The Education Forum

John Newman: Countdown to Darkness available soon

Welcome Mike.

I should add, Operation Pierce Arrow, the air retaliation ordered by LBJ within 24 hours for Tonkin, resulted in one death and the first American POW of the Vietnam War.

Pierce Arrow later evolved into Rolling Thunder, the largest air bombing operation in the history of warfare.  When it was all over, Rolling Thunder ended up dropping over three times as much bomb tonnage on Vietnam as America dropped in all theaters during World War 2.

And, although I have to check on this, I think Nixon actually ordered more of that than LBJ did.

Think Kennedy would have agreed to all this?

Edited by James DiEugenio

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Newman wrote on Facebook today, Saturday 1/28/2017:

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT BUY JFK AND VIETNAM ON AMAZON UNTIL I POST THAT IT IS AVAILABLE THERE. It will have "SECOND EDITION" on the cover. I see someone just purchased the old Warner Books version for the new full price for the new edition. Whoever you were that made that purchase, please send me a message and I will help you get the new version so that your money was not wasted. I asked Amazon to remove the old edition but they explained that they are not allowed to do that because it is being sold by resellers. Second Edition should be on Amazon by Monday or Tuesday. If you want to buy it before then you may do so at the Create Space estore: https://www.createspace.com/6129867.

Forget Newman's scholarly twaddle, people, now you can get the scoop directly from JFK's mouth:  https://www.amazon.com/Spirits-Speak-Conspiracies-Mysteries-Strohm/dp/0764352695  This new book did not make my buy list - but, given the nature of such books, I'm betting the word from the Great Beyond is not "Oswald did it, case closed."  I do think any conspiracy theorist worth his salt owes it to himself to factor JFK's actual words into the equation - although, alas, this author is about the 473rd psychic, medium or channeler to contact JFK.  To the best of my knowledge, none of them has reported JFK saying "Oswald did it, case closed."  A thread comparing all of the accounts would probably be way more fun, and at least as valuable, as debating Prayer Man.

Spirits Speak of Conspiracies and Mysteries

So the new version of JFK and Vietnam should be out today or tomorrow.

Good, should really be interesting to see what he says about McNamara.  From what I know, John was really instrumental in getting him to write In Retrospect.

Has anyone bought Countdown to Darkness yet?  I thought that would be on Kindle, but so far its not.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I bought Countdown to Darkness on Amazon, and am about 3/4 through it. The book is very good. There are about 2 chapters on the Congo. John Newman is able to document many meetings on the planning of the invasion of Cuba and assassination attempts on Castro. Nixon was an important player- he was basically tagged by Ike to run the Cuba events.  Helms apparently wanted nothing to do with this and asked to be excluded. But , above everybody else, it was Dulles that was running the show from Washington DC.  And, it was DAP that was running the show in Cuba and elsewhere outside of Washington.  There were many others involved in the Cuban events, which is what the book is mostly about.

John Newman wrote on Facebook today (note: I am unable to reproduce here the illustration alluded to in his Facebook posting):

In his book attacking JFK and Vietnam (Rethinking Camelot), Noam Chomsky charged that my argument that LBJ made an enormous change to NSAM 273 was ridiculous because the changes were just unimportant word "parsing." It is unwise to pop off about a document you have not seen. As you can see, the change to the critical substantive paragraph (#7) was akin to taking a meat cleaver to the draft--the two HUGE lines drawn right through it are not word "parsing" or happys to glads.... Moreover, this dramatic change replaced supporting more South Vietnamese actions against the North (see first document--Draft NSAM 273) with opening the door to direct U.S war against North Vietnam (see second document--Final NSAM 273). Draft NSAM 273 was created while JFK was still alive. Final NSAM 273 was created while JFK's body was still in the casket in the Capitol Rotunda. This reversal led directly to the Tonkin Gulf Resolution and full American intervention in Vietnam. In an interview with me, National Security Advisor McGeorge Bundy told me that LBJ was the person who ordered him to put those two big slash marks in paragraph 7 of the draft. [From Chapter Twenty-Two: The Honolulu Agenda] Peter Dale Scott Scott was the first person to correctly identify this major change.

Good, its on Kindle.

What about the revision of JFK and Vietnam?

Ok, thanks Anthony.  Will wait for the Kindle version.

Chomsky, with his supercilious superior drawl. I'm glad Newman nailed him on this hugely important document and shift in foreign policy. Chomsky's opinion is that JFK was just another Cold warrior. How can someone with his credentials be so ignorant? Well, I don't think it's ignorance, never have.