Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James DiEugenio

Who was Richard Cain?

8 posts in this topic

I was doing some reading today in a new book and this author spends some time on Richard Cain.  Except his description of Cain has him in more than one camp at one time.

Namely he was not just in the Mafia, but also he has ties to the CIA and the FBI.  IF I recall correctly did not Escalante actually name him as one of the assassins in the Cuban G2 TV special on the JFK case?

I have never written about him at any length.  But can anyone name a good, reliable  source for a biography of Cain.

Jim, his stepbrother wrote a detailed bio and presented twice at Lancer on him.  I discuss him a bit in SWHT and there are a ton of MFF files dealing with him....unfortunately a number of people write about his CIA connections without really doing the homework on that, a search will show  you what the CIA really thought of him - suggested by the fact that they refused several approaches from him to provide info in Mexico City (pre assassination).  Basically he was a Giancana source and asset within Chicago PD and eventually ended up - after the assassination - in Mexico with Giancana.  I'll try to recall the name of the book, its buried somewhere under tons of other books in deep storage...

Thanks Larry, so from you he was a Chicago cop who was an asset of Giancana.  

And we he tried to approach CIA about MC, they didn't want to hear from him?

I would appreciate that source when you can get it.

The Spartacus overview seems quite through to me and I think much of it is from the book I mentioned which is cited in the overview; you can get it at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Tangled+Web%3A+The+Life+and+Death+of+Richard+Cain&x=16&y=15

Two minor points,  Cain did set up an investigative business in Mexico City and appears to have done some training but his approach to the CIA was simply an offer to provide human intelligence rather than to offer his service in placing bugs or wiretaps (a claim that often appears in JFK books and articles).  The CIA didn't see any value in his contacts and simply rebuffed him.  There is a possibility that Cain was part of the courier chain to get the first poison into Cuba for the initial attempt on Castro, no proof of that but he was in Florida at the right time and might even have carried it into the country.  Just speculation though. 

Another minor point is that Cain is sometimes mentioned as having provided the information on tracing the Carcano back to the firm that ostensibly sold it to Oswald.  That is not correct and occurred because Cain is mentioned in a document which is in the same batch of documents which does contain info on the rifle.  Its a common mistake since the FBI sometimes placed a number of related documents together in investigative files - related either by city or time frame, if you are not reading very closely its easy to get lost.

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

Larry,

The Spartacus overview seems quite through to me and I think much of it is from the book I mentioned which is cited in the overview; you can get it at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Tangled+Web%3A+The+Life+and+Death+of+Richard+Cain&x=16&y=15

Would you happen to know, and I'm too lazy to research it right now, if Cain was involved in the Special Services "Red Squad" while he worked in the Chicago PD?

I'm just curious. The Spartacus entry says that he worked in the "Detective Bureau" and "Cain developed a reputation as being a good cop when he was dealing with non-mob-related activities. He often invited the press along to raid on brothels and gambling dens."  These are areas that the Dallas Special Services Bureau was involved with.

My curiosity was aroused the day I was reading an FBI report one day on Alpha 66 in New York, and discovered that the information to the FBI was being supplied by Jack Caulfied (of Watergate fame). Caulfield and Tony Ulacewicz both came out of New York's BOSS (or Special Services Bureau.)

Steve Thomas

Off the top of the head I think he was involved in vice and possibly the crime squad ....which is why he was so useful to Giancana.  Apparently he was a good cop until he realized he could be a cop and still make good money on the side...