The Education Forum

Revolt of the Colonels?

Steve Thomas

Over the years, a number of groups, or at least rogue elements of those groups have been floated as suspects in the assassination of JFK. These have included the CIA, the mob, the right wing, etc. However, I believe that there was another group of people who seem to appear in key circumstances associated with this event; and these are colonels in the U.S. Army Reserves, and more specifically the intelligence services of that military mileau. I don't believe that this group of people have been examined in any organized way before. I can't point to anything specific, but I get the impression in my readings that the military intelligence people did not hold the CIA in any high regard. They saw the CIA as a bunch of cowboys.

These Reservists include among others:

Jack A. Crichton,

George L. Whitmeyer,

George Lumpkin

,Lester Logue.

L. Robert Castorr, and I'll float another name;

Colonel Frank M. (Maryan) "Brandy" Brandstetter

I can't be sure that these individuals were part of the U.S. Army's Active Reserves, or were part of the Reserve units attached to the State of Texas. The reason I say this is because, at various times, Lt. Col. Whitmeyer has been identified as:

Lt. Col. George L. Whitmeyer, deputy East Texas sector commander

Colonel Wiedemeyer who is the East Texas Section Commander of the Army Reserve

Lt. Colonel George Whitmeyer, U.S. Army, Dallas Sub-section Commander.”

I spoke to a retired U.S. Army Reserve colonel and he told me that these designations are unknown to him and are not part of the Army's TOE or Table of Expenditures. Another suggestion is that these Reserves were not part of the U.S. Army's Active Reserve system, but were part of the reserve forces of the State of Texas.

If anyone knows the specific regiment, division, or Army Corps these people belonged to, please let me know.

https://tmd.texas.gov/

The Texas Military Department is composed of the three branches of the military in the state of Texas. These branches are the Texas Army National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, and the Texas State Guard. All three branches are administered by the state Adjutant General, an appointee of the Governor of Texas, and fall under the command of the Governor.

A possible source of reference might be here: They are housed at the Texas State Library.

Texas Adjutant General's Department:

An Inventory of Texas State Guard/Texas Defense Guard/Texas State Guard Reserve Corps Records at the Texas State Archives, 1938-1983, undated (bulk 1941-1945)

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/tslac/30026/tsl-30026.html

Jack Crichton:

Lubbock Avalanche-Journal from Lubbock, Texas · December 5, 1967 Page 16

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/6092576/

DALLAS (API — Col. Jack A.:, Crichton. commanding officer of) the 488th Military Intelligence Detachment, was awarded the Legion of Merit Monday night on' his retirement from the Army- Reserve after 30 years of service. The medal was presented in a ceremony by Col. Robert D. Of-; fer, commander of the VIII U.S. , Army Corps at Austin. An oil man and petroleum consultant, Crichton organized his Reserve unit in 1956 and has been its only commander. The award cited him for "exceptionally outstanding service" as commander and for the preparation of a series of military intelligence studies.

Warren Commission Hearings. Vol. XIX p. 106

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=43&search=Mamantov#relPageId=114&tab=page

Ilya Mamantov identified Jack Crichton as a petroleum independent contractor, “and if I'm not mistaken he is connected with the Army Reserve, Intelligence Service.” Five minutes later, George Lumpkin called Mamantov. Thirty minutes before they called Mamantov however, he had called the FBI and offered his services because he knew Oswald and “knew of his background here in Dallas.”

Crichton Legion of Merit Award

See: https://books.google.com/books?id=ibtADE8gMeoC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=%22Legion+of+Merit%22+Crichton&source=bl&ots=UsV17DJRk7&sig=sw-DLTVYZL9P6SKEfsWpeLEhvEg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJruvqzcvRAhXKw1QKHbOTD2IQ6AEINzAF#v=onepage&q=%22Legion%20of%20Merit%22%20Crichton&f=false

page 87

http://spartacus-educational.com/MDcrichton.htm

In 1956 Crichton started up his own spy unit, the 488th Military Intelligence Detachment. Crichton served as the unit's commander under Lieutenant Colonel George Whitmeyer, who was in overall command of all Army Reserve units in East Texas. In an interview Crichton claimed that there were "about a hundred men in that unit and about forty or fifty of them were from the Dallas Police Department."

