The Education Forum

Photographic identification of Gloria Calvery, Karan Hicks, and Carol Reed.

I have shown in another identification thread that, in the Z-Frame below and in the Darnell clip shot on the Elm Street sidewalk, the group comprised of dark-complected Native American Stella Jacob and her two light-skinned colleagues, Gloria Holt and Sharron Simmons, were mislabeled as Gloria Calvery, Karan Hicks, and Carol Reed, respectively.  Having done that, I felt it was incumbent upon me to try to locate the real Calvery, the real Hicks, and the real Reed in the photos and films that were taken of the motorcade.

Over the next couple of days I'll explain why Sandy Larsen and I feel that we have done just that (with input from Robin Unger and Robert Prudhomme), and why we believe Calvery, Hicks, and Reed (plus Karen Westbrook and June Dishong) were standing ten-to-twenty feet up the north-side Elm Street sidewalk from Jacob, Holt, and Simmons when JFK was assassinated. As such, they would have been among the very nearest witnesses to the first shot that hit JFK, and Gloria Calvery would have been even more within "dashing distance" to the concrete "Island" across Elm Street Extension from the TSBD, where allegedly, a few seconds after the assassination, she relayed what she'd seen to William Shelley (a supervisor at the TSBD who had, ironically, been Best Man at Gloria's wedding a few months earlier). 

temoins071.jpg

--  Tommy :sun

[continued below]

Edited by Thomas Graves

Let me start with Gloria Calvery. 

1 ) From her high school and wedding photographs, we have a good idea what Gloria Calvery looked like.  We know she was a full-faced, always glasses-wearing, large-framed gal, and that she was almost as tall as her husband.

Gloria Jean <i>Little</i> Calvery

2 )  We know from Calvery's FBI statement (and from those of the people mentioned in her statement, and from their statements) that she was standing, with four other ladies, "on the north side of Elm Street" "about half-way between Houston Street and the Triple Underpass." 

(Open the document, press "ctrl" and "F" at the same time, type calvery into the drop-down search box)  https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1381.pdf

3 )  Having eliminated the mislabeled "Gloria Calvary," "Karan Hicks," and Carol Reed" from consideration in the labeled Z-Frame below, and believing that the real Calvery, Hicks, and Reed must, due to what they'd said in their FBI statements, be fairly near "Calvary, Hicks, and Reed" in said Z-Frame, Sandy Larsen and I started to focus our attention on the four headscarf-wearing ladies standing together ten-to-twenty feet up the sidewalk from the CalvAry Group, (not realizing at the time that there is a fifth head-scarf wearing lady -- whom I believe to be "June" Inez Juanita Hart Dishong -- standing in front of the woman labeled "Jane Berry") because we noticed that of the twenty or-so women who are visible on the north side of Elm Street in that frame, only five of them are wearing headscarves (one of whom is my recently-identified, light-blue-scarf wearing Sharron Simmons at the far right of the frame).  I had a hunch that co-workers Calvery, Hicks, Reed, and Westbrook might all be wearing them as an unconscious example of "group bonding" or "conformity".

The tall, black headscarf-wearing woman standing to the right of "Peggy Burney" was of particular interest to me because no one seemed to know enough about her as to even hazard a guess about her identity!

temoins071.jpg

4 )  I found a photograph, taken during the motorcade by Hugh Betzner, which shows the same tall, black headscarf-wearing Mystery Woman standing in the background, on the other side of the "Queen Mary" follow-up car, and Sandy and I agreed that not only was she wearing her dark hair like the documented Gloria Calvery wore hers, but that she also appears to be wearing glasses.

Here she is, standing next to a "short" guy, John Templin, between the second and third Secret Service agents from the left. She's wearing a dark-colored blouse and headscarf. 

Betzner 3

XNQpYGp.jpg

The "short" guy she's standing "next to" is John Templin (who goes to Dealey Plaza every year on 11/22 with his friend, Ernest Brandt. Both of them are labeled correctly in the Z-Frame, below).

temoins071.jpg

5 ) Then Sandy and I started looking at the famous Couch-Darnell film (whom Robert Prudhomme and others were convinced showed Lovelady rising from a squat or leaning-over position to full heigh to the TSBD steps), in which we believed we had previously spotted Billy Lovelady talking with a woman, dressed in a dark-colored blouse and headscarf, in front of him on the steps about 30 seconds after the assassination.  I noticed that this woman was being physically "urged" to walk up the steps by the woman to her right, and Sandy noticed that the woman doing the "urging" was wearing a white dress and a white headscarf, just like the woman labeled "Betty Thornton" in the aforementioned Z-Frame.  Finally, I noticed that the woman "being urged" by this woman in white was not only wearing a dark-colored blouse and headscarf like the largish "Mystery Woman" on Elm Street, but that she was wearing a lighter-colored, boldly-patterned skirt like her, as well.

