The Education Forum

ON TRIAL: LEE HARVEY OSWALD" Trial Of Lee Harvey Oswald (PART 23) (CLOSING ARGUMENTS AND VERDICT)

Paul, are you telling me and the rest of the forum that Ruth Paine admitted to you (one on one ) that Michael Paine did say to her on the phone that weekend "We both know who's responsible."?

In regards to who was responsible for JFK's death?  And that she and Michael Paine suspected it was the same people who printed those "Wanted For Treason" flyers and that similarly indicting DMN ad?

That she personally verified this conversation between her and her husband on the day it was reported as truly happening?

Do you have Ruth Paine "on tape" saying this to you?

Referring back to the original Lee Oswald trial thread context, Ruth Paine in her testimony as shown in the clips on You Tube never alluded at all to this shared suspicion she and her husband had about others besides Oswald alone possibly being responsible for JFK's murder.

She instead testified that what struck her was the reality that a man so ordinary as Oswald could do something as horrible and history changing as the killing of JFK..

But you got the impression that she thought Oswald was responsible...without at all mentioning the ( others involved ) sentiment and suspicion she told Paul she shared with her husband that November weekend in 1963.

I have seen another interview clip of her from years earlier than the London trial where she also expressed this same singular take on Oswald, but again never mentioning this view she shared with Paul regards her and Michael Paine's phone call.

If Ms. Paine had told Gerry Spence what she told Paul about that phone call...one wonders where Spence would have taken that startling ( to me anyway ) statement.

Edited by Joe Bauer

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I seem to remember reading a discussion (Was it in Mrs. Paine's Garage?)  of the "We both know who's responsible" comment in which the Paines insisted the reference was to Marina, and that they'd both felt Marina had played head games with Lee that had contributed to his instability.

7 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

FWIW, I seem to remember reading a discussion (Was it in Mrs. Paine's Garage?)  of the "We both know who's responsible" comment in which the Paines insisted the reference was to Marina, and that they'd both felt Marina had played head games with Lee that had contributed to his instability.

That's one I have never heard before Pat.   Strangely off the wall to me.

Ruth Paine always seemed to disparage Lee "singularly" to a strong degree in her public interviews recounting her time with both he and Marina. Saying ( paraphrasing here ) that Lee was uncommunicative, unfriendly, unappreciative and thought he was smarter than others, and  "he used my typewriter without asking ... which upset me very much."

Ruth Paine hated Lee Oswald. And she never mentions anything or even hints at anything ( in her public statements that I ever heard about ) that would infer blaming Marina for any of Lee's boorish or anti-social behavior.

But, if Paul's recounting of Ruth Paine's one to one admission to him that the " we both know who's responsible " telephone call happened and that comment was truly spoken during this call and she and her estranged husband believed others were involved with JFK's killing, that means she and her husband thought there was a conspiracy from the first day!

I would love to ask Ms. Paine about this conversation with Paul and whether she actually said what Paul claims she said to him regards the call and that specific statement of responsibility and what she and Michael Paine honestly meant and believed in reference to it. 

Edited by Joe Bauer

Joe, if you live in California, that should not he too hard to do.

She lives in a senior citizens center on the coast.  I think its Santa Maria.

Well, Jim, I do live in California.

On the Monterey Peninsula. Next to Pebble Beach, Carmel and just up the Coast from Big Sur.

If you ever care to see this new TV show " Big Little Lies" starring Reese Witherspooon and Nicole Kidman, you will see many actual location shots of where I have lived all my life.

If I could get Ruth Paine's actual address and felt she might actually respond to a letter, I would send one to her.

Maybe she would agree to talk to me personally?

But my guess is she has so many inquiries like this that she either cuts them all off now or perhaps only does one every few years?

I would never just appear at her residence without first asking her permission.

Oh, and I also live very close to the Defense Language School here that some believe Lee Harvey Oswald attended.

I went all through school here with dozens of children of employees of this facility.

It's an intriguing place.

All the military facilities here including DLI closed themselves to the public with noticeable increases in physical security two days "before" 9/11.