From Bill Kelly. JFK Countercoup blog July 22, 2012

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2012/07/shenanigans-at-dallas-state-fairgrounds.html

On April 1, 1962, Dallas Civil Defense, with Crichton heading its intelligence component, opened an elaborate underground command post under the patio of the Dallas Health and Science Museum. Because it was intended for ‘continuity-of-government’ operations during an attack, it was fully equipped with communications equipment.

Dallas Morning News 03-17-1960 Dallas Center Approved by Civil Defense

www.civildefensemuseum.com

“The Office of Civil Defense Mobilization announced Wednesday the approval of a $120,000 emergency underground operating center for the Dallas City-County Civil Defense and Disaster Commission. Under Plans formulated last year, OCDM and DallasCounty will match contributions of $60,000 for the center. The building will be constructed at Fair Park adjacent to the Health and Science Museum.”

George Whitmeyer:

(George Whitmeyer. Was passenger in the JFK motorcade pilot car.)

"Mr. Lawson acknowledged that Lt. Col. George Whitmeyer, who was part of the Dallas District U.S. Army Command, who Lawson said "taught Army Intelligence"1/31/78 HSCA interview of Secret Service agent Winston Lawson (RIF#18010074-10396)

Mary Ferrell database for Lt. Colonel George Whitmeyer:

https://www.maryferrell.org/php/marysdb.php?id=10103

1963-1964 City Directories list George Whitmeyer as Area Commander USA Reserve Training Center.

Whitmeyer is referred to in combined Batchelor, Lumpkin, and Stevenson, report to Curry as, “Lt. Colonel George Whitmeyer, U.S. Army, Dallas Sub-section Commander.”
DPD Archives Box 14, Folder# 14, Item# 10 p. 20.
https://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box14.htm

I believe that he taught at the Jules E. Muchert Army Reserve Center 10031 E. Northwest Highway, Dallas, TX. This Property was a part of the original boundaries of White Rock Lake Park. The City of Dallas sold the Property to the Federal Government in 1956 for an Army Reserve Training Center Site.

http://www3.dallascityhall.com/committee_briefings/briefings0607/QOL_061107_muchert.pdf

George Lumpkin:

Was a passenger in the JFK motorcade pilot car with George Whitmeyer.

p. 128. “As was common for Brandy, he received a fine commendation for his work from his commanding officer, at this time, Colonel George Lumpkin....”

“In his civilian life, George Lumpkin was deputy chief of police in the City of Dallas...”

When Jack Crichton was asked by the Dallas Police to find a Russian interpretor for Marina Oswald, Crichton asked George Lumpkin to call Ilya Mamantov. It was George Lumpkin who took command at the TSBD following the assassination and who Roy Truly first told that Lee Harvey Oswald was “missing”.

Frank Brandstetter:

Published on NYTimes.com from Sept.14 to Sept.15, 2011

See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?pid=153634344#sthash.woUiR4U2.dpuf

Colonel Frank Maryan "Brandy" Brandstetter (U.S. Army Ret.) died in the Hospital Megallanes in Acapulco, Mexico on August 21, 2011 at age 99. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?pid=153634344#sthash.woUiR4U2.dpuf

After graduating from the U.S. Army Intelligence School, he was trained by British military intelligence before he parachuted with the 506th Airborne Infantry Regiment on D-Day and led his IPW (Interrogation of Prisoners of War) team into World War II. He served as General Matthew B. Ridgway's trusted aide with the XVIII Airborne Corps until the end of the war, then, with General Ridgway in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations, and finally with the original, five-nation United Nations Organization. His awards include the Silver Star and the Bronze Star.

Brandy continued for 40 years in uniform as a U.S. Army Reservist frequently providing assistance to the Office of the Army Chief of Staff for Intelligence, the Defense Intelligence Agency, the FBI, and the CIA. Subsequently, Brandstetter unofficially provided reconnaissance services to the United States, primarily at his own expense, to China, Greece, Cyprus, Morocco, South Africa, Spain, Argentina, Yugoslavia, and many other hot spots at times when security threats were emerging.

