The Education Forum

1963, Heroin, Cocaine, and the assassination

Members,

Another thread was getting off-topic, so I thought I would open this one.

I am expecting that a research paper from another member will show up here.

Cheers,

Michael

••••edit.... I'm just dropping this off here so I don't have to bump the thread:

****edit.. dropping another link

Edit**** dropping another link so I don't have to bump this thread

http://www.madcowprod.com/2014/08/19/the-cia-double-dip-drugs-financial-fraud-in-st-petersburg/

Edited by Michael Clark

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lifton thread is going off-topic into an area that I would like to hear more about. 

So I am going to out Cliff Varnell as the member who I mentioned, in the first post, and hope that he might step in, here, with some analysis.

The Lifton thread is discussing the Sotheast-Asia drug trade. I believe I have seen Lansdale in, at least, the median area of implication in the drug trade. Since I, personally, see Landsdale as an intelligence-craft successor to the military-arts practitioner, MacArthur, as "Generalissimo" in the region, I am wondering if Cliff, or other members, see MacArthur with his knickers moistened by that same drug trade, prior to having left Asia for good?

MacArthur seems to be an odd figure to reference in this subject, but Henwasn't above absorbing questionable gifts of cash.

"MacArthur made $33,000 a year (plus a penthouse and expenses) while serving as the top military advisor in the Philippines18 and, while still on Corregidor in February 1942, accepted $500,000 from Manuel Quezon as a gratuity. By contrast, Eisenhower diplomatically refused Quezon’s offer of $100,000 as a gift when he left Manila in December 1939 "

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/DOCLIBS/MILITARYLAWREVIEW.NSF/20a66345129fe3d885256e5b00571830/085bbefdd7beee6d852573c5004a04ff/$FILE/Article 6 - By Fred L. Borch III.pdf

Edited by Michael Clark

My general take is that the drug/Intel connection is ubuquitous, but it's peripheral, not the reason for killing JFK. There are many better ideas. It's just that the suspects were also complicit in, or profited from drug trade. It's nothing new. Just look at the British Opium Wars. 

On 4/28/2017 at 0:03 AM, Paul Brancato said:

My general take is that the drug/Intel connection is ubuquitous, but it's peripheral, not the reason for killing JFK. There are many better ideas. It's just that the suspects were also complicit in, or profited from drug trade. It's nothing new. Just look at the British Opium Wars. 

Thanks Paul. I've been looking for an unspoken catalyst, something that would never be heard of by anyone. Drugs fit the bill; and drugs certainly ended-up floating to the top over the next 20 years.

Cliff seems to know a whole lot about that angle. If he ever publishes something I would be right on it.

Edited by Michael Clark

16 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Michael - thanks for trying to move the drug connection to a new thread.

Paul, your Final Charade thread was about a book no one has read, so the rest of that bit about who killed JFK and who covered it up finds fertile ground in a study of the drug trade.

Ditto the highly productive discussion of the Garrison investigation.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

16 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

So it's a co-incidence that most of the top suspected perps were involved in the drug trade?  That business didn't weigh at all on their decisions?

I think you're under-estimating the importance of the drug trade.

Why were the Rockefellers willing to nuke North Vietnam?

Not the Congo, Algeria, or Indonesia.

North Vietnam.

Who negotiated the partition of Laos at Geneva '62 -- against the wishes of the entire US military/foreign policy establishment -- which gave the Commies the Ho Chi Minh Trail and gave the CIA the opium fields?

W Averell Harriman.

Who hosted a sit down with Nikita Khrushchev and John D. Rockefeller 3 plus the heads of military-industrial giants in 1959?

Ave.

Who spearhead the transmission of Cable 243 on August 24, 1963 which gave US Amb Henry Cabot Lodge the green-light to effect a coup in So Vietnam?

Ave.

Who were the top Kennedy Administration officials on the job running the country 11/22/63?

Averell Harriman, McGeorge Bundy, and George Ball.

Who conducted American foreign policy in the days following the assassination?

Ave, but Johnson didn't take long to side-line him.

Up Dated Tackboard (covering the plot to kill Kennedy, the plot to kill Oswald to frame Fidel, narcotics trafficking.)

The Skull and Bones boys: Averell Harriman, McGeorge Bundy, Geo. HW Bush

MKNAOMI: Unknown operatives run out of Sidney Gottlieb's CIA Technical Services Staff -- dart-gun toting colonels and mobbed up drug cops.

Agency: Paul Helliwell, James J Angleton, William Harvey, David Morales, David Atlee Phillips

Outfit: Johnny Roselli, Santos Trafficante, Sam Giancana, Meyer Lansky, Eladio Del Valle

Military: Ed Landsdale, Lucien Conein, Curtis LeMay, Mitch WerBell

FBN: Charles Siragusa

Edited by Cliff Varnell

The Wise Men (although written from the Ivy League POV, the details and writing is wonderful if interested in this time period.  Highly recommended for those who wish to see into the world of the SPONSORS...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00768DB2S/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 

chronicle the activities of six gifted friends Dean Acheson, Charles E. Bohlen, W. Averell Harriman, George Kennan, Robert Lovett, and John J. McCloywho were instrumental in developing U.S. diplomacy from the 1930s to the Vietnam War. 

1 minute ago, Michael Clark said:

Cliff, do you have  top-five reading list that informs your perspective? Of course, I am looking for works that are outside of the normal JFKA angle.

Cheers, 

Michael

The Politics of Heroin, Alfred McCoy.

A Death in  November, Ellen J. Hammer

The Ends of Power, H. R. Haldeman

The Perils of Dominance, Gareth Porter

Spanning the Century, (Harriman bio), Rudy Abramson

9 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

The Politics of Heroin, Alfred McCoy.

A Death in  November, Ellen J. Hammer

The Ends of Power, H. R. Haldeman

The Perils of Dominance, Gareth Porter

Spanning the Century, (Harriman bio), Rudy Abramson

Thank you sir!

Cliff - two points. The thread wasn't intended to be about Final Charade.

Second - I never said the good old boys weren't dealing drugs, using the drug trade to finance their operations or line their bank accounts. I never said that the drug trade was unimportant. It's very important, and I'm very well read on the subject, so I know most of your references, and sympathize with your point of view. What I did say was that it wasn't the motive for the murder of JFK. I don't see any proof that JFK had targeted the drug trade the way he did the defense contractors, the oil industry, the steel industry, the Federal Reserve, or the national security establishment. I'm not even sure JFK knew the extent of the drug trade, the way we do in hindsight. But I am quite sure he wanted to end the Cold War. Of that there is ample proof in my opinion. The drug trade is an adjunct to foreign wars, and the illegal drug industry may have felt threatened by JFK's pro independence stance. But it was the wars themselves that JFK targeted, for moral reasons. Take a look at the thread about Indonesia. That's not a country that was being used for transport of drugs, yet it was important strategically, for minerals especially. And that brings me to Alan Dulles. Why on earth would you make the statement that Dulles was at most an alternate patsy, not a principal? That has the effect on me, like it or not, of causing me to dismiss your theories.