The Education Forum

Revolt of the Colonels?

Steve Thomas

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I just don't want to see this thread die.

Paul,

I have just recently become aware (within the last couple of days) of a book by Peter Dale Scott, entitled Dallas '63.

This seems to only be available in electronic format (Kindle and e-book)

http://www.worldcat.org/title/dallas-63-the-first-deep-state-rovolt-against-white-house/oclc/918555175&referer=brief_results

You can see a preview of the book here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-BlZCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT141&lpg=PT141&dq="Frank+Brandstetter"&source=bl&ots=kPqBITG_dz&sig=4UYdsfrkg7QNunrGO-Jxfa9Nfsw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA8IvO6pLSAhWl14MKHU1ZAkU4FBDoAQgsMAQ#v=onepage&q="Frank Brandstetter"&f=false

Unforuntately, the pages in this preview are not numbered, but I'd encourage you to read the paragraph following footnote# 7. Mr. Scott talks about the confluence of the right wing and certain elements in the military establishment. He references the cable that went out to McDill Strike Force command in Florida in the hours immediately following the assassination, and the idea that "somebody" was trying to start WW III. Scott also talks about the "frantic" efforts to find Curtis LeMay in the hours after the assassination. The editor of the book says that in the middle chapters of Scott's book, Scott focuses on his shift from examining CIA files to looking at military records.

I'll have to see if I can get a copy of this book.

Steve Thomas

I thought I had a copy of that book, but what I have instead is something he wrote early - 1971 - maybe unpublished since I have a manuscript only which Scott gave to me when I met him briefly in the late 1980's while writing the Coup D'Etat trading cards. It's not indexed. But I'll look through it anyway.

Joe,

Ah Hah!

I knew it all along!

*smile*

This Is Not America 1 THIS IS NOT AMERICA The assassination of President John F. Kennedy Philip Coppens © Philip Coppens 1993, 2004 This Is Not ...»

-- [ Page 29 ] --

" On November 22, J. Edgar Hoover ‘helped’ the plotters by falsely alleging Oswald had made several trips to Cuba and that, upon his return, he had been questioned about why he had gone to Cuba.    Perhaps not strangely, Hoover, since 1922, was a reserve Lt. Col. in the Army’s Military Intelligence Division."

Steve Thomas

1 minute ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - have you read the Spartacus entry on Jack Crichton?

Paul,

Yes, I have. Why do you ask?

I'll ask this. People mention that Crichton and Lumpkin and Whitmeyer, etc. all say that they were members of the "Reserves". I want to know the "Reserves" of what?

To what division, or army did they belong?

I've learned that the Reserves in Texas had three major  units: the 36th Division, the 49th and the 90th Infantry. Did the people I mention belong to any of those?

The reason I ask, is that I spoke to a retired colonel in the reserves, and he told me that Whitmeyer's identification of "east Texas sector commander", or U.S. Army, Dallas Sub-section Commander didn't mean anything to him. Now, he belonged to the Active Army Reserves, so maybe Whitmeyer and Crichton and Lumpkin were buried somewhere in the Texas National Guard, or the Texas State Guard, I don't know, but I'd like to find out.

He also scoffed, when I told him that Crichton was supposed to be heading a Military Intelligence Detachment of  about 100 men. He explained that Military Intelligence Detachments were about the size of a rifle squad. 90% of the MID's in the United States had 9 men in them. He said that this sounds more like a social club than an MID. If Crichton was gathering intelligence, who was he reporting that intelligence to?

Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - have you read the Spartacus entry on Jack Crichton?

That is too interesting to not link

http://spartacus-educational.com/MDcrichton.htm

Two characters that I expected to see in there, but did not, are I. B. Hale and Fred Korth.

Here is the Forum thread.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/6568-jack-alston-crichton/&page=1

7 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

That is too interesting to not link

http://spartacus-educational.com/MDcrichton.htm

Two characters that I expected to see in there, but did not, are I. B. Hale and Fred Korth.