Brandy, Our Man in Acapulco: The Life and Times of Colonel Frank M. Brandstetter. A Biography by Rodney P. Carlisle and Dominic J. Monetta. University of North Texas Press, 1999.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QLdqgDsVio4C&pg=PA122&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

p. 118. “Brandy's move from San Francisco to Dallas resulted in his transfer from the Officers Reserve Control Group with the Sixth Army in San Francisco to one with the Fourth Army in San Antonio in the G-2 section.”

p. 120. “...in December, 1951 he was assigned to reserve duty training in Dallas. In March, 1952 his file was submitted for a security background check. That work was finally completed on 30 June, 1953 and he was once again cleared for material up to and including Top Secret”. “Brandy soon began teaching and participating in a few courses in specialized intelligence studies.

p. 120. Brandy wrote to Colonel J.P. Kaylor of the Fourth Army's G-2 section and “...suggested monthly or semi-monthly briefings in a private area “where classified material could be read and secured,” meetings with Civilian Defense Authorities for liaison in case of emergencies, and correspondence courses.” (See the entry for Crichton)

pp. 127+ “after leaving Jamaica in early 1957, Brandy served as assistant troop commander and provost marshal of the Fourth U.S. Army Area Intelligence School for two weeks in August, 1957.

These intelligence school sessions reviewed procedures and studies in a wide variety of areas for reserve intelligence officers including a review of a Central Index of Investigative and Domestic Subversive files.

p. 128. “As was common for Brandy, he received a fine commendation for his work from his commanding officer, at this time, Colonel George Lumpkin....”

“In his civilian life, George Lumpkin was deputy chief of police in the City of Dallas...”

p. 121. “While at the Presidio, Brandy had prepared a draft of a Domestic Emergency Plan, which he revised and submitted in 1954 as part of the Cloverleaf I exercise, to G-2 of the Fourth Army Command in Dallas, Colonel M.H. Truly.” (Any relation to Roy Truly of the TSBD?)

(Colonel M.H. Truly would submit a report on a UFO sighting in Texas and New Mexico in April, 1955 to the Assistant Chief of Staff, G2, Department of the Army.)

http://ufologie.patrickgross.org/htm/foia24.htm

“...in December, 1953 he (Brandstetter) and several other officers were attached to different units for the first three months of 1954 assigned as “Inspector/Advisors” "

Colonel L. Robert Castorr:

Would be linked to a gun running scheme to Cuba with Nancy Perrin Rich and Jack Ruby.

The Mexia Daily News from Mexia, Texas · Page 1

November 7, 1957

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/11876796/

(L. Robert Castorr) “Mr. Castorr. who is now a- colonel in the Active Reserve serving as inspector and advisor to the 90th Division in Texas...”

Registrations by Lobbyists

An article from CQ Almanac 1970

Following is a list of persons and organizations that filed lobby registrations from Dec. 23, 1969 (the date of adjournment of the First Session of the 91st Congress) to Jan. 3, 1971 (the date of adjournment of the Second Session of the 91st Congress)

NATIONAL TAX ACTION INC., 1033 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. Filed 1/16/70.

Registered for itself.

Legislative interest—“Appropriations, taxation and economy in Government. In general, opposed to increased spending without more economy. Favor less international commitments, and less taxation.”

Expenses—“Anticipated, $100 each for two agents, totaling $200 monthly to cover expenses.”

Lobbyist—L. Robert Castorr, president, same address as employer. Filed 1/16/70.

Legislative interest—“Economy in Government.”

Frank Brandstetter: (A tantalizing side note):

Brandy, Our Man in Acapulco: The Life and Times of Colonel Frank M. Brandstetter. A Biography by Rodney P. Carlisle and Dominic J. Monetta. University of North Texas Press, 1999.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QLdqgDsVio4C&pg=PA122&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

p. 117 In March, 1951, Brandy took over the management of the restaurant chain for Continental Trailways, a newly formed subsidiary of the Santa Fe Railroad. Trailways would become the nation's second largest bus company after Geryhound. Maurice Moore appointed Brandy as President of the restaurant subsidiary, Continental Restaurants. Continental was headquartered in Dallas, TX. Brandy planned the construction of new bus depots. Developed training and instruction manuals, and introduced pre-cooked frozen meals to smaller kitchens within a four hundred mile radius from a central kitchen in Dallas. He designed their logo, and raised sales from $215,000 in 1951 to $1,228,000 in 1953.

p. 125. “General Carl L. Phinney, an attorney for Continental Trailways and commander of the Texas National Guard knew that Brandy was looking for new ventures.” Clint Murchison was a “member of the Board of Directors of Continental Trailways.”