Where I worked, same thing. You just knew something big and ominous was about to take place when this happened.

First time in my life here I had ever seen that happen.

Edited by Joe Bauer

17 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

On the Monterey Peninsula. Next to Pebble Beach, Carmel and just up the Coast from Big Sur.

If you ever care to see this new TV show " Big Little Lies" starring Reese Witherspooon and Nicole Kidman, you will see many actual location shots of where I have lived all my life.

If I could get Ruth Paine's actual address and felt she might actually respond to a letter, I would send one to her.

But my guess is she has so many inquiries like this that she either cuts them all off now or perhaps only does one every few years?

Oh, and I also live very close to the Defense Language School here that some believe Lee Harvey Oswald attended.

I went all through school here with dozens of children of employees of this facility.

All the military facilities here including DLI closed themselves to the public with noticeable increases in physical security two days "before" 9/11.

Where I worked, same thing. You just knew something big and ominous was about to take place when this happened.

Thanks for the heads-up, Joe. I take my son to the Monterey Bay Aquarium almost every year, and have been telling myself I should stop by the Defense Language Institute to see if they have any records for Oswald, or Hidel, etc. Apparently, that would have been a waste of time. Thanks.  Next time I'll be able to head straight to Old Capitol Books and Rosine's without feeling that I should be over at DLI.

Edited by Pat Speer

18 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Joe. I take my son to the Monterey Bay Aquarium almost every year, and have been telling myself I should stop by the Defense Language Institute to see if they have any records for Oswald, or Hidel, etc. Apparently, that would have been a waste of time. Thanks.  Next time I'll be able to head straight to Old Capitol Books and Rosine's without feeling that I should be over at DLI.

Pat !

My wife and I get hot sandwiches to go from Rosines all the time!

And Old Capital Books? 

You know Monterey.

Heck, would love for you to visit me here. 

That invitation is open to any of the members of this forum.

I was a hotel concierge for years here and with some notice I could arrange lodging and dining accommodations ( I know the best restaurants ) and even be a "tour guide" of sorts for any of you.

As far as visiting the DLI ... forget it.

Security there is still on high alert ever since 9-11.

15 years!

Two city streets that ran through the facility with public access for ever, were shut down and have never been re-opened in all those 15 years.

The traffic here is horrible at rush hour due to the shutting down of those two main artery commute roads.

Edited by Joe Bauer

http://www.sonomanews.com/csp/mediapool/sites/SIT/News/story.csp?cid=3385893&sid=744&fid=181

Joe, you should be able to find it from this story.  

Joe, Ruth Paine lives in Santa Rosa. To those who don't know that is 50 miles N. of San Francisco, last i heard in a retirement home. This is I believe, her last filmed appearance there. As far as interviewing her. I'm trying to remember but I think it was a LNer named Bill Brown from the JFK Assassination Forum who interviewed her about 5 years ago, who said she asked a standard question before granting interviews. I believe it was asking about General Walker. She wanted to know first before doing an interview if the interviewer was aware of LHO's alleged attempted taking of Walker's life. Which she readily goes into here at the beginning.  

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

That is really funny, no wonder her and PT love each other.

Birds of a feather.:lol:

James, who is PT?

I just watched the entire "Living With The Oswald's" Ruth Paine talk video.

Still contemplating what I heard from Ruth Paine.

When she recounted the frequent bickering between Marina and Lee and how they put each other down constantly and how unpleasant and "not good" this was in her view, she added that Marina's input in this bickering was a bit more "facile?" than Lee?

Did I hear Mrs. Paine correctly with that word "facile?"

If it was this word, did she mean that Marina was a bit sharper tounged and more energetic and direct in this bickering with Lee?

Which she then added that Lee would often respond to with a simple "shut up."

I mention this as it does coincide ( a little ) with Pat Speer's post mentioning the hear-say that Ruth Paine and Michael Paine may have thought that Marina drove Oswald somewhat crazy with her demeaning verbal abuse of him in reference to the reported "We both know who's responsible" call.