Here is the Forum thread.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/6568-jack-alston-crichton/&page=1

Jack Crichton also authored a book on 1964 Texas politics. That would be very interesting to read, I think.

The Republican-Democrat political campaigns in Texas in 1964

Author: Jack Crichton
Publisher: [Texas] : J. Crichton, 2003.
Edition/Format: icon-bks.gif Print book : English
Database: WorldCat

Steve Thomas

Steve - I get your point. What the hell is the 488th? Apparently started by Crichton. It doesn't fit in to the military reserve system. Do you think that because of that it is a disinformation campaign? What strikes me most odd is that we don't know, 54 years later. All the fine researchers have clearly run into an impasse, like the one you have. I keep waiting for DiEugenio or Hancock to weigh in. There is no way I would dismiss the little we do know. It's the tip of some iceberg. 

4 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - I get your point. What the hell is the 488th? Apparently started by Crichton. It doesn't fit in to the military reserve system. Do you think that because of that it is a disinformation campaign? What strikes me most odd is that we don't know, 54 years later. All the fine researchers have clearly run into an impasse, like the one you have. I keep waiting for DiEugenio or Hancock to weigh in. There is no way I would dismiss the little we do know. It's the tip of some iceberg. 

Paul,

I figure it was Crichton's braggadocio "the annoying or exaggerated talk of someone who is trying to sound very proud or brave".

If it the 488th was some kind of "spy unit", it didn't "fit into the military reserve system" as you put it, which makes me ask, who were they spying on and what were they doing with the information they gathered? If he did take on the mantle of an official military organization, did he do so with the approval of the officials in the Reserves who he reported to? 

I wish I had kept the reference, but I read one time that the people in Crichton's political circle believed that Barry Goldwater was too liberal. That's why I think Crichton's book would be interesting book to read - get a sense of where this guy was coming from.

Steve Thomas

Guys, I don't have time at the moment to dig back into this; I have visited it on multiple occasions before and what I found was that following the war, a number of reserve and guard units were created in Texas, essentially as devices to keep members on a roster and provide some minimal income.  To some extent it was more of a social thing than anything else; I interviewed one fellow who described it that way but said they were really upset when a lot of them got called back to duty in Korea because of it.  The units were generally of a staff nature and involved officers not enlisted, certainly they were not combat units.  As far as the numeric designations and reporting goes, just don't recall but it got pretty complicated especially because those units don't keep histories all that far back, especially the reserve and guard units.

23 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

.........I found was that following the war, a number of reserve and guard units were created in Texas, essentially as devices to keep members on a roster and provide some minimal income.  To some extent it was more of a social thing than anything else; I interviewed one fellow who described it that way but said they were really upset when a lot of them got called back to duty in Korea because of it.  The units were generally of a staff nature and involved officers not enlisted, certainly they were not combat units.  ....

Sounds like a nascent, semi-sanctioned secret society. I am surprised that Paul Trejo has not found this subject interesting enough to get involved in.

Well you could have that or you have a few good old Texas boys doing some social networking, keeping their uniforms, holding onto some rank for their resumes and being able to meet monthly while making a little money at the same time.  If you do a scan of Texas social and political events you find a lot of fellows still listed as carrying rank and military titles who are certainly not active Army, usually the reference is to either Reserve or Guard not regular Army - looks good on the club roster too...after all being referred to as a Major or a Colonel is sort of a southern tradition...   Of course there would be no need for any brand new secret society,  Klan organizations and Minutemen groups were readily available and military rank of any sort much desired and respected in such organizations. Although to be a real stand out leader it was best to be a retired Admiral or General....

Still, there's nothing more fun than a good, shadowy secret society ....

Larry - I can see your point. But we are talking about a group of men who in many cases are both Dallas police and detectives and ex military who were involved in the motorcade planning and in the motorcade itself, in housing Marina and supplying her first translator, who founded and manned an underground bunker created in what is now called Continuity of Government. And if Escalante is to be believed, and I for one find him credible just like I find Castro credible, Crichton and his buddy George Bush were original funders of Operation 40, Nixon's creation.