Warren Report p. 732.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=946#relPageId=756&tab=page

“On September 26, Oswald boarded Continental Trailways bus No. 5133 in Houston and departed at 2:35 AM for Laredo, TX...”

Lester Logue:

I saw Lester Logue identified as a Colonel somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it again.

REPORT:INTERCONTINENTAL PENETRATION FORCES/NEUTRALITY MATTERS

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=44539&search=lester_logue#relPageId=3&tab=page

Page 3

Met with Hemming in July, 1963

Also met with Hall and Seymour who left a trailer full of weapons at his house in October, 1963.

I called this thread the Revolt of the Colonels because I am reminded so much of the Generals' Putsch in Algeria in April, 1961. While the four generals were the public face of the attempted coups d'etat, the driving behind it were the colonels and captains of the French armed forces.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve - You are like a voice crying in the wilderness. I know you keep hoping that someone with something other than support would respond. Alas...this avenue of research has been the least explored, but so important. The resistance to it, the lack of reliable information, the misdirections, all point to the value of your attempts, in my opinion.

Funny - I've been watching Battle of Algiers, which TCM broadcast a few weeks ago. It is amazing how relevant it is today. I'm sure you have read The Devil's Chessboard, where David Talbot takes a look at the connections between the attempt on DeGaulle by those generals, and the statements of DeGaulle afterwards. 

The authors who tried to crack this include Peter Dale Scott of course, and for whatever one thinks of him, Daniel Sheehan. Mae Brussell did a lot of digging around too. Clearly when one looks at the 'colonels' one finds so many connections to the radical right, and the Nazis. I think JFK knew this. The connections that appear to be missing are between the 'colonels' and the Generals. Do you find any connections to Edwin Walker? Or the Joint Chiefs? 

I think people shy away from the Nazi connection because they think of it as somehow about Hitler. We defeated Hitler and the German armed forces. But we never dismantled the corporate structures. How many CIA persons of interest were in post war Germany learning the ropes? Shackley, Harvey, many others. What connection did they have to Gehlen and Dulles? I've read they Shackley was the interpreter. 

I don't know where these speculations of mine go other than in a thread like this. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

Steve - have you taken a close look at ATF agent Frank Ellsworth and his investigation of the 'theft' of arms from the military and sale to Cuban exiles? 

Peter Dale Scott is still as far as I know a professor at UC Cal in Berkeley. I met him once and interviewed him when I was working on the trading cards. He was very forthcoming, and he is a deep thinker and researcher. He may know much more than he can write about, or have really good suggestions where to look.

8 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - You are like a voice crying in the wilderness. I know you keep hoping that someone with something other than support would respond. Alas...this avenue of research has been the least explored, but so important. The resistance to it, the lack of reliable information, the misdirections, all point to the value of your attempts, in my opinion.

Funny - I've been watching Battle of Algiers, which TCM broadcast a few weeks ago. It is amazing how relevant it is today. I'm sure you have read The Devil's Chessboard, where David Talbot takes a look at the connections between the attempt on DeGaulle by those generals, and the statements of DeGaulle afterwards. 

The authors who tried to crack this include Peter Dale Scott of course, and for whatever one thinks of him, Daniel Sheehan. Mae Brussell did a lot of digging around too. Clearly when one looks at the 'colonels' one finds so many connections to the radical right, and the Nazis. I think JFK knew this. The connections that appear to be missing are between the 'colonels' and the Generals. Do you find any connections to Edwin Walker? Or the Joint Chiefs? 

Paul,

Thanks. I once wrote that  noone can understand the domestic surveillance by U.S. Intelligence Agencies in the 1960's without reading about the Army Spy scandals in the 1970's. The Army's Counter Intelligence Corps (CIC) far outstripped anything the FBI was doing.

I'd encourage people to read here:

http://www.cmhpf.org/Random Files/senator sam ervin.htm

"According to Pyle, the U.S. Army Intelligence Command for the Continental United States ("CONUS intelligence") included more than one thousand undercover agents operating in a nationwide system with more than three hundred offices. Agents sent their reports through a national teletype network to Fort Holabird, Maryland, where the Army kept its central computer." 

Brandstetter talked about the "Central Index of Subversive Files", and Pyle talks about the "Compendium" or the "Vault Files" that Robert Jones talked about in his HSCA testimony.