None the less, Ruth Paine once again mentioned that she thought Oswald indeed tried to kill Walker and that she thought he was a very dangerous and mentally unstable man, inferring to my mind that she believed he was certainly capable of shooting JFK.

She did mention the anti-JFK propaganda in Dallas just before his arrival and how she felt Dallas was an extremely JFK hating hostile place and she felt some unease with his safety there.

Lot of mixed feelings about Ms. Paine and her talk here.

A few odd moments.

She mentions once ( somewhat stammering ) that she went to visit  "peoples"?...And she just skips to being at Oswald's rooming house or somewhere else where he had his bags packed and he asked her for a ride to the bus station. She mentions clearly at that time that he ( Lee ) didn't have a car or even drive.

Guess that clears up that question ( did Oswald know how to drive? ) for that time period. 

I thought this recollection was odd and purposely poorly explained and missing something. Had Oswald called her for this help? She obviously was alone when she did this and she says she advised Lee that it would be better if Marina continued staying with her and could meet him in NO at a later date.

When she recounted her weeks long vacation to visit family in Washington DC after dropping Marina and the baby off at Lee's NO cockroach crawling apartment with little furniture, I wondered how much this cost her. Sounds like money was not a problem for Ruth Paine at that time.

This note that happened to fall out of the hand book that Marina had asked her to send to her after she left Ruth's home - the one that gives instructions to Marina in case Lee didn't make it back from his Walker adventure ... how intriguingly curious is that episode?

Ruth Paine seems like she had formulated her own conclusion as to what Lee was up to and came to believe he was certainly the responsible party in the Walker shooting. And how this impacted her deeply about viewing Oswald in a much different and unstable light than before the JFK event. I think that she decided he was a scary dangerous loon with a murderous bent after those discoveries ( like the advice book note ) and from what she personally saw and read herself later on.

She concludes her talk by saying she felt Oswald shot at Walker, and killed JFK for the "notoriety."  

And did she mention the Tippit killing? Can't remember.

But again, no mention of what Paul says she told him in 2015. That she and Michael felt that the powerful extreme right wing people who created those JFK hate leaflets and DMN ad were who they were referring to in their "We both know who's responsible" telephone call that first weekend.

I don't know if Ruth Paine is still at this retirement facility up in Sonoma. Or maybe  4 years after this video that she even has the desire or even mental strength to respond to a letter asking her about Paul Trejo's post where he claims she told him about her and Michael Paine's belief of these JFK hate groups being responsible for JFK's death.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to perhaps send a letter asking her whether she actually said such a thing.

Over all Ruth Paine's Story is narrow in its scope ( relative to the entire Lee and Marina and JFK story ) as one would expect as she was supposed to be talking about just "her time" being personally involved with Lee and Marina.

But for her to state a personal belief conclusion ( beyond just her recollections of her interactions with Lee and Marina ) that Oswald committed these horribly violent acts ( Walker-JFK ) simply for notoriety...without any mention or consideration of Oswald's unusual military and Russian travel background, his connection to White Russians like George DM and his provocative political shenanigans in New Orleans and reported visits to Clinton the Summer of 1963 is just not worthy of serious and responsible consideration.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, Joe Bauer said:

Paul, are you telling me and the rest of the forum that Ruth Paine admitted to you (one on one ) that Michael Paine did say to her on the phone that weekend "We both know who's responsible."?

In regards to who was responsible for JFK's death?  And that she and Michael Paine suspected it was the same people who printed those "Wanted For Treason" flyers and that similarly indicting DMN ad?

That she personally verified this conversation between her and her husband on the day it was reported as truly happening?

Do you have Ruth Paine "on tape" saying this to you?

Referring back to the original Lee Oswald trial thread context, Ruth Paine in her testimony as shown in the clips on You Tube never alluded at all to this shared suspicion she and her husband had about others besides Oswald alone possibly being responsible for JFK's murder.

She instead testified that what struck her was the reality that a man so ordinary as Oswald could do something as horrible and history changing as the killing of JFK..

But you got the impression that she thought Oswald was responsible...without at all mentioning the ( others involved ) sentiment and suspicion she told Paul she shared with her husband that November weekend in 1963.

