

In this photo her desk secretary is also in the dining room but her testimony was that it was in the living room and that it was that and the couch which swapped locations.

83684.jpg

Pure speculation, but if that's a radio on top of it, it makes sense that it was always in the kitchen. Nice perch; perfect location.  

(I remember my Mother always had a radio in the kitchen, and not very far from the "breakfast" table where we ate most of our meals.  Being wealthy La Jollans (lol), we had a long cherry wood table in the dining room for "formal" dinners...)

Edited by Thomas Graves