You're right about the "lack of reliable information" and the "misdirection". To paraphrase something Larry Hancock once said, the speed and frequency with which the various military units changed who they reported to makes it really hard to follow the flow of information in a linear fashion. Plus the Army purged its records in a pretty dramatic way following those spy scandals I referenced above. As Col. Robert Jones told the HSCA, he would have kept the Oswald files for historical purposes if nothing else, but it wasn't his decision to make. I think that one of the reasons that people have latched on to the CIA and the FBI over the years as scapegoats, is that there is a paper trail to follow. With the military and the Secret Service, you just hit a brick wall. They either dragged their feet, or flat out refused to comply with people like the ARRB.

You asked about General Walker. I was reading the other day about someone approaching him and asking him if he wanted to get involved in the "Cuban cause", and he said no, he didn't want to get bogged down in the small stuff - he wanted to devote himself to defeating communism "everywhere". ( or something along those lines *smile*).

I think he looked at the people involved - Hemming, et.al. and saw the whole venture as pretty Mickey Mouse stuff, and wouldn't touch it. With respect to the Joint Chiefs, no, they were Active Army. The people I was looking at were in the Reserves. A whole different realm. As someone pointed out to me, the Active Army is a full time job. The Reserves are a part-time job with another life in the "civilian" world.

As far as the "connections between the "colonels" and the "generals", in many  cases, the "colonels" were the "generals. What I didn't include in my post was how high up Castorr rose in the National Federation of Independent Business. What started out as a small organization to help small business, quickly became an organization worth millions and millions of dollars, funded by people like the Koch Bros. Or Crichton heading some company (I forget which one right now) that, at one time, was something like the fourth highest stock traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

A couple of the people I mentioned in my post were associated with the oil and gas industry -  Crichton, Logue, Castorr.

January 27, 1998December 31, 1998

These guys are the military-industrial complex.

Steve Thomas

One avenue that I think MIGHT bear looking into...if you CAN find anything....is whether Oswald was actually working for ARMY Intel rather than ONI, as his USMC background would suggest.  After his discharge from the Marine Corps, it's QUITE possible that Oswald was "recruited" into one of these Army intel units.  The scant paper trail of these units in general make me wonder.

Had a friend who was drafted into the Army in 1972.  After his Army hitch, he was recruited into the Navy...so it's NOT like this sort of recruiting never occurred.  With Oswald's ability to speak and understand Russian, he might have been attractive to Army intel despite his false defection.

Just an angle to consider.

9 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Paul,

Thanks. I once wrote that  noone can understand the domestic surveillance by U.S. Intelligence Agencies in the 1960's without reading about the Army Spy scandals in the 1970's. The Army's Counter Intelligence Corps (CIC) far outstripped anything the FBI was doing.

I'd encourage people to read here:

http://www.cmhpf.org/Random Files/senator sam ervin.htm

"According to Pyle, the U.S. Army Intelligence Command for the Continental United States ("CONUS intelligence") included more than one thousand undercover agents operating in a nationwide system with more than three hundred offices. Agents sent their reports through a national teletype network to Fort Holabird, Maryland, where the Army kept its central computer." 

Brandstetter talked about the "Central Index of Subversive Files", and Pyle talks about the "Compendium" or the "Vault Files" that Robert Jones talked about in his HSCA testimony.

You're right about the "lack of reliable information" and the "misdirection". To paraphrase something Larry Hancock once said, the speed and frequency with which the various military units changed who they reported to makes it really hard to follow the flow of information in a linear fashion. Plus the Army purged its records in a pretty dramatic way following those spy scandals I referenced above. As Col. Robert Jones told the HSCA, he would have kept the Oswald files for historical purposes if nothing else, but it wasn't his decision to make. I think that one of the reasons that people have latched on to the CIA and the FBI over the years as scapegoats, is that there is a paper trail to follow. With the military and the Secret Service, you just hit a brick wall. They either dragged their feet, or flat out refused to comply with people like the ARRB.

You asked about General Walker. I was reading the other day about someone approaching him and asking him if he wanted to get involved in the "Cuban cause", and he said no, he didn't want to get bogged down in the small stuff - he wanted to devote himself to defeating communism "everywhere". ( or something along those lines *smile*).