I have seen another interview clip of her from years earlier than the London trial where she also expressed this same singular take on Oswald, but again never mentioning this view she shared with Paul regards her and Michael Paine's phone call.

If Ms. Paine had told Gerry Spence what she told Paul about that phone call...one wonders where Spence would have taken that startling ( to me anyway ) statement.

Joe,

Yes, it's the truth.  I spoke with Ruth Paine in December, 2015, and she admitted openly to me that she and Michael Paine did have a telephone conversation on the day of the JFK assassination, in which Michael Paine said, "We both know who's responsible."

Ruth Paine explained to me that the meaning was generic not specific.  It was generically the same ones who published the "Wanted for Treason: JFK" handbills circulating through the Dallas streets, and the DMN full page, black bordered ad, "Welcome Mister Kennedy, to Dallas..."

It was like Hoke Coleburn told Miss Daisy, ""You know good as me, Miss Daisy, it always be the same ones." 

I do not have Ruth Paine on tape for this.  However, I can say this -- Ruth Paine is willing to talk to any legitimate JFK researcher who proves his or her legitimacy by (1) reading every stitch of her WC testimony; (2) watching all her YouTube videos and interviews; and (3) promising not to scream nasty accusations in her face.

Given these criteria, anybody can verify with Ruth Paine exactly what I said.

Also, I never had the impression that Ruth Paine thought that Lee Oswald (alone) was responsible for the JFK assassination.  My impression from Ruth herself was that she remains unconvinced that Lee Oswald (alone) killed JFK, but that the circumstantial evidence piled up against him seems overwhelming.  Yet Ruth still remains open to alternate views -- even after a half-century. 

So, I recommended to her the recent publications of the ARRB.  She had not seen those yet.

In any case, Joe, you yourself can confirm this with Ruth Paine personally.  She is the most open WC witness of all US history.  She has given more interviews than anybody else.  She is also the most consistent -- she has never changed her story one bit (to the very best of my knowledge) from the start.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

14 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

James, who is PT?

I just watched the entire "Living With The Oswald's" Ruth Paine talk video.

She mentions once ( somewhat stammering ) that she went to visit  "peoples"?...And she just skips to being at Oswald's rooming house or somewhere else where he had his bags packed and he asked her for a ride to the bus station. She mentions clearly at that time that he ( Lee ) didn't have a car or even drive.

Guess that clears up that question ( did Oswald know how to drive? ) for that time period. 

I thought this recollection was odd and purposely poorly explained and missing something. Had Oswald called her for this help? She obviously was alone when she did this and she says she advised Lee that it would be better if Marina continued staying with her and could meet him in NO at a later date.

When she recounted her weeks long vacation to visit family in Washington DC after dropping Marina and the baby off at Lee's NO cockroach crawling apartment with little furniture, I wondered how much this cost her. Sounds like money was not a problem for Ruth Paine at that time.

This note that happened to fall out of the hand book that Marina had asked her to send to her after she left Ruth's home - the one that gives instructions to Marina in case Lee didn't make it back from his Walker adventure ... how intriguingly curious is that episode?

Ruth Paine seems like she had formulated her own conclusion as to what Lee was up to and came to believe he was certainly the responsible party in the Walker shooting. And how this impacted her deeply about viewing Oswald in a much different and unstable light than before the JFK event. I think that she decided he was a scary dangerous loon with a murderous bent after those discoveries ( like the advice book note ) and from what she personally saw and read herself later on.

She concludes her talk by saying she felt Oswald shot at Walker, and killed JFK for the "notoriety."  

And did she mention the Tippit killing? Can't remember.

But again, no mention of what Paul says she told him in 2015. That she and Michael felt that the powerful extreme right wing people who created those JFK hate leaflets and DMN ad were who they were referring to in their "We both know who's responsible" telephone call that first weekend.

I don't know if Ruth Paine is still at this retirement facility up in Sonoma. Or maybe  4 years after this video that she even has the desire or even mental strength to respond to a letter asking her about Paul Trejo's post where he claims she told him about her and Michael Paine's belief of these JFK hate groups being responsible for JFK's death.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to perhaps send a letter asking her whether she actually said such a thing.

