The Education Forum

New book - QJ/WIN: Who Killed JFK and Why

1. Chris, when I googled Larry Thorne, I saw he was Finnish and fought with the Nazis during WW2 . In the 50's he was granted a residence permit through an Act of Congress that was shepherded by the law firm of "Wild Bill" Donovan, former head of the Office of Strategic Services.

United States Army

Larry Thorne (Törni) joined the U.S. Army in 1954 under the provisions of the Lodge-Philbin Act and adopted the name Larry Thorne. In the US Army, he was befriended by a group of Finnish-American officers who came to be known as "Marttinen's Men."

With their support, Thorne was soon on his way into the Special Forces. While in the Special Forces, he taught skiing, survival, mountaineering, and guerrilla tactics. In turn he attended airborne school, and advanced in rank; attending Officer Candidate School, he was commissioned as a 1st lieutenant in the Signal Corps in 1957. He later received a regular commission and a promotion to captain in 1960. From 1958–62 he served in the 10th Special Forces Group in West Germany at Bad Tölz, where he was second in command of a search and recovery mission high in the Zagros mountains of Iran, which gained him a notable reputation. When he was in Germany, he briefly visited his relatives in Finland. In an episode of The Big Picture released in 1962 and composed of footage filmed in 1959, Thorne is shown as a lieutenant with the 10th Special Forces Group in the United States Army.

2. Vietnam War and death[edit]

Deploying to South Vietnam in November 1963 to support South Vietnamese forces in the Vietnam War, Thorne and Special Forces Detachment A-734 were stationed in the Tịnh Biên District and assigned to operate Civilian Irregular Defense Group (CIDG) encampments at Châu Lăng and later Tịnh Biên

During a fierce attack on the CIDG camp in Tịnh Biên, he received two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star Medal for valor during the battle.This attack would later be described by author Robin Moore in his book The Green Berets.

Thorne's second tour in Vietnam began in February 1965 with 5th Special Forces Group; he then transferred to Military Assistance Command, Vietnam – Studies and Observations Group (MACV–SOG), a classified U.S. special operations unit focusing on unconventional warfare in Vietnam, as a military advisor

Do you know when in Nov. 1963 did Larry Thorne deploy to South Vietnam?

4 hours ago, Chuck Schwartz said:

Do you know when in Nov. 1963 did Larry Thorne deploy to South Vietnam?

Just more coincidence theory.

Chuck,

I don't know the date but Larry fits the profile of a hired gun to the "T". If he was a CIA/SPECOPS asset, his "official" record as it appears today has most probably been scrubbed clean. I'd be surprised if it did not indicate he was in Vietnam prior to the assassination. Would Wild Bill have had anything to do with his early release from Finnish prison? If so, then his journey here was anything but benign. There is a lot left out of your bio above, I suggest reading here:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/larry-thorne.htm

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2017 at 6:33 AM, Steve Thomas said:

In 1960, while QJWIN was being prepped to go to Leopoldville, Captain Souetre was a French paratrooper, and he spent all of 1961 in prison. Whoever QJWIN was, the one

person he was not was Jean-Renee Souetre. Any involvement Souetre might have had with QJWIN would have to have come after February, 1962.

Steve Thomas

Bumped. Steve,

station chief in Congo Larry Devlin said that he refused to participate in the murder of Lumumba, and that he was given poisons for the operation by Sidney Gottlieb which he later disposed of. So was Sidney Gottlieb QJWIN?

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Rich Pope said:

Ok.  But do people think QJ-Win was one of the shooters?

Don’t think so. Personally I think he contracted the shooters.

Update - the co authors of the book are now each writing their own. One is due out in two weeks, the other, by Albarelli is due in November. I do not know what transpired to cause this, but I’m looking forward to both of them.