I think he looked at the people involved - Hemming, et.al. and saw the whole venture as pretty Mickey Mouse stuff, and wouldn't touch it. With respect to the Joint Chiefs, no, they were Active Army. The people I was looking at were in the Reserves. A whole different realm. As someone pointed out to me, the Active Army is a full time job. The Reserves are a part-time job with another life in the "civilian" world.

As far as the "connections between the "colonels" and the "generals", in many  cases, the "colonels" were the "generals. What I didn't include in my post was how high up Castorr rose in the National Federation of Independent Business. What started out as a small organization to help small business, quickly became an organization worth millions and millions of dollars, funded by people like the Koch Bros. Or Crichton heading some company (I forget which one right now) that, at one time, was something like the fourth highest stock traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

A couple of the people I mentioned in my post were associated with the oil and gas industry -  Crichton, Logue, Castorr.

January 27, 1998December 31, 1998

Steve Thomas

Paul B says

" Steve, you are like a voice crying in the wilderness."

I need to state that I read almost everything posted here, and I even click on many of the links ( and deeper links from those ) provided by posters like Steve, Jim D. and Doug Caddy and so many others.

And I sense there are many others ( more than you would think ) who access this forum who do the same, but for various reasons don't respond post.

I now respond post here and there, even though I am no where close to the knowledge level of the great researchers on this forum.

I used to remain in the JFK Debate Forum reading only audience ( for years ) but finally figured that at my age any embarrassment I would feel about submitting  my obviously less informed thoughts on these deep study postings were worth expressing, if only for the reason of encouragement and thanks to the real brains here for their years of research work and commitment to the JFK truth cause.

Steve, your postings are not cries in the wilderness.

3 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Steve Thomas

Steve, your findings and postings remind me of Mae Brussell and her research into not just the JFK assassination but the secret highest power doings beyond it such as the MIC.

One subject that you cover in ferreting out these secret groups and their activities is this consistent connection between them and the wealthy.

How the super wealthy are often wooed with the goal of recruiting them into funding these secret covert activities and agendas.

Funding that is too often hidden from our constitutional government oversight and restraint.

Isn't this marriage of unchecked private wealth and extreme ideology minded groups ( include the Mafia for a real m`enage a` trois )  exactly what President Eisenhower was trying to warn us and our democratic society about in his farewell address?

And when these privately funded ventures become more about surveillance on our own people than anything else...Dear God, where are we?

What has become of our constitution, Bill Of Rights and democracy based society when secret non-elected power people and groups and their wealthy backers have more control over it than our elected officials?

When JFK, MLK and RFK were taken out...I think the answer to that question was already being answered 50 years ago.

Eisenhower himself tried to alert us to what was happening and growing and was the biggest threat to us all in 1960. Thank you Ike.

However with the exception of maybe a couple hundred writers and researchers since then, the main body of our main stream media and scholarly community just never did acknowledge and address this subject in any meaningful way.

Steve to me, your research does.

Edited by Joe Bauer

23 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

George Lumpkin:

Headquarters

Department of the Army

26 July 1967

General Orders No. 33

https://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/go6733.pdf

Page 5

V. Legion of Merit. By direction of the President...for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service is awarded to...

Colonel George L. Lumpkin. Intelligence and Security, United States Army, July, 1960 – June, 1967

Steve Thomas

Steve - very informative article. It reminds me of the military intelligence role in the 1968 Democratic convention. It's long been speculated at least, perhaps known, that the riots were in part fomented by plainclothes intelligence operatives. Just last week we had a situation in Berkeley that echoes this, when 150 or so black clad and hooded 'anarchists' disrupted a peaceful protest at the university. Similar things happened here during the Occupy movement. No less a personage than Robert Reich, former Labor secretary and professor at UC Berkeley has called this what it is - an undercover police action designed to discredit peaceful protest. We never seem to find out who these undercover agent provocateurs are, but my hunch is they are not attached to municipal police forces. I know this is a digression from the 'colonels'. 

Steve - have you looked at ATF agent Ellsworth's aborted investigation of the theft of munitions from the San Antonio army base? Sorry, don't remember the particulars except that it seemed to me that Ellsworth was stymied in his investigation. 

14 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - have you looked at ATF agent Ellsworth's aborted investigation of the theft of munitions from the San Antonio army base? Sorry, don't remember the particulars except that it seemed to me that Ellsworth was stymied in his investigation. 

Paul,

No. I'm sorry. I don't know anything about this.

Steve Thomas