Over all Ruth Paine's Story is narrow in its scope ( relative to the entire Lee and Marina and JFK story ) as one would expect as she was supposed to be talking about just "her time" being personally involved with Lee and Marina.

But for her to state a personal belief conclusion ( beyond just her recollections of her interactions with Lee and Marina ) that Oswald committed these horribly violent acts ( Walker-JFK ) simply for notoriety...without any mention or consideration of Oswald's unusual military and Russian travel background, his connection to White Russians like George DM and his provocative political shenanigans in New Orleans and reported visits to Clinton the Summer of 1963 is just not worthy of serious and responsible consideration.

Joe,

PT is Paul Trejo; me.

About Ruth Paine's last public interview, here are my comments in response to yours:

1. The incident when she was at Oswald's home where his bags were packed and asking for a ride to the bus station was in April, 1963, at the Neeley Street address.

2. This account is fully explained in her WC testimony.  Ruth Paine answered more than five thousand questions for the WC -- several times more than the major WC witnesses.

3. Oswald was expecting Ruth Paine to visit Marina that day -- because Ruth Paine had a fairly regular schedule of bringing her kids over to play with baby June, and the women going to a park and talking.

4. Oswald was eager to get going to New Orleans.  He had just taken a shot at Walker only a week before (unknown to Ruth), and he had lost his job at JCS only two weeks before.  Marina was pregnant and LHO had no money and no more friends in Dallas (i.e. George DeM was unimpressed with the Walker shooting).

5.  LHO was all packed up and ready to go, and Ruth Paine was surprised to see him there at Neeley Street, because she thought he would be at work. 

6.  LHO didn't tell Marina he was fired until days later, and Marina never told Ruth Paine -- she was so embarrassed.

7.  It was embarrassing -- Ruth packed everybody into her station wagon and took Lee to the greyhound station, where Lee bought two bus tickets.  His plan was that he would go to New Orleans that night, and that Marina would stay alone with baby June at Neeley Street. 

7.1.  When Lee was settled in New Orleans, he said, he would write Marina a letter (they didn't have a telephone) and pregnant Marina would pack up her things with baby June, and use her bus ticket to ride the bus (with no English) to this new town, New Orleans.

8.  Ruth Paine had a brilliant idea (in her opinion).  She would instead just move Marina and June to Ruth's house, and Lee could use Ruth's telephone to call Marina when he was ready, and then Ruth would personally drive Marina to New Orleans.  (Ruth explained that she was concerned for her friend Marina, mainly because Marina was pregnant.)

9.  LHO jumped at the chance -- he took Marina's bus ticket back and cashed it in, gave Marina only part of that money, and he left his bags with greyhound, and they all went back to Neeley Street as LHO packed Marina and June's stuff into Ruth Paine's station wagon, and Ruth drove away with her kids, Marina and baby June. 

9.1. Lee slept on the Neely apartment floor that night, and took the bus to the greyhound early next morning.

10.  Maybe LHO really manipulated Ruth Paine into taking care of Marina for him -- but maybe not -- maybe it really was all Ruth's idea. 

11. BTW, Ruth knew that Lee couldn't drive because she herself gave him driving lessons in October, 1963, and he was lousy at it, though eager to learn.  (This boy was deprived.)

12.  Ruth Paine came from a wealthy family.  Money was never a problem for her.  She regularly took 3-month summer vacations with her close-knit family.

13.  I find nothing suspicious in the Walker letter which Marina says LHO wrote for her on the night of the Walker shooting.  I believe everything that Marina and Ruth said about it.  Every word.  It is bizarre to me to read that anybody disbelieves them.

12.  Ruth Paine got all her information about LHO from Marina Oswald.  Ruth liked Marina very much -- they were both college-educated mothers in Texas -- a rarity in Ruth's world.  Marina was intellectual conversation for Ruth -- very valuable.