6 ) Bearing in mind that William Shelley said that he'd walked from the TSBD steps to the concrete "Island" immediately after the assassination and encountered a crying Gloria Calvery there, Sandy and I believe that the woman Lovelady is talking to on the front steps is Gloria Calvery, and that after Shelley left her to run inside the TSBD to call his wife, Gloria walked across Elm Street Extension to enter her workplace, the TSBD, and encountered Lovelady there on the steps and started talking with him there, as "captured" in Couch-Darnell.  Please note that a bit of Calvery's patterned, lighter-colored skirt can be glimpsed to the right of the dark-suited Turning Man's shoulder, and that although her dressed-in-white friend / colleague is walking up the steps while pulling on Clavery's right arm, Calvery remains stationary, talking to a man who looks an awful lot like Billy Nolan Lovelady. 

Darnellstabilized2.gif

[to be continued]

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 11 months later...
On 3/25/2017 at 5:43 PM, Thomas Graves said:

Let me start with Gloria Calvery. 

1 ) From her high school and wedding photographs, we have a good idea what Gloria Calvery looked like.  We know she was a full-faced, always glasses-wearing, large-framed gal, and that she was almost as tall as her husband.

Gloria Jean <i>Little</i> Calvery

2 )  We know from Calvery's FBI statement (and from those of the people mentioned in her statement, and from their statements) that she was standing, with four other ladies, "on the north side of Elm Street" "about half-way between Houston Street and the Triple Underpass." 

(Open the document, press "ctrl" and "F" at the same time, type calvery into the drop-down search box)  https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1381.pdf

3 )  Having eliminated the mislabeled "Gloria Calvary," "Karan Hicks," and Carol Reed" from consideration in the labeled Z-Frame below, and believing that the real Calvery, Hicks, and Reed must, due to what they'd said in their FBI statements, be fairly near "Calvary, Hicks, and Reed" in said Z-Frame, Sandy Larsen and I started to focus our attention on the four headscarf-wearing ladies standing together ten-to-twenty feet up the sidewalk from the CalvAry Group, (not realizing at the time that there is a fifth head-scarf wearing lady -- whom I believe to be "June" Inez Juanita Hart Dishong -- standing in front of the woman labeled "Jane Berry") because we noticed that of the twenty or-so women who are visible on the north side of Elm Street in that frame, only five of them are wearing headscarves (one of whom is my recently-identified, light-blue-scarf wearing Sharron Simmons at the far right of the frame).  I had a hunch that co-workers Calvery, Hicks, Reed, and Westbrook might all be wearing them as an unconscious example of "group bonding" or "conformity".

The tall, black headscarf-wearing woman standing to the right of "Peggy Burney" was of particular interest to me because no one seemed to know enough about her as to even hazard a guess about her identity!

temoins071.jpg

4 )  I found a photograph, taken during the motorcade by Hugh Betzner, which shows the same tall, black headscarf-wearing Mystery Woman standing in the background, on the other side of the "Queen Mary" follow-up car, and Sandy and I agreed that not only was she wearing her dark hair like the documented Gloria Calvery wore hers, but that she also appears to be wearing glasses.

Here she is, standing next to a "short" guy, John Templin, between the second and third Secret Service agents from the left. She's wearing a dark-colored blouse and headscarf. 

Betzner 3

XNQpYGp.jpg

The "short" guy she's standing "next to" is John Templin (who goes to Dealey Plaza every year on 11/22 with his friend, Ernest Brandt. Both of them are labeled correctly in the Z-Frame, below).

temoins071.jpg

5 ) Then Sandy and I started looking at the famous Couch-Darnell film (whom Robert Prudhomme and others were convinced showed Lovelady rising from a squat or leaning-over position to full heigh to the TSBD steps), in which we believed we had previously spotted Billy Lovelady talking with a woman, dressed in a dark-colored blouse and headscarf, in front of him on the steps about 30 seconds after the assassination.  I noticed that this woman was being physically "urged" to walk up the steps by the woman to her right, and Sandy noticed that the woman doing the "urging" was wearing a white dress and a white headscarf, just like the woman labeled "Betty Thornton" in the aforementioned Z-Frame.  Finally, I noticed that the woman "being urged" by this woman in white was not only wearing a dark-colored blouse and headscarf like the largish "Mystery Woman" on Elm Street, but that she was wearing a lighter-colored, boldly-patterned skirt like her, as well.

6 ) Bearing in mind that William Shelley said that he'd walked from the TSBD steps to the concrete "Island" immediately after the assassination and encountered a crying Gloria Calvery there, Sandy and I believe that the woman Lovelady is talking to on the front steps is Gloria Calvery, and that after Shelley left her to run inside the TSBD to call his wife, Gloria walked across Elm Street Extension to enter her workplace, the TSBD, and encountered Lovelady there on the steps and started talking with him there, as "captured" in Couch-Darnell.  Please note that a bit of Calvery's patterned, lighter-colored skirt can be glimpsed to the right of the dark-suited Turning Man's shoulder, and that although her dressed-in-white friend / colleague is walking up the steps while pulling on Clavery's right arm, Calvery remains stationary, talking to a man who looks an awful lot like Billy Nolan Lovelady. 

Darnellstabilized2.gif

[to be continued]

bumped