The Education Forum

Question for Paul Trejo re Walker

Paul - looking over an old thread resurrected by Michael Clark about Joachim Joesten, you claimed in 2013 that Walker accepted Eisenhower posting him to Augsburg Germany on the 'secret condition that he would promote JBS literature to his troops'. What is your source for that claim?

35 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Paul - looking over an old thread resurrected by Michael Clark about Joachim Joesten, you claimed in 2013 that Walker accepted Eisenhower posting him to Augsburg Germany on the 'secret condition that he would promote JBS literature to his troops'. What is your source for that claim?

On 03/01/13 Paul Trejo Wrote: 

"John, these are all questions that I still cannot answer. I'm still digging as fast as I can.

I will say this, however. Walker was very chummy with Nazi types in Germany during his command in Augsburg (11/1959 to 11/1961). He made good friends with the editor of the Deutsche Nationalzeitung newspaper, formerly a Nazi newspaper and still a right-wing journal in 1963, That editor, Dr. Gerhard Frey, was connected with Joseph Goebbels during the Nazi era.

I will give ex-General Edwin Walker the benefit of the doubt -- until actual facts are presented. My current theory (always evolving) is that Walker was a conformist all his life -- but the Cold War was confusing to him. He led the racial integration of Little Rock High School in Arkansas in 1957, but by late 1959 he tendered his first resignation from the Army to President Eisenhower, citing a "conspiracy".

In late 1959 Walker personally met Robert Welch, founder of the John Birch Society (JBS) and came to believe that President Eisenhower was a Communist (as Robert Welch taught). When Eisenhower rejected Walker's resignation, but instead gave him a command over thousands of troops in Augsburg, Germany, Walker accepted the position -- his biggest promotion ever -- on the secret condition that he would promote JBS literature to his troops.

Along with Major Archibald E. Roberts, Walker began his Pro-Blue program the very first day that he arrived in Germany. He spent most of his time on this project, and he influenced thousands of young soldiers with the JBS doctrine -- similar to the doctrine of the late Senator Joseph McCarthy -- that the US Government was filled with Communists.

This treasonous talk, laughingly called Anticommunism, was really Anti-American. This is what Robert Welch and his followers had always wanted. They objected to WW2, because as they said, the USA joined the Communists to defeat Germany, while they should have supported Germany to defeat Communism.

While in Germany, Walker evidently increased his communication with the new German Anticommunists like Dr. Gerhard Frey, Hasso Thorsten and others, and they evidently impressed him very much. For example, only 18 hours after the JFK assassination, Walker called the Deutsche Nationalzeitung to boast that the same shooter who killed JFK (Lee Harvey Oswald) was the same shooter who shot at him on 10 April 1963.

This was several days before Marina Oswald announced this allegation to the FBI and the world. There is plenty of smoke there, I say.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo"

------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

Edited by Michael Clark

On 3/2/2017 at 11:30 AM, Paul Brancato said:

During some of our  conversations Gen Walker stated  " under Eisenhower we could get away with murder" etc & etc meaning unlike under Kennedy? 

My guess is that he has no answer...but he has his theory, and in his mind ANYONE who disagrees is either a LN'er or a CIA-did-it theorist. In his mind, there is apparently NO other position.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:30 PM, Paul Brancato said:

Paul B.,

My source for that is the US History known by historians such as Chris Cravens (1997).   When General Walker accepted that post in Augsburg in 1959, the very first thing he did when he arrived on base was begin to set up his reading program, which he called, "Pro-Blue".  

"Pro-Blue", for General Walker, meant "Anti-Red."

Walker's Pro-Blue Troop Training program included much literature by Robert Welch, the leader of the John Birch Society, as well as many other books published by the JBS.   In addition, General Walker included a traveling speaker's program, in which he would, at great expense, ship over from the USA the best-known speakers for the JBS. 

Many of these speakers were former US Military leaders, and so had a great deal of stature among the 10,000 Troops at Augsburg, Germany, and their dependents.

It was the great success of the Pro-Blue program in Augsburg that became the target of the Overseas Weekly Army newspaper in Europe, when that newspaper decided to get revenge on General Walker for his lawsuit against them.   That was on April 16, 1961.   The next day, April 17, 1961, General Walker was out of a job.

It wasn't JFK who fired General Walker.   It was the Pentagon who fired him from that post.   And it wasn't over the JBS -- they didn't give a damn about that -- it was over the fact that General Walker failed to get along with his peers in Europe, and caused a scandal during the Cold War. 

Another good source of this story is the April 1962 Senate Subcommittee Hearings on Military Preparedness.   General Walker testified for hours at those hearings, defending his actions and practically begging for his job back.

Another good source of this story is the April 16, 1961 issue of the Overseas Weekly newspaper.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

P.S.  The reason I didn't respond to this post for three days is because I had no idea this thread existed.  Hint: when you address me in a totally new thread, please send me a personal Message that you did that.  I find the new FORUM format to be less easy to operate than the old format.

Edited by Paul Trejo

Huh? 

By the way, are you aware that Lyman Lemnitzer wrote to Walker praising his pro-blue program?

Paul B -- you don't know the writings of Chris Cravens?

I knew about Chris Cravens before I encountered Jeff Caufield.    We both agree that he was the expert in General Walker in the 1990's -- but nobody read his work.

His work is cited in the Wikipedia entry on Edwin Walker -- footnotes 15, 18 and 40.

His major work is entitled, Edwin A. Walker and the Right Wing in Dallas, Texas (1960-1964), IIRC.   Although Cravens was a fan of Walker and tried to salvage his reputation, he is also a scholar and showed admirable objectivity in telling some surprising facts about Walker.

For example, Cravens fully documents the fact that Ex-General Edwin Walker orchestrated the humiliation of Adlai Stevenson in Dallas on 10/24/1963.   His work is a must-read.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

So if Cravens is the source for your statement that Walker was promoted to Augsburg on the secret condition that he indoctrinate his troops with JBS propaganda, could you get your copy out and fill that in a bit? Who asked him secretly to do that? 

Are you aware that Lemnitzer wrote to Walker praising his propaganda efforts?

Edited by Paul Brancato

14 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

So if Cravens is the source for your statement that Walker was promoted to Augsburg on the secret condition that he indoctrinate his troops with JBS propaganda, could you get your copy out and fill that in a bit? Who asked him secretly to do that? 

Are you aware that Lemnitzer wrote to Walker praising his propaganda efforts?

Paul B.,

Aha, you misunderstood my statement.

I never said that Eisenhower was part of the secret -- only that Walker took the job with this secret purpose.

The secret was between Walker and the JBS leadership.

However, when Walker was tried *after* he was kicked off his post, the Pentagon made it clear that they didn't find anything wrong with the JBS propaganda, but their main objection was that Walker had insulted Harry Truman and Eleanor Roosevelt (following right-wing literature).

Also, they didn't like Walker's efforts in pushing his Troops to vote his way in the 1960 election.  But Walker's unforgivable sin was failing to get along with the Overseas Weekly Army newspaper in Europe during the Cold War.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

35 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

Paul B.,

Aha, you misunderstood my statement.

I never said that Ike was part of the secret -- only that Walker took the job with this secret purpose.

Regards 

--Paul Trejo

Paul, It is hardly a misreading. A reader would be hard-pressed to come up with your latter interpretation.

You wrote:

"When Eisenhower rejected Walker's resignation, but instead gave him a command over thousands of troops in Augsburg, Germany, Walker accepted the position -- his biggest promotion ever -- on the secret condition that he would promote JBS literature to his troops."

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Michael Clark