13.  The only reason that Ruth Paine believed that LHO shot at Walker was because, after the JFK murder, Marina Oswald told Ruth that.   The Walker letter was strong evidence that Marina told the truth.  Marina was never shifty in the eyes of Ruth Paine. 

14.  For Ruth, Marina was an honest person, who was unfortunately the victim of poverty brought upon her by Lee Harvey Oswald.  Without him, both Marina and Ruth agreed, Marina could become a successful working mother in the USA.  They worked out this contingency plan just in case LHO abandoned Marina -- which was always a possibility, since his behavior was increasingly erratic.

15.  But Marina never told Ruth about the Walker shooting until after the JFK murder.  Ruth Paine would have never guessed it in a million years. 

16.  Even when the DPD cops asked Ruth Paine, on the day of the JFK murder, if she had any guns in the house, Ruth immediately said, "No!"  She translated for Marina, and Marina immediately said, "Yes we do!"  Ruth was stunned.

17.  Marina led the DPD cops to Ruth Paine's garage, and showed them the blanket on the floor where she had last seen LHO's rifle.  A DPD cop lifted the blanket, and it folded in half -- the blanket was now empty -- and Marina Oswald turned white as a sheet.

18.  All Marina could say to Ruth Paine after that was, "I'm so sorry; I'm so sorry; I'm so sorry."

19.  Ruth Paine still liked Marina Oswald after that.  Ruth planned that Marina Oswald would continue to live together -- and be lifelong friends.

20.  However, Robert Oswald hated and despised Ruth Paine and especially Michael Paine -- on sight.  Michael did not have a firm handshake -- that disgusted Robert Oswald. 

21.  Robert Oswald insisted to Marina Oswald that he never speak to Ruth Paine again.  Marina agreed -- after all -- Robert Oswald was now her closest living relative in the USA.  It was now a family affair.

22.  Ruth Paine was stymied by Marina's turn.  Ruth was hurt for years -- decades, actually.

23.  Ruth Paine told me that she had strongly doubted that Lee killed JFK, but that the evidence provided by the Warren Commission was "overwhelming."  It was just too much, and too obvious, and Lee's involvement in the JFK murder was "undeniable."

24.  However, she is still willing to consider that Lee was involved with "others" in the JFK murder.

25.  Excluding that option (as many still firmly exclude it), Ruth was asked for any possible "motivation" that Lee might have had in killing JFK. 

26.  Well, there was no motive!  Ruth could think of noneLee was a quasi-Marxist in words, only.  Lee belonged to no radical group that she knew of.  She could tell if a person was a member of the Communist Party -- she had known such people on the East Coast.  She could tell if a person was a true radical -- their language would be unmistakable.  Lee Oswald simply wasn't like them!

27.  Therefore, given the WC conclusion that LHO acted *ALONE* then Ruth could think of only one possible reason for his behavior -- "notoriety".  Ruth knows this is a weak reply.

28.  As for Ruth's opinion of LHO -- he was mostly a pest to her.  He acted like a leech.  He never offered to pay her for anything -- not even for the food he ate on the weekends at her house.  He never brought food over for his own baby June.  NOTHING.

29.  LHO did please Ruth for one week in their life -- on one of the weekends in October he helped around the house, fixed one of her doors, and played with all the children, amusing them while the women worked.  Ruth told her mother that she was finally warming up to Lee.

30.  Things changed radically the next week, however, when the FBI came around, and then Lee wrote his infamous Moscow Embassy letter.  Then Ruth returned to resenting Lee.  She liked Marina Oswald so much -- and yet here was this pest...

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos and clarification

On 3/18/2017 at 6:45 PM, Joe Bauer said:

That's a real nice area you live. Joe.

I ran the Big Sur Marathon some years ago and stayed in Monterey. Absolutely beautiful, and had a wonderful time in the area. Maybe I'll get back out there one day.

Just remember Joe, if you call her, tell her that Oswald shot at Walker, even though he didn't.

You may want to ask her, 1.)  Why didn't the DPD suspect Oswald for over seven months in that case, and 2.)  Is there any source for her saying the people who bought the signs were responsible prior to the interview with PT?  After all that is only